PDA

View Full Version : Monta won't play with Steph

Jim3k
09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
As or being Duke related, this post is subject to some doubt. But Steph is Seth's older brother, so there is some, tenuous, connection.

Anyway this link from the SF Chron is a very short story about Monta Ellis' not thinking he can be on the court at the same time as Steph. It also suggests that he is having issues with the coaching staff on the point.

Ellis: I can't play with Curry (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?entry_id=48517&tsp=1)

Maybe Ellis is trying to force a trade?

jesus_hurley
09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Nice. Way to be a team player.

"I can't envision that," Ellis said. "Us together, no. I can't. I just can't. I just can't."

I think he might be in denial

speedevil2001
09-28-2009, 09:37 PM
As or being Duke related, this post is subject to some doubt. But Steph is Seth's older brother, so there is some, tenuous, connection.

Anyway this link from the SF Chron is a very short story about Monta Ellis' not thinking he can be on the court at the same time as Steph. It also suggests that he is having issues with the coaching staff on the point.

Ellis: I can't play with Curry (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?entry_id=48517&tsp=1)

Maybe Ellis is trying to force a trade?

well he has a point. and ellis is probably trying to force the warriors to trade curry.

both of them are undersize shooting guards and neither one can run the point, so playing them at the same time just wont work, not to mention the defensive liabilities.
i dont blame ellis or curry, what was the warriors thinking when they drafted curry? they better hurry and trade curry before his value drops.

ellis is a proven nba scorer that uses his speed to blow by taller defenders.
curry is a scorer that uses his craftyness to create room to shoot over taller defenders.

ill take ellis on a nba team, he reminds me of iverson.
but give me curry for a college team.

slower
09-28-2009, 09:40 PM
well he has a point. and ellis is probably trying to force the warriors to trade curry.

both of them are undersize shooting guards and neither one can run the point, so playing them at the same time just wont work, not to mention the defensive liabilities.
i dont blame ellis or curry, what was the warriors thinking when they drafted curry? they better hurry and trade curry before his value drops.

ellis is a proven nba scorer that uses his speed to blow by taller defenders.
curry is a scorer that uses his craftyness to create room to shoot over taller defenders.

ill take ellis on a nba team, he reminds me of iverson.
but give me curry for a college team.

Curry to Minn. for the right to Rubio.

Yeah, I know there's more to it than that, but still...

BD80
09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
... but give me curry for a college team.

Wish granted

Aditya
09-28-2009, 11:39 PM
it could work. monta gets points from driving, curry gets points from shooting. i think he's overreacting

COYS
09-28-2009, 11:55 PM
it could work. monta gets points from driving, curry gets points from shooting. i think he's overreacting

It's the warriors . . . Nelson would at least try to play 5 guards who are all 6-6 or under if he could get away with it.

stickdog
09-29-2009, 03:35 AM
Does it really matter if Ellis has a point?

Ellis was just named captain of his team, and his first leadership move as captain was to welcome his team's highly celebrated top 10 draft pick--a player Ellis has never once to date played with or even so much as talked to--by saying that his team could not possibly win if he and his team's celebrated new first round draft choice ever shared time on the floor.

Ellis for the USA Olympic squad in 2012 or 2016, anyone?

If you think I am being unfair to Ellis, read the whole transcript here (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/09/28/monta-ellis-on-pairing-with-stephen-curry-we-cant-not-going-to-win-that-way/#more-5685).

brevity
09-29-2009, 04:54 AM
Related topic: how well have the Warriors sold tickets?

Drafting Stephen Curry always seemed like a box office move to me. If you can't win consistently, at least keep locals in the seats. And of the lottery players drafted from college, Curry has the most star power.

Bear in mind that the Knicks wanted him as well, presumably to coexist with an even more undersized scoring guard, Nate Robinson.

theAlaskanBear
09-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Related topic: how well have the Warriors sold tickets?

Drafting Stephen Curry always seemed like a box office move to me. If you can't win consistently, at least keep locals in the seats. And of the lottery players drafted from college, Curry has the most star power.

Bear in mind that the Knicks wanted him as well, presumably to coexist with an even more undersized scoring guard, Nate Robinson.

If the Knicks had picked up Curry, Nate Robinson would have been jettisoned eventually. If not this year, then next. The Knicks saw an all around better SG than Nate, who has connections to LeBron James...they did not want Curry to "coexist" with Robinson, but replace him in a years time.

I dont like Monta Ellis, but I understand he is just protecting his turf. Stupid way to do it, but Steph was indeed an odd choice for Golden State.

stickdog
09-29-2009, 11:21 AM
If the Knicks had picked up Curry, Nate Robinson would have been jettisoned eventually. If not this year, then next. The Knicks saw an all around better SG than Nate, who has connections to LeBron James...they did not want Curry to "coexist" with Robinson, but replace him in a years time.

I dont like Monta Ellis, but I understand he is just protecting his turf. Stupid way to do it, but Steph was indeed an odd choice for Golden State.

Why was Curry fine for the Knicks, but odd for the Warriors? Ellis signed a $55 million contract, then promptly got on a moped and trashed his ankle and the Warriors' next season. Then he lied about what happened. (And may still be lying. Moped?)

Couldn't the exact same argument you advanced about the Knicks' thinking about Robinson apply to the Warriors' thinking about Ellis? And wasn't Curry the better available prospect than Jordan Hill? Since when is Golden State good enough to pass up the best available player on draft day?

Finally, since when do captains welcome their new rookies by "protecting their turf" against them? When was the last time a professional athlete told the press that his team had no chance to win if his coach ever paired him up with another player on the roster? Consider what K would do to any Duke player who pulled a stunt like that.