PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Moment in Duke Basketball

airowe
09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Stop me if you've heard this one before. I haven't been around the board that long, but things are starting to get dull around here. We're talking about Tim Tebow for Christ sake.

I want to know what your favorite Duke Basketball Memory is and I'll put three videos up for your viewing pleasure. One of these is mine. Can you guess which one?

The Shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-iq58_oz4).

Sean Dockery Half-Court Shot against VaTech. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16za9PkU9Wk&feature=related)

Jason Williams Miracle Minute. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84)

sagegrouse
09-30-2009, 12:26 PM
For me it is the end of the Duke-UNLV game in the 1991 NCAA semis. A Hurley 3 to reduce the margin from five to three - a missed shot by LV - Brian Davis drives for a layup to tie the score - a 35 second clock violation by LV (its only one of the year) - Laettner is fouled and (natch) makes both FTs for a two shot lead - LV throws up a prayer at the buzzer, and it is answered - for Duke.

sagegrouse
'Check my sequence - the memory sometimes fails'

airowe
09-30-2009, 12:31 PM
For me it is the end of the Duke-UNLV game in the 1991 NCAA semis. A Hurley 3 to reduce the margin from five to three - a missed shot by LV - Brian Davis drives for a layup to tie the score - a 35 second clock violation by LV (its only one of the year) - Laettner is fouled and (natch) makes both FTs for a two shot lead - LV throws up a prayer at the buzzer, and it is answered - for Duke.

sagegrouse

Here's the end (http://www.bebo.com/c/video?FlashBoxId=8735083698). That was amazing too.

sagegrouse
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Here's the end (http://www.bebo.com/c/video?FlashBoxId=8735083698). That was amazing too.

And you should get another look at that pork chop on top of Grant's head.:):)

sagegrouse

Tom B.
09-30-2009, 01:35 PM

sagegrouse

You're not too far off, but there are a few corrections....

Hurley's three-pointer cut the lead from five to two (not three). 76-74, UNLV.

The next possession was UNLV's shot-clock violation -- only it wasn't a 35 second violation. The shot clock back then was 45 seconds, but UNLV's violation was actually a 47-second violation. Under the rules at the time, if the defensive team knocked the ball out of bounds with less than five seconds left on the shot clock, it was reset to five seconds. On that possession, Laettner knocked the ball out of bounds with three seconds left on the shot clock, so it was reset to five seconds, giving UNLV an extra two seconds. And they still couldn't get a shot off. Grant Hill actually almost stole the inbounds pass -- he got a finger on it and tipped it, but a UNLV player (Augmon, I think) ran it down. He was near midcourt when he picked it up, though, and none of the UNLV players came to help him out. He froze for a second, then took a couple of dribbles and heaved up a prayer that missed badly -- which didn't matter, because the shot clock already had expired. Still 76-74, UNLV.

On Duke's next possession, Brian Davis sliced into the lane for a layup and a foul. He hit the free throw to convert the three-point play and put Duke ahead by one. 77-76, Duke.

On UNLV's next possession, Larry Johnson was fouled. He missed both free throws, but there was a lane violation on the second one (Johnson had a quirky hitch in his free-throw shooting motion that often caused lane violations), so he got a do-over. He hit the second one to tie the score. 77-all.

On Duke's next possession, Thomas Hill put up a shot that missed, but Laettner grabbed the rebound and was fouled. It was actually a close call as to whether he was in the act of shooting when he was fouled -- his putback went in, so he would've had a chance for a three-point play if the referee had called it a shooting foul. But the referee said he was fouled on the floor, so the shot didn't count. Laettner went to the line for one-and-one (no double-bonus back then), and hit both. 79-77, Duke. 12.7 seconds remaining.

UNLV's next possession was the final possession of the game. Duke double-teamed Anderson Hunt and denied him the ball, forcing Larry Johnson to take the inbounds pass and bring the ball up the court. He dribbled into the frontcourt and to the right wing, just outside the three-point line. He looked for a moment like he might shoot, but Laettner jumped out on him to contest the shot attempt, so Johnson pulled the ball back and looked to pass. He kicked it out to Anderson Hunt (watch the linked clip and watch Hunt push off of Hurley twice to get free. By the time Hunt got the ball, though, he only had time to take one dribble and put up an off-balance shot from about 23 feet, which hit hard off the backboard and the rim. (Also notice on the clip that Augmon got free and was all alone under the basket -- if Hunt had shot an airball, it would have been a replay of Whittenburg-to-Charles and the game would've gone to OT.) Hurley corraled the long rebound as time expired. Game over, 79-77 Duke.

Man, I love that game.

JDev
09-30-2009, 01:44 PM
All great moments I remember fondly. Duke's more recent championship season/game was also full of great moments. Jason Williams three curling off a high pick to put Duke ahead for good in the 2001 Championship game was great, as were Battier's two offensive rebound put-backs down the stretch (one of which was done back-handed). Dunleavy's conscutive three-point explosion in that same game was nice (something like 3 3's in a 1:30 span in the second half).

hurleyfor3
09-30-2009, 01:49 PM
On Duke's next possession, Thomas Hill put up a shot that missed, but Laettner grabbed the rebound and was fouled. It was actually a close call as to whether he was in the act of shooting when he was fouled -- his putback went in, so he would've had a chance for a three-point play if the referee had called it a shooting foul. But the referee said he was fouled on the floor, so the shot didn't count. Laettner went to the line for one-and-one (no double-bonus back then), and hit both. 79-77, Duke. 12.7 seconds remaining.

The two-shot rule on 10 team fouls in fact went into effect that season. (The rule allowed us to ice the game at UNC with a few seconds remaining.) And I'm nearly certain Laettner was awarded two, rather than 1-and-1. Jim Nantz said something like, "Laettner has two... let's watch." Followed by neither he nor Packer saying a word while he made them.

I want to say the time remaining was 12.3 rather than 12.7. 1-2-3 sticks in my head.

The lane violation was on Thomas Hill.

Otherwise, you got it right :)

jv001
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Since we're talking about one shot, it has to be Christian's "shot" against Kentucky. "The shot" was the best in college basketball history. This was truly a game for the ages. On the play, Grant had to make a great pass and Christian had to hit a great shot. Both happened and the rest is history. Go Duke!

balkan boy
09-30-2009, 02:12 PM
without a doubt.

First title, my senior year, revenge after the 30 pt defeat the year before.

What more needs to be said.

southgater
09-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Writing only from memory so please correct the details... My favorite play was earlier in the 91 seminfinal against UNLV (in fact I think it was almost the beginning of the game.) Hurley (I think) fed a long alleyoop pass to Grant Hill. It looked like it would surely go way over Grant's and everyone's hands and sail out of bounds for an early turnover. Recall that this game followed one against UNLV from the year earlier when we were badly beaten and I think many of us were worried for a similar outcome against "mighty UNLV" when it looked like Hurley's pass would become a turnover. However, Grant sailed high, caught the pass and threw it down, showing that this wasn't going to be just a replay of 1990 and this was a new and different and confident team. I think that play definitely set the tone for the rest of the game.

superdave
09-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Without Hurley's 3 against UNLV in 1991, would Laettner's shot have been nearly as big? UNLV was the Giant no one thought could be slain.

I remember reading or hearing at some point that in the Duke huddle before Laettner went back out to shoot his 2 FT's, Coach K said "After Christian hits these two fee throws, here's your defensive assignments." Or something to that effect.

Also, I love what Coach K said last year about Kyle- He will not choke in the clutch. He may not hit the shot but he will never choke. - Here's hoping he gets that chance!

lifelongdevil
09-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Writing only from memory so please correct the details... My favorite play was earlier in the 91 seminfinal against UNLV (in fact I think it was almost the beginning of the game.) Hurley (I think) fed a long alleyoop pass to Grant Hill. It looked like it would surely go way over Grant's and everyone's hands and sail out of bounds for an early turnover. Recall that this game followed one against UNLV from the year earlier when we were badly beaten and I think many of us were worried for a similar outcome against "mighty UNLV" when it looked like Hurley's pass would become a turnover. However, Grant sailed high, caught the pass and threw it down, showing that this wasn't going to be just a replay of 1990 and this was a new and different and confident team. I think that play definitely set the tone for the rest of the game.

I believe that was against Kansas in the final, with Nantz exclaiming "Can you believe he got that high?!"

Tom B.
09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
The two-shot rule on 10 team fouls in fact went into effect that season. (The rule allowed us to ice the game at UNC with a few seconds remaining.) And I'm nearly certain Laettner was awarded two, rather than 1-and-1. Jim Nantz said something like, "Laettner has two... let's watch." Followed by neither he nor Packer saying a word while he made them.

I want to say the time remaining was 12.3 rather than 12.7. 1-2-3 sticks in my head.

The lane violation was on Thomas Hill.

Otherwise, you got it right :)

Hmm.... I thought the double-bonus didn't go into effect until the next season (1991-92), but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure about the 12.7 seconds, though. :)

Another key moment I forgot -- Brian Davis drawing a charge on Greg Anthony for his fifth foul. It was such a big moment that it's often lumped in with the rest of Duke's comeback from five points down in the last couple of minutes, but it actually occurred two possessions before UNLV went up by five. UNLV was leading by three, 74-71, when Davis drew the chrage on Anthony, but Duke failed to score on the ensuing sequence. Then UNLV went up by five on its next possession when George Ackles put back his own miss (after Brian Davis unsuccessfully tried to draw a charge against him).

So many other memorable moments in that game, many of them critical to the outcome....

Duke winning the opening tip and Grant Hill taking the ball straight to the basket for a quick 2-0 lead.

Hurley's over-the-head no-look pass to Grant Hill for a dunk on a fast break a few possessions later.

Duke making an early statement by jumping out to a 15-6 lead.

Laettner's first-half dominance -- he scored 20 in the first half and finished with 28 for the game, outscoring UNLV's entire starting frontcourt by two.

The first possession of the second half. Duke trailed by two at halftime, 43-41. Several other teams had managed to stay with UNLV for a half that year, only to get blown out in the second half. On the first possession of the second half, Hurley ran a perfect pick-and-roll with Laettner to tie the score and set the early tone. That's when you knew it was going to be a nail-biter. (I can remember Billy Packer saying something like, "Jerry Tarkanian jumped up and looked like he was going to throw his towel into the stands -- he could not believe that a team could score so easily against what he believes to be a vaunted defense.")

UNLV's Evric Gray accomplishing a rare goaltending exacta with an offensive goaltending that negated a certain UNLV basket (the ball was completely in the cylinder and in the process of falling through the rim), and a defensive goaltending that gave Duke two points on a shot that looked like it would have missed. Take away those two plays and the final score is 79-77 the other way.

Hurley delivering a hard foul to Anderson Hunt on a fast break, as if to say, "Not this year."

The technical foul on Larry Johnson. As the game wore on and stayed close, you could see the cracks starting to develop in UNLV's composure.

Hurley's three-pointer that cut UNLV's lead from five to two, just as Billy Packer was saying, "Duke doesn't need a three here...."

After Laettner made the first of his final two free throws, CBS did a quick cut to Coach K, who was standing and shouting instructions to the team. My favorite part of that shot is the cop standing behind Duke's bench, who is clearly watching the game and applauding Laettner's made free throw. You know it's special when even the security personnel stop to watch and cheer.

Stray Gator
09-30-2009, 03:36 PM
1. The time remaining in the UNLV semifinal game was, indeed, 12.7 seconds when Laettner went to the line for the free throws after his made putback shot was waved off--and after a time out that, to those of us sitting in the Duke section, seemed to last an eternity.

2. The Grant Hill skywalking slam occurred early in the championship game against Kansas. (From our seats, which were near floor level in the corner opposite the Duke bench, it appeared certain that Hurley's pass from midcourt would sail far over the top of the backboard at the other end of the court; I was just about to gripe to my then 12-year-old son that Hurley needed to calm down and not squander those opportunities when Grant's hand rose unexpectedly into the path of the ball, intercepted it in mid-flight, and abruptly slammed it down through the basket. My most vivid memory of that sequence was the reaction of the crowd--instead of the usual roar you might have expected, there was a persistent buzz of animated conversation throughout the arena that lasted for what seemed like 30-45 seconds as 30,000 or so people simultaneously said, in one form or another, "Holy $#!+, did you see that? How did he get to that ball? That was amazing! I can't believe he reached that high and was able to dunk it. I can't wait to see the replay of that!" :D

3. There's no way to overtstate what a huge impact it had on the game when Greg Anthony fouled out. In an unfamiliar situation with the score close in the final minutes, UNLV simply did not have anyone who could run the offense--as confirmed in those last few possessions--and the edge swung to Duke.

bird
09-30-2009, 03:57 PM
You guys are making tears come to my eyes. I mean, actual tears. I have a tape of the UNLV game in the basement, with a TV and a VCR setup, and only times I have used it in the last 3 years have been to rewatch the UNLV game.

No one good wanted to play UNLV; they cruised through the season putting whippings on inferior teams. Duke, steeled by the ACC schedule, applied game pressure, and UNLV froze up, perhaps best measured by the shot clock violation.

I remember this stupid 60 Minutes segment about this religious cult that teaches folks to fly, and to prove it it showed people sitting cross-legged propelling themselves forward by flopping their legs apart. Not a very convincing proof of the ability to fly. However, I know people can fly, because I did it when Hurley hit the 3. I LEVITATED.

MChambers
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm getting goosebumps just reading these descriptions!

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I have to go with The Shot. Not only is one of the most celebrated college basketball moments, it gives me goosebumps every time I watch a replay of it.

During the first Duke All-Star game (when was that again? 2002?), the 1992 team recreated the play with Grant throwing the ball to Christian. The first attempt didn't work, but they tried it again and Laettner hit it.

I nearly cried.

jesus_hurley
09-30-2009, 04:14 PM
2. The Grant Hill skywalking slam occurred early in the championship game against Kansas. (From our seats, which were near floor level in the corner opposite the Duke bench, it appeared certain that Hurley's pass from midcourt would sail far over the top of the backboard at the other end of the court; I was just about to gripe to my then 12-year-old son that Hurley needed to calm down and not squander those opportunities when Grant's hand rose unexpectedly into the path of the ball, intercepted it in mid-flight, and abruptly slammed it down through the basket. My most vivid memory of that sequence was the reaction of the crowd--instead of the usual roar you might have expected, there was a persistent buzz of animated conversation throughout the arena that lasted for what seemed like 30-45 seconds as 30,000 or so people simultaneously said, in one form or another, "Holy $#!+, did you see that? How did he get to that ball? That was amazing! I can't believe he reached that high and was able to dunk it. I can't wait to see the replay of that!"

This is one of the plays that helped me choose my screen name - There were a ton of plays by Hurley that made me and my father say 'Jesus Hurley what are you doing?', only to have the pass end up exactly where it was supposed to go or the shot to go in :)

85-86 season - Dawkins block on Rivers vs ND for the win

superdave
09-30-2009, 04:29 PM
G. Hill video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5XyzrWjKQ

It's not the best footage of the alley oop, but it works.

Tom B.
09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
G. Hill video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5XyzrWjKQ

It's not the best footage of the alley oop, but it works.

It can be seen in this video, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLqqWQXQmjM&feature=related

And this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11bm99SXHIg

And this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL25mHXnmM0&feature=fvw

yancem
09-30-2009, 07:29 PM
My greatest childhood Duke Basketball moment was Gene Banks last second shot against unc his senior year. I went outside after the game and imitated that shot for at least an hour.

As for "the shot", I was coming back from spring break and watching the game at my parents house. They were having a party to watch the game and it was hysterical watching the reactions of my parents and their friends. When Duke scored to go ahead with about 12 seconds left it was "oh this game is over what a great win". I tried to tell them that there was plenty of time left and that the game wasn't over but they were convinced it was over. Then Kentucky scored on sick layup with 2 and change and it was "@#$%$@# I can't believe we lost this game". Again, I tried to tell them that there was still time left and we still had a chance. Again they wouldn't listen. Well, we all know what happened next!!!!

oldnavy
09-30-2009, 08:17 PM
No doubt, the UNLV game. After holding the record for the most final fours without a title, it seemed as if we were destined to add to the futility. I remember sitting in my living room, totally ignoring a guest couple my wife (a tarheel) had invited over to watch the games. I sat about 2 feet from the screen and was screaming like a mad man. When Hurley shot the ball at the end, I remember shouting "What the H*** are you.... GREAT SHOT!!! I knew then that this FF was going to be different. Then in the Kansas game, when Grant threw down that opp, I started celebrating, because we finally had our National Championship. I remember being so happy that UNC lost to KU, because I literally do not think I could have watched the final after the excitement of the UNLV game.

78Devil
09-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Of all the great moments in Duke basketball, none of them compare to the feeling I had watching the pre-game coverage and the tipoff of the NCAA Championship game in 1978 against Kentucky -- where we ultimately lost. But that moment was when Duke had come back from the wilderness, and that season and that game gave us legitimacy. That was pre-Coach K, and he had to rebuild the program again before it would realize its potential. But after 1978, no one doubted again that it could be done.

BobbyFan
10-01-2009, 09:04 AM
The greatest moment has to be Laettner's shot.

But I haven't seen more pure joy and gratification than what resulted from the victory over UNLV.

Atldukie79
10-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I can't recall a longer, more sustained feeling of utter disdain and hatred for anybody or anything other than the final home game against UNC in 1979 when Dean Smith held the ball against Duke. For 20 minutes, the Heels held the ball whie Duke sat in its zone. With the exception of a few outburst of action (we did score 7 points in the half), the entire building spewed scorn and interesting language upon the Heels. It was Spanarkle's last home game. The big 3 (Sparky, G-man and Banks) were all hitting for around 20 points per game. And the heels let the air our of the ball.

While not as dramatic as The Shot or the other examples sited above, it was a wild crazy half...and we forever have the air-ball chant to enjoy as a result. Oh, and a 47-40 win!

killerleft
10-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Loved every moment you guys have mentioned. But the greatest moment in Duke basketball history was when Mike Krzyzewski was introduced as Duke's next head coach. And not one of us could have envisioned what would follow.

My game action vote would go to the 7-0 halftime game against Dean's four corners. Way to give up, Dean!:D

g_olaf
10-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Perhaps not the most important game, but for sheer joy: Johnny Dawkins blocking David River's shot with 2 seconds left to preserve a 75-74 victory against Notre Dame.

camion
10-01-2009, 02:57 PM
I have never, ever been as pumped after a game as I was at the end of the UNLV game. We were at the Pawley's Island at the time and I took a hike along the beach for about half an hour, shouting and fist pumping every few seconds, just to work off the adrenalin high. It was fantastic.

One moment that hasn't been mentioned is Duhon's end to end drive at the end of the game at UNC. That was pretty sweet.

airowe
10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I loved that Duhon play! he hit his head and back pretty hard on the basket support IIRC after going full-force from end to end. Or maybe that was in the tournament just following.

Speaking of things I do remember, the first memory I have to this day of Duke Basketball is when 2 defenders tried to trap Johnny Dawkins at half-court and JD does a little stop and go and splits the two guys while their standing there looking at each other not knowing what just happened. That was the moment I fell in love with Duke.

hq2
10-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I go with Yancem. Gene's shot was my senior year in college. I actually had the game hooked up over the telephone, miked to my stereo. I never forgot the emotion I felt when that ball dropped through the net (my brother and father were at the game, and said it was even more incredible in person). It was a moment for the ages.

-jk
10-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I go with Yancem. Gene's shot was my senior year in college. I actually had the game hooked up over the telephone, miked to my stereo. I never forgot the emotion I felt when that ball dropped through the net (my brother and father were at the game, and said it was even more incredible in person). It was a moment for the ages.

But Perkins tipped it, ending the game before the shot dropped. Well, at least according to Deano.

(Awesome moment, Deano not withstanding. My ears rang into the wee hours...)

-jk

sivartrenrag
10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Greatest moment ever has to be 'the shot,' in my opinion.

Greatest moment in recent memory, for me, is actually last season against the Twerps. Nolan is knocked down by a hard pick. Next play Gerald dunks over 3 twerps with authority. I loved it. Not the most significant play ever, obviously, but something about it got me more excited than I had been in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckLHEUkNOgE

DeepBlue70
10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Let's not forget Freddie Lind's moment in the sun. Maybe not the greatest moment in our illustrious history but certainly worth consideration. During a period of Carolina ascendency it was oh so sweet!

Tappan Zee Devil
10-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Let's not forget Freddie Lind's moment in the sun. Maybe not the greatest moment in our illustrious history but certainly worth consideration. During a period of Carolina ascendency it was oh so sweet!

I have been sitting here waiting to see if anyone would mention the Freddy Lind game. It is my most exhilarating experience in the Indoor stadium (not yet Cameron). Playing a highly ranked karolina team led by Charlie Scott - our All-american center, Mike Lewis, fouls out and Freddy Lind, buried deep on the bench all year, comes in and saves the day in three overtimes. I do not think that the Indoor stadium could be louder than it was on that day.

Jim

Kimist
10-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I have been sitting here waiting to see if anyone would mention the Freddy Lind game. It is my most exhilarating experience in the Indoor stadium (not yet Cameron). Playing a highly ranked karolina team led by Charlie Scott - our All-american center, Mike Lewis, fouls out and Freddy Lind, buried deep on the bench all year, comes in and saves the day in three overtimes. I do not think that the Indoor stadium could be louder than it was on that day.

Jim

Excellent call! It's a good thing that I was much younger on that day - else I probably would have had a coronary event of some type. That was one of those days when you could literally "feel" the noise while standing in the bleachers.

While there are perhaps more "meaningful" memories along the way of Duke basketball (including other wins over unc), this one should be in a category all by itself. I'm not sure anyone in Duke Indoor Stadium that day gave us a snowball's chance in an extremely warm place, against a very good Dean Smith team, once Mike Lewis had fouled out.

FWIW: Last I heard Lind was an attorney (public defender?) in the Greensboro NC area.

k

DeepBlue70
10-03-2009, 10:36 AM
For those of us who were students in the late 60's that game definitely stands out and will until Alzheimers robs us blind. I was at a game 7-10 years ago in Cameron when they recognized old-timers. Fred Lind was there. He looks really good. But I believe, if memory serves me correct, weren't there some articles a year or two ago about his daughter qualifying as an Olympic rower and didn't those say they live in California?

Indoor66
10-03-2009, 10:41 AM
For those of us who were students in the late 60's that game definitely stands out and will until Alzheimers robs us blind. I was at a game 7-10 years ago in Cameron when they recognized old-timers. Fred Lind was there. He looks really good. But I believe, if memory serves me correct, weren't there some articles a year or two ago about his daughter qualifying as an Olympic rower and didn't those say they live in California?

You mean this (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9941&highlight=caroline+lind) thread?

Turtleboy
10-04-2009, 01:50 PM
(Also notice on the clip that Augmon got free and was all alone under the basket -- if Hunt had shot an airball, it would have been a replay of Whittenburg-to-Charles and the game would've gone to OT.) Boy, it sure looks like he grabbed the rim on that shot.

jimsumner
10-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Fred Lind is an attorney in Greensboro.

orrnot
10-04-2009, 09:05 PM
It wasn't the greatest, but it was a great moment in Duke basketball history when Phil Henderson dunked on Alonzo Mourning.

cbfx3
10-04-2009, 10:05 PM

sagegrouse

+1 .. the UNLV win was the moment for me.. followed by the shot