PDA

View Full Version : What will Gary do?

jesus_hurley
09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
WWGD?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/d1scourse/2009/sep/28/terp-freshman-jordan-williams-arrested/

Maryland freshman forward Jordan Williams turned himself into police in his hometown Saturday on two charges stemming from an incident last month.

Williams is charged with breach of peace and third-degree assault in Torrington, Conn.

FireOgilvie
09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm surprised he was recognized. There are a lot of 6'10" 260 lb. guys running around Torrington, CT. :D

I don't think "breach of peace" and 3rd degree assault will get him kicked off the team, but I don't know the nature of the crime. From another article, it sounds like he was in a group of 5 teens that were charged.

jesus_hurley
09-28-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm surprised he was recognized. There are a lot of 6'10" 260 lb. guys running around Torrington, CT. :D

I don't think "breach of peace" and 3rd degree assault will get him kicked off the team, but I don't know the nature of the crime. From another article, it sounds like he was in a group of 5 teens that were charged.

My thoughts on this have always been that if a player gets his/her name on the police blotter for being arrested then there has to be some repercussions. I'm not talking about getting kicked off the team or anything (let the punishment fit the crime) but make him sit a couple of games so they learn there are consequences for stupid mistakes. I've always been a little miffed that Ol' Roy didn't sit Lawson for a couple of games after his DUI - no matter what happened in practice there should have been a public show of discipline (and they wouldn't have needed him for their early slate anyway).

devildeac
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
WWGD?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/d1scourse/2009/sep/28/terp-freshman-jordan-williams-arrested/

Perhaps U-con has an open probation slot, err, scholly, on their roster:rolleyes:. Calhoun has been known to "steal" a recruit from the terps in the past...

airowe
09-28-2009, 01:51 PM
What will Gary do?

Sweat, Gary, sweat.

bigj4194
09-28-2009, 02:10 PM
WWGD?

Start him.

Hancock 4 Duke
09-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I can't wait to see what the Crazies will do with this! WWCD?

SmartDevil
09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Trade him to Calhoun for a couple of laptops.

4decadedukie
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't think "breach of peace" and 3rd degree assault will get him kicked off the team.

I suspect you are correct and, in my opinion, that is quite unfortunate. Student-athletes are role models – even beyond their non-athlete peers – and I believe a "zero tolerance" policy should apply both to their comportment and to their scholarship.

Many will suggest that is too draconian; I would respond that the general level of perceived behavior and of scholastic attainment among college (and professional) athletes has declined precipitously (especially in the so-called revenue sports) during the last decades. If we wish to arrest this deplorable trend, we MUST send an unequivocal message to trustees, administrators, coaches, fans, alumni, and student athletes: any conduct that reflects poorly on the university, the game, the team, the NCAA, the conference, and so forth is grounds for severe punishment, including immediate scholarship revocation, expulsion, and a permanent ban from NCAA sanctioned intercollegiate competition.

College athletics and competition is far more about character development and academic augmentation, than it is about winning. All too often, this is forgotten – or ignored – in our competitive society. While that may produce more competitive teams, I respectfully suggest it also creates a diminished society with reduced ethics.

Duvall
09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Many will suggest that is too draconian; I would respond that the general level of perceived behavior and of scholastic attainment among college (and professional) athletes has declined precipitously (especially in the so-called revenue sports) during the last decades.

Based on what?

BD80
09-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Not that this would have any impact upon Gary's decision, but how many other players over 6'9" are there on Md's roster?

Actually, I think Gary will be somewhat strict, unless the victim was a Duke student.

ACCBBallFan
09-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Interesting question since Terps are playing in Maui this year with a lot of fairly evenly matched teams plus Colorado and Chaminade.

My bet Gary makes him sit vs. Chaminade and the 3 games before, but back for AZ/Wisc and games the next month with Nova.

32 751 WCC Gonzaga -1
37 687 ACC Maryland -7 (12)
44 410 BE Cincy -9
47 375 B10 Wisc -7 (14)
50 340 SEC Vandy -7 (E-5)
55 259 P10 Arrizona -4

Charleston Southern at Maryland CSN 8:00 N13
Fairfield at Maryland CSN 8:00 N17
New Hampshire at Maryland 8:00 N20
Maryland vs. Chaminade ESPNU 9:30 N23
Maryland vs. AZ/Wisc ESPN2/ESPN TBA N24
Maryland vs. Vandy/Zaga/Cincy/ColoradoTBA ESPN2/ESPN TBA N25