PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech random thoughts

whereinthehellami
04-24-2007, 11:37 AM
With the off-season upon us I thought we would look at each ACC team and throw out some random thoughts about each school. I thought we would start at the top of the ACC and go from there. Keep it flame free and maybe even get some of the fans from the other schools to weigh in. It doesn't have to be all Bball related but that should be focus.

BC (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608), MD (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483), UVA (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331), and UNC (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252) were previously looked at.

Lets take a look at Virginia Tech:

VT was picked to be 6th pre-season and finished 5th with big wins over Duke and UNC (twice).

Zabian Dowdell ended last season as 1st team All-ACC and Jamon Gordon landed on the 3rd team All-ACC.

VT lost three starters to attrition (Dowdell 6-3, Gordon 6-3, and Collins 6-9) and one bench player that averaged over 10 MPG (Sailes 6-5).

Dowdell led the team in scoring (17 PPG) and was second in assists (3 APG). Gordon was third in scoring (11 PPG) and first in assists (5 APG).

VT went 9 deep last year (over 10 MPG) and are losing 4 players out of that rotation.

Their 7 footer, Krabbendam, has decided to transfer for more playng time. He had some negative comments about the coaches posted in their college paper on his way out.

VT lost two assistants to other programs, one was Seth's son, Brad.

Deron Wahington (SR, 6-7) avergaed 12 PPG (2nd) and 5.3 RPG (1st) last season and should be the leader of the team next year. That could be a challenge for him and a problem for their young team next year as I'm not sure how comfortable he will be in that role.

A.D. Vassallo (JR, 6-6) averaged 11 PPG (4th) and 4 RPG (3rd) last year and needs to expand his game next year with more penetration on offense and better all around defense.

Munson (SO, 6-0), Witcher (SO, 6-9), and Diakte (JR, 6-9) all saw over 10 MPG last year but will need to step up there games for VT to have a chance at staying in the upper ACC standings next year.

VT had one player make the RSCI top 100 and that was Jeff Allen (6-7) at #81. Allen played his HS ball at Dematha and then prepped for a year at Oak Hill and is physically ready to play at VT.

VT also signed 5 other recruits; Dorenzo Hudson (6-4), Gus Gilchrist (6-9), Malcom Delaney (6-3), Terrel Bell ( 6-6), and Darrion Pellum (6-6).

VT should have a better football team this year than last but face a tougher schedule and could end up with a worse record than they had last year.

VT has had a heated QB battle going for more than a year now between Sean Glennon and Ike Whitaker, despite Whitaker seeking treatment last season for alcoholism.

VT is a beautiful 2,600 acre campus in a college town setting, if you haven't seen a football game there, its worth checking out, as the place has lots of electricity.

gw67
04-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Like many other ACC teams, Tech will be heavily dependent on returning reserves and incoming freshmen. Washington and Vassallo will likely score in double figures but the top player, IMO, may be Allen, who was an All Met two years ago at DeMatha. Greenburg has recruited the DC-Baltimore areas the past two years and has come away with some good players - Munson, Allen, Gilchrist and Delaney. I expect that the development of these four players could go a long way toward ensuring that Tech has a decent season. In addition, they have a very good home court advantage and they only play one of the likely top teams, Georgia Tech, twice.

gw67

VaDukie
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
VT will go as far as Deron Washington will take them. If he develops his jumper he has ACC First Team potential. Vasailo offers some shooting, but it'll be tough to compensate for the loss of their seniors.

Patrick Yates
04-24-2007, 04:32 PM
VT takes a huge tumble next year. I can easily see them as the worst team in the league, certainly in the bottom 3.

They lost their best 2 players imho, and Deron Washington could struggle without experienced guards to get him the rock. Next year we will see how he likes seeing a two man net every time he touches the ball (it truly speaks to the teams progress next year that a player on his level could see such attention when he gets the ball).

Next year I feel that many acc Teams, especially some of the more traditional powers, will try to really beat on VT to get the coach back for trying to turn each game into a "crusade" against the storied programs (name Us and UNC). I forsee many beatings in their future, with few coaches willing to show mercy to a coach who seemed to call out the other team on a routine basis.

The state of Virginia could be a real wasteland next year as far as college hoops (exceping VCU who will be a mid major beast). Good times.

Patrick Yates

whereinthehellami
04-25-2007, 02:02 PM
VT has some holes to fill next season but they got some recruits that have the potential to be starters for them next year. VT might have got some gems that were ranked lower than they should have been. I like the way Seth is recruiting athletic guys that can take you off the bounce.

There six recruits form one of the better classes in the ACC:

Jeff Allen (6-8) who prepped last year at Oak Hill should be a starter by the end of the season at the latest, as he brings rebounding and toughness to the table with some skills.

Dorenzo Hudson (6-4) has also seen some top 100 recruiting lists. He is often described as an athlete that can play multiple position with decent shooting ability. I look for Hudson to play around 10 MPG next year and to be part of the regular rotation.

Gus Gilchrist (6-9) could be a starter from day 1 if he plays decent enough defense, which he is known for. This could be a real steal for VT as this late bloomer is long, athletic, and a tenacious rebounder/finisher. He would be replacing Coleman Collins (6-9) who was wildly inconsistent (though he did have some really unfortunate family issues). On Scout, Pattrick Patterson's AAU coach was quoted as saying that Gilchrist played Patterson the toughest out of anyone they faced.

Malcom Delaney (6-3) is a shooter, pure and simple. He lit it up in the Capital Classic all-star game and shot over 50% from 3 last year (who was the last guy you remember dong that?). Delaney played on the same team as Donte Green (McDonald all-american) and won the player of the year over Green for the conference they played in. He could also start from day 1 if his defense is anywhere near acc-level (which will be a reach, IMO).

Terrel Bell and Darion Pellum are both 6-6 athletes that are probably a year away from seeing more than 10 MPG. I think these guys were gambles by Seth, hoping that one would turn into a "diamond in the rough" scenario.

whereinthehellami
04-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I like the players that VT has on their team and think they could be somewhat of a suprise next year in the ACC (in that they won't suck as bad as a lot of people are thinking). I think it will take time for Seth to settle on the right lineup and I think that will end up looking somewhat like this:

STARTERS
Munson 6-0 SO
Delaney 6-3 FR
Vassallo 6-6 JR
Washington 6-7 SR
Diakite 6-9 JR

BENCH (over 10 MPG)
Allen 6-7 FR
Gilchrist 6-9 Fr
Hudson 6-4 FR
Witcher 6-9 SO

I think Allen could start in place of Diakite but Diakite is seasoned and showed some toughness inside that they can definately use next year. Overall once the Hokie start to click I think they could start to look pretty good by the end of next year, enough to stay away from the bottom of the ACC. Though in the end, they are probably a year away from making any real noise in the ACC.

The Hokies have a very athletic team, that while young has some talent. They will undoubtedly have some problems with team defense early and suffer offensive dry spells as they struggle to find leadership and a team identity. If they develop those areas earlier than later, they have the ability to finish around the middle of the pack in the ACC. Their schedule (when they play teams) will be very important as the youth comes together.

Olympic Fan
04-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I actually think Virginia Tech has a chance to be decent next year -- not championship contenders, but no where near the bottom of the league.

As others have noted, Washington is an elite athlete who will be a candidate for first-team All-ACC. Vassallo is a proven shooter (44.6 percent on 3s). Greenberg has a couple of big bodies -- Diakite and Witcher, plus a once celebrated recruit in 6-8 Terrence Vinson, who has been hurt the last two years.

All that said, I think the two keys are Nigel Munson at the point and Jeff Allen at PF.

Munson's time was obviously limited last year with Dowdell and Gordon on hand, but that was the plan -- he'd back them up and take over the PG role as a soph. He was a well-regarded recruit out of DeMatha and did nothing as a freshman to hurt his reputation -- he's a smallish (6-0, 175) but ultra-quick distributor and a decent shooter (40.0 percent on 3s).

With a lot of ACC teams struggling at the single most important position in college basketball, Munson offers VPI a solid option at the point.

Allen is something else ... he's the most seriously underrated player in this class (Dave Telep's words, not mine). He's a top 20 talent. Maybe not on potential, but as far as immediate impact.

The thing about Allen is that he's unbelieveably mature (even before his extra year of prep school). He looks and plays like a 10-year NBA veteran. His one flaw is that while he's has a classic power forward game, he's not quite as big as advertised. He's really closer to 6-6 (a SOLID 6-6) than the 6-7 or 6-8 I sometimes see listed. Now, that might not work in the NBA, but in college basketball, where most teams are playing true PFs at center, Allen will be a force. I'll be shocked if he's not a starter from Day One and very surprised if he's not top 3 in the ACC rookie of the year vote.

whereinthehellami
04-26-2007, 01:28 PM
The thing about Allen is that he's unbelieveably mature (even before his extra year of prep school). He looks and plays like a 10-year NBA veteran. His one flaw is that while he's has a classic power forward game, he's not quite as big as advertised. He's really closer to 6-6 (a SOLID 6-6) than the 6-7 or 6-8 I sometimes see listed. Now, that might not work in the NBA, but in college basketball, where most teams are playing true PFs at center, Allen will be a force. I'll be shocked if he's not a starter from Day One and very surprised if he's not top 3 in the ACC rookie of the year vote.

I also got a feeling that Allen is going to be something special but where do you put him or more importantly, who sits in favor of him? Considering his size (more 6-6ish) he sounds more like a F or PF which is where Washington resides. Vassallo kind of screws things up because he plays like a guard (likes the perimeter) but struggles with speed at times, so he can't really defend a guard. I'm not sure about Delaney starting but they need another ball handler/shooter (VT's biggest weakness)and he is pretty much it. If Allen is good enough, he will start, maybe they just go small and play Allen at C. It should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Patrick Yates
04-26-2007, 01:39 PM
They may have some talent coming in, although shortish PFs tend to have period of adjustment, especially defensively.

Washington is an elite athlete, but I see him really struggling as the focus of the offensive next year.

Regardless of the talent coming in, or in place, VT's losses were huge. Only UMD's losses compare, as far as importance to the team (UVA will jump to the top of this list if Singletary stays in the draft). Their guards were the engine of that team. In all their big wins, the two guards were huge. PG is the most important spot in college hoops, and the lost theirs. It will take a while for the replacement to maket the team his.

I feel that the players VT loses were so instrumental to their success that they will fail miserably next year.

Washington will not explode due to the lack of a proven PG to get him the ball in conjunction with the fact that he will be the focus of the opposing D. I do not think he has the mental fortitude to handle that pressure.

Patrick Yates

whereinthehellami
04-27-2007, 10:47 AM
The following predictions assume that only Wright (UNC) stays in for the NBA draft.

HOME GAMES
UVA - W
BC - W
GT - L
MD - L
WF - W
Duke - L
FSU - W
Miami - W

AWAY GAMES
UVA - L
BC - W
GT - L
MD - L
WF - W
Clemson - L
UNC - L
NCSU - L

That puts VT at 7-9 in the ACC. They could lose a couple of those games to inexperience but 7 wins seems about right at this time. VT will be a load the year after, they are landing some decent talent (J.T. Thompson has already signed for 2008 and at 6-8 is shooting up the charts, playing well on the AAU circuit).

VT got a decent break on their schedule. They play BC and Wake four times, which is nice. They also get FSU and Miami at home. Thats pretty much 6 wins right there.

ACCBBallFan
04-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Like Duke, Va Tech as well as Clemson, FSU and Wake will not be a very beefy team. Hokies will have to rely on its perimeter players scoring and ability to defend larger players. I think I read somewhere where their 7 footer Krebbendam tranferred and they lost Coleman Collins, so small ball for them too. Diatke is decent sized but not a monster and few guys over 215 pounds.

whereinthehellami
04-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Diakite is listed as 6-9 on the VT site but I think hes more like 6-8 but he is built very well and tough down low. I think he made good strides last year and with a continued progression could be a force to be reckoned with on the glass. A niche kind of guy who rebounds, converts putbacks, and defends very well. In some ways I think his development into that type of player is the key for the Hokies next year.

Alot of people think that the PG position is key for the Hokies next year but I don't. Nigel Munson was groomed last year to take over at PG and I think he'll be capable enough in the ACC, though not an elite PG. He's solid with the ball, looks to distribute, is a very good FT shooter, and decent enough 3 pt shooter.

Olympic Fan
04-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I think Allen is going to be the starting PF and play 30-plus minutes a game. Yeah, all freshmen have an adjustment period, but my point about him is that he's so mature -- and his game is so mature -- that he'll have less problem adjusting than most.

As for Washington -- one of the keys to VPI's season in 2007 was that Greenberg moved him from PF (where he started in 2005 and 2006) to small forward, where he could really exploit his athleticism. That allows Diakite and Witcher to get most of the work at PF.

I see Greenberg using Diakite-Witcher at center next year with Allen at PF with Washington-Vassallo on the wings and Munson at the point. That could be an interesting situation with so many ACC teams playing three-guard offenses ... they'd be in a one-guard situation.

The projection that had them at 7-9 -- that's about what I think, provided Munson does what he should. Somewhere in that range 7-9 to 9-7 depending on the rest of the league. As I said, I don't think they are championship contenders, but I think they will be decent ... and I think you will be surprised how good Allen is as a freshman.

gw67
05-13-2007, 08:14 AM
This morning's Post reports that one of the top incoming freshmen at Virginia Tech, Gus Gilchrist, has decided not to play for them because of the campus shootings. Gilchrist is 6-9 and an All Met and he was considered to be a "steal" for Tech. He has signed an LOI so I believe that he has to either go to Prep school or sit out a year if Tech doesn't let him out of his commitment. How this meshes with the new NCAA rules is not clear to me but he may also lose a year of elgibility.

gw67

CDu
05-13-2007, 09:13 AM
is essential. It is what has made Va Tech a surprise the past few years. And it is what will do them in this year.

They lose one of the best all-around backcourts in the ACC. More importantly, they lose the guys who handled the ball 95% of the time last year. Their best returning players are forwards who are catch-and-shoot (Vasaillo) or catch-and-dunk/rebound-putback (Washington) guys.

Unless either (a) the new backcourt is surprisingly good or (b) Vasaillo or Washington really pick up their half-court ballhandling skills, I think the team will struggle mightily. If you can't get the ball to your big men, you aren't going to succeed.

whereinthehellami
05-13-2007, 09:59 AM
They lose one of the best all-around backcourts in the ACC. More importantly, they lose the guys who handled the ball 95% of the time last year. Their best returning players are forwards who are catch-and-shoot (Vasaillo) or catch-and-dunk/rebound-putback (Washington) guys.

Unless either (a) the new backcourt is surprisingly good or (b) Vasaillo or Washington really pick up their half-court ballhandling skills, I think the team will struggle mightily. If you can't get the ball to your big men, you aren't going to succeed.

Nigel Munson is supposed to be able to handle and distribute the rock pretty good, plus he got some playing time last year. They will no doubht be a different team this coming year but considering their schedule and the weakness of some of the other ACC teams I think they won't be as bad as some people are thinking.

I think the Gus Gilchrist issue is unfortunate for VT as he seemed like a real find for Seth. The VT board has some speculation about him wanting out for other reasons than the shooting (Huggins).

CDu
05-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Nigel Munson is supposed to be able to handle and distribute the rock pretty good, plus he got some playing time last year. They will no doubht be a different team this coming year but considering their schedule and the weakness of some of the other ACC teams I think they won't be as bad as some people are thinking.

I think the Gus Gilchrist issue is unfortunate for VT as he seemed like a real find for Seth. The VT board has some speculation about him wanting out for other reasons than the shooting (Huggins).

that they'll be the worst in the league or anything, but when the unquestionable strength of the team was the backcourt, and that backcourt leaves, you're likely to take a dive. Munson may be able to manage a game, but he's no Dowdell. And they don't have anyone close to the level of Gordon. Those two carried the team. They made it possible for Washington to often get lost, which allowed him to be an impact player off the ball. Having just a solid point guard just isn't going to cut it, in my opinion.

Olympic Fan
05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
The point is, we really don't know how good Munson is -- or isn't.

He was a well-regarded recruit from a great prep program. He was recruited to come in and sit and learn for a season, which is exactly what he did. He did display good quickness, a nice 3-point touch, and a good assist-turnover ratio in a limited role. But the fact that he played a limited role shouldn't be overblown -- with Gordon and Dowdell on hand, he was supposed to play a limited role.

All that said, I agree that he's a question mark. We don't know how he'll perform as a 35-minute a game lead guard.

However, how many ACC teams are actually solid at the point? At the moment:

(1) UNC with Ty Lawson, who has the potential to be a star

(2) Boston College with Ty Rice, a talented scorer who made have to score a lot with this year's depleted roster.

That's it (unless Singletary and/or Crittenton pulls out of the draft)

After that, teams that will be relying on returning veterans:

(3) Maryland -- Freshmen Greivas Vasquez and Eric Hayes shared the position last year and were very promising. I think they'll be starting together in the backcourt this year, which ought to work out well.

(4) Duke -- I like Paulus. I believe in Paulus. The guy I saw lead the ACC in assists in 2006 should have been better last year. Were his problems due to his foot injury (as I believe)? Or is he just a step slow to play ACC point guard? (Why wasn't he too slow in 2006?) Is Nolan Smith, touted as a combo guard, good enough as a playmaker to push Paulus at the point?

I'm optimistic about the position, but if you're going to be realistic, I think you'd agree that the position is somewhat of a question mark for the Devils.

(5) Wake Forest -- Ish Smith led the league in assists, but was terribly erratic -- he also led the league in turnovers. Will he settle down and play more consistently? Will freshman Jeff Teague be mature enough to push him?

(6) Virginia Tech -- Munson

(7) Clemson -- I guess Cliff Hammonds gets the job. He's actually played more point than Hamilton the last two years. A good player, but not a true PG.

(8) Florida State -- Toney Douglas is a good player, but I'm still not convinced he's anywhere near being a point guard. Nowhere close to the top 10 in the ACC in assists or A/TO ratio.

Who's the point? Teams that will go into next season without a proven PG (in no order because we don't know!)

-- Virginia: If Singletary pulls out of the draft, they go to the top of the list, ahead of UNC. If he doesn't return, I don't know who they start at the point.

-- Georgia Tech: If Crittenton returns, they go to the top (behind Singletary, but ahead of Lawson). If he doesn't (and I hear that while Young may come back, Crittenton won't), they'll rely on Mo Miller, a borderline top 100 prospect from Memphis.

-- Miami: Edwin Rios was once regarded as a top 25 prospect ... but for two years he's dropped in the rankings until now he's a second-50 type guy. He'll get his chance to replace three-year starter Anthony Harris.

-- N.C. State: Three candidates and if any one of Degand, Johnson or Gonzales can handle the job, the Pack will be a contender. The problem is that they had Degand (reputed to be a combo guard) in practice all year and were still recruiting frantically. They landed Johnson at midseason and continued to recruit frantically (plus I'm seen him play AAU ball and there's no way this kid can play point in the ACC). Gonzales came late, but he's barely a top 200 prospect from Miami. If all three fail, they go back Grant or Fells -- and that was a disaster last season.

All-in-all, Virginia Tech with Munson has questions at the point -- but less questions than the many ACC teams.

ACCBBallFan
05-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Yes, that's one reason why I think NC State and Ga Tech will finish top 5 in ACC even without Atsur and Crittenden. Though they have questions at PG, so does most of the ACC and they have a lot of ACC experience everywhere else.

With Mays returns, I would put Clemson in that top 5 in ACC group with UNC and Duke also.

------------------
Though I still think UNC is heavy favorite for first and 2-5 (in alpha order Clemson-Duke-GA Tech-NC St), I have re-thought my position and position several others have stated whether ACC is weak in PGs.

I think Miami's Rios and whoever Va TEch, NC State and GA Tech have at the PG slot face a lot of tough competition.

My guess is Singletary and Lawson make first team ACC, another 2 second team with Rice and Paulus, and then maybe another two make 3rd team ACC or Honorable mention with Vasquez and Ish Smith or Toney Douglas or Hammonds

So 8 teams have pretty good PGs,

This year's ACC PGs are actiually very good, though not as good overall as 2004-2005 with Felton, Jack, Paul, Gilchrist, Vernon Hamilton, Atsur, Singletary, FSU's Galloway, Dockery and Ewing weren't bad, Miami trio Diaz-Hite-Harris, and VA Tech's Dowdell/Gordon.

BC's Hinnant may not have been in ACC yet then, but just about everybody in ACC that year had good to very good or better PGs.

I wish things were better for VA Tech who endured so much tragedy, but this year's basketball team will be bottom half of ACC behind the 5 I listed plus UVA-BC-MD and possibly playing even with UVA and FSU, only surpassing Miami and Wake who vie for bottom honors.

Losing the three key positions in Dowdell-Gordon-Collins is too much ground to make up in one year. Sure they have Washington and Vassallo and a couple of promising guys but so does every ACC team except Miami primarily Jack McClinton and some beef and Wake even less of a go to guy until their prized recruits show up year after this.

whereinthehellami
05-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Good post Olympic Fan. The only certain thing for VT next season is that their team will be drastically different than this past season. They have some potential and talent on their team though, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes Seth to figure out what works best. I think it all hinges on who takes over as the leader of the team, it might not be their best player.

Capn Poptart
05-14-2007, 11:47 AM
I think Tech may struggle this year. Besides the player losses, the Hokies lost Brad Greenberg (who is Seth's brother, not son), who takes over as the Radford HC. Brad's a smart guy and at times Seth and Brad seemed almost like co-coaches. It may affect Tech (and Seth) when adversity hits...

whereinthehellami
07-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Losing Nigel Munson to transfer is a worse case scenario for the Hokies. I think VT had a chance at being a suprise team in the ACC next year and winning around 9 games, more than alot of people were thinking. But all of that hinged on Munson being their point guard. Why he would transfer when he was a guarenteed starter is just baffling to me unless there is more to the story. The only thing i have seen regarding a reason for his transfer mentions his wanting to be closer to home. Right. What a head scratcher. Being a college coach has got to be quite the emotional ride. Who knows where VT will end up now , they have got find a PG. They still have some talent at the other positions but without a distributor will struggle mightily on offense.

mapei
07-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I've been watching and following the Kenner League summer games in DC this month, and Deron Washington has been super-impressive. He's a very athletic guy.

whereinthehellami
07-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I've been watching and following the Kenner League summer games in DC this month, and Deron Washington has been super-impressive. He's a very athletic guy.

I think Deron Washington needs to step up as a leader this year for VT to have chance at getting above .500 in the ACC.

ACCBBallFan
07-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Losing Nigel Munson to transfer is a worse case scenario for the Hokies. I think VT had a chance at being a suprise team in the ACC next year and winning around 9 games, more than alot of people were thinking. But all of that hinged on Munson being their point guard. Why he would transfer when he was a guarenteed starter is just baffling to me unless there is more to the story. The only thing i have seen regarding a reason for his transfer mentions his wanting to be closer to home. Right. What a head scratcher. Being a college coach has got to be quite the emotional ride. Who knows where VT will end up now , they have got find a PG. They still have some talent at the other positions but without a distributor will struggle mightily on offense.link

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2007/07/07/LeBron_Takes_the_Court

While looking for this, also noticed Paco Diaw from GA Tech is transferring, but not as big a loss

http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=888

and this link regarding the NC State PG by committee

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/616872.html

whereinthehellami
07-24-2007, 08:22 AM
The Hokies signed 5'-9" Hank Thorns, out of Las Vegas to help with point guard duties. Besides having a name like an adult film star, Thorns is supposed to be quick and got some offers late in the game with Kentucky about to offer before he signed with the Hokies. See youtube video below of some game footage of Thorns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8-XUPtpo0

ACCBBallFan
07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
The Hokies signed 5'-9" Hank Thorns, out of Las Vegas to help with point guard duties. Besides having a name like an adult film star, Thorns is supposed to be quick and got some offers late in the game with Kentucky about to offer before he signed with the Hokies. See youtube video below of some game footage of Thorns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8-XUPtpo0

Hank Thorns may be a small step inthe right direction, but far cry from Dowdell or Gordon.

http://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=64846

IN ACC Thorns will find the competition and experience overwhelming from Singletary, Lawson, Rice, Hammonds Paulus, Ish Smith, Vasquez and Toney Douglas.

VA Tech does play GA Tech who will be equally raw at PG twice, they have to play NC State where PG is also problematic away and do get Miami at home.

Long season for the Hokies, who seem to play well every other year since joining the ACC:

22-12 (10-6)
14-16 (4-12)
16-14 (8-8) Seth was ACC Coach of the Year

VTemanresu
07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Losing Munson really is a huge hit for VT. Its just rumors what the motive is but it appeared that he was just really homesick last year, and there is apparently some issue involving his girlfriend which is really what spurred this. I'll give you one guess what that sudden issue could be.

The other, juicier rumor is apparently his release is conditional on him not going to GW. The name GW has come up three times for VT in the last year. First we had a player (Witherspoon) who requested a release saying he was going to go back to Georgia to be with his ailing mother but then ended up at GW. Second, a VT recruit (Gus Gilchrist) backed out of his LOI citing the shootings. It looks like he will prep but someone connected to a former team he played on has said he would go to GW. Third, before that happened someone called up all of VT’s recruits and brought up the shooting incident, and Greenberg implied it was someone from a DC area school. It goes without saying it wouldn’t be UMD or Georgetown. Anyways, just more message board rumors, really. :rolleyes:

As for how VT will fare without Munson, it’s really hard to say right now. VT finally has a good selection of shooters and forwards at its disposal but now there is no one to distribute the ball. Thorns is by many accounts a fast, talented player, but he was a one-man show in a mediocre high school league and will probably really struggle trying to run an offense, let alone defending much bigger guards or the likes of Singletary. Before, I figured VT would equal their success last year, but now the season will probably be a write-off.

http://www.vtcca.vt.edu/images/articles/20061121090111591_1.jpg

whereinthehellami
07-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the board. Its always good to hear from fans of the other schools.

The other, juicier rumor is apparently his release is conditional on him not going to GW. The name GW has come up three times for VT in the last year. First we had a player (Witherspoon) who requested a release saying he was going to go back to Georgia to be with his ailing mother but then ended up at GW. Second, a VT recruit (Gus Gilchrist) backed out of his LOI citing the shootings. It looks like he will prep but someone connected to a former team he played on has said he would go to GW. Third, before that happened someone called up all of VT’s recruits and brought up the shooting incident, and Greenberg implied it was someone from a DC area school. It goes without saying it wouldn’t be UMD or Georgetown. Anyways, just more message board rumors, really. :rolleyes:

I hadn't heard this rumor, pretty interesting.

Before, I figured VT would equal their success last year, but now the season will probably be a write-off.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking too. Its unfortunate as like you said VT has some talent and could have been a suprise. They still could be if either Thorns or Delaney are able to hold their own but i agree with you in that is too much to expect from a freshman in the ACC, even if is a down year.