PDA

View Full Version : Leave those backpacks at home, folks

jimsumner
09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
From Duke

"As part of new federal security guidelines, backpacks and large bags are no longer permitted inside Wallace Wade Stadium. Vehicles also are prohibited from the stadium concourse.

The adjustments, which take effect Saturday as Duke hosts N.C. Central in football at 7 p.m., come as a result of national recommendations from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that have been distributed to sports venues in the wake of recent terrorism-related arrests in Colorado and New York.

John Dailey, Duke University’s chief of police, said Duke’s bag and vehicle policies are not the result of any specific threat at Duke or in Durham. “This is a proactive measure to help enhance an already safe game-day experience,” he said.

Other schools like the University of Michigan issued similar guidelines this week and banned purses and all other bags from its football stadium. UNC-Chapel Hill has already banned backpacks and large bags inside Kenan Stadium.

As is current policy at Wallace Wade, all bags are subject to search."

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2009, 12:27 PM
From Duke

"As part of new federal security guidelines, backpacks and large bags are no longer permitted inside Wallace Wade Stadium. Vehicles also are prohibited from the stadium concourse.

The adjustments, which take effect Saturday as Duke hosts N.C. Central in football at 7 p.m., come as a result of national recommendations from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that have been distributed to sports venues in the wake of recent terrorism-related arrests in Colorado and New York.

John Dailey, Duke University’s chief of police, said Duke’s bag and vehicle policies are not the result of any specific threat at Duke or in Durham. “This is a proactive measure to help enhance an already safe game-day experience,” he said.

Other schools like the University of Michigan issued similar guidelines this week and banned purses and all other bags from its football stadium. UNC-Chapel Hill has already banned backpacks and large bags inside Kenan Stadium.

As is current policy at Wallace Wade, all bags are subject to search."

Thanks for the heads up on this change of policy. With the high possibility of rain, carrying a bag of some sort with rain gear was part of my plan for the day. Is there any more definite information regarding what constitutes a large bag?

DukeUsul
09-25-2009, 01:02 PM
I certainly hope this excludes diaper bags....

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Your little Katie will be your best documentation for the purpose of that bag!

If you want to make sure, call the ticket office for clarification. I was told that the change of policy is aimed at backpacks and duffel bags.

jipops
09-25-2009, 01:26 PM
I understand the security issue, but this policy makes it a huge pain in the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. to take multiple small children into the game. You always need certain "stuff" handy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2009, 03:30 PM
I understand the security issue, but this policy makes it a huge pain in the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. to take multiple small children into the game. You always need certain "stuff" handy.

If you don't use a duffel bag or backpack, you'll probably be OK. You can verify this with the ticket office this afternoon if that helps your planning for tomorrow.

SupaDave
09-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Cargo pants and a fannie pack should hold you down for a few hrs. OR you could get one of those see-through bags that folks use who work at department stores...

Atldukie79
09-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Went to the UGA/ASU game in Athens on Saturday night with the same backpack rule. We did not know this ahead of time. There must have been 300 backbacks left outside the gate.

The fact that the rainstorm was so intense I expected to see Noah's ark floating by, we had to remove all our stuff and jam it into totally wet pockets. I don't know if we had more or less rain than Wallace Wade at Sanford stadium, but the row in front of us (1st row upper deck) had 6 inches of standing water. It was quite comical to watch the folks sitting in front of us with water over their ankles for the entire game.

(Note...this did not inhibit their incessant barking)

SharkD
10-02-2009, 07:06 PM

So what was the verdict on diaper bags? I'd like to bring my 8 month-old to (at least some of) tomorrow's game.

UrinalCake
10-04-2009, 11:50 PM
I wish I had known this before attending Saturday's game with my daughter. I was told by a security person that I'd have to leave her diaper bag on the ground outside the gate. I said this would not be possible and the lady hinted that I could get a large bag from chic fila and stuff the backpack inside it. So I did this (which makes absolutely no sense to begin with) and then I was told I'd need to dump out all of my food. I said that my daughter has food sensitivities and the lady said that duke expects me to buy food at the concession stands.

This is complete bulls**t done under the guise of "national security." Seriously, a sippy cup is a security threat? I'm supposed to feed my child overpriced hot dogs and nachos after already shelling out for the tickets? I don't suspect we'll be going to any more games.

uh_no
10-04-2009, 11:56 PM
you should email someone in the athletic department and let them know that their policies lost them your business

sending an actual letter to coach cutcliffe would not be a bad idea either

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-05-2009, 09:11 AM
I wish I had known this before attending Saturday's game with my daughter. I was told by a security person that I'd have to leave her diaper bag on the ground outside the gate. I said this would not be possible and the lady hinted that I could get a large bag from chic fila and stuff the backpack inside it. So I did this (which makes absolutely no sense to begin with) and then I was told I'd need to dump out all of my food. I said that my daughter has food sensitivities and the lady said that duke expects me to buy food at the concession stands.

This is complete bulls**t done under the guise of "national security." Seriously, a sippy cup is a security threat? I'm supposed to feed my child overpriced hot dogs and nachos after already shelling out for the tickets? I don't suspect we'll be going to any more games.

I called the ticket office to inquire about this new policy before it was to be implemented the first time. What you've described is contrary to the information being given at that time. I am certain that Kevin White would want to know about such abuses carried out by a contracted security employee.

allenmurray
10-05-2009, 10:47 AM

It amazes me too. I have heard the "national security" (or sometimes just "security") argument at other venues as well (including the DBAP in Durham). In June I went to Busch Stadium in St. Louis and brought in my own sodas and hot dogs. "No problem", said the person at the gate. When I go to Camden Yards I always bring in a corned beef sandwich from Altman's Deli. This is perfectly acceptable to the staff there (as is bringing in your own sodas and peanuts). If the stadium staff at venues that do not allow outside food would be honest and simply say, "you have to buy our food so we can make more money" I might be angry about it, but at least I'd respect their honesty. Bringing in a few pieces of Bojangle's fried chicken into Wallace Wade (as I used to do) is hardly putting our nation's safety at risk. But the reasons given by the Duke Athletic department simply turn them into liars. So instead of just being greedy, they are now greedy and dishonest. Couldn't they settle for just a respectable greedy?

UrinalCake
10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I would empathize even further with parents of younger children who require formula and other supplies. It would be virtually impossible for them to go to a game, unless they plan on just staying for twenty minutes. And that doesn't even address the parking issues.

Duke football is in a very tenuous position right now and doesn't need to be alienating its fans even further. Younger fans who are potential students and supporters may represent the only hope for the program.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Those security personnel are employees of a company contracted to provide security services. They are not employees of Duke University.

Kevin White would want to know about what happened. He is very approachable. Informing him would do more to rectify the situation than anything said on this board. You can find his email address and mailing address on goduke.com.

sagegrouse
10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I would empathize even further with parents of younger children who require formula and other supplies. It would be virtually impossible for them to go to a game, unless they plan on just staying for twenty minutes. And that doesn't even address the parking issues.

Duke football is in a very tenuous position right now and doesn't need to be alienating its fans even further. Younger fans who are potential students and supporters may represent the only hope for the program.

U.C. --

I think your concerns are right on. The only reason I can cut Duke and the security guard any slack is that they may have been aware of your unfortunate screen name and thought you were a public health risk.:):):)

sagegrouse

devildeac
10-05-2009, 10:50 PM
U.C. --

I think your concerns are right on. The only reason I can cut Duke and the security guard any slack is that they may have been aware of your unfortunate screen name and thought you were a public health risk.:):):)

sagegrouse

Please excuse me. I have to go clean off my computer screen now. LMAO.

Back to the original post-that is really sad to read. I agree with DitDB and would contact the athletic department about the occurence.

UrinalCake
10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I did email Kevin White and relayed some of my complaints.

Kimist
10-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I recall last season at one of those hot "afternoon" games that my personal contraband was a bottle of water which I had been carrying while walking from a distant parking lot.

No back pack, no diaper bag, no blanket, no food stash.....just a very viewable, held in my hand, partially consumed bottle of water.

Which I had to dump onto the ground.

That still rubs me the wrong way........:mad:

At the time I was beginning to wonder if perhaps W Wade would have pay-to-use bathrooms in order to generate even more $$$.
k

gep
10-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I did email Kevin White and relayed some of my complaints.

It would be nice... and even helpful, I think... if you could post back any response/reply you receive from Duke.

gep
10-08-2009, 01:28 AM
I recall last season at one of those hot "afternoon" games that my personal contraband was a bottle of water which I had been carrying while walking from a distant parking lot.

No back pack, no diaper bag, no blanket, no food stash.....just a very viewable, held in my hand, partially consumed bottle of water.

Which I had to dump onto the ground.

Well... it's just like right after 9/11. After all, the bottle of "water" could actually be an explosive liquid :rolleyes:

SharkD
10-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Well... it's just like right after 9/11. After all, the bottle of "water" could actually be an explosive liquid :rolleyes:

I'm sure -- everyone carries their "water" in glass gallon flasks marked "18 molar H2SO4," "laboratory strength H2O2" and "(CH2)6N4," or is adamant about the need to keep their "water" between 2 and 10 degrees Centigrade. That's what every football fan does, and wouldn't stand-out at all, right?

Really, pay no attention to the melting Aquafina bottle and the chemical burns when the "water" contacts my skin.

---

In all seriousness, there are swab tests and handheld sniffers, which make it both possible to carry a normal sized bag into a sporting event and to actually prevent the threat of an explosive attack (which is, in no way, curbed by arbitrarily banning hand baggage).

[/spent 9 years in National Security/counter-terrorism]

Bob Green
10-08-2009, 06:17 AM
In all seriousness, there are swab tests and handheld sniffers, which make it both possible to carry a normal sized bag into a sporting event and to actually prevent the threat of an explosive attack.

Excellent post except for the fact that national security is a red herring as we all know concession stand sells and profit are the real motivtion behind this policy. It isn't rocket science and I'm not Wernher von Braun.

gvtucker
10-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Excellent post except for the fact that national security is a red herring as we all know concession stand sells and profit are the real motivtion behind this policy.

I'm not so sure about that.

For whatever reason, there has been an increased focus on this sort of thing at college football games this year. And, believe it or not, Duke is on the more lenient side of the spectrum.

Now I don't think this makes a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things when it comes to protecting against terrorism for Truth, Justice, and the American Way, but I do think this policy by Duke is part of a reaction throughout college football (however misguided it might be), not due to a profit generating scheme for concessions.

SharkD
10-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Excellent post except for the fact that national security is a red herring as we all know concession stand sells and profit are the real motivtion behind this policy. It isn't rocket science and I'm not Wernher von Braun.

It's actually a directive from on-high, via DHS and the FBI. Basically, any venue hosting any large group of Americans, watching/doing 'typical American'-type activities has been told that they are a target. (AKA CYA.)

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 10:16 AM
It's actually a directive from on-high, via DHS and the FBI. Basically, any venue hosting any large group of Americans, watching/doing 'typical American'-type activities has been told that they are a target. (AKA CYA.)

So Wallace Wade Stadium and/or the DBAP are targets of terrorism, but Busch Stadim in St. Louis and Camden Yards in Baltimore are not? I'm not buying it. While venues may have been told they are "targets" I imagine how they choose to respond to this and what policies they put in place are areas of wide discretion. In many stadiums the rule is "no glass or metal containers", plastic bottles of soda or water are fine. Likewise a box of chicken or a sandwich poses no national security threat - not allowing those items is a financial decision, not a safety one. The "no backpack"s rule may have merit, but probably from the perspective of the venue being required to check them carefully - therefore simply not allowing them at all makes things move more quickly. Major league venues I have been to recently have two types of lines - one for those with bags and one for those without. If you don't want a 20 minute wait, leave your bag in the car - if you need your bag plan to be delayed.

UrinalCake
10-08-2009, 10:19 AM
It's not about making people safe, it's about making people feel safe. The belief is that after everyone is done complaining about these rules, they'll actually feel like they're being taken care of and that nothing can happen. If someone really wanted to perform some terrorist activity at our football game, they'd find a way to do it, security measures or not.

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
It's not about making people safe, it's about making people feel safe. The belief is that after everyone is done complaining about these rules, they'll actually feel like they're being taken care of and that nothing can happen. If someone really wanted to perform some terrorist activity at our football game, they'd find a way to do it, security measures or not.

You are correct - the kind of damage I can do with a couple of chicken wings, a biscuit, and a bottle of water know no boundaries. But if I am banned from taking them into Wallace Wade I will simply wreak havoc with my quesadailla and overly sweetened tea from Chik-Fil-A.

sagegrouse
10-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Many security measures, of which most are justified, also have the benefit of boosting the receipts and profits of those businesses that enforce them. Consider the post 9-11 requirement to have IDs for all airplane passengers. That meant that colleagues could not swap tickets if business travel arrangements changed, such as Mr. X going in place of Mr. Y. The new traveller would have to buy a high-fare, last-minute ticket, while the old traveller would have to use his (or hers) -- with some healthy surcharges -- for future travel with the same airline.

In a similar way, the ban on liquids helps sports arena boost in-arena sales. Not saying that's the sole cause, but it sure meant that the arenas would not oppose the changes, which made it easy to implement.

Hey, it's the American way!

sagegrouse

gvtucker
10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
So Wallace Wade Stadium and/or the DBAP are targets of terrorism, but Busch Stadim in St. Louis and Camden Yards in Baltimore are not? I'm not buying it. While venues may have been told they are "targets" I imagine how they choose to respond to this and what policies they put in place are areas of wide discretion. In many stadiums the rule is "no glass or metal containers", plastic bottles of soda or water are fine. Likewise a box of chicken or a sandwich poses no national security threat - not allowing those items is a financial decision, not a safety one. The "no backpack"s rule may have merit, but probably from the perspective of the venue being required to check them carefully - therefore simply not allowing them at all makes things move more quickly. Major league venues I have been to recently have two types of lines - one for those with bags and one for those without. If you don't want a 20 minute wait, leave your bag in the car - if you need your bag plan to be delayed.

For whatever reason, the concentration is on college football stadiums. That is why Wally Wade has seen the increased security and not the MLB parks. If you go to a place like Sanford Stadium in Athens, GA, you'll see similar measures.

SharkD
10-08-2009, 11:46 AM
According to: http://www.michigandaily.com/content/security-mind-no-bags-allowed-big-house-saturdays-game (I feel dirty using a Michigan link, but it has the most info of any of the similar articles; I cannot link to LE bulletins), DHS and FBI essentially told every D-I school with a home football game on the schedule that the arrests in NY and Colorado indicated that large sporting events were possible targets, based on (tenuous) intel collected during the investigation. (The science behind the "binary/trinary liquid explosive" threat is garbage, at best. The chemicals are hard to store, require specific temperature ranges when mixed and produce extremely hard to transport explosives.)

Essentially, the venues are now in CYA-mode, so that, in the event that something catastrophic does happen, they can use the defense that they did all they reasonably could, in order to avoid being sued by victims and their families.

Back on topic:

That said, if Duke doesn't think that my wife, our 8-month-old and I should attend the remaining home games, I'd like a refund on our season tickets. Attending a football game with a child of less than 3 years, without diapers/bottles/sippy-cups/supplies/etc. just isn't possible.

Who do we complain to?

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 11:59 AM
According to: http://www.michigandaily.com/content/security-mind-no-bags-allowed-big-house-saturdays-game (I feel dirty using a Michigan link, but it has the most info of any of the similar articles; I cannot link to LE bulletins), DHS and FBI essentially told every D-I school with a home football game on the schedule that the arrests in NY and Colorado indicated that large sporting events were possible targets, based on (tenuous) intel collected during the investigation. (The science behind the "binary/trinary liquid explosive" threat is garbage, at best. The chemicals are hard to store, require specific temperature ranges when mixed and produce extremely hard to transport explosives.)

That said, if Duke doesn't think that my wife, our 8-month-old and I should attend the remaining home games, I'd like a refund on our season tickets. Attending a football game with a child of less than 3 years, without diapers/bottles/sippy-cups/supplies/etc. just isn't possible.

For whatever reason, the concentration is on college football stadiums. That is why Wally Wade has seen the increased security and not the MLB parks. If you go to a place like Sanford Stadium in Athens, GA, you'll see similar measures.

If my memory is correct (which is a big if) Duke's restrictions on food/beverages pre-date the recent warning by a well over a year, yet they came well after 9/11. It was sometime about 3 or 4 years ago that Bojangles and Aquafina became leaders in world terrorism. ;) The ban on backpacks does coincide with the CO/NY activity, but not the food issue.

Indoor66
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow, what a tempest in a teapot this thread has become.

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Wow, what a tempest in a teapot this thread has become.

Perhaps - though one could make that same statement about the entirity of DBR - in the grand scheme of things it means nothing - it is purely entertainment.

Secondly, without knowing you age, gender, marital status, or if you have kids, I do wonder if you have ever tried to take a toddler or infant or (god help you) one of each into a venue like this. Even if every student at Duke attended the games WW Stadium would look half-empty. To boost attendance Duke has to rely on community support because unlike UNC or NCSU it has neither a large student body nor a large local alumni base. So when in adddition to spending between $50 and $100 on tickets, $10 to park, and then walking 3/4 of a mile with your infant or toddler in tow you arrive to find you can't enter the stadium with the things you need to make a nice day for your family, the likelihood of your return is low. For a program that already struggles with low attendance it is a counter-productive practice.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Back on topic:

Who do we complain to?
Kevin White, David Cutcliffe, Eric Beatty and Dick Brodhead. Probably in that order, unless you are a multi-million dollar donor to the University, in which case I might reverse it. :D

SharkD
10-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Kevin White, David Cutcliffe, Eric Beatty and Dick Brodhead. Probably in that order, unless you are a multi-million dollar donor to the University, in which case I might reverse it. :D

Thanks, Ozzie. That's what I was looking for. Now, if only I could figure out who to complain to about permanent concessions not taking Credit/Debit...

And, no, I'm not a million-dollar donor. (Though I could be, if the University upped my salary *hint*hint*.)

Indoor66
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Perhaps - though one could make that same statement about the entirity of DBR - in the grand scheme of things it means nothing - it is purely entertainment.

Secondly, without knowing you age, gender, marital status, or if you have kids, I do wonder if you have ever tried to take a toddler or infant or (god help you) one of each into a venue like this. Even if every student at Duke attended the games WW Stadium would look half-empty. To boost attendance Duke has to rely on community support because unlike UNC or NCSU it has neither a large student body nor a large local alumni base. So when in adddition to spending between $50 and $100 on tickets, $10 to park, and then walking 3/4 of a mile with your infant or toddler in tow you arrive to find you can't enter the stadium with the things you need to make a nice day for your family, the likelihood of your return is low. For a program that already struggles with low attendance it is a counter-productive practice.

I took my children from toddler age to adults and my grandchildren from toddlers to current teenage to game as WW. I parked, walked, pottied, fed, watered and entertained them at games. I survive and survived the process. It is part of raising children.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Ozzie. That's what I was looking for. Now, if only I could figure out who to complain to about permanent concessions not taking Credit/Debit...

And, no, I'm not a million-dollar donor. (Though I could be, if the University upped my salary *hint*hint*.)

Kevin White is the AD. Contact him and he'll follow up with those who handle that area of operations.

gvtucker
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Actually, if you're an Iron Duke, you'll have much, much greater success at getting an answer if you contact Eric Beatty before you contact White or Coach Cut.

gvtucker
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
If my memory is correct (which is a big if) Duke's restrictions on food/beverages pre-date the recent warning by a well over a year, yet they came well after 9/11. It was sometime about 3 or 4 years ago that Bojangles and Aquafina became leaders in world terrorism. ;) The ban on backpacks does coincide with the CO/NY activity, but not the food issue.

Then I misunderstood this thread. I thought it was about the much stronger restrictions that just went into effect recently. Until this year, if you had kids, they were very lenient and understanding with respect to things like sippy cups and snacks that you could bring into the stadium. Now, there isn't much leeway.

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I took my children from toddler age to adults and my grandchildren from toddlers to current teenage to game as WW. I parked, walked, pottied, fed, watered and entertained them at games. I survive and survived the process. It is part of raising children.

Can I assume you did not change their diapers while you were there and you fed them soda and hot dogs? I've taken all three of my kids to WW as well, from babyhood to adulthood. I usually brought with me a bag of some sort (diaper bag, backpack, whatever) that had in it diapers, supplies, milk and/or formula. That is my point -those things are no longer allowed. Therefore what you and I did is becoming much harder to do. Absent a bag to carry supplies in, bringing a child still in diapers and needing food other than soda and/or hot dogs is difficult. I'd like the folks 20 years younger than you and me to be able to do what we did - bring their young kids. We shouldn't be making it harder to do that. Even if you stuff the pockets of your pants with spare diapers etc., when you are forbidden from bringing in any outside food (including formula, milk, or juice) it becomes more difficult to enter the stadium with small chilrdren. Personally I'd like to see Wallace Wade more full, not less so. :(

Hey you kids! Get off of my lawn! :)

OZZIE4DUKE
10-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Then I misunderstood this thread. I thought it was about the much stronger restrictions that just went into effect recently. Until this year, if you had kids, they were very lenient and understanding with respect to things like sippy cups and snacks that you could bring into the stadium. Now, there isn't much leeway.
They've got to watch out for that exploding baby diaper... there would be toxic poop everywhere... :eek::eek::eek:

DU82
10-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I have to think the problem with the diaper bag was an overzealous hired security guard. My friend was able to bring food into WW Saturday for medical reasons, in that she's unable to eat any of the food (this isn't a comment on the quality of the food available, mearly the contents.) She showed a doctor's perscription and after checking in with who I assumed was the lead security person at that gate, had no problems. Bringing the food in her purse, rather than a larger bag, probably helped.

I thought I saw a note saying that diaper bags would be allowed, as long as a baby was also brought into the game (ie, no "mom's got her right now" excuse.) I don't see that note on GoDuke.com, so I assume I read it on the NC State website (checking out things for Saturday's game.)

Kimist
10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
All kidding aside, I think there is a world of difference between banning back packs (they still could search them, but then they might find a pack of Doritos ??) versus allowing someone to walk through the gate with a sandwich or drink in hand.

The glass container ban is/was primarily for safety issues (those things can hurt!) but I've been amazed at how a couple of Iron Dukes seated behind me always manage to leave a veritable pile of mini-bottles on the ground.

As others have noted, I do think $$$ is a contributing factor. It's not unlike the parking areas (public streets on campus) which mysteriously have yellow ropes appear...and then disappear shortly after the start of the game.

And FWIW, what do the security people now plan to do to prevent the newest reported terrorist threat presented by those suicide bombers who hide their explosives...well...where the sun does not illumine?? That could cause some real anxious moments for the security personnel... :rolleyes:

k

UrinalCake
10-09-2009, 06:42 AM
My friend was able to bring food into WW Saturday for medical reasons, in that she's unable to eat any of the food... I thought I saw a note saying that diaper bags would be allowed, as long as a baby was also brought into the game

So, if a terrorist wants to attack the stadium, all they have to do is forge a doctor's note and conceal a weapon in a food bag, or have a child with them. Again, these measures aren't really making the stadium any safer.

As an update, I emailed Kevin White last week describing my experience at the stadium and haven't gotten anything back.

PDDuke85
10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I pray common sense prevails and the hired security personnel are properly briefed on what is and is not acceptable to bring into the stadium. A family, with small children and a diaper bag probably isn't much of a threat to national security. Besides, I suspect the bad guys won't be targeting WW Stadium anytime soon to attempt their cowardly actions. They generally like to impact large numbers of people.

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I do wonder if you have ever tried to take a toddler or infant or (god help you) one of each into a venue like this.
I've tried looking at this fairly from both sides...

1st. You don't want there to actually be an attack and have it discovered it was due to slack security. Play Devil's advocate, and picture the aftermath of blame that would be swirling if this were the case.
2cnd. You are correct, getting in with an infant and all the stuff required is no small task. Some airports have designated lines just for such cases. I think it would be smart for stadiums to do the same. That way they could allow those that obviously require what they are carrying in to the game. The line would be more scrutinous, and at the same time not affect the rest of the crowd waiting to get inside.

DU82
10-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I've tried looking at this fairly from both sides...

1st. You don't want there to actually be an attack and have it discovered it was due to slack security. Play Devil's advocate, and picture the aftermath of blame that would be swirling if this were the case.
2cnd. You are correct, getting in with an infant and all the stuff required is no small task. Some airports have designated lines just for such cases. I think it would be smart for stadiums to do the same. That way they could allow those that obviously require what they are carrying in to the game. The line would be more scrutinous, and at the same time not affect the rest of the crowd waiting to get inside.

The folks at NC State today had "Express Lines - No Bags" signs at the gate I went in. I do see more venues doing that. So to some extent they're doing what you suggested, at least in reverse, which has the same effect.