PDA

View Full Version : "The National Parks", Ken Burns

hurleyfor3
09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Anyone else watching this? It's on something called PBS. The storytelling so far has been nothing short of exquisite. I thought I knew most of the story behind how the park system came to be, and have been to most of the better-known ones, so I didn't go in expecting to learn much. But I was in tears last night during the part about the damming of Hetch Hechy.

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the tip, had no idea it was on..Burns is a great story teller, even if you aren't a fan of his subjects. (I'm not a baseball fan, but that was a great documentary).

ohioguy2
09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
I normally get restless watching T V for more than 30 minutes or so, but I was glued to my chair for each minute of the 3 episodes so far. I think this is his best work.

DevilAlumna
09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
How many episodes are there? I was under the impression it was only one, but that's because I kept seeing it referred to as Ken Burns' new movie, not Ken Burns' new mini-series.

aimo
09-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Twelve hours. I'm recording the whole thing b/c I haven't been able to sit and watch all of it. After watching The War, I've been keeping my eye out for the next Ken Burns documentary. Beautiful so far.

whereinthehellami
09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
I've got 3 episodes on the DVR but have yet to watch one though. Looking forward to them.

hurleyfor3
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
There are six episodes, and I think pbs is running each episode twice a night.

For those who have not watched any of it, it is not one of those Travel Channel-type pieces that are all "here are all the geysers you can see and all the animals that can eat you but that you are forbidden to shoot". It's more about the development of the park system and the issues and politics surrounding them.

I think tonight is the Smokies, about which many of these issues still linger. (The Smokies do not have an entrance fee as part of the agreement with former landowners.)

feldspar
09-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Anyone else watching this? It's on something called PBS. The storytelling so far has been nothing short of exquisite. I thought I knew most of the story behind how the park system came to be, and have been to most of the better-known ones, so I didn't go in expecting to learn much. But I was in tears last night during the part about the damming of Hetch Hechy.

You were in tears. I broke a side table. That torked me right off.

roywhite
10-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks to the board for this recommendation.

Saw the episode tonight (1933-45); beautiful footage and excellent story.

Jim3k
10-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Tivo-ing it. Watched episodes 1 and 2 yesterday and today. Extremely well done. Humanizes John Muir as nothing I've seen before. Same with TR's impact. Not to mention that the photography is exquisite.