PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow: the new Jessica Lynch??

tommy
09-29-2009, 03:54 PM
So this is the latest drivel we're being asked to swallow with regards to Tebow. He takes a big knock against Kentucky the other day, probably a concussion, and Urban Meyer goes out onto the field to check on him, and the conversation allegedly goes like this:

Tebow: Did I hold onto the ball?
Meyer: Yes, you did.
Tebow: It's great to be a Gator.

That is so much horse hockey I can't stand it. Enough with the attempts to mythologize Tim Tebow already. His game is good enough to stand on its own. Why must they continually try to saint the guy as well?

airowe
09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
So this is the latest drivel we're being asked to swallow with regards to Tebow. He takes a big knock against Kentucky the other day, probably a concussion, and Urban Meyer goes out onto the field to check on him, and the conversation allegedly goes like this:

That is so much horse hockey I can't stand it. Enough with the attempts to mythologize Tim Tebow already. His game is good enough to stand on its own. Why must they continually try to saint the guy as well?

He is The Chosen One.

http://lennyfromindy.mywnde.com/files/2009/09/tebow-sweepstakes.jpg

SupaDave
09-29-2009, 04:32 PM

Actually, based on what I know and what I've seen from Tebow this doesn't sound unusual at all. The guy was practically raised to be Florida's QB...

Stray Gator
09-29-2009, 05:31 PM

Not that it will matter to those who simply cannot accept that an athlete or a coach (or, for that matter, a program) can be hugely successful and simultaneously be an extraordinarily "good person"--as Duke fans, we can relate to that sentiment, can't we?--but just FWIW, that is not a completely accurate quote of the conversation as related by Meyer in his post-game press conference. Funny, but the people who insist most strenuously that Tebow is not "too good to be true" are the ones who are around him and interact with him personally. I could repeat several unpublicized incidents or link you to some less publicized stories that confirm what a sincere, unselfish individual Tim Tebow is, and how he gives generously of his time to others less fortunate. But what's the point of wasting my time when it would only be regarded by you as more unwelcome "horse hockey"?

BD80
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Not that it will matter to those who simply cannot accept that an athlete or a coach (or, for that matter, a program) can be hugely successful and simultaneously be an extraordinarily "good person"--as Duke fans, we can relate to that sentiment, can't we?--but just FWIW, that is not a completely accurate quote of the conversation as related by Meyer in his post-game press conference. Funny, but the people who insist most strenuously that Tebow is not "too good to be true" are the ones who are around him and interact with him personally. I could repeat several unpublicized incidents or link you to some less publicized stories that confirm what a sincere, unselfish individual Tim Tebow is, and how he gives generously of his time to others less fortunate. But what's the point of wasting my time when it would only be regarded by you as more unwelcome "horse hockey"?

It is easy to see the backlash that arises when ESPN so overhypes a player and implies a moral superiority. Yes, Duke has had a few players receive that kind of treatment.

My favorite are the posters of Tebow "me so holy - me love you long time".

Frankly, compared to Hans, it doesn't seem like Tebow is overhyped at all ;)

Mal
09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Stray, I think you're being a little oversensitive here.

If that's not what Meyer reported the exchange on the field as being, can you give us a link to what was actually said? The quote above (which, c'mon, you have to acknowledge sounds like it's straight out of a Jerry Bruckheimer biopic, starring Keanu Reeves as Tim Tebow) is what I saw here http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2009-09-26/florida-qb-tim-tebow-leaves-game-after-taking-hard-hit .

Surely, as Duke fans, who pay plenty of attention to the rabid hatred of our program, we're aware that overexposure through media crushes is one of the more understandable causes of that reaction in others. From the outside, Tebow's a victim of the same thing. I hardly even follow college football, and I'm tired of hearing about this kid. The few Floridians I know act like he literally walks on water. Makes people retch. I'm not saying he shouldn't be lauded as a positive example, and no one's disagreeing with you that Tebow is both an excellent football player and a fine human being.

The reaction is to the media buildup, and Florida fan mythologizing, of him. It's as though his reputation as a nice, modest young man has magnified perception of his playing ability, which has in turn made it even more amazing that he's a nice, modest young man with his head on straight, ergo he must be the greatest living human. There are, in fact, other quality people playing college football, and decent athletes, to boot. Believe it or not, some of them go to church on Sundays, too. And, some of them don't, but still somehow manage to be good people nonetheless.

BD80 hits on this sub-issue with Tebow, which is the sanctimonious coverage of him and his religious nature. I'm sure that, even as a lifelong Southerner, you've rolled your eyes at coverage of Notre Dame from time to time. Well, Tebow's treated like a living, breathing Touchdown Jesus.

Stray Gator
09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
I learned long ago that, when Duke basketball and associated subjects become the target of discussion on the Gator bulletin board I frequent, it's best if I just keep my thoughts to myself and resist the temptation to "defend the honor" of the Blue Devils, because no recitation of facts can diminish people's feelings of dislike towards other players or coaches or teams. It's readily apparent that I need to apply the same rule of restraint here. So I'll stand aside on this issue.

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2009, 08:05 PM
At the risk of being overtly political, I don't see nor appreciate the comparison of Tim Tebow to Jessica Lynch. For those that don't know who she is, check here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Lynch) She had controversies on her return, but the reasons she was known are still factual..she was a POW. He got hurt in a game.

SupaDave
09-29-2009, 08:15 PM
One of the things I like to do is watch the development of athletes and I've been watching Tebow for a while now. The kid really hasn't made one wrong move. He works HARD. I'm talking beyond hard really and it has been documented tons of times. He lifts with his linemen for Christ's sake! (LOL)

Yet, people are still looking for that chink in the armor. In my book he's one of the ones truly deserving of the hype (and this is from a guy who felt he overshadowed my homeboy Chris Leak's senior moment).

Mike Corey
09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
I've come to learn to trust whatever it is that Stray Gator says.

That said, I think that which distinguishes the adoration Tebow receives from the media and that which was hurled upon Shane Battier is the evangelical element that is brought to bear.

That is by no means an attempt at excusing the vitriol that arises from a disbelieving public against those we're told by others are great people--be they politicians, college athletes or whomever else. I think it's great that there are people out there that feel strongly about things and are willing to share those feelings with the pulpit they've been afforded.

Some people champion political or social causes when a megaphone is placed in their hands. And some people champion religious ones. Others, none at all.

The religious aspect of Tebow (and plenty others) does, I'd suggest, distinguish the situation a bit.

I'm a big Ohio State fan. Tressel, not unlike Tebow, is credited with--at the very least--being a good person. The fact that he is a very religious person is often cited as a reason why. And like Tebow, Tressel has no qualms with speaking of his faith, and of using the access sport has afforded him to share that faith with whomever listens.

There are many in Columbus, however, who for whatever reason will cringe when Tressel hosts religious events. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwlnJF0dWQs)

My suspicion is that many react similarly to Tebow when he espouses his specific beliefs.

All that said, that probably has nothing to do with Tommy's remark. Just throwin' it out there for conversation's sake. It certainly has nothing to do with Tebow's tremendous accomplishments on the field, nor with the media coverage that accompanies it.

I do think many react negatively to Tebow in a unique way--compared to how they reacted to Battier--because of the religious elements that often coincide with--and are often used to augment and/or exacerbate--the praise Tebow receives.

FireOgilvie
09-29-2009, 08:28 PM
I've come to learn to trust whatever it is that Stray Gator says.

That said, I think that which distinguishes the adoration Tebow receives from the media and that which was hurled upon Shane Battier is the evangelical element that is brought to bear.

That is by no means an attempt at excusing the vitriol that arises from a disbelieving public against those we're told by others are great people--be they politicians, college athletes or whomever else. I think it's great that there are people out there that feel strongly about things and are willing to share those feelings with the pulpit they've been afforded.

Some people champion political or social causes when a megaphone is placed in their hands. And some people champion religious ones. Others, none at all.

The religious aspect of Tebow (and plenty others) does, I'd suggest, distinguish the situation a bit.

I'm a big Ohio State fan. Tressel, not unlike Tebow, is credited with--at the very least--being a good person. The fact that he is a very religious person is often cited as a reason why. And like Tebow, Tressel has no qualms with speaking of his faith, and of using the access sport has afforded him to share that faith with whomever listens.

There are many in Columbus, however, who for whatever reason will cringe when Tressel hosts religious events. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwlnJF0dWQs)

My suspicion is that many react similarly to Tebow when he espouses his specific beliefs.

All that said, that probably has nothing to do with Tommy's remark. Just throwin' it out there for conversation's sake. It certainly has nothing to do with Tebow's tremendous accomplishments on the field, nor with the media coverage that accompanies it.

I do think many react negatively to Tebow in a unique way--compared to how they reacted to Battier--because of the religious elements that often coincide with--and are often used to augment and/or exacerbate--the praise Tebow receives.

I think you're right about the religious aspect. To me, I think that hearing about how great Tebow is on the field (he is a great leader) while also hearing about how he isn't going to have pre-marital sex is completely over-the-top.

The kid is only taking 1 class this semester. He's basically a full-time athlete. That also bothers me a bit. Overall, I don't dislike him at all. I just think the media adoration and treatment he gets is ridiculous. The SportsCenter anchors, while reporting his concussion, looked like they were going to cry while saying, "He will be in our thoughts."

Indoor66
09-29-2009, 08:28 PM
When I was raised up, I was told that if I couldn't say something nice, don't say anything. IMO that is applicable here.

throatybeard
09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
At the risk of being overtly political, I don't see nor appreciate the comparison of Tim Tebow to Jessica Lynch. For those that don't know who she is, check here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Lynch) She had controversies on her return, but the reasons she was known are still factual..she was a POW. He got hurt in a game.

What he said. What on earth does Tebow have to do with Jessica Lynch? I don't appreciate the naked attempt to politicize this in an inappropriate way.

A-Tex Devil
09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I think Florida fans need to be less worried about what people think about Tebow and more worried about what happens when they play a really good defense without the benefit of Percy Harvin. :p

The Tebow/Battier/Hansborough comparisons are apt. They are all great people, comsummate collegiate athletes, and kinda dorky. And they all, expecially the latter two in this new media day and age, were WAY overexposed. And although they all won players of the year, national championships, etc., none were necessarily the best or most important player on their own team.

But I gotta thank Tim Tebow for inspiring the name of my fantasy football team this year "Tebow's Izmel."

sagegrouse
09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
What he said. What on earth does Tebow have to do with Jessica Lynch? I don't appreciate the naked attempt to politicize this in an inappropriate way.

OK. Thanks for the opening. Jessica Lynch did nothing wrong. The reports on her supposed "heroic exploits" during the initial Iraq invasion came from the Army (she actually never fired a gun). She was hospitalized, more or less, and then rescued by US Army forces. She did not contribute one word to the ridiculous stories of heroism.

Incidentally, as a result of hers and similar experiences, I understand the Army revamped its entry-level training to ensure that all soldiers (she was in a non-combatant specialty) receive the basics of combat and small arms training.

What Jessica Lynch has to do with Tim Tebow I can only guess. I suppose someone is saying that the words, "It's great to be a Gator," were not his but the work of someone else. Harumph! Harumph! You know, football players really talk that way. And so do soldiers.

sagegrouse

rthomas
09-30-2009, 07:23 AM
I suspect that he meant Jessica Simpson instead of Jessica Lynch.

oldnavy
09-30-2009, 07:46 AM
I can not get enough of Tim Tebow. I have never been a Gator fan, but I really like this kid and have started watching all the UF games I can because of him. I began hearing about him when he was playing ball at Nease HS in Jacksonville FL. I was stationed there and I meant to go watch him play but never did. Anyway, he IS a quality kid and IS strong in his faith. There are not enough examples like him IMHO. He doesn't just say that he is a believer, he acts. He has been on 8-9 overseas mission trips since he was a young teenager, so he walks the walk. In today's world so many people say they are this and that, but Tebow is the real deal. I teach a high school boys youth group at church and I cannot tell you how glad I am to show these young men an example of how someone who is in the public spotlight is living their faith sucessfully. It gets very old (and boring) using bad examples like we constantly hear about in an attempt to make a positive point. People will hate on him, and some will do it precisly because of his faith, but that is no surprise, acutally it means that he is doing it correctly!(2 Corinthians 12:10). GO TEBOW!

whereinthehellami
09-30-2009, 08:27 AM
I can not get enough of Tim Tebow. I have never been a Gator fan, but I really like this kid and have started watching all the UF games I can because of him. I began hearing about him when he was playing ball at Nease HS in Jacksonville FL. I was stationed there and I meant to go watch him play but never did. Anyway, he IS a quality kid and IS strong in his faith. There are not enough examples like him IMHO. He doesn't just say that he is a believer, he acts. He has been on 8-9 overseas mission trips since he was a young teenager, so he walks the walk. In today's world so many people say they are this and that, but Tebow is the real deal. I teach a high school boys youth group at church and I cannot tell you how glad I am to show these young men an example of how someone who is in the public spotlight is living their faith sucessfully. It gets very old (and boring) using bad examples like we constantly hear about in an attempt to make a positive point. People will hate on him, and some will do it precisly because of his faith, but that is no surprise, acutally it means that he is doing it correctly!(2 Corinthians 12:10). GO TEBOW!

You need to be careful when you idolize someone without knowing them. What you know of Tebow is what THEY let you know of him. I got a feeling Tebow doesn't know who the real Tebow is. I feel sorry for the kid personally. He seems like he has been prepped to be a QB his whole life. Everything about the kid seems like a calculated marketing decision. If he screws up its going to be a long, lonely fall.

A-Tex Devil
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM
You need to be careful when you idolize someone without knowing them. What you know of Tebow is what THEY let you know of him. I got a feeling Tebow doesn't know who the real Tebow is. I feel sorry for the kid personally. He seems like he has been prepped to be a QB his whole life. Everything about the kid seems like a calculated marketing decision. If he screws up its going to be a long, lonely fall.

I am as annoyed/amused with the Tebow hype as anyone. Once he woke up and was OK, I admit I chuckled at the guy that yelled "He has risen!" at the sports bar.

That said, I think the statements above are pretty unfair - I don't think that oldnavy is idolizing Tebow, but holding him out as an example. There is a difference. His trip to the Phillipines, for instance, was the type of trip he'd been taking with his family for years, not some publicity stunt orchestrated by anyone. A news outlet (ESPN? I can't remember, may have been CBS Sports) found out he was going 2 summers ago and followed him out there. It wasn't "Hey, look at me and what I'm doing," it was the media looking for a story on the Heisman winner.

As mentioned by a few people on this thread, these are the kind of statements that was often made about Battier or Hansborough, and it's not fair to those guys.

I think Tebow is the best rushing QB ever to rush for less than 4 yards a carry :D, but I don't doubt that his actions on and off the field are genuine. Even if the "Promise" was some of the most corny schmaltz I've ever heard, I don't think it was orchestrated. But I do find it hilarious that Florida has already memorialized it like a bible verse on the walls of their athletic department.

JasonEvans
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM
In an effort to try to straighten this thread out and make it a little less PPB material...

What I find at least mildly interesting about Tebow is that he may be simultaneously the greatest college football player in a generation and just an "ok" NFL prospect at QB. I know it is nothing new for a kid to be more suited to the college game, but we are talking about what will likely be a multiple Heisman winner and, again, one of the all-timers in the college game.

Most mock drafts that I have seen have him as the 3rd or 4th best QB on the board. Clausen, Bradford, and Jevan Snead seems to be ahead of him in most mocks. Colt McCoy is highly regarded too. The consensus seems to be that he is probably a late first round draft pick, which is not bad at all. Many mocks say that some team will fall in love with him from a ticket sales and marketing standpoint (I've seen Jax and Washington linked to him in this regard) more than from a "it makes good football sense" position.

Anyway, when I watch Florida play, I sometimes try to imagine what Tebow will be like as a pro and I think the odds of him being a bust are pretty high. I could see him being a genuine wildcat QB -- one who can run the ball and legitimately throw it-- but I think he will take a real pounding in the pros. His basic mechanics when he is throwing the ball seem really weak to my mildly trained eye. He seems to miss a fair number of intermediate range throws. The experts say his release is waaay too long and his footwork is just terrible. They also say he locks onto a receiver and is bad at looking for 2nd and 3rd options (other than tucking it down and running it himself). He gets away with a lot of stuff in the college game, with superior Florida receivers and against outclassed opponents much of the time, that will prove fatal for a QB in the NFL.

We'll see in a year. There will be a lot of hardware for Mr. Tebow to pick up between now and then.

--Jason "other opinions?" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
What I find at least mildly interesting about Tebow is that he may be simultaneously the greatest college football player in a generation and just an "ok" NFL prospect at QB. I know it is nothing new for a kid to be more suited to the college game, but we are talking about what will likely be a multiple Heisman winner and, again, one of the all-timers in the college game.

Sounds reminscent of Charlie Ward...a Heisman winner who went undrafted.(at least not in the first round) Of course, Ward had basketball to fall back on.

allenmurray
09-30-2009, 10:43 AM

I help lead the youth group at my church. Last Sunday when one kid said something negative about someone else, one member of the group spoke up and said, "Quit hating like Plankton". (An explanation, if necessary - Plankton is a character in the TV show Sponge Bob. Plankton is negative about everything.)

Why are you hating on Teebow like Plankton?

A-Tex Devil
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
We'll see in a year. There will be a lot of hardware for Mr. Tebow to pick up between now and then.

In my opinion, Tebow isn't any more talented a player than Tommy Frazier or the QB that followed him at Nebraska (can't recall the name, Scott Frost?). VY (yes that VY) was a better passer in college than Tebow as well.

He is however the perfect player for Urban Meyer's offense so long as the requisite weapons are around him. His battering ram running style doesn't really have a place in the NFL, and if he doesn't have playmakers on the edge, he loses some of his effectiveness in college against stout defenses. I really, really think Florida is going to miss Percy Harvin this year.

His Hesiman season was one for the ages (it was also the year Florida lost 4 games). But there is a whole, whole lot more to Florida's success over the last 3 years than Tim Tebow. ESPN just doesn't want you to think so.

SupaDave
09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
In an effort to try to straighten this thread out and make it a little less PPB material...

Most mock drafts that I have seen have him as the 3rd or 4th best QB on the board. Clausen, Bradford, and Jevan Snead seems to be ahead of him in most mocks. Colt McCoy is highly regarded too. The consensus seems to be that he is probably a late first round draft pick, which is not bad at all. Many mocks say that some team will fall in love with him from a ticket sales and marketing standpoint (I've seen Jax and Washington linked to him in this regard) more than from a "it makes good football sense" position.

Anyway, when I watch Florida play, I sometimes try to imagine what Tebow will be like as a pro and I think the odds of him being a bust are pretty high. I could see him being a genuine wildcat QB -- one who can run the ball and legitimately throw it-- but I think he will take a real pounding in the pros. His basic mechanics when he is throwing the ball seem really weak to my mildly trained eye. He seems to miss a fair number of intermediate range throws. The experts say his release is waaay too long and his footwork is just terrible. They also say he locks onto a receiver and is bad at looking for 2nd and 3rd options (other than tucking it down and running it himself). He gets away with a lot of stuff in the college game, with superior Florida receivers and against outclassed opponents much of the time, that will prove fatal for a QB in the NFL.

I actually happen to be very high on Colt McCoy. As far as Tebow goes - he's got tight end written all over him.

In the case of Charlie Ward - he didn't REALLY go undrafted. He told teams before hand that if he wasn't going in the first round as a QUARTERBACK (guaranteed money) then he was gonna play basketball. Nobody wanted him in the first round and Ward didn't even show up for the draft. He proceeded to become a point guard. Charlie is now in Houston and back to the sport he loves - football.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I actually happen to be very high on Colt McCoy. As far as Tebow goes - he's got tight end written all over him.

In the case of Charlie Ward - he didn't REALLY go undrafted. He told teams before hand that if he wasn't going in the first round as a QUARTERBACK (guaranteed money) then he was gonna play basketball. Nobody wanted him in the first round and Ward didn't even show up for the draft. He proceeded to become a point guard. Charlie is now in Houston and back to the sport he loves - football.

If I remember correctly, Colt McCoy's life has some striking similarities to that of Tim Tebow.

If I had to choose between hearing about a lifestyle similar to that of Colt McCoy/ Tim Tebow and a college athlete who lives a "bad boy" lifestyle, I'd much prefer hearing about a guy who takes the high road in life.

JasonEvans
09-30-2009, 12:29 PM
In my opinion, Tebow isn't any more talented a player than Tommy Frazier or the QB that followed him at Nebraska (can't recall the name, Scott Frost?). VY (yes that VY) was a better passer in college than Tebow as well.

Eric Crouch was the replacement QB.

Didn't Tommy Frazier have a disease or something?

(checks wiki)

Yeah, he had blood clots and Crone's Disease. I seem to recall that is what kept him out of the NFL.

--Jason "yeah, he was a truly great one" Evans

cspan37421
09-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I hope my post can add a little clarity without taking it into the no-longer-a-choice PP arena.

sagegrouse explained the comparison well. No one is "hating" on Tebow because he might have said something noteworthy. It's just that it sounds an awful lot like stuff we've heard before out of Hollywood ... and the Army. It's a bit like crying wolf - it may well be authentic, but we're pretty jaded by now of stories of heroism and bravery that turned out to be heavily embellished.

w/r/t his religious belief, I know of no one who thinks he is insincere. However, as pointed out in letters to SI a couple weeks ago, some people feel "you [don't] gotta love Tim Tebow" in light of the knowledge of the following points taken together (note, I have not verified these assertions for myself, but if true, I can understand some of the resentment)

- he is prominently featured on the website of his father's evangelical ministry
- such site claims that 70-80% of people in the Philippines have not heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- about the same percentage of Filipinos are Roman Catholic.

(I saved the page from SI but can't find it right now, otherwise I'd give the exact quote. Nevertheless, the gist is above).

As a teen I also held evangelical Christian views and was a member of a Southern Baptist church. I don't think it was at all uncommon among Southern Baptists in that time and place to believe that Catholics were "unsaved;" though I never held that view personally, I had a number of "elders" explain to me why it must be so.

If one can reasonably infer that the elder Tebow holds this view, and that the QB Tebow may as well (or at least does not disapprove of it), I think some of the eye-rolling and discomfort w/r/t what are inferred to be his religious views become more understandable. Of course one can't be certain what he thinks, but it is not hard to make the connections, and some do.

oldnavy
09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I can assure you that I do not idolize Tim Tebow or for that matter any man. And, you are correct, I do not "know" Tim Tebow, I only know what I read and see him do in the public arena. Based on those observations, I believe that he is a good guy and sincere in his faith. I also understand how you can get tired of hearing about someone, even the good guys. I felt that way for the last 4 years about Hansblah. I often mentioned that I would love for my kids to play the way Hansblah played, and he seemed to be a nice enough kid off the court. But I got tired of him, because of the way others talked about him AND the advantages I felt he was given via calls on the court. I do not see Tebow getting any special treatment on the field, but he does get a lot of press, and probably suffers from overexposure (not his fault). A friend of mine mentioned that he is waiting for the story of Tebow getting caught doing something illegal or immoral. That is sad in a way isn't it. We have a society where we tend to expect and celebrate the worst of our nature, while at the same time minimize and sometimes mock the good that is being done all around us. Sermon over!