PDA

View Full Version : Mad props to Jim Caldwell

throatybeard
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I put this on the EKB becuase this guy has a history in ACC sports, though not at Duke.

Caldwell's time at Wake Forest wasn't great. It wasn't Franks or Roof-grade disaster, but maybe similar (26-63) to Fred Goldsmith (17-39). I'm a big admirer of Jim Grobe--you'd have to think any sane Duke fan would be, given the similar challenges at WFU--but sometimes I think a coach gets to capitalize on a foundation built by the guy who got fired in his favor. And in some ways I think Grobe did so.

Anyway, Duke and WFU are very similar schools w/r/t I-A football in the last 40 years. Small school, small fanbase, private, and surrounded by state-supported behemoths. Can you imagine a fired Duke coach becoming HC of an NFL team? Al Michaels just told a story about how, after getting tossed in Winston, Caldwell called Dungy, trying to securing position coach jobs for his assts. Caldwell talked him into taking a job with him, and now here we are, one of the few AfAm head coaches in the NFL ever. Go Colts.

PS - Last Jets coach to start 3-0? Al Groh. Hmm...

vango
09-28-2009, 08:43 AM
"Go Colts" indeed.

madscavenger
09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
IMO, anyone who wants a head coaching job in the NFL has to be mad. i'll take the Browns.