wilson
04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
He has not hired an agent:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6733674

Indoor66
04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
He has not hired an agent:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6733674

Who is Thaddeus Young and should I care enough to click on the article?

wilson
04-24-2007, 02:14 PM

One of Georgia Tech's stud freshmen (the other being Javaris Crittenton) who, if they should stay in school, would have Tech among the elite in the conference.

CMS2478
04-24-2007, 02:15 PM
One of Georgia Tech's stud freshmen (the other being Javaris Crittenton) who, if they should stay in school, would have Tech among the elite in the conference.

I'm hoping Indoor was being sarcastic, or else he/she may want to consider getting out Cameron Indoor more often. ;)

Indoor66
04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I was being sarcastic. I just have a thing about criptic or short posts assuming knowledge on the reader and then linking to an article. Put some meat there to give a reason to move on to the link.

wilson
04-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I was being sarcastic. I just have a thing about criptic or short posts assuming knowledge on the reader and then linking to an article. Put some meat there to give a reason to move on to the link.

I assumed that to be unnecessary for several reasons:

1. This is a generally knowledgeable community.
2. Georgia Tech is a conference foe, and Thaddeus Young is among their most visible players.
3. Draft discussions are a prime element of the discourse around here these days, as they are at this time every year.

The "meat" is in the article; I'm not going to transcribe it. Burn the half a calorie and read it, or let my short post speak for itself (which it pretty much does).

dbowen
04-24-2007, 02:33 PM
I got the point of the original post.
If someone's on this board and they know the popluar names of conference foes, then there's something wrong.

Clipsfan
04-24-2007, 05:45 PM

I have to agree with Wilson. If anything, there is no need to click on the link as all it does is substantiate that at least one source on the web is saying the same thing as the poster. In this case, what information in the link would you have preferred be included in the original post? It hit the relevant items, namely that Young had declared (something which has been widely speculated upon in all draft articles) and that he hasn't hired an agent (the only follow-up that I need, signifying that he can return). The only extra bit of information which I would want to possibly know would be his likely draft order, although I know that it was supposed to be in the late lottery as recently as a couple weeks ago.

There are times when just the link is not sufficient, and I use to be a vocal advocate of further information when a certain poster used to just link to a blog rather than provide actual information. That doesn't mean that there always has to be an essay to accompany a post, especially when the information can be provided in a succinct manner.

Patrick Yates
04-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I think Young is gone. He is the type of player that could really wow with some individual workouts. It was obvious during HS that TY was upset that he had to go to school (smart, his stock was hurt by a year in school).

His loss would be devastating to GT.

Worst Case: Crittendon follows, GT drops into the bottom of the league, people begin to wonder if the coach can get it done on a regular basis, future recruits are scared off.

Best Case (assuming he leaves): Crittendon stays, GT is solid next year, with enough talent to be dangerous late in the season, with a possible Sweet 16 run. (but Crittendon will probably leave next year, failing to really achieve any team success at college, really).

Somewhere in the middle: Crittendon stays, GT is a bubble team and sneaks in.

With Young (and Critt obv.) GT is a very dangerous team, neck and neck with Duke for 2 in the ACC. By the end of the year, GT would be really dangerous, and a serious threat to make a run to the FF, where anything can happen.

Without Young, GT is still good, but not a true threat to make a deep run. Young is that X-factor college player, who could be the type of kid that you have to plan around, a la JJ, Hans, Durant, etc. Not saying he is as good, but the talent and athleticism are there, he just needs to put it together this summer.

Even if he leaves, GT may not fall that far given that many other teams in the ACC are taking (major) steps back, eg BC, UVA, VT, and to a lessor degree UMD. Miami and Wake are still weak.

UNC, Duke, NCSU, Clem are the cream of the crop with GT closer to Duke with Young, closer to the middle without him. Without Young, I could easily see GT falling to the 4-6 range in the ACC, and next year, I think the ACC only gets 4 into the NCAAs, based on the paper projections for next year.

Patrick Yates

wilson
04-24-2007, 11:11 PM
You list every team except FSU in your thumbnail ACC prediction. I don't ask this to be snide or with any particular answer in mind, just because I wonder: Where do you see the Seminoles fitting in next season?

gw67
04-25-2007, 08:42 AM
I agree with Patrick that the five best ACC teams on paper for next year are UNC, Georgia Tech, Duke, N.C. State and Clemson. The remaining seven have some big holes to fill and will depend on returning reserves and incoming freshmen to fill them. Florida State returns four starters and two key reserves. Their strength is on the perimeter (Douglas, Rich, Swann and Mims). All four players are good three-point shooters and are accurate from the free throw line. A key for them will be the inside play of Echefu, Reid and the freshmen. Luckily for them, the frontcourts on most ACC teams next year will either be unimposing or inexperienced. Another key will be that they, like the Devils, need to protect the ball better. If they get decent inside play, I expect that their guard play will get them to the middle of the league (5th-6th place). They play three of the better teams, UNC, NCS and Clemson, home and away next year.

gw67

Olympic Fan
04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
I disagree with the assessment that Young's departure is devastating for Georgia Tech. It hurts sure -- he has a great deal of potential, but it can be made up.

Remember, Hewitt will be adding shooting guard Lewis Clinch, who was their leading scorer when he was suspended last season, and Gani Lawal, a McDonald's All-America who is a tough, quick, smart post forward. They'll have Lawal and seniors Jeremis Smith and Rashawn Dickey in the post (along with Zack Peahttp://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.com, who is pretty good); Anthony Morrow (bothered all last year after back surgery) and Clinch on the wing, along with D'Andre Bell and Mohammed Faye; Crittenton at point ...

That's a deep, talented team.

Now, if Crittenton goes ... I would agree that Tech drops to a second division team. There's no other point guard on the roster.

It's a lot like the Brandan Wright/Ty Lawson situation at Carolina. Wright is a better player than Lawson, but the Heels can replace him a lot easier than Lawson. Young is better than Crittenton, but much more replacable.

I think the decision by Singletary to test the draft is much more significant. If he doesn't pull out, Virginia (which also loses Reynolds and Cain) drops way down in the league.

FSU loses its best player (Al Thornton) and returns everybody else. They do add a number of promising big men, which should help their post problems. As it now stands, I'd put them right on the edge of the first division. Roughly, I have it:

1. UNC (clearcut No. 1)
2-5. Duke, Georgia Tech (with Crittenton), Clemson, N.C. State (you can make a good case for any of them 2-through-5)
6-8. Florida State, Maryland (two good guards, two good post players and nothing else), Boston College
9-11. Wake, Virginia Tech and Virginia (with Singletary)
12. Miami -- also Georgia Tech (without Crittenton), Virginia (without singletary)

Patrick Yates
04-25-2007, 10:06 AM
FSU (sorry, simply forgot them) is a middle of the pack team.

They are bunched with UMD in the middle of the ACC, probably a step behind UMD. If TY goes back to school, GT is in the upper tier.

If TY goes pro (he will), GT will fall behind UMD but be ahead of FSU.

Given the new NIT rules and shallowness of the ACC next year, even an NIT bearth will not be a sure thing.

Patrick Yates

Bud
04-26-2007, 08:24 AM
I may have to eat my words I posted the other day that I thought GT would finish second in the ACC but if Young and Crittion go they will not. But I do think that they will finish in 4th they will be a lot better than a lot of you think even with out these two.

JasonEvans
04-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I am sure you all know by now that Crittendon has entered his name in the draft. I think he forecasts as a mid-late first rounder and I bet he really impresses teams in workouts. He's a freaky athelete.

This is a devestating blow for Tech. Losing young was not a surprise, but they really thought Javaris would stick around longer than one season. They go from a team with Final Four aspirations to a team with huge question marks and likely a bubble team, at best. Pity.

-Jason "they will still be very talented, but will lack a guy to run the show" Evans

ACCBBallFan
04-26-2007, 06:16 PM
I may have to eat my words I posted the other day that I thought GT would finish second in the ACC but if Young and Crittion go they will not. But I do think that they will finish in 4th they will be a lot better than a lot of you think even with out these two.

I agree with you Bud. As long as GA Tech can get half decent PG play from someone else, they have enough athletes and an unbelievably easy ACC Unbalanced schedule like UVA had this past year to be top 4 in ACC even with loss of Crittenden and/or Thaddeus Young.

Here's a post I had not too long ago on the subject (before these 2 made first level commitment to NBA):

Using your weights at face value, crediting games against UNC as toughest = 12, Duke =11 ... Miami =2 and WF =1,

GA Tech by far has the easiest ACC unbalanced Schedule next year (20) based on who they play twice, without considering who they place one at home versus who they play once on the road. GA T plays Clemson, UVA and the bottom 3 of VA Tech, Miami and WF.

Next easiest is MD (25) with Duke, UVA, BC, VA T and WF.

Va Tech is third easiest (28) with GA T, MD, UVA, BC and WF.

BC (30) UNC, MD, UVA, VA T and Miami

FSU (32) UNC, NCS, CL, Miami and WF

WF (34) GA T, NCS, MD, FSU and VA T.

UVA (35) Duke, GA T, MD, BC and VA T

Duke (36) UNC, NCS, MD, UVA and Miami

UNC (37) Duke, NCS, CL, FSU and BC

NCS (37) UNC, Duke, CL, FSU and WF.

Miami (37) Duke, GA T, CL, FSU and BC

Clemson again has the toughest ACC unbalanced schedule UNC< GA T, NCS, FSU and Miami.

So this may give GA T the edge over Duke for second place, and possibly even UNC for first and also may push Miami into the cellar and cause Clemson to be on wrong side of the bubble again