PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Duke football team

jimsumner
09-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Kyrie Irving isn't the only visitor this weekend. If you see some large gentlemen in their late 30s and early 40s roaming around West Campus, it probably is the 1989 Duke football team, which is being honored this weekend.

If you've forgotten what made this team special, the article linked below will remind you. You'll have to enter your email address and scroll to page six but it's free.

http://content.yudu.com/A1ge4a/GDW05/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goduke.com% 2FViewArticle.dbml%3F%26DB_OEM_ID%3D4200%26ATCLID% 3D204779317

trinity92
09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Dilweg and a bowl?

chrishoke
09-25-2009, 10:58 AM
The Clemson game that year is my all time favorite Duke Football game.

CBDUKE
09-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Mine too! Because it was Clemson, we were not supposed to win, and I had both of my sons with me.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Dilweg and a bowl?
Anthony Dilwig played at Duke 1985-88.

jimsumner
09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Dilweg?

Glad you asked,

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091708aad.html

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Dilweg?

Glad you asked,

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091708aad.html

There were some fine games during the late eighties, weren't there?

Raleighfan
09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
The Clemson game that year is my all time favorite Duke Football game.

That one stands out in my memory also....it was a rainy afternoon, Clemson was up 14-0 at half-time, rain was coming down harder, people started leaving and suddenly Randy Cuthbert caught fire and turned things around. Sitting behind me was a high school classmate who is a Clemson grad/the grandson of a former Clemson president; to say the least, he was not happy with the outcome of the game.

Olympic Fan
09-25-2009, 05:58 PM
That one stands out in my memory also....it was a rainy afternoon, Clemson was up 14-0 at half-time, rain was coming down harder, people started leaving and suddenly Randy Cuthbert caught fire and turned things around. Sitting behind me was a high school classmate who is a Clemson grad/the grandson of a former Clemson president; to say the least, he was not happy with the outcome of the game.

Randy Cuthbert turned the season around with a play early in the second half.

It's important to remember a couple of things. First, Duke was off to a terrible start -- 1-3 after four games, culminating in a 49-28 loss at Virginia that was much worse than the score indicated (Duke scored twice in the closing seconds against the Virginia scrubs). After the game, somebody asked Spurrier about Clemson and he said, "Clemson? We haven't got one chance in a million of beating Clemson."

Again, you have to understand ... Clemson dominated ACC football in the 1980s. They had won five ACC titles in the decade, including the last three in a row. The year before, they beat Duke 49-17. In 1989, they came to Durham 4-0 and ranked No. 7 in the nation. They had beaten FSU at Tallahassee, whipped Virginia Tech 27-7 in Blacksburg and killed Maryland 31-7.

Spurrier's "one in a million" chance looked optimistic before the game. Added to the misery was the steady rain that dampened Spurrier's passing game.

Clemson was up 14-0 at the half and seemed to be in total control. But Duke got an interception and a long return and started driving. The play that changed everything came when QB Billy Ray threw a little swing pass to Cuthbert in the left flat (headed toward the open end of the horseshoe). Cuthbert was a total unknown at that point. He was smacked by a couple of Clemson defenders at the five-yard line. More defenders piled on, until you couldn't see Cuthbert under the pile.

Then an incredible thing happened. The pile began to surge toward the Duke goalline. Cuthbert had help -- offensive tackle Chris Port joined the scrum and pushed with all his might. It was almost like slow motion as Cuthbert carried the pile -- and about eight Clemson defenders -- the final yards into the end zone.

It was like a bolt of lightning had hit Wade Stadium. The last 20 minutes of the game were absolutely amazing. Derrick Jackson, another unknown played, made several key defensive plays down the stretch as Duke rallied to win 21-17 on a late pass from Ray to FB Chris Brown.

Duke was still just 2-3 at that point, but with Cuthbert emerging as the best Duke runner since Steve Jones to balance the passing game, the Duke offense exploded -- 35 points in a win over Army, 48 points in a win at Maryland; 30 points in a victory over Georgia Tech (a year before the Jackets won a share of the national title).

At that point, Duke was 5-3 and 3-1 in the ACC. Because Clemson had beaten Virginia and Georgia Tech had upset Clemson, Duke needed just to beat Wake Forest (en route to a 2-8-1 season), tough NC State (7-2 at that point) and North Carolina (en route to a 1-10 season) to claim at least a share of the ACC title.

But Billy Ray, the transfer from Alabama, was lost -- meaning that freshman Dave Brown had to take over the QB job. His first possession at Winston-Salem was inside the 10-yard line ... on his first play, he threw a 90-plus yard TD pass to Clarkston Hines. Brown ended up throwing for 444 yards -- the fourth best total in Duke history -- as Duke won 52-35.

A week later, Brown outdueled N.C. State's Shane Montgomery in the greatest passing duel in ACC history as Duke won 35-26. In the final week, Brown threw for 479 yards -- still the most in Duke history -- in a 41-0 victory at UNC. The funny thing is, Spurrier later complained that Brown had a lousy day "if he'd been on form, we'd have scored 70," Spurrier later told friends.

I'll remember a lot about that season 20 years ago, but nothing exists more vividly in my mind that Cuthbert carrying the whole damn Clemson team over the goal line.

chrishoke
09-25-2009, 06:53 PM

It's important to remember a couple of things. First, Duke was off to a terrible start -- 1-3 after four games, culminating in a 49-28 loss at Virginia that was much worse than the score indicated (Duke scored twice in the closing seconds against the Virginia scrubs). After the game, somebody asked Spurrier about Clemson and he said, "Clemson? We haven't got one chance in a million of beating Clemson."

Again, you have to understand ... Clemson dominated ACC football in the 1980s. They had won five ACC titles in the decade, including the last three in a row. The year before, they beat Duke 49-17. In 1989, they came to Durham 4-0 and ranked No. 7 in the nation. They had beaten FSU at Tallahassee, whipped Virginia Tech 27-7 in Blacksburg and killed Maryland 31-7.

Spurrier's "one in a million" chance looked optimistic before the game. Added to the misery was the steady rain that dampened Spurrier's passing game.

Clemson was up 14-0 at the half and seemed to be in total control. But Duke got an interception and a long return and started driving. The play that changed everything came when QB Billy Ray threw a little swing pass to Cuthbert in the left flat (headed toward the open end of the horseshoe). Cuthbert was a total unknown at that point. He was smacked by a couple of Clemson defenders at the five-yard line. More defenders piled on, until you couldn't see Cuthbert under the pile.

Then an incredible thing happened. The pile began to surge toward the Duke goalline. Cuthbert had help -- offensive tackle Chris Port joined the scrum and pushed with all his might. It was almost like slow motion as Cuthbert carried the pile -- and about eight Clemson defenders -- the final yards into the end zone.

It was like a bolt of lightning had hit Wade Stadium. The last 20 minutes of the game were absolutely amazing. Derrick Jackson, another unknown played, made several key defensive plays down the stretch as Duke rallied to win 21-17 on a late pass from Ray to FB Chris Brown.

Duke was still just 2-3 at that point, but with Cuthbert emerging as the best Duke runner since Steve Jones to balance the passing game, the Duke offense exploded -- 35 points in a win over Army, 48 points in a win at Maryland; 30 points in a victory over Georgia Tech (a year before the Jackets won a share of the national title).

At that point, Duke was 5-3 and 3-1 in the ACC. Because Clemson had beaten Virginia and Georgia Tech had upset Clemson, Duke needed just to beat Wake Forest (en route to a 2-8-1 season), tough NC State (7-2 at that point) and North Carolina (en route to a 1-10 season) to claim at least a share of the ACC title.

But Billy Ray, the transfer from Alabama, was lost -- meaning that freshman Dave Brown had to take over the QB job. His first possession at Winston-Salem was inside the 10-yard line ... on his first play, he threw a 90-plus yard TD pass to Clarkston Hines. Brown ended up throwing for 444 yards -- the fourth best total in Duke history -- as Duke won 52-35.

A week later, Brown outdueled N.C. State's Shane Montgomery in the greatest passing duel in ACC history as Duke won 35-26. In the final week, Brown threw for 479 yards -- still the most in Duke history -- in a 41-0 victory at UNC. The funny thing is, Spurrier later complained that Brown had a lousy day "if he'd been on form, we'd have scored 70," Spurrier later told friends.

I'll remember a lot about that season 20 years ago, but nothing exists more vividly in my mind that Cuthbert carrying the whole damn Clemson team over the goal line.

Great summary. As i recall, Clemson got a BS call that helped them eek out a long field goal to take a 17-14 lead.

Derick Jackson - I had forgotten his name - skinny #13 was all over the field.

jimsumner
09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
"As i recall, Clemson got a BS call that helped them eek out a long field goal to take a 17-14 lead."

Clemson was actually called for a penalty on third down that would have taken them out of field-goal range. But it still would have been third down. Spurrier declined the penalty under the assumption that Clemson would punt rather than try a long field goal in the rain. Instead Chris Gardocki nailed a fifty-yarder.

Bob Green
09-25-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanks for a great post. This type of meaningful dialogue is what makes DBR a great message board. We need more post like yours and less inane one liners.

As far as your description of Randy Cuthbert, it would be really great to see a current player step up and propel the 2009 Blue Devils to multiple ACC victories. There are several candidates in my mind but I'll refrain from listing them as I do not want to hijack this thread about the 1989 Blue Devils into a discussion of the 2009 Blue Devils.

Thanks again!

verga
09-27-2009, 12:45 AM
i was at Kenan Stadium for that 41-0 blow out. What i remember most, of course, is the team posing for photos under the scoreboard. I believe the unc faithfull really disliked that. I also remember that unc could not find a qb and it showed in the way they played that day. I loved Spurrier and the attitude he brought, not for the faint hearted but if you were a Duke fan, you had to love it. It was nice to sit in the rain and see them honored.

6th Man
09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
That photo may not have been the greatest idea ever. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Duke has beaten UNC one time since that game.

superdave
09-27-2009, 07:13 PM
http://sportsbybrooks.com/steve-spurrier-not-a-welcome-sight-to-north-carolina-football-fans-14244

There's Clarkston Hines (#12) sitting in front I believe. I think Chuckie Burnette, the UNC QB, completed as many passes to the Duke secondary (6) as he did to the UNC receivers. Wish I could find a picture of the Kenan scoreboard from that day.

Cuthbert was a beast that game and Clarkston Hines had a big year. I think between UNC and Clemson fans, 1989 never happened. UNC fans also deny 8-20 happened - good thing we're all here to remind them.

Newton_14
09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I need a bit of help with this one..

but wasn't it the 41-0 game over the holes where Spurrier was asked after the game why he went for 2 after a late touchdown when the game was way out of hand, and he replied "Because they would not let me go for 3!"

I think it was that game, can someone confirm?

NashvilleDevil
09-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Woody Hayes used that line after the 1968 Michigan game when the Buckeyes were up by about 5 TDs. Growing up in Ohio I don't know how many times I had to hear that story and that is one of the reasons why I went to Nebraska.