PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NBA - 2008/2009

91_92_01_10_15
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I apologize if this has already been addressed on the site, but I don't remember seeing anything on when/if this feature will return to DBR. In the meantime, does anyone know if someone else is compiling this information on another Duke-centric web site? Thanks in advance for any info.

BluBones
03-02-2007, 01:38 PM
It probably won't be back. The info has been moved here: http://www.sportsstats.com/nba/report.php

91_92_01_10_15
03-02-2007, 02:58 PM
It probably won't be back. The info has been moved here: http://www.sportsstats.com/nba/report.php

Great, Thanks!

91_92_01_10_15
03-02-2008, 01:22 AM

Is this site still being maintained? It hasn't worked in a couple of days.

91_92_01_10_15
03-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Is this site still being maintained? It hasn't worked in a couple of days.

Anyone know?

Bluedog
03-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Don't know anything about that site, but Duke Blue Planet has a page dedicated to Dukies in the NBA. See NBA.com Duke player stats (must use IE) (http://dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?bid=8&pid=84) and Duke in the NBA (http://dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?bid=8&pid=151)

SupaDave
10-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread for the sake of what is an unprecedented year for Dukies in the NBA.

At this current moment there at FOURTEEN Dukies in the NBA as follows:

Boozer - Jazz
Dunleavy - Pacers
McRoberts - Pacers
Brand - Nets
Jones - Nuggets
Maggette - Warriors
Nelson - Warriors
Battier - Rockets
Redick - Magic
Williams - Kings
Duhon - Knicks
Randolph - Blazers
Deng - Bulls
Hill - Suns

Very nice collection indeed - more than anyone. Include international players like Langdon, Horvath, Dockery, and Ewing and our players have been quite successful.

dball
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread for the sake of what is an unprecedented year for Dukies in the NBA.

Boozer - Jazz
Dunleavy - Pacers
McRoberts - Pacers
Brand - Nets
Jones - Nuggets
Maggette - Warriors
Nelson - Warriors
Battier - Rockets
Redick - Magic
Williams - Kings
Duhon - Knicks
Randolph - Blazers
Deng - Bulls
Hill - Suns

Very nice collection indeed - more than anyone. Include international players like Langdon, Horvath, Dockery, and Ewing and our players have been quite successful.

Nets could use him, but Brand's in Philly

Bluedog
10-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Quite an impressive list. Adding salary figures for 2008-09...

Brand - 76ers - $14,248,000
Boozer - Jazz - $11,593,817
Deng - Bulls -$9,385,000
Dunleavy - Pacers - $9,000,000
Maggette - Warriors - $8,275,862
Battier - Rockets -$6,448,900
Duhon - Knicks - $5,585,000
Williams - Kings - $3,395,760
Redick - Magic - $2,139,720
Hill - Suns - $1,976,400
Randolph - Blazers -$826,269
Jones - Nuggets - $797,581
McRoberts - Pacers - $711,517
Nelson - Warriors - $442,114

http://dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?bid=8

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Great to see so many Devils doing so well. At this point I think the old "Duke can't produce NBA players" trope is dead, buried, decomposed, and growing flowers. (I also hope someone's putting these numbers in Kenny Boynton's ear.)

speedevil
10-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Boozer - Jazz
Dunleavy - Pacers
McRoberts - Pacers
Brand - Nets
Jones - Nuggets
Maggette - Warriors
Nelson - Warriors
Battier - Rockets
Redick - Magic
Williams - Kings
Duhon - Knicks
Randolph - Blazers
Deng - Bulls
Hill - Suns

i can only have a 13 man roster for my all duke nba fantasy team.
who should i keep on the roster for the last spot out of shav or mcbob?

right now i have the following, drafted in this order:

1. brand
2. boozer
3. dunleavy
4. maggette
5. deng
6. battier
7. hill
8. duhon
9. williams
10. redick
11. jones
12. nelson

13. shav or mcbob

i have no idea if either will even make their respective teams, but if they both do, its going to be a hard decision.

mcbob is listed as a PF/C which is huge because my only other C eligble players are boozer and brand.

shav is listed as a SF/PF.

SupaDave
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
i can only have a 13 man roster for my all duke nba fantasy team.
who should i keep on the roster for the last spot out of shav or mcbob?

right now i have the following, drafted in this order:

1. brand
2. boozer
3. dunleavy
4. maggette
5. deng
6. battier
7. hill
8. duhon
9. williams
10. redick
11. jones
12. nelson

13. shav or mcbob

i have no idea if either will even make their respective teams, but if they both do, its going to be a hard decision.

mcbob is listed as a PF/C which is huge because my only other C eligble players are boozer and brand.

shav is listed as a SF/PF.

This is absolutely nuts to do but I LIKE it!

And why would Jones go ahead of Markie since he will have the ball in his hands?

ldavid1
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
I haven't seen anything on Dock posted in quite some time......where is he and how is he doing? One of my favorite Duke players...so unselfish and a great team player!

Bluedog
10-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I haven't seen anything on Dock posted in quite some time......where is he and how is he doing? One of my favorite Duke players...so unselfish and a great team player!

He was released by the Edmonton Chill (http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3635674) of the International Basketball League in May of this year....See discussion (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9134&highlight=Rashaun+Broadus).

SilkyJ
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Deng played 45 minutes tonight. Average night for him, but just interesting to see that they played him 45 mins in a preseason game.

One guess would be that they are still deciding on their starting lineup and depth chart and with Luol as the primary offensive option, or at leat tied for "primary" with Hinrich, they are seeing how the team plays and how he plays with different players around him...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281014004

ice-9
10-15-2008, 03:59 AM
Dukies in the NBA would make a decent team! Brackets as backup...

PG: Duhon (Nelson)
SG: Maggette (Dunleavy, Redick)
SF: Deng (Battier, Jones)
PF: Brand/Boozer (Randolph)
C: Boozer/Brand (Williams, McRoberts)

Weird to see that we are weakest at the PG spot given Duke is traditionally seen as guard oriented. But with the above lineup we can also have Dunleavy or Maggette bring up the ball.

With the above line up I think D'Antoni would be the perfect coach. Every starter (assuming Brand is at PF and Boozer is at C) can run and score. The only weakness in the starting five is an outside shooter, but you can always switch Dunleavy (and to a lesser degree Redick) for Maggette if you need it.

Overall, I think Duke NBA players would make a decent NBA team.

CameronCrazy'11
10-15-2008, 04:50 AM

SF: Deng (Battier, Jones)

Weird to see that we are weakest at the PG spot given Duke is traditionally seen as guard oriented. But with the above lineup we can also have Dunleavy or Maggette bring up the ball.

With the above line up I think D'Antoni would be the perfect coach. Every starter (assuming Brand is at PF and Boozer is at C) can run and score. The only weakness in the starting five is an outside shooter, but you can always switch Dunleavy (and to a lesser degree Redick) for Maggette if you need it.

Overall, I think Duke NBA players would make a decent NBA team.

I love how Duke somehow has the reputation as a school that doesn't put good big men in the NBA. If you were to collect all the Duke players in the NBA onto one team it'd be unstoppable at the 3-5, but a little weak at the 2, and with only 1 real point. If anything, our reputation is the exact opposite of reality.

MIKESJ73
10-15-2008, 08:16 AM
We also could go real tall with Grant Hill running as point forward. I know he is older, but surely he is in the rotation.

ice-9
10-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I forgot about Hill! He can still play that's for sure.

JasonEvans
10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Duke's rep as PG U is tainted from an NBA perspective by the fact that our 2 top PGs both had what appeared to be very promissing careers cut short by vehicular accidents.

Imagine the Duke NBA team if it had a healthy JWill at PG!!

--Jason "FWIW, I think Dun or Hill could be solid point-forwards on the all-Duke NBA team" Evans

GopherBlue
10-15-2008, 04:00 PM

SF: Hill/Deng (Battier, Jones)

This is a solid lineup. Are there any other 'alumni' teams in the NBA that could compete? The best matchup might be the former heels:
PG: Raymond Felton
SG: Rashad McCants
SF: Vince Carter (Jerry Stackhouse)
PF: Rasheed Wallace/Antawn Jamison (Marvin Williams, Sean May)
C: Brenda Haywood

Not sure what other schools could even field starting 5 ... perhaps UCLA (Davis, Kapono, Farmar, Ariza, Love, Gadzuric???) and Kansas (Hinrich, Chalmers, Collison, Pierce, Gooden, Pollard??).

BD80
10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
This is a solid lineup. Are there any other 'alumni' teams in the NBA that could compete? ...

Arizona has 12 in the NBA but only one interior player - Channing Frye. Arenas, Bibby, Jefferson, and Iguodala is a very talented group. Walton is a good reserve.

Memphis is young but talented:

Earl Barron (30) Miami Heat C
Rodney Carney Minnesota Timberwolves SF
Joey Dorsey (15) Houston Rockets PF
Chris Douglas-Roberts New Jersey Nets SG
Derrick Rose (1) Chicago Bulls PG
Shawne Williams (4) Indiana Pacers SF
Lorenzen Wright (42) Sacramento Kings C

Bob Green
10-15-2008, 06:17 PM
DeMarcus Nelson played 26 minutes and logged 8 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assist, and 1 turnover against Milwaukee:

Box Score (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281015009)

speedevil
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
This is absolutely nuts to do but I LIKE it!

And why would Jones go ahead of Markie since he will have the ball in his hands?

markie has a chance to make the team right now. him starting is still up in the air..but he wont really have the ball in his hands..it will be jackson or maggette making most of the plays until ellis gets back.
plus in the long season, jones will get more playing time in denver and jones will be much more productive.

speedevil
10-15-2008, 11:10 PM
This is a solid lineup. Are there any other 'alumni' teams in the NBA that could compete? The best matchup might be the former heels:
PG: Raymond Felton
SG: Rashad McCants
SF: Vince Carter (Jerry Stackhouse)
PF: Rasheed Wallace/Antawn Jamison (Marvin Williams, Sean May)
C: Brenda Haywood

Not sure what other schools could even field starting 5 ... perhaps UCLA (Davis, Kapono, Farmar, Ariza, Love, Gadzuric???) and Kansas (Hinrich, Chalmers, Collison, Pierce, Gooden, Pollard??).

13 total players: ray allen, rip hamilton, ben gordon, rudy gay, okafor, josh boone, hilton armstrong, charlie villanueva, marcus williams,....who else?

BlueintheFace
10-16-2008, 01:21 AM
www.dukeblueplanet.com always has updated stuff on Duke NBA players

Acymetric
10-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Figured I'd put this here rather than start a new thread. Looks like JJ decided he didn't want to do anything but score tonight.

27 minutes, 15 points (7-12, 1-4 from 3), no free throws, 1 rebound, 1 foul. No assists, steals, or turnovers.

zingit
10-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Here's (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/10/coach-jj-redick.html) some good news on the J.J. front: Van Gundy says he has improved his defense. That will be key for him to continue earning minutes once the season starts. It sounds like the coach hasn't totally decided yet who he wants as his back-up shooting guard, but I sure hope it's J.J.!

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Looks like there will be at least two unexpected Dukies starting opening day. Demarcus has earned his spot, and Dahntay Jones will be starting (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10788937)due to an injury to Carmelo Anthony. Gonna be fun keeping tabs of so many alumni this year.

MIKESJ73
10-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Duke has had alot of success with NBA longshots. There are alot of first rounders including lottery picks that get waived after their gaurenteed contracts expire. Second rounders are longshots to even make a team and undrafted players, they just don't make it.

Carlos Boozer - 2nd round (All-Star)
Chris Duhon - 2nd round (Knicks Starter,Captain)
Josh McRoberts - 2nd round (2nd season)
Demarcus Nelson - Undrafted (Warriors Stater)
Shav Randolph - Undrafted, (4th season)

One player making a team is great, two is impressive, five is unreal.

An all Duke roster would be great but unfortunately the NBA salary cap is $58.6 million, not near enough for the $74.8 million our Dukies will make this year.