PDA

View Full Version : the UNC preview article

eightyearoldsdude
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
has it been discussed?

I thought it was pretty accurate, though I'd quibble about Ed's defense. I understand that good defense is not always quantifiable, especially post defense. It's a lot about establishing position, denying the entry pass, and forcing the ball back out if it does get in. None of those things will show up in a stat line (which is why Hansbrough was an underrated defender). Ed has pretty lousy lateral quickness, but I saw him do a good job establishing defensive position, and given his fantastic rebounding and shot blocking, I think we'll do just fine in terms of post defense.

Between Henson, Davis, Zeller, and Deon, we should easily lead the league in blocks. Of course, the best shotblocking teams only get a handful per game--but the real effect is in the shots that aren't blocked because they weren't attempted...

flyingdutchdevil
09-30-2009, 01:08 PM
has it been discussed?

I thought it was pretty accurate, though I'd quibble about Ed's defense. I understand that good defense is not always quantifiable, especially post defense. It's a lot about establishing position, denying the entry pass, and forcing the ball back out if it does get in. None of those things will show up in a stat line (which is why Hansbrough was an underrated defender). Ed has pretty lousy lateral quickness, but I saw him do a good job establishing defensive position, and given his fantastic rebounding and shot blocking, I think we'll do just fine in terms of post defense.

Between Henson, Davis, Zeller, and Deon, we should easily lead the league in blocks. Of course, the best shotblocking teams only get a handful per game--but the real effect is in the shots that aren't blocked because they weren't attempted...

Why doesn't anyone, and I mean ANYONE, mention the Wear twins when taking about UNC's front court? Are they that much of a work in progress?

MChambers
09-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Why doesn't anyone, and I mean ANYONE, mention the Wear twins when taking about UNC's front court? Are they that much of a work in progress?
They would play the 4 or 5, at which UNC has Thompson, Davis, and Zeller. Plus most folks are skeptical about playing Henson at the 3. So the Wear twins are at best the fifth and sixth choice at the bigs. It's not a knock on them.

airowe
09-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Olek Czyz will play more than the Wear Twins.

eightyearoldsdude
09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
They would play the 4 or 5, at which UNC has Thompson, Davis, and Zeller. Plus most folks are skeptical about playing Henson at the 3. So the Wear twins are at best the fifth and sixth choice at the bigs. It's not a knock on them.

Good point. Even if Henson plays the 3 a lot, he won't play it exclusively, which means that the Wears are behind Thompson, Davis, Zeller, and Henson. So barring injury, they probably won't get a ton of minutes this year. But next year, Thompson is gone for sure, and possibly Davis and Henson as well, and Roy does not have a post player currently lined up for the class of 2010. So the Wears will get plenty of PT next season. And frankly, I think they are ridiculously underestimated, especially on places like TDD. I don't expect them to become little Hansbrough Urban Achievers, but they look quite skilled for big men, and they seem to have enough bulk to play at the 5 position. I'd like to see stronger rebounding and more back-to-the-basket moves, but I think they've got great potential.

whereinthehellami
09-30-2009, 03:09 PM

I don't know about that. The better of the Wear twins is actually pretty savy and I think will see more time than Olek. Especially considering how deep Roy likes to go.

I think UNC is looking good on paper but they lost alot. I don't know that they can get enough cohesion and chemistry to make a legitimate run at the ACC title and go too deep in the NCAAs.

InSpades
09-30-2009, 03:32 PM
What are the realistic expectations for UNC next year? I see people saying they are pre-season #2 (or at the very least top 4) and I don't see it as realistic at all. They just lost too much. Last year they lost 3 games in the ACC regular season... how can you not see that number going up to atleast 5? I realize this year's Wake is not last year's Wake but still... they lost 4 starters! I still expect them to be #2 in the ACC next year but it wouldn't shock me if someone snuck in there and dropped them to 3rd. I expect them to go 11-5 in the ACC. Probably get a #3 seed in the tournament and get knocked out sometime in the 2nd week of the big dance.

eightyearoldsdude
09-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't know about that. The better of the Wear twins is actually pretty savy and I think will see more time than Olek. Especially considering how deep Roy likes to go.

I think UNC is looking good on paper but they lost alot. I don't know that they can get enough cohesion and chemistry to make a legitimate run at the ACC title and go too deep in the NCAAs.

Yeah, I think Olek is Duke's Orlando Melendez. The Wears may not get more time than him this year, but they have a more promising future, IMO.

Anyway, I think UNC will be a lot better in February than we'll be in January, but we really only have one unknown: PG play. I think the best we can hope for from Drew is that he runs the fast break adequately, feeds the post effectively, plays good defense, and is enough of a 3 point threat that teams can't leave him wide open. I think we have a negligible chance of repeating and that we're ranked too high in most polls (SN has us at 4, which is a little ridiculous). but if Drew does all of the above, then I could see us winning the ACC and making the sweet sixteen or elite eight.

The other emphasis in the article, 3 point shooting, is less of an unknown than simply a weakness. I think we're going to be pretty bad in that department until Bulluck (and hopefully Barnes) suits up. I am under the impression that Graves is way out of shape again and that won't help him get out of Roy's doghouse, and he was the one guy who looked like he had solid potential as a shooter. So I really have very low expectations as to our three point shooting this year. I can only hope that Ginyard, Drew, and Strickland can shoot it well enough that teams would prefer not to leave them wide open behind the arc. But the days of back-breaking threes from Danny, Wayne, or Ty are behind us.

I would not be surprised if any one of UNC, Duke, Wake, or Clemson won the regular season this year.

superdave
09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
UNC will be giving a lot PG minutes to a guy named Larry Drew. I dont think that makes anyone supremely confident. Backup minutes will somehow or another be split among Ginyard (a 3) and Strickland (a 2).

I guess this worked 5 years ago with Bobby Frasor playing PG, but that team lost to George Mason pretty early in the NCAAs and really really over-achieved. A repeat is less likely.

My guess is 27-8, Top 3 in ACC.

I'm not sure of a single guy on that roster who can create his own shot consistently or create easy buckets for teammates. They will be grinding out a lot of games if teams slow them down from running.

Super "Dawkins Urban Achiever" Dave

eightyearoldsdude
09-30-2009, 04:44 PM
UNC will be giving a lot PG minutes to a guy named Larry Drew. I dont think that makes anyone supremely confident. Backup minutes will somehow or another be split among Ginyard (a 3) and Strickland (a 2).

I guess this worked 5 years ago with Bobby Frasor playing PG, but that team lost to George Mason pretty early in the NCAAs and really really over-achieved. A repeat is less likely.

My guess is 27-8, Top 3 in ACC.

I'm not sure of a single guy on that roster who can create his own shot consistently or create easy buckets for teammates. They will be grinding out a lot of games if teams slow them down from running.

Super "Dawkins Urban Achiever" Dave

I think Strick and Henson can get their shots off against the majority of defenders they'll face. I also think Drew is a good passer, and he should be able to drive and dish fairly effectively. My worry with him is his own shooting and finishing.

To be fair, and Hansbrough notwithstanding, we have a lot more experienced talent this year than we did during 2006. I think Drew will prove to be better than Frasor, and we return two former starters in Ginyard and Thompson. We'll have an overabundance of talent in the post.

That said, I think 27-8, top-3, sweet-16/elite eight is about right. I think we have a better chance at finishing 1st in the ACC than we do of finishing 3rd, but any place in the top 3 is credible.

superdave
09-30-2009, 04:51 PM
If UNC gets to the Elite 8, the Henson/Davis combo will be putting up big numbers.

I think Davis will be a better defensive player than offensive player based on his rebounding and shot blocking from last year.

Can Henson create his own shot? Off the dribble and facing up or back to the basket? Both?

Duke of Nashville
09-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Potentially Playing:

Syracuse
Texas
Ohio State
Kentucky
Michigan State

UNC is going to have quite the test.

Could this scheduling lead to potential disaster? Or clam that it will only prepare them for the NCAAT?

Not only am I looking forward to Duke Basketball. I am also looking forward to watching how this UNC team will develop without having a proven scoring threat.

eightyearoldsdude
09-30-2009, 05:00 PM
If UNC gets to the Elite 8, the Henson/Davis combo will be putting up big numbers.

I think Davis will be a better defensive player than offensive player based on his rebounding and shot blocking from last year.

Can Henson create his own shot? Off the dribble and facing up or back to the basket? Both?

Depends on who is guarding him. His handle is great...for a 6'10" guy. He has a driving spin move (that looks a lot like one of Singler's trademarks) which is very effective for taller players, since it protects the ball and gets them into the middle of the lane. He can also shoot over smaller players. I'm not sure we want him taking 3's, but I like his midrange jumper. I also think he'll be pretty good moving without the ball, and I anticipate some nice alley-oops and short floaters coming off of lobs from Drew. I'm less sure of his back to the basket game, but from the glimpses I've seen, he's got good footwork and a couple nice baseline spin options.

I think Ed's left handed jump hook is going to be pretty unguardable.

Deon should be more productive this year. I just wish he'd show a little anger out there. He's got the body to bang and then dunk on some fools, but he seems to lack the temperament (what i would do with a 6'9" frame...). But his turnaround jumper is very hard to guard.

eightyearoldsdude
09-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Potentially Playing:

Syracuse
Texas
Ohio State
Kentucky
Michigan State

UNC is going to have quite the test.

Could this scheduling lead to potential disaster? Or clam that it will only prepare them for the NCAAT?

Not only am I looking forward to Duke Basketball. I am also looking forward to watching how this UNC team will develop without having a proven scoring threat.

I know opinions between fanbases differ but I like this kind of scheduling, even if it means 5 losses (though I think we go at least 2-3 against those teams). I'd rather our players lose while getting a taste of what the tournament will be like rather than get fat on a bunch of cupcakes. I've always been impressed with Izzo in this regard.

Duke of Nashville
09-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I know opinions between fanbases differ but I like this kind of scheduling, even if it means 5 losses (though I think we go at least 2-3 against those teams). I'd rather our players lose while getting a taste of what the tournament will be like rather than get fat on a bunch of cupcakes. I've always been impressed with Izzo in this regard.

Who could not have the upmost respect for Tom Izzo and his system? I hate UNC with all my life, but for some reason I enjoy watching and analyzing them(especialy when the loose) ; ) Know thy enemy maybe?

I still am praying for a heavy metor shower when KU comes into Chapel Hill though. J/K....not really

Question:
Ol' Roy down by 1 with 5 seconds left. Who do you draw up a play for?

shoutingncu
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
...when KU comes into Chapel Hill though. J/K....not really

KU will not be playing in Chapel Hill as long as Ol' Roy is coach. Supported by sticker? Yes. But playing, no.

Duke of Nashville
09-30-2009, 05:32 PM
KU will not be playing in Chapel Hill as long as Ol' Roy is coach. Supported by sticker? Yes. But playing, no.

haha.

Ya I messed up...Correction: UK and they are playin in Rupp not the Dean Dome.

My apologies.

shoutingncu
09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
haha.

Ya I messed up...Correction: UK and they are playin in Rupp not the Dean Dome.

My apologies.

Yeah, I knew what you meant ;), and started to put in that this season would be in Rupp, but felt it would take away from my Stickergate reference.

I'm just glad the UK game is in December and hope we have the chance to play them again later.

Incidentally, five seconds left, I assume the play would be drawn up for an entry pass to Thompson with Davis and Henson crashing the board, but come conference play, my hope is that Henson or Strickland might be good enough for that shot.

eightyearoldsdude
09-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I knew what you meant ;), and started to put in that this season would be in Rupp, but felt it would take away from my Stickergate reference.

I'm just glad the UK game is in December and hope we have the chance to play them again later.

Incidentally, five seconds left, I assume the play would be drawn up for an entry pass to Thompson with Davis and Henson crashing the board, but come conference play, my hope is that Henson or Strickland might be good enough for that shot.

Down 1 with 5 seconds left? I'm no coach, but I'd want to involve my most versatile scorers, who, unfortunately, are both freshmen. So I'd probably inbound the ball to Strickland and have Deon screen for Ed and Drew screen Henson on the wing, allowing both to cut toward the basket for a possible alley-oop from Strick, if Strick can't get past his defender. But that could just as easily turn into a big clusterfudge.

If we're down 3, you gotta set up either Ginyard or Graves, but I'd probably turn off the TV at that point.

superdave
09-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Will Graves does not appear to be very good. I cannot imagine him playing crunch time minutes.

I would think you have to go inside on a last second shot if you are UNC - higher % shot, good chance of shooting foul shots, very green backcourt.

eightyearoldsdude
09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Will Graves does not appear to be very good. I cannot imagine him playing crunch time minutes.

I would think you have to go inside on a last second shot if you are UNC - higher % shot, good chance of shooting foul shots, very green backcourt.

I thought last summer (of '08) was a possible turning point for Graves. He had lost a lot of weight and had gotten some nice stretches of PT. If he had continued on that trajectory, it wouldn't be far-fetched to think he'd be in the game at crunch time this year. But we all know what happened--though even now, he's our best shooter so Roy might bring him in if we need a desperation 3 (although Roy doesn't seem to make too many situational substitutions). But like I said, I'd probably turn it off.

jws
09-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Offensively, I think Larry Drew II is going to be an excellent PG by the end of the year. I expect him to be a much better defender as well, but he's got a longer way to go there.

I can definitely see Will Graves getting crunch time minutes, and doing very well with them.

JasonEvans
09-30-2009, 09:44 PM
I can definitely see Will Graves getting crunch time minutes.

As a Duke fan, I would be delighted at that prospect for Carolina. But, as a student of college basketball, I think the odds that Will Graves turns into a moneytime player for Carolina this season are fairly small given his talent and the talent of the other players on the roster.

Also worth noting that Graves got suspended last year. There is no guarantee he is back in Roy's good graces after what happened.

--Jason "don't ask me what got Graves suspended... I've head rumors from Carolina insiders I know that I will not repeat here" Evans

Bob Green
09-30-2009, 10:00 PM

In the summer of 2008, when they both played for Coach Bob McKillop on the USA U18 national team, Travis Wear averaged more minutes (17.2) and more points (8.8) than Mason Plumlee (12.2/5.0):

http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2008/08_mu18_stats.pdf

jv001
09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
In the summer of 2008, when they both played for Coach Bob McKillop on the USA U18 national team, Travis Wear averaged more minutes (17.2) and more points (8.8) than Mason Plumlee (12.2/5.0):

Doesn't say much about McKillop does it? I've always thought he was a unc wantabee. Go Duke!

roywhite
09-30-2009, 10:54 PM

And Ryan Kelly started ahead of both Travis Wear and Mason Plumlee. Those stats from over a year ago are interesting, but don't mean much.

Bob Green
09-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Those stats from over a year ago are interesting, but don't mean much.

I am simply stating it is premature to totally dismiss Travis Wear. He has both talent and potential. Just like in Durham, practice hasn't started in Chapel Hill so starting line-ups and player rotations have yet to be determined. Moreover, Coach Williams historically utilizes a very deep rotation so T.W. will most likely see some meaningful minutes. Then again, perhaps he and his brother redshirt - it is October 1 - who knows?

meloveduke
09-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I like how in half the time mason got more rebounds only 3 less points(avg) more assists and only one less block. Give me mason any day, and that was a year ago. I can't wait till the season starts.
I don't see Roy playing the twins much barring injuries.

Bob Green
09-30-2009, 11:15 PM
And Ryan Kelly started ahead of both Travis Wear and Mason Plumlee.

You are correct. However, coming off the bench, Travis Wear averaged more points (8.8) than Kelly (8.6), while commiting only four turnovers to Kelly's 12. Kelly outrebounded Wear. Again, I believe it is premature to discount Travis Wear as a viable option in Carolina's typically deep rotation.

Bob Green
09-30-2009, 11:26 PM
I like how in half the time...

Mason Plumlee did not play half the time of Travis Wear. Simple math determines that 12.2 is 70.93 percent of 17.2. And 70.93 percent of 8.8 is 6.24. So adjusted for playing time, Wear still averaged more points than Plumlee.

However, I digress as this isn't a discussion of the Wear twins versus Duke's freshmen. It is a discussion of the DBR Carolina preview and potential rotation. I believe Travis Wear will earn some playing time. Others disagree...but that's okay.

RelativeWays
09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
I think Drew 2's shortcomings are overblown. Coming after Lawson, sure he doesn't seem that spectacular, but he was also a freshman that played limited minutes. I bet he'll fair better this year, won't be an elite PG, but I think he'll be better than QT.

meloveduke
09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
You are right about the time, I was looking at kellys time. I will give 1.8 points up for the 15 more rebounds that mason would have if you adjusted the time. I am not trying to be off topick but I see someone else was saying that in 2008 Travis did better in the u19, I just think of you are going to compare them then compare them not just the time and points. I don't know how much Travis as improved over the last year but I doubt that they are going to see much meaning full time, but this is my opinion. I think unc looks good down low, I think the point is what will hold them back.

jesus_hurley
09-30-2009, 11:57 PM
I think Drew 2's shortcomings are overblown. Coming after Lawson, sure he doesn't seem that spectacular, but he was also a freshman that played limited minutes. I bet he'll fair better this year, won't be an elite PG, but I think he'll be better than QT.

Watts or Wears - who gets more minutes? I also read somewhere (looking for the link) that Graves is a little heavier then the staff wants him to be at this point. He's the most accomplished 3 point threat, though I'm sure one of the freshman will be just as good. Thompson has had several good games against us - but with our size this year we may have some better matchups.

I'd love it if LD2 had a year like QT's freshman season :)

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/north-carolina/quentin-thomas?per_game=1&tslug=north-carolina&tempo_neutral=1&game_type=1&totals=1&pslug=quentin-thomas&chart1=assists_avg&chart2=turnovers_avg&chart3=assist_turnover_ratio

JasonEvans
10-01-2009, 08:54 AM
(Graves) is the most accomplished 3 point threat, though I'm sure one of the freshman will be just as good.

I love the fact that Carolina's best returning outside shooter shot a scalding 27.8% from 3-point range last season. Fire away, Will Graves!!

While I am no expert on the Carolina recruits, I don't believe that any of the freshmen are particularly known for their long-range shooting. Strickland is more of a slasher if memory serves.

--Jason "teams are really gonna pack it in on UNC this year, I think " Evans

MChambers
10-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Davis may average double figures in offensive rebounds along.;)

JDev
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
UNC's main concern will be whether there are any small cracks in the floor that Henson could potentially fall into.

Kidding of course. Their main concerns are point guard play and shooting. I think Drew will be adequate at point, and that is the highest adjective I am prepared to bestow upon him. Even if he starts the entire year, it will likely be his last year starting as a Tar Heel. As Jason said, I think a lot of teams will pack it in make them shoot the ball. This is a team that is not going to shoot well, regardless of whether or not Graves can walk the line. Defensively the team should be solid, but they won't score as many points as the teams of the last several years. I don't see the fast break being anywhere near as efficient, and Drew will not create anywhere near as many easy baskets as Lawson and his other predecessors.

They will be top three in the league no question.

sandinmyshoes
10-01-2009, 12:58 PM

While I still think as goes Drew so goes UNC this season, you make a good point. He doesn't have to be Lawson good, but if he's not, the rest of the team has to make up the difference. That's a tall order given the players beside Lawson they lost.

However, while they lose speed at the point, Drew is still at least average or better in terms of speed with the ball. They could be quicker at times at other positions than last year. Zeller brings an intriguing aspect with his shooting range.

So Williams has some pieces to experiment with, but I still think if Drew doesn't get to say 80-85% the player Lawson was, the key piece will cost them.

eightyearoldsdude
10-01-2009, 02:33 PM
While I still think as goes Drew so goes UNC this season, you make a good point. He doesn't have to be Lawson good, but if he's not, the rest of the team has to make up the difference. That's a tall order given the players beside Lawson they lost.

However, while they lose speed at the point, Drew is still at least average or better in terms of speed with the ball. They could be quicker at times at other positions than last year. Zeller brings an intriguing aspect with his shooting range.

So Williams has some pieces to experiment with, but I still think if Drew doesn't get to say 80-85% the player Lawson was, the key piece will cost them.

I agree with this. Anyone who thinks UNC is likely to make it to the final four, much less repeat, is stoned out of their gourd. I think Drew will turn out to be better than either Frasor or QT, but never as good as Lawson. Between Marshall, Drew, and (darkhorse in the PG race) Strick, I think we'll be fine in the PG department (after this season). None of them are as good as Lawson, but neither was Ed Cota and he took us to a couple final fours.

sandinmyshoes
10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I agree with this. Anyone who thinks UNC is likely to make it to the final four, much less repeat, is stoned out of their gourd. I think Drew will turn out to be better than either Frasor or QT, but never as good as Lawson. Between Marshall, Drew, and (darkhorse in the PG race) Strick, I think we'll be fine in the PG department (after this season). None of them are as good as Lawson, but neither was Ed Cota and he took us to a couple final fours.

I'm always careful to try and avoid pre-judging the developmental arc a college basketball player. Drew is as quick as some current NBA points, most likely. Who knows where his ceiling is? We've all seen "can't miss" prospects in fact miss, and quite widely as a matter of fact. Other kids come in with little reputation and blossom over their time in college.

But, out of all the players you mentioned, the one that worries me the most as a Duke fan is Marshall. There's just something about that kid. He's an okay athlete, but every now and then there is a player like Kidd, Bird, Magic who is better than his body, so to speak.

Now, I'm not saying Marshall is as good or will every be as good as any of them, but I think he is going to be much, much better than many of my fellow Duke fans think. The kid just seems to have it whatever it is.

JasonEvans
10-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I None of them are as good as Lawson, but neither was Ed Cota and he took us to a couple final fours.

Antawn Jamison is not walking through that door.

-Jason

eightyearoldsdude
10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm always careful to try and avoid pre-judging the developmental arc a college basketball player. Drew is as quick as some current NBA points, most likely. Who knows where his ceiling is? We've all seen "can't miss" prospects in fact miss, and quite widely as a matter of fact. Other kids come in with little reputation and blossom over their time in college.

But, out of all the players you mentioned, the one that worries me the most as a Duke fan is Marshall. There's just something about that kid. He's an okay athlete, but every now and then there is a player like Kidd, Bird, Magic who is better than his body, so to speak.

Now, I'm not saying Marshall is as good or will every be as good as any of them, but I think he is going to be much, much better than many of my fellow Duke fans think. The kid just seems to have it whatever it is.

I agree with you. For his age, Marshall has the best court vision and passing ability that I've seen in a long, long time. I actually like that he's not super athletic, since it makes it more likely that he'll be around for a few years.

I know none of you do this, but sometimes UNC fans forget that Lawson's place in Carolina lore hinged on a drinking citation and a deep draft. I could be wrong, but I think we might not need as much luck to keep Marshall around for his junior year.

whereinthehellami
10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Isnt' Marshall the kid that Thornton shuts down ona regular basis? Or am I thinking of another UNC recruit that Thornton has shut down.

eightyearoldsdude
10-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Isnt' Marshall the kid that Thornton shuts down ona regular basis? Or am I thinking of another UNC recruit that Thornton has shut down.

This quote will be fun to look at in two years.

Duvall
10-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree with you. For his age, Marshall has the best court vision and passing ability that I've seen in a long, long time. I actually like that he's not super athletic, since it makes it more likely that he'll be around for a few years.

You make him sound almost as intimidating as Brian Bersticker.

Bob Green
10-01-2009, 05:01 PM

This quote will be fun to look at in two years.

In head-to-head matchups, during games between their high schools, Tyler Thornton has shut Kendall Marshall down.

eightyearoldsdude
10-01-2009, 05:32 PM
In head-to-head matchups, during games between their high schools, Tyler Thornton has shut Kendall Marshall down.

Does anyone have the box scores for those games? I mean, "shutting down" a pass-first point guard is not necessarily a crowning achievement. He was MVP of the NBA camp (over Barnes and others) while averaging only modest scoring, so his point totals are not really the first thing I would look at.

But what is the implication here anyway? That Marshall is going to be another Bersticker?

Duvall
10-01-2009, 05:34 PM
But what is the implication here anyway? That Marshall is going to be another Bersticker?

That this is an awful lot of hype for a player that has yet to attend his first college practice.

sandinmyshoes
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
All I'm saying is that I've seen Marshall, and I like his game. A lot. Maybe because it has some of that old school style.

Thornton has fared well against him. Hopefully he will continue to fare well against him at the college level. But UNC doesn't play just against us.

I also remember, with delight, when Dan Dakich contained Michael Jordan. It did not mean that Jordan was not an extraordinary player.

But, that's enough praise for a UNC recruit. I could be wrong about him. We'll see.

NSDukeFan
10-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Does anyone have the box scores for those games? I mean, "shutting down" a pass-first point guard is not necessarily a crowning achievement. He was MVP of the NBA camp (over Barnes and others) while averaging only modest scoring, so his point totals are not really the first thing I would look at.

I'm hoping that it means Marshall will be a very good player for UNC except when he plays Duke.:)