PDA

View Full Version : FB: West Virginia 35, Colorado 24

throatybeard
10-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Woah, when did WVU become a passing team? Just now I guess, post-White.

I seem to remember CU upset WVU last year in Boulder. As I like to refer to Morgantown as the Boulder of the East, I like this intersectional match-up.

hurleyfor3
10-01-2009, 08:32 PM
As I like to refer to Morgantown as the Boulder of the East

I'm familiar with both places. No place in WV is as socially liberal as Boulder is.

Come to think of it, doesn't CU deserve to be "Mountaineers" more than WVU does?

Those yellow unis hurt my eyes.

Jim3k
10-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Come to think of it, doesn't CU deserve to be "Mountaineers" more than WVU does?

Naw. Call them the Foothillsmen. Technically, Boulder is on the shoulder of the Front Range, more plains than mountains. Now its just Denver Suburbia. Historically, though, Buffaloes does work as a name.

OTOH, isn't Morgantown on the Monongahela? That would make them the River Rats or the Valley Voles or something. Certainly not Mountaineers. Coloradans hardly recognize the Appalachians as mountains, anyway. I think it's a testosterone thing. :D

hurleyfor3
10-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Coloradans hardly recognize the Appalachians as mountains, anyway. I think it's a testosterone thing. :D

*I* hardly recognize most of the Appalachians as mountains nowadays and I grew up in that general region. (WNC and northern New England still count. The Adirondacks too, although they aren't technically part of the Appalachians.)

YourLandlord
10-01-2009, 09:04 PM
The Adirondacks too, although they aren't technically part of the Appalachians.)

They're not? How does that work? are they not part of the same chain/formative method? (i don't know -- im asking)

sagegrouse
10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Naw. Call them the Foothillsmen. Technically, Boulder is on the shoulder of the Front Range, more plains than mountains. Now its just Denver Suburbia. Historically, though, Buffaloes does work as a name.

OTOH, isn't Morgantown on the Monongahela? That would make them the River Rats or the Valley Voles or something. Certainly not Mountaineers. Coloradans hardly recognize the Appalachians as mountains, anyway. I think it's a testosterone thing. :D

About Boulder:

It is, in fact, on the flatlands. The closest vertical features are the "Flat Irons," a series of vertical stone faces that rise many hundreds of feet. Quite amazing, actually.

Boulder, having a lot of young people, and being at the juncture of plains and mountains, is the world capital of "body Nazis." That is the term of art for folks who take part in high risk outdoor activities. In most cases, people seem to do more than one of the following:

Hang gliding, skydiving, various things in between (some of these contraptions have motors)

White-water rafting, kayaking, canoeing

Alpine skiing, Nordic skiing (cross-country), tree skiing, aerial skiing, snowboarding, terrain parks, etc., etc.

Mountaineering, rock climbing, ice climbing (what rock climbers do in winter)

Long-distance running, long distance running up mountains

Biking, mountain biking, etc., etc.

While the young women on Pearl Street are beautiful, especially in the summer, the climate in Boulder leaves a lot to be desired. It is very windy east of the Rockies (Chinooks, etc.). The mountains have a much nicer climate: cool in the summer and cold but not windy in the winter.

sagegrouse

throatybeard
10-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Well, look, I know. Morgantown, if memory serves, is only 900 feet above sea level. But one of the thing I've learned about what I call Western Appalachia (the other side of the eastern continental divide) is that stuff doesn't have to be that high to be very rugged. The best parts of WV are much higher, in the 4000+ range. But they don't have a research university in them. You offer me a job at WVU, and I'm there in 5 minutes.

These creamsicle unis have got to go though.

And EA is working this game. EA!

hurleyfor3
10-02-2009, 12:07 AM
They're not? How does that work? are they not part of the same chain/formative method? (i don't know -- im asking)

The Dacks are dissimilar to the mostly NE/SW ridges that make up the Appalachians, especially through the Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern states. They are more similar to the mountains of eastern Quebec.