PDA

View Full Version : Binghamton Mess

airowe
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
The Duke curse strikes again.

Apparently, a zookeeper in Binghamton is upset that the situation is being compared to a zoo. This is hilarious. I wonder if the wrath the Duke Curse lays upon those who beat us is indirectly proportionate to their seeding in the tournament?

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20090929/VIEWPOINTS03/909290310/1120/Comparison+insults+zoo

Our animal care, safety, employees and educational and service standards are set high and met accordingly. Not one of our tigers has been arrested with cocaine. No otter knocks over old ladies to shoplift condoms. Our bear doesn't have temper tantrums and storm off his exhibit. You won't find any of our lemurs busted for smoking pot. So, please, stop insulting zoos by comparing those criminals to us.

For those who don't know about the story, here it is (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/36465/binghamton_basketball_no_slinging_crack_rock,_fewe r_wicked_jump_shots).

SilkyJ
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
She is a Business Manager not a Zookeeper and I was very offended myself.

sagegrouse
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
She is a Business Manager not a Zookeeper and I was very offended myself.

It is a hilarious situation when a zoo employee is able to rear up on her hind legs and bleat about the insult to the zoo when the animals at the zoo are compared to the Binghampton basketball players, when they, in fact, have done none of those awful things.

sagegrouse

NovaScotian
09-30-2009, 09:09 AM
i've actually been to the binghampton zoo myself, and its really quite embarrassing. they don't have very much to be proud of. that said, i love zoos, and had a great time even at this crappy zoo.

DevilGrad
10-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Broadus has been put on paid leave en route to being put out of his misery. Assistant coach Mark Macon will take the reins. Two surprising facts in this story:

(1) Mark Macon is coaching at Binghamton.
(2) He is forty years old. :eek:

Has it really been that long since the Temple commemorative tee-shirts were on sale at the Bryan Center?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4559713

jimsumner
10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
"Has it really been that long since the Temple commemorative tee-shirts were on sale at the Bryan Center?"

Hate to break it to you, but the guy who shut Macon down in the '88 East Region finals is old enough to have been fired from a NBA front-office job.

Tempus fugit and all that.

roywhite
10-14-2009, 09:55 PM
"Has it really been that long since the Temple commemorative tee-shirts were on sale at the Bryan Center?"

Hate to break it to you, but the guy who shut Macon down in the '88 East Region finals is old enough to have been fired from a NBA front-office job.

Tempus fugit and all that.

Tempus fugit? Indeed.

Forget Temple? Not for those of us old enough to have been Duke fans at the time; what a performance by Billy King.

Good luck to Mark Macon....talk about inheriting a mess.

alteran
10-15-2009, 12:29 PM
i've actually been to the binghampton zoo myself, and its really quite embarrassing. they don't have very much to be proud of. that said, i love zoos, and had a great time even at this crappy zoo.

I've been there as well. I agree, it pales in comparison to, say, the San Diego Zoo.

On the other hand, Binghamton is a bit smaller than San Diego, and I suspect a multi-billion dollar "zoo effort" there would be a bit of a boondoggle. For what it is, it seems fine to me. (And it DOES have the obligatory Greater Binghamton Area Free Merry-Go-Round.)

I have mixed feelings about zoos, even well-funded "humane" ones like the NCZoo. I think seeing wild animals close enough to have a mildly visceral reaction to them is good and prompts some awareness, but am not sure its worth it.