PDA

View Full Version : FB: Virginia Tech 34, Duke 26

brianl
09-29-2009, 09:04 AM
I know its only Tuesday, but when you work in an environment full of Hokies you can't help but get up for this week.

The Duke Football program has made great leaps and the timing is right for an upset.

Rip em Up,
Tear em Up,
Give em Hell,

Duke!!!!

Duke of Nashville
09-29-2009, 10:09 AM
My father and I are huge Duke Athletics fans. We are making the trip from Nashville to come watch the game this weekend. Last year we watched Duke beat up on Vanderbuilt here in Nashville, what a great game!

I am looking forward to the next few years of Duke Football. I have faith that DC can, and will, get us to be a middle of the pack ACC football team. What I am really excited for is to see if we will ever be able to contend for an ACC title. :)

Forecast?

SupaDave
09-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Forecast?

At this point I think it will be great to hope for a good game. Duke will have to keep Tech's offense off the field in a major way.

DukeSean
09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Honestly, if this weekend's game is as close as it was last year, I'll be happy. I highly doubt an upset, but staying within 14 would make me very happy.

6th Man
09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't think we have the horses this year to upset the Hokies, but this is the perfect scenario to maybe play them a decent game. They are coming off an emotional high whipping the Hurricanes last weekend. They are coming to Duke for a noon game. How pumped could they be this week? I love Duke, but if you are a Hokie player, this is one you probably aren't quite as jacked up for. May be one that is closer than a lot of people may think. Who knows...

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Forecast?
Early forecast is for upper 70's and mostly clear. Anything will beat last weekend's weather.

Duke of Nashville
09-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Early forecast is for upper 70's and mostly clear. Anything will beat last weekend's weather.

I heard. It has really cooled down here in Nashville. Real football weather...Mid 60's and an upset is what I am hopin for.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
For whatever it's worth, fall break begins Friday at Duke. Some of the students I know are going home over the long weekend. Others may be planning other travel away from campus.

Game atmosphere can be important.... other fans will have to step up in order to create the sort of atmosphere which is needed at home.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
The fact that I'm getting a VTech banner ad at the top of this thread is not a good sign. . . .

whereinthehellami
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Couple things.

The Hokies are drained big time. 3 huge games to start the season (Alabama, Nebraska, and Miami). Duke should be a letdown game for VT but the Hokies are riding high after their last game and hungry for more, especially on the offense. This group of Hokies is said to have excellent work ethic and chemistry.

The Hokies have been working through some injuries and are hoping to be able to use this game to develop some depth. Duke has some pretty big injuries also but doesn't have the depth that the Hokies have. Duke needs Vince to be pretty darn close to 100%.

The Hokies travel well and have had a good presence at WW the last couple of games. Not a good time for Duke students to be away for a game.

VT should win this game by 20 plus points. But will they come out flat and drained? If they do and Duke gets some TO's and lucky bounces it could be a close game. And if its a close game, you never know.

Wander
09-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Terrible matchup for us (I mean, aside from the fact that they're really good), and I think VT is underrated overall. I might give our offense a 50/50 chance of scoring a touchdown. Our only real shot is to play a game similar to last year's - force lots of turnovers, let our defense win the game somehow. Only good thing, as has been mentioned, is this looks like a classic letdown game for VT.

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2009, 08:42 PM
The odds makers have Duke a 16.5 point underdog, which is decently less than they had us against Kansas. That's a bit interesting, I wonder if they see that Duke matches up better, or do they think we have improved to do better against a higher ranked team than Kansas was when we played them? FWIW, Vegas got the Kansas line correct.

loran16
09-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Desmond Scott has a hamstring injury for this coming week. Sigh. As if our running game couldn't get hurt worse.

Acymetric
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Desmond Scott has a hamstring injury for this coming week. Sigh. As if our running game couldn't get hurt worse.

Well. There's no real word on if its actually worth worrying about. He said he "tweaked it" and that was yesterday, I believe. No word since on whether it would impact the game.

Of course, I don't know how much of an impact our running game would have against VT even if it was totally healthy. If we win this game its on defense and through the air.

whereinthehellami
09-30-2009, 03:04 PM
You have to play to win but Duke is pretty dinged up, this might be a game to let players mend and go after some more realistic wins down the road.

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I understand that Scott practiced today, not at full speed. That being said, as Cutcliffe mentioned, Duke is lucky to be deep at RB. Scott had 100 yards on Saturday, but Kurunwune was right behind him with 93. And as far as I know, he is healthy. If the offensive line sticks well to their assignments like they did last week, regardless of who is running, we will make more progress than our first two games.

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
This is the toughest stretch of building the program back up to a level of excellence. This isn't the time to bail out just because it's difficult.

Exactly! Take advantage of adversity when you are lucky enough to face it. We are very lucky to face the number of ranked teams that we have this year, and win or lose, it will only build experiences that we will rely on down the road.

RainingThrees
09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
I plan to be at the game. Is anyone else going on this board?

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Swing by the Devil's Alley tents and say hi to us brunchgaters. We're easy to spot, our tent says Brunchgate.

Indoor66
10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Swing by the Devil's Alley tents and say hi to us brunchgaters. We're easy to spot, our tent says Brunchgate.

How incredibly sub-tile. :D

DukeDude
10-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but Duke has never beaten Miami, FSU, BC or VT in an ACC football game. Let's use this weekend to start trimming that list. Go Duke!

I will be attending the game, and I have a question. Which general admission ($5) parking lot is the best for tailgating with a grill?

throatybeard
10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but Duke has never beaten Miami, FSU, BC or VT in an ACC football game. Let's use this weekend to start trimming that list. Go Duke!

Duke is 1-3 versus Boston College.

Duke is 1-5 versus Miami. (We beat them the day I was born. There were tornadoes in Durham County)

Duke is a pretty respectable 7-9 against Tech. But the last win came in 1981.

And yes, we are 0-16 versus the Seminoles.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/duke/opponents.php

DukeDude
10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Duke is 1-3 versus Boston College.

Duke is 1-5 versus Miami. (We beat them the day I was born. There were tornadoes in Durham County)

Duke is a pretty respectable 7-9 against Tech. But the last win came in 1981.

And yes, we are 0-16 versus the Seminoles.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/duke/opponents.php

Yup, none of the wins were in ACC conference play. Expansion certainly hasn't been kind to Duke Football. Thanks for the cool link.

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2009, 04:38 PM
From Heather Dinich's blog on ESPN..

Virginia Tech’s first four opponents are a combined 11-0 in games not played against the Hokies: Alabama 3-0 (4-0 overall); Marshall 3-0 (3-1 overall); Nebraska 3-0 (3-1 overall); and Miami 2-0 (2-1 overall). Marshall, Nebraska and Miami all suffered their lone loss to the Hokies, who are ranked sixth in the country in the AP poll with a Sagarin rating of No. 3 and a national strength of schedule ranking of four.

RainingThrees
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM

I might stop by. We really need this win. After the Richmond game Duke needs to beat some superior teams, talent-wise, to earn respect in the ACC.

Duvall
10-01-2009, 05:59 PM
We really need this win.

We do?

It's early, but Virginia Tech appears to be the best team in the league, and easily the best team on Duke's schedule. Duke needs to show that it can consistently beat the midlevel ACC teams; it doesn't *need* to beat top-10 teams at this point.

Winning is, of course, better than losing.

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2009, 06:13 PM
We do?

It's early, but Virginia Tech appears to be the best team in the league, and easily the best team on Duke's schedule. Duke needs to show that it can consistently beat the midlevel ACC teams; it doesn't *need* to beat top-10 teams at this point.

Winning is, of course, better than losing.
I'm with that. What Duke needs most is to show a level of recpectable competiveness. If we keep the game from getting away early and give ourselves a chance to to something special it will open some eyes. We've had these games before; Miami two years ago, VT last year. It would be more than awesome..but we don't NEED to beat VT to make our season a success.

loran16
10-02-2009, 11:49 AM
DUKE

RB Re'quan Boyette (leg) -- Probable
RB Jay Hollingsworth (ankle) -- Probable
OG Mitchell Lederman (leg) -- Probable
DT Vince Oghobaase (leg) -- Probable
OT Jarrod Holt (concussion) -- Questionable
RB Desmond Scott (leg) -- Questionable
RB Kyle Griswould (leg) -- OUT
CB Randez James (hand) -- OUT
WR Tyree Watkins (leg) -- OUT
----------------------------------------------

Oghobasse RETURNS! That's big considering we need him for ACC games.

Personally, I'd keep out Scott and Hollingsworth and play Re'quan and Kurunuwe at RB for this game....no sense chancing Scott with 3 healthy backs, and Hollingsworth to me felt like he may have reinjured himself in the NCCentral case. And no offense to Re'quan, but as a senior, a future injury to him will not affect Duke in the long run, whereas a healthy Jay Hollingsworth will.

whereinthehellami
10-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Here is a blog from Techsideline (http://blog.techsideline.com/?p=1079?PHPSESSID=cb2580c8baef6a1b03745c1a0c5c0557 ) on the Duke game. This guys has a unique stlye of writing, might need a decoder ring, so check your cereal boxes.

Duke of Nashville
10-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Making the trip from Nashville this afternoon with my father! Go Duke!!!!

Highlander
10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
How incredibly sub-tile. :D

Will be there with dad and 5 year old son in tow. We're heading to the varsity day banquet tho, so we will miss brunchgate.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I'll be there tailgating from about 9A on.

For those going to the Iron Duke/Varsity Day gathering, remember that the Devil Walk takes place about 9:45A and is a short distance from where you're going to eat.

During this uphill building process it's very important that we are very visible in supporting the team.

RelativeWays
10-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I'll be going with my dad. I know in both my heart and head that Duke beating VT this year may be too tall of a task so I can't say I'm expecting us to win. I would love to see us play competitive, better than we played against KU. If we kept it within two touchdowns, I can't say I'd be disappointed.

I did allow myself the fantasy for a bit. Imagining what it would be like if Duke did upset VT by some miracle, especially on like a last minute interception or fumble. The thought of being there when it happens..... I think it would be one of the best experiences of my life.

Wander
10-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Anyone care to guess who Kirk Herbstreit put on upset alert? :)

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Will be there with dad and 5 year old son in tow. We're heading to the varsity day banquet tho, so we will miss brunchgate.
We will be there before, during (at least at half time) and after.

SharkD
10-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I'll be there.

SushiChef
10-02-2009, 10:28 PM

I saw that....But then I realized it was Kirk Herbstreit...If it were Dr. Lou I may be a little more encouraged.

killerleft
10-02-2009, 11:07 PM
That signature upset is on the way... let's get it now, Devils!

gep
10-03-2009, 12:21 AM
I'll be going with my dad. I know in both my heart and head that Duke beating VT this year may be too tall of a task so I can't say I'm expecting us to win. I would love to see us play competitive, better than we played against KU. If we kept it within two touchdowns, I can't say I'd be disappointed.

I did allow myself the fantasy for a bit. Imagining what it would be like if Duke did upset VT by some miracle, especially on like a last minute interception or fumble. The thought of being there when it happens..... I think it would be one of the best experiences of my life.

Your post reminded me of "the miracle on ice". Maybe that's another reason to promote going to the Duke football games... you want to say "I WAS THERE" when the miracle happens... :cool: also, kinda like "the shot" even if that wasn't an expected loss, like the "ice" was...:D

throatybeard
10-03-2009, 02:36 AM

Yeah, but they seemed to be mocking us. Even Herbstreit himself couldn't come up with a better reason than the "spring game atmosphere" of our stadium would lull VT to sleep.

I mean, given the last 43 seasons or so, we deserve the mocking, but I don't think this was a major vote of confidence from ESPN.

YourLandlord
10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Anyone got a streaming link for this game? It's up free on espn360, which I dont have...

Kimist
10-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Anyone got a streaming link for this game? It's up free on espn360, which I dont have...

At one time anyone with an "edu" link could view ESPN360 for free.

Also same applies to AT&T/BellSouth subscribers. (At least it worked last season....) There probably are others affiliated.

k

SushiChef
10-03-2009, 10:10 AM
At one time anyone with an "edu" link could view ESPN360 for free.

Also same applies to AT&T/BellSouth subscribers. (At least it worked last season....) There probably are others affiliated.

k

If you have access to Duke via vpn you can watch from home.

roywhite
10-03-2009, 10:41 AM
The College Gameday guys on ESPN have pegged the game as a possible upset. Nice.

JasonEvans
10-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Nil-nil with 9 mins to go in the first. C'mon guys, keep it up ;)

ikiru36
10-03-2009, 12:42 PM
7-7, end of the first quarter. Just wondering, is there a chat channel being used by DBR peeps for the football games? Snrub seemed empty at the moment. Just wondering.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ikiru36
10-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Who'd have guessed V Tech would pull so much dirty stuff this early in the game (chop block, multiple blocks in the back on special teams)? :rolleyes:

You'd think that given their size and overall skill advantage they'd be able to play reasonably clean. Guess not.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SilkyJ
10-03-2009, 01:06 PM
holy crap what a play. i hope this gets overturned. leon definitely caught that

SilkyJ
10-03-2009, 01:08 PM
dang nabbit

throatybeard
10-03-2009, 01:09 PM
It's very hard to see this well on 360, but to me it looks like

a) Wright still has the ball when he's down.

and

b) Boykin's butt is out of bounds by the time he wrestles the ball away from Wright.

JasonEvans
10-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Someone is going to explain to me why we did not use Desmond Scott until late in the first half, right? I mean, there has got to be a good reason.

Rushers not named Desmond Scott - 9 carries, -1 yards
Rushers named Desmond Scott - 4 carries, 32 yards

Oh, and he has also caught 2 passes for 23 yards so far.

--Jason "I hate to jump all over an unproven freshman's bandwagon... but PLAY HIM!!!" Evans

JasonEvans
10-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Someone is going to explain to me why we did not use Desmond Scott until late in the first half, right? I mean, there has got to be a good reason.

--Jason "I hate to jump all over an unproven freshman's bandwagon... but PLAY HIM!!!" Evans

So, we got down inside the VT 20 and they took Scott out. Boyette and Kurunwune promptly rushed the ball twice for a grand total of negative 1 yards and so we had to settle for a field goal.

I just hope we keep Scott safe on the bench for the 2nd half. We need to save him for practice. Don't waste him in games!

--Jason "17-10 at the half-- we are in this sucker!!" Evans

SilkyJ
10-03-2009, 01:27 PM
It's very hard to see this well on 360, but to me it looks like

a) Wright still has the ball when he's down.

and

b) Boykin's butt is out of bounds by the time he wrestles the ball away from Wright.

I think that what they are ruling is that tie goes to the receiver and while Wright clearly had "more possesion," boykin had 2 hands on the football as well making it a tie...even if it wasn't an "even" tie...which I guess doesn't make it a tie...ugh

For serious. Running into our own guy on 3rd and 1...

Still, if not for the immaculate tie-ception we're tied 10-10 with VA tech at half. i think we'd all take that.

mph
10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I think that what they are ruling is that tie goes to the receiver and while Wright clearly had "more possesion," boykin had 2 hands on the football as well making it a tie...even if it wasn't an "even" tie...which I guess doesn't make it a tie...ugh

I'm confused about the rule. Last week at the end of the Michigan v. Indiana game there was a play involving dual possession and they ruled it an interception. The interception was upheld on review even though the replay clearly showed the Indiana receiver had both hands on the ball. Does a tie always go to the receiver?

Greg_Newton
10-03-2009, 02:38 PM
47-yard field goal attempt... GOOD? Am I reading my gamecast correctly??? :eek:

sandinmyshoes
10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
This doesn't look like it's going to be a win for us, but it has been encouraging on several levels. And I've been checking on the UNC game from time to time, and I believe we can not only beat them, but perhaps should beat them. That's a long way from where I was at the beginning of the season.

arnie
10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
47-yard field goal attempt... GOOD? Am I reading my gamecast correctly??? :eek:

This guy can kick! How about them heels!

concrete
10-03-2009, 03:11 PM
well good game, Thad and Team played great against the #6 opponent (unless you're on the TDD board, then he played like crap).

loran16
10-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Amusing moments in Snrubchat:
<Chatter #1> You can't win this game if you can't stop a 3rd and 34.
Virginia Tech promptly throws a deep ball for the first down

VTech is up by 4 while having the ball in their own territory, unable to run all game.
<Chatter #2> We need a turnover
Vtech starts to be able to run and scores a TD

<Chatter #3> Well at least we lost by <14 Points
VTech Scores a TD to go up 15

<Me> Well why not say we'll beat the spread?
Vtech appears to intercept thad for a touchdown
================================
Sadly, this was ruined by the refs nicely reversing the interception.

Greg_Newton
10-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Nice to see them get that last touchdown. Probably doesn't mean much, but it's gotta be a big mental boost to be able to say you played VT to a 1 possession game.

Richard Berg
10-03-2009, 03:32 PM
How can it take so long to review the incomplete pass? Even if they hadn't found the reverse angle shot, leaving them just with that blurry quickly-panning main camera, are you not allowed to cite the laws of physics? A hard-thrown football does not undergo a 90-degree change of direction when it grazes soft fingertips.

loran16
10-03-2009, 04:09 PM
A Couple of Thoughts:

1. We should win of 2 of the next 4 (NC State, Maryland AT HOME, UVa, UNC). I don't care that MD and UVA both won today, both are not very good teams and UNC is very beatable.

2. Our Secondary is awful. We have (if i have this right) at least 2, i think 3 CBs redshirting this year. Which is good because Leon Wright and Chris Rwabukamba are just not getting the job done. Our Defensive Line is quite solid when VO plays, but remember, VO is LEAVING after this year, and Duke really isn't going to find anyone to replace him (Though i'd love it if a 5 star DT would like to commit to Duke. Please, come and do so. You'll be welcome!)

3. We need to start having less conservative playcalling.
1. We should pass 50-60% of the time on 1st down. We run so often its way too easily stuffed by expecting defenses.
2. We need to kick Re'quan to the curb and make Desmond Scott the starter. I understand Scott was probably under a touch limit due to injury today, but still...no need to stay with the inferior Senior.
3. No Punting once we have 4th and less than 3 inside opponent's territory. If we were a better team and could pin our opponent's inside their 10, this'd be fine. But really we suck at punting like this. We need extra possessions to win against better teams. GO FOR IT.

DukeSean
10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Amusing moments in Snrubchat:
<Chatter #3> Well at least we lost by <14 Points
VTech Scores a TD to go up 15

That is not exactly what I said. I said I'd be happy with <14 point loss.

Besides, did I not say we'd score a TD before the game was up to bring it within the 14 points?

PumpkinFunk
10-03-2009, 04:35 PM
I think we should easily win 2 of the next 4, since all 4 are possible if we play this well every week. Yes, we have issues - our secondary and running game especially - but we're no worse than most of our conference, especially the next 4 we play and the final one in-conference (NC State, Maryland, UVA, Tarholes, and Wake). Are we going to beat Miami or GTech? No, probably not. But the other ACC games are all possible wins.

loran16
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM
That is not exactly what I said. I said I'd be happy with <14 point loss.

Besides, did I not say we'd score a TD before the game was up to bring it within the 14 points?

You do win, good sir! I apologize for the paraphrase. I didnt use actual names cuz i wasn't sure I'd quoted completely corrected, but the point is still funny.

DukeSean
10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
You do win, good sir! I apologize for the paraphrase. I didnt use actual names cuz i wasn't sure I'd quoted completely corrected, but the point is still funny.

I will admit it was quite ironic, considering neither of us believes in jinxes....or do we....?

Farlan
10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
This guy can kick! How about them heels!

Give that man a football scholarship!

RelativeWays
10-03-2009, 05:05 PM
I was at the game and even though we came up short it was a lot more fun than the Richmond game. Here are my observations.

1. We NEED to work on the redzone offense, We traded a lot of 6's for 3s today that had we made them, we could have won the game.

2. Run defense looked alright, we held them to 47 yards rushing at halftime. They were able to open it up a bit in the 4th quarter, but the defense was tired on that last scoring drive by Tech.

3. The secondary isn't completely terrible but still got burned on 3rd and long plays that no other team would have given up. The 3rd and 34 is inexcusable. I think it was Leon Wright that just kind of froze in the middle of the field. Had he broke on that ball, he could have picked it off or at least broken it up. That led to 3 points that VT shouldn't have scored. There were a couple of other big 3rd down conversions they had were we had coverage, but couldn't get a hand in to break it up.

4. The running game with Scott is night and day than compared with anyone else. Even when he only got a couple of yards, you could tell the VT defense respected his ability. Boyette....not so much. That scoring drive in the second quarter where we came away with a field goal should have had Scott in the backfield. He's obviously not 100% since he played sporatically. If we get a line that can block, WATCH OUT!!!!

5. Thad and the line were better today, better decisions, few stupid sideline passes. Thad is still overthrowning a bit too high and missed some open guys. Overall, he played good today.

We need to build on this game and get a couple of wins. VT may have been looking ahead, but it doesn't matter. This team believed they could win and you could feel it on the field. I never once felt it from the team in the Richmond game. We would have beaten Richmond today, by 14+

Devilsfan
10-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Thoughts from the fourty.
The secondary got burnt several times. Their qb was 17-22 and had way too many long completions. Scott is a running back with instincts. The others if they were told to run over tackle they behaved and ran over tackle. Scott on the other hand, I saw that if his hole was plugged he would instinctively bounce it outside. Nice to see a very good football player in the backfield wearing Duke blue. #2 and #26 looked very good at times I thought. And finaaly #3 played up to the hype we have given him. What went through my mind is that if Cut and his staff had the talent of '04 we would have won 7 or 8 games that year. I truely believe his cubboard while not bare has lots of room for groceries. If they recruit well we will win lots of games. They can coach! I see what they have done with what Ted left them and I'm impressed.

Kewlswim
10-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi,

Duke played with VA Tech, I mean we PLAYED with them. It was not all one sided and the team seems to have some chemistry. The Devils (football version) are making nice strides. Sure, a win would be better, but I can't say I am unhappy with this. We are heading in the right direction. Over the last ten years there were few times I felt this positively about the team.

Baby, yet real steps. Ladies and Gentlemen the Blue Devils have nothing to be ashamed of today.

GO DUKE!

Acymetric
10-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Ok, I thoroughly enjoyed this game until the end, which was disappointing.

That said, I have two questions. Unless they were legitimately concerned about his injury, why didn't Dez get about twice as many carries as he did, and some passes his way too?

Second, To our OC Roper: I don't think we have EVER gained more than half a yard with Boyette running up the middle. Personally I think his role needs to be reduced drastically. Split his carries between Dez and Jay (when he returns). If he absolutely must play, do something besides run up the middle. None of our backs are particularly successful doing it, but Boyette is probably the worst. I love his passion, especially when he was out last year but still out there firing up the team, but he just doesn't have it. Or he's too injured and needs to sit for that reason.

Of course, our RBs and QBs get little help from the fact that on a ridiculously high number of our possesions, we will run on 1st and 2nd, gain little to no yardage, and then force Thad into a 3rd and long situation. Other teams pick up on the constant running, and can really come after it when they know we have to pass on 3rd and long. The few times that we break the mold and pass on 1st or 2nd down, good things happen...do it more!

Enough about the offensive playcalling though, I think we have a good shot at 5 of our remaining games, and chance in the other 2 (GT and Miami). VO had a great game, and Vernon is going to be an absolute stud for us!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I was at the game and even though we came up short it was a lot more fun than the Richmond game. Here are my observations.

1. We NEED to work on the redzone offense, We traded a lot of 6's for 3s today that had we made them, we could have won the game.

2. Run defense looked alright, we held them to 47 yards rushing at halftime. They were able to open it up a bit in the 4th quarter, but the defense was tired on that last scoring drive by Tech.

3. The secondary isn't completely terrible but still got burned on 3rd and long plays that no other team would have given up. The 3rd and 34 is inexcusable. I think it was Leon Wright that just kind of froze in the middle of the field. Had he broke on that ball, he could have picked it off or at least broken it up. That led to 3 points that VT shouldn't have scored. There were a couple of other big 3rd down conversions they had were we had coverage, but couldn't get a hand in to break it up.
The problem with our secondary and VT's long completions, especially the 3rd and 34, is that Leon Wright was giving up about 8" of height to the receiver he was covering and the QB made several perfect throws and the receiver made nice catches while fairly well covered by Wright. Wright was just plain old giving up too much physically to cover his man. Cutcliffe mentioned this last week during an interview - that it was going to be a problem but that Leon was player enough to be up to the challenge. Well, almost. I'm willing to cut Leon Wright some slack - overall, he played pretty well. And for what it's worth, which isn't much, when we accepted the holding call to make it 3rd and 34, and declined the concurrent dead ball roughing (?) penalty which I think would have made it 4th down (and 20?) forcing them to punt, I said to those around me that was a bad decision. And I was right.

4. The running game with Scott is night and day than compared with anyone else. Even when he only got a couple of yards, you could tell the VT defense respected his ability. Boyette....not so much. That scoring drive in the second quarter where we came away with a field goal should have had Scott in the backfield. He's obviously not 100% since he played sporatically. If we get a line that can block, WATCH OUT!!!!

5. Thad and the line were better today, better decisions, few stupid sideline passes. Thad is still overthrowning a bit too high and missed some open guys. Overall, he played good today.

We need to build on this game and get a couple of wins. VT may have been looking ahead, but it doesn't matter. This team believed they could win and you could feel it on the field. I never once felt it from the team in the Richmond game. We would have beaten Richmond today, by 14+
Desmond Scott is the best running back we have. He got through holes that Boyette didn't/doesn't. Be it quickness or instinct or both, he needs to be our featured back. As for Thad Lewis, Cutcliffe commented in the post game radio interview that Thad is just getting back his form after having a very rough/shortened training camp (he missed time from both a sprained ankle suffered on the first day of practice and then H1N1). He's getting his timing back, but he still has a way to go to be the QB knows he can be, and I believe that Cutcliffe knows a thing or two about quarterbacks :). I do wish that Renfree had gotten a series or two in the 2nd quarter, just for his experience and a change of pace for VT's defense.

Hi,

Duke played with VA Tech, I mean we PLAYED with them. It was not all one sided and the team seems to have some chemistry. The Devils (football version) are making nice strides. Sure, a win would be better, but I can't say I am unhappy with this. We are heading in the right direction. Over the last ten years there were few times I felt this positively about the team.

Baby, yet real steps. Ladies and Gentlemen the Blue Devils have nothing to be ashamed of today.

GO DUKE!
Kewlswim, your right! We played with VT. Huge progress. Talking to some of the players after the game as they walked back to campus (past Blue Devil Alley/Card Gym lot) they were a determined bunch, glad they played well, disappointed they lost, and looking forward to beating State next week - just about the perfect attitude for a team on the rise!

The next four games are certainly winnable. I wouldn't have wanted to be a player in the carolina locker room after their game. Oh, wait, I would have liked to be a Fly on the Wall! They certainly thought they were a good team. I hope they have serious doubts about themselves now. carolina's practice next week is going to be a b*tch. :cool:

BattierD12
10-03-2009, 08:13 PM
A few friends and I were at the game and we are still left in the dark regarding a certain play. It was the 3rd and 24 for VTech, and they got like 12 yards on the carry but were flagged for both holding and a personal foul iirc. We declined just one of those penalties and allowed them to go 3rd and 34, and we all know what happened next. Why didn't we just decline both, have them punt at 4th and 12 and only get marginally worse field position? Is there some rule that prevents us from declining multiple penalties??

Bob Green
10-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Is there some rule that prevents us from declining multiple penalties??

There is no rule preventing us from declining multiple penalties. Coach Cutcliffe could only accept one of the penalties and he went with the one that backed VT up the most (holding) in order to gain a field position advantage. Unfortunately, VT converted on 3rd and 34.

Utilizing 20/20 hindsight, taking the dead ball personal foul, which would have resulted in 4th and 20, would have been a better decision.

Duvall
10-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Utilizing 20/20 hindsight, taking the dead ball personal foul, which would have resulted in 4th and 20, would have been a better decision.

I don't think it requires hindsight to question that call. Is there any plausible argument under which 3rd and 34 is better than 4th and 20?

Bob Green
10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't think it requires hindsight to question that call. Is there any plausible argument under which 3rd and 34 is better than 4th and 20?

I'm giving the staff the benefit of the doubt because they have forgotten more about football than I will ever know. For the life of me, I cannot understand why we didn't go with 4th and 20.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-03-2009, 08:41 PM
And for what it's worth, which isn't much, when we accepted the holding call to make it 3rd and 34, and declined the concurrent dead ball roughing (?) penalty which I think would have made it 4th down (and 20?) forcing them to punt, I said to those around me that was a bad decision. And I was right.

A few friends and I were at the game and we are still left in the dark regarding a certain play. It was the 3rd and 24 for VTech, and they got like 12 yards on the carry but were flagged for both holding and a personal foul iirc. We declined just one of those penalties and allowed them to go 3rd and 34, and we all know what happened next. Why didn't we just decline both, have them punt at 4th and 12 and only get marginally worse field position? Is there some rule that prevents us from declining multiple penalties??

There is no rule preventing us from declining multiple penalties. Coach Cutcliffe could only accept one of the penalties and he went with the one that backed VT up the most (holding) in order to gain a field position advantage. Unfortunately, VT converted on 3rd and 34.

I believe I covered that above :cool:

Bob Green - we're looking forward to meeting you at the Brunchgate on 10/24!

Bob Green
10-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I believe I covered that above :cool:

Bob Green - we're looking forward to meeting you at the Brunchgate on 10/24!

I'm really excited about that day as well. I haven't been to a Duke game in a long time. Plus, I get to meet all my Internet friends.

chrishoke
10-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Bob, I'm really glad you are getting to come to a game - that's awesome.

By the way, I think it would have been 4th and 9 vs. 3rd and 34.

Bob Green
10-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Bob, I'm really glad you are getting to come to a game - that's awesome.

By the way, I think it would have been 4th and 9 vs. 3rd and 34.

Thanks! And 4th and 9 makes the decision make more sense.

jimsumner
10-03-2009, 09:27 PM
"For the life of me, I cannot understand why we didn't go with 4th and 20. "

Cut said after the game that he didn't want VT to punt Duke in a hole; flip the field was his term. He said that he would take 3rd and 34 anytime and would make the same decision the next time.

FWIW.

devildeac
10-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm a bit puzzled. If it was a dead ball PF, wouldn't that have been assessed after the end of the play, making it 4th and 20-something instead of 4th and 9 or 10?

OZZIE4DUKE
10-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks! And 4th and 9 makes the decision make more sense.
Not unless they would have 'gone for it' on their side of the field.

allenmurray
10-03-2009, 10:20 PM

I was sitting next to a Va Tech fan (a really nice guy). The moment Cutcliffe made that decision I turned to him and said - "You guys are going to gain 40+ yards on the next play. He said, "you're right - that was a crazy decision". AFter the next play we loooked at each other and both shook our heads.

verga
10-03-2009, 11:49 PM
i have season tickets, i support the football team, i have done so in the past and will continue to do so in the future. Now to the OTHER points, when will we consistently throw the ball down the field? If i see one more flat pass well i hope i don't. Our defensive secondary needs to go to the bench as a group, surely (i know, don't call me Shirley) they must have other bodies that can stand still and allow the other team to catch the ball. To me, our troubles start with the offensive line, we cannot block for the run and our pass blocking isn't much better. I will now stop with the negative stuff, you need a little of that (negative) from time to time, Desmond Scott has the looks of a player, i hope his injury is not serious. If you don't think he means the world to our offense, go to the situation where we were driving the ball and once we got inside the 25, they took him out and well, you know what happened. We may beat Maryland here but i'd be surprised and happy if we won another ACC game. I'm not sure what it will take to turn this misery around but i'm hoping we find the cure.

killerleft
10-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Great effort today. We weren't intimidated. I'd say Coach Cut has our team pointed in the right direction.

I don't understand the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about play calling. Coach Cut did what was needed to give Duke a chance to win against VT. The game plan was to play it conservative on offense and minimize mistakes. If not for the disputed touchdown that could have obviously been called the other way, this was an overtime game.

We have the players to compete with VT now on first string, can't wait for Cut to build up the depth we need to keep us fresher for that last quarter.

Our improvement probably won't be without its fits and starts, but color this longtime Duke Football fan impressed. Y'all come on out and support the team, better times are on the way.

I need to add (because I have criticized him in the past) that Thad Lewis had a very good day. If he can continue to be accurate and take a bit off those shorter passes as he did today we can have some real success.

Our team is not without flaws. But, man, we are getting better.

CameronBornAndBred
10-04-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm giving the staff the benefit of the doubt because they have forgotten more about football than I will ever know. For the life of me, I cannot understand why we didn't go with 4th and 20.
I was arguing that with those next to me as well, before they converted. VT had consistently shown that they could convert on 3rd and long, no matter how long. That was a huge play in the game and we gave it to them.
There were a few other calls from the sidelines I wasn't thrilled with, but overall as several have noted, we saw some real progress today. For those predicting wins in the near future, I'd like to agree but I can't. I think we have the ability to win the ones coming up, but this season so far has proven parity reigns in the ACC. I listened to the Wake-State game on the way back and it was a classic example. A prediction I can stand behind is that all of our future games will be closely fought, win or lose. Our team is making football fun to watch. (Frustating at times too, but fun)

Bostondevil
10-04-2009, 09:01 AM
In the Duke - VT highlights on ESPN, Duke was referred to as 'The Fighting Cutcliffes'. I just found that amusing.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-04-2009, 09:26 AM
In the Duke - VT highlights on ESPN, Duke was referred to as 'The Fighting Cutcliffes'. I just found that amusing.
I missed that phrase last night when I saw the highlights, but it was after 1 a.m. and I turned off the TV when they finished showing us. Since there were no fisticuffs in the game, I like the attitude the phrase expresses!

CameronBornAndBred
10-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Since there were no fisticuffs in the game, I like the attitude the phrase expresses!
Unfortunately there were some in the stands. I don't know the nature of it, but security/police had to be called due to a fight in the stands a few rows down from us.

RelativeWays
10-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately there were some in the stands. I don't know the nature of it, but security/police had to be called due to a fight in the stands a few rows down from us.

Thats surprising to hear. We were surrounded by VT fans in our section in general admission, they were a good bunch, really nice and respectful.

DownEastDevil
10-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Intoxicated Duke fans (seemed to be there just to start trouble) harassing the VT fans all around them. My granddaughter was on the first row against the rail when the brawl occurred about 5 feet from her. I had to run down and pull her away before they fell on top of her. I was so mad I could've thrown the guy over the rail myself.

jimsumner
10-04-2009, 11:30 AM
One would hope that one of the few advanatges of a Noon kickoff would be a reduction of drunk fans. Guess not.

As a non-drinker, let me ask how early would one would have to start drinking in order to be intoxicated before Noon? It seems like the heavy drinkers wouldn't be able to get up that early.

But I admit, I know nothing about the drinking culture. But being drunk in the morning just seems creepy.

CameronBornAndBred
10-04-2009, 11:36 AM
One would hope that one of the few advanatges of a Noon kickoff would be a reduction of drunk fans. Guess not.

As a non-drinker, let me ask how early would one would have to start drinking in order to be intoxicated before Noon? It seems like the heavy drinkers wouldn't be able to get up that early.

But I admit, I know nothing about the drinking culture. But being drunk in the morning just seems creepy.
There is a difference in drinking in company and drinking to be drunk. The Brunchgaters enjoyed bloody marys, mimosas, and select beers along with a pretty heavy meal. None of us went into the game drunk. You do raise a good point about the earlier game hopefully being a deterrant to the excessive drinking. Unfortunately it appears it didn't apply to everyone.

throatybeard
10-04-2009, 12:13 PM

The last time I was at LSU, I saw the drunkest human beings I've ever seen who were still capable of something like bipedal motion. This was for one of those awful 11:30am Raycom games designed to induce heat stroke. We got there at like 10:30. I couldn't figure out whether they had gotten up at 4:00, or if they'd been up all night drinking.

Of course, just as it's generally agreed one shouldn't drink before noon, I don't think football should be played in the South before 3:30.

Johnboy
10-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Jim, if they were drinking to get drunk, they could accomplish that goal within 15-20 minutes. Starting to drink as late as 11:00am for a noon game would give drunks plenty of time. BTW, being drunk for a noon football game doesn't imply that the person is a heavy drinker who is unable to get up early, or even that the person started drinking with the specific mission of getting drunk. The first thing alcohol affects is inhibition, so people, especially inexperienced drinkers, may find themselves easily persuaded to get drunk when in a group. In the case of Duke tailgating, however, it seems that many of the students set out to get drunk.

killerleft
10-04-2009, 09:25 PM
So the Roanoke.com's headline reads "No. 6 Hokies sloppy in 34-26 win over Duke".

I've seen sloppy wins over Duke, and this wasn't one of them. Our guys fought them in the trenches and could have won this game. Hopefully, we'll get credit for how well we play soon. Until we win a few games as underdogs, our guys will have to hear such tripe.

Go Duke!

sagegrouse
10-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Jim:

You are partly right in the following sense:

The drunkest and most obnoxious fans on earth are at the 9PM ET kickoffs for Monday Night Football or start times for baseball playoffs. What do guys do with three hours to kill between work and kickoff time or first pitch? They get stinking drunk, often without that being the intent.

I was at a World series game with young children under these circumstances. The crowd was so obscene and rowdy the ushers and security didn't even attempt to control behavior.

Pro football is doing better now that ESPN and NBC are startin the night games at earlier times. I think MLB is hopeless, although I am not tracking starting times as closely now that I am living in the West.

sagegrouse

fan345678
10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
So the Roanoke.com's headline reads "No. 6 Hokies sloppy in 34-26 win over Duke".

I've seen sloppy wins over Duke, and this wasn't one of them. Our guys fought them in the trenches and could have won this game. Hopefully, we'll get credit for how well we play soon. Until we win a few games as underdogs, our guys will have to hear such tripe.

Go Duke!

12 penalties and numerous breakdowns in coverage (committing basic mental mistakes when there's a very good QB across the line who will jump on them every time) is pretty sloppy

There was nothing sloppy about the quality of the Duke run defense in the first three quarters, though

RelativeWays
10-04-2009, 11:42 PM
12 penalties and numerous breakdowns in coverage (committing basic mental mistakes when there's a very good QB across the line who will jump on them every time) is pretty sloppy

There was nothing sloppy about the quality of the Duke run defense in the first three quarters, though

Sloppy play usually indicates a game rife with turnovers and bumbling offensive possessions, terrible special team execution. Neither Duke nor Va Tech turned the ball over much (one fumble each I believe) both teams executed pretty well in special teams outside of two Duke kickoffs that bounced out of bounds, both teams did well in the passing game, had a harder time running, and both secondaries gave up some big plays. The Richmond game was sloppy (and boring). The Va Tech game really was not sloppy. Va Tech fans may want to insist the game was close because they played badly, but thats not true at all. Taylor had one of his best days ever. They might have been uninspired perhaps, but not sloppy.

whereinthehellami
10-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't think VT win in danger of losing this game (unlike last year). It looked to me like they were going to do what was necessary to win.

The Hokies travel well. It did not look like or sound like a home game for Duke on TV.

Coach Cut is a good coach and the type of Coach that will give Beamer problems. Beamer plays the game conservatively, letting the other team beat themselves. Beamer does well against the Miami's and Butch Davis's of the world. He struggles against coaches who make good in game adjustments and have good discipline.

killerleft
10-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't think VT win in danger of losing this game (unlike last year). It looked to me like they were going to do what was necessary to win.

The Hokies travel well. It did not look like or sound like a home game for Duke on TV.

Coach Cut is a good coach and the type of Coach that will give Beamer problems. Beamer plays the game conservatively, letting the other team beat themselves. Beamer does well against the Miami's and Butch Davis's of the world. He struggles against coaches who make good in game adjustments and have good discipline.

As I mentioned earlier, take away the very close call on the interception/td- catch play and Duke may have won this game. Even then, the 62(?)-yard pass play for a first down by VT may have been the most important play of the game. This game wasn't secured by VT until they recovered the onside kick with less than a minute left, regardless.

Mistakes were made by both teams, but I just don't consider the game "sloppy" by any standard. It was a hard-fought college game.

I DO agree that Coach Cut's strategy of being conservative against a conservative coach helped Duke. But VT had to abandon the conservative approach for most of the game because Duke played well against the run. I believe that only the lack of a pass rush stood between Duke and a big upset.

I can't wait for the day when our rapidly improving defense can consistently pressure the quarterback. That and run blocking are our major Achilles' Feet right now (Dukies of fine character should never be mentioned with Heels).:D

watzone
10-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Just posted audio clips with Austin Kelly and Vince Oghobasse http://bluedevilnation.net/ Cutclifee call in from yesterday coming as well.

Duke opens as a 16 point dog to NCSU. Conner Vernon 4th in the league for passing yds per game in ACC.

CBDUKE
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM

I beg to differ on point 1. I was there and the feeling among the Tech people seated around me was concern and I think their team played that way.
Also on point 2. I don't know where the microphones were placed for TV, but the Duke crowd was large and loud. There were quite a few times during the game when the Tech fans were quiet. Stunned might be the appropiate word for them. Point 3 I agree completely.

CameronBornAndBred
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Duke opens as a 16 point dog to NCSU.
Wow, that's what they gave us versus VT.

Susan
10-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Go Duke!

I agree. It was written up the same way in the Washington Post ( one headline on the web version of the article said "Virginia Tech Sleepwalks to Win over Duke"), and it irritated me. At least Beamer gave us some credit in his quote in the article. Hopefully we'll beat Maryland and earn a little more respect in the subsequent Post article...

Wander
10-05-2009, 12:24 PM

I feel the opposite way. I never felt we had a chance in the game last year, even when it was 7-3 in the 4th quarter. Just knew every drive was going to turn out: Asack rush, Asack rush, Asack misses a wide open receiver 4 yards away, punt. There was never any hope for getting more points to me, unless our defense scooped up a fumble and ran it back.

On the other hand, this year we had parts of our team legitimately play very well (not just VT making mistakes, and not just "very well for Duke"). Most notably I'm talking about the D-line, Lewis, and Scott. Just turned out that our secondary wasn't anywhere near as good as they needed to be.

whereinthehellami
10-05-2009, 01:36 PM
That was the least emotional I have seen a Hokies team play this year. Playing 3 emotional games (Alabama, Nebraska, & Miami) to start the season might have something to do with it but I just didn't get the feeling that the VT players were that worried. They had some backups in on defense at the end (Friday & Brown at DE). I think they knew that Duke was spent and that their depth was going to finish the day. Williams and Oglesby were both really getting going as the game wore on.

Duke has some talent but its spotty and their depth is still a couple of years away from not hurting them at the end of the game.

killerleft
10-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I feel the opposite way. I never felt we had a chance in the game last year, even when it was 7-3 in the 4th quarter. Just knew every drive was going to turn out: Asack rush, Asack rush, Asack misses a wide open receiver 4 yards away, punt. There was never any hope for getting more points to me, unless our defense scooped up a fumble and ran it back.

On the other hand, this year we had parts of our team legitimately play very well (not just VT making mistakes, and not just "very well for Duke"). Most notably I'm talking about the D-line, Lewis, and Scott. Just turned out that our secondary wasn't anywhere near as good as they needed to be.

Our secondary certainly has played better. But more pressure on their QB would have made a difference, I think.

DU82
10-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I beg to differ on point 1. I was there and the feeling among the Tech people seated around me was concern and I think their team played that way.
Also on point 2. I don't know where the microphones were placed for TV, but the Duke crowd was large and loud. There were quite a few times during the game when the Tech fans were quiet. Stunned might be the appropiate word for them. Point 3 I agree completely.

I think a big difference on TV is the school color(s). A red (NCState) or maroon (VT) are not "normal" clothes, so they tend to stand out more than a blue (either color in fact.) Also, I believe the main cameras are in the press box, so that the view of the field in WW shows the visitor's fans more. VT filled up sections 1-4, as usual, but I felt there were far less scattered around the other sections than two years ago. It was not a VT majority.

Another factor regarding fan cheering was that the students were mostly away (for fall break moreso than tailgating.)