PDA

View Full Version : Josh McRoberts: Dunk of the Night

njpduke
10-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Anyone see McRoberts throw it down against the Bulls tonight? It was NBA.com's Dunk of the Night, and was also in the SportsCenter Top 10:

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/top_plays/2009/10/02/nba_091002_dunk_night.nba/

The man may not be an NBA star, but he sure does know how to dunk. I, for one, hope he finally has a breakout season...

FireOgilvie
10-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Nice. I was just about to post the same thing. Great dunk and he finished with 4 points and 6 rebounds, which led the Pacers. He also had 3 assists in his 26 minutes. He has a ton of talent, and he's only 22. I think he's going to be able to bring it all together in the next couple years. I also like that he grew out his hair.

Luol Deng had 15 points for the Bulls. Dahntay Jones had 7 points. Dunleavy didn't play because he's injured.

Oh, and Hansbrough, who turns TWENTY-FOUR in November, didn't play because he's also injured. He's older than Dwight Howard and only 11 months younger than LeBron, who just completed his 6th NBA season.

gep
10-03-2009, 03:06 AM
I also like that he grew out his hair.

I mentioned this in another thread (don't remember which... age, I guess). Josh had long hair in high school... crew cut at Duke, then long hair again in the NBA. I just wonder how much the "long hair" has an effect in his psyche in playing:rolleyes:

hc5duke
10-03-2009, 04:00 AM
I mentioned this in another thread (don't remember which... age, I guess). Josh had long hair in high school... crew cut at Duke, then long hair again in the NBA. I just wonder how much the "long hair" has an effect in his psyche in playing:rolleyes:

Jim Halpert's got some hops

cspan37421
10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
If memory serves me correctly, Christian Laettner also let his locks grow in his early NBA seasons with the T-wolves.

Devilsfan
10-03-2009, 10:46 AM
McRob reminds me of a story I once read in some very popular book about a character named Sampson. Best of luck on a breakout season and don't get your haircut.

DukeSean
10-03-2009, 04:32 PM
McRob reminds me of a story I once read in some very popular book about a character named Sampson. Best of luck on a breakout season and don't get your haircut.

Maybe every Dukie should take the Nazarite vow.

SilkyJ
10-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Meh, nothing special. I've seen much sicker from mcbob himself. I remember the reverse alley he caught where he had to spin in midair cause the ball was thrown so poorly. Kid can dunk, but 2 pts is 2 pts and he has trouble finding 2 pts in other ways. Still a tremendous athlete with a good IQ that can rebound, pass, jump and dribble at 6'10/6'11"...should be a place for him somewhere...

chrisheery
10-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Meh, nothing special. I've seen much sicker from mcbob himself. I remember the reverse alley he caught where he had to spin in midair cause the ball was thrown so poorly. Kid can dunk, but 2 pts is 2 pts and he has trouble finding 2 pts in other ways. Still a tremendous athlete with a good IQ that can rebound, pass, jump and dribble at 6'10/6'11"...should be a place for him somewhere...

Yeah, imagine how well he could use all of those other skills if he just could shoot consistently. I can't understand having all those gifts and not figuring out the shooting part. Its the most important part of this game. I know Shaq can get away without knowing how, but he's a freak.

UrinalCake
10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
McBob gets a pretty bad rap from a lot of our fans but I still support him. He gave us plenty of highlights and IMO always played hard for Duke. I don't believe he had quite the negative impact on the team that other say he did (though it's not like I was ever in the locker room). If he had stayed another year I think a lot of his critics would have appreciated having him.

Good to see he's still flirting with being in the NBA. From a selfish standpoint, it's better that current recruits see Duke producing NBA players rather than highly-ranked "busts."

Edouble
10-07-2009, 01:37 AM
McBob gets a pretty bad rap from a lot of our fans but I still support him. He gave us plenty of highlights and IMO always played hard for Duke. I don't believe he had quite the negative impact on the team that other say he did (though it's not like I was ever in the locker room).

Imagine replacing McRoberts with Laettner on the 2006-07 team. We probably would have seen the same thing with the attitude. Josh was a really talented player on a team with little help. He whined and I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ed. Laettner had the same attitude issues, but had a bus full of players to both back him up and stand up to him.

sivartrenrag
10-07-2009, 01:44 AM
So I have the chance to see the Pacers play the Nuggets in Taipei... wonder if I should go. It'd be great to get a picture with Josh, Dahntay, and Mike (if he's there), and maybe one with Hansbrough that I can photoshop into something comical.

Tickets are pricy but it might be worth seeing some sick dunks by former Dukies...

SilkyJ
10-07-2009, 01:49 AM
So I have the chance to see the Pacers play the Nuggets in Taipei... wonder if I should go. It'd be great to get a picture with Josh, Dahntay, and Mike (if he's there), and maybe one with Hansbrough that I can photoshop into something comical.

Tickets are pricy but it might be worth seeing some sick dunks by former Dukies...

No idea what tickets are like, but its doubtful you'll have that many Dukies on the court in your neck of the woods any time soon - I say go for it!

sivartrenrag
10-07-2009, 02:00 AM
No idea what tickets are like, but its doubtful you'll have that many Dukies on the court in your neck of the woods any time soon - I say go for it!

Just checked about tickets and they are sold out... I wonder if there are scalpers in Taipei :D I'll head over there tomorrow and check. Really I just want to try and get there early and see if there's an off chance that a white kid with a Duke hat will stand out and see if I can get a picture during the warm-ups on the sidelines or something. Since it's just an exhibition/preseason game I feel like my chances are fairly good. I've actually never been to an NBA game, though, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Edouble
10-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Just checked about tickets and they are sold out... I wonder if there are scalpers in Taipei :D I'll head over there tomorrow and check. Really I just want to try and get there early and see if there's an off chance that a white kid with a Duke hat will stand out and see if I can get a picture during the warm-ups on the sidelines or something. Since it's just an exhibition/preseason game I feel like my chances are fairly good. I've actually never been to an NBA game, though, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Don't wear the hat when you are trying to buy the tickets!!!

sivartrenrag
10-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Don't wear the hat when you are trying to buy the tickets!!!

Why not? I don't think any Taiwanese scalpers are going to refuse to sell me a ticket because I have a Duke hat on. College basketball has no media coverage over here. When I tell my friends that college basketball is my favorite sport and that Duke is my favorite team, I get confused looks. Most of the time they can't understand why people would bother to watch college basketball - needless to say the skill level is significantly lower at universities here :D

Anyway, sorry for taking the thread off topic but it does involve Josh McRoberts and other Dukies :cool: