PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 49, North Carolina Central 14

Hancock 4 Duke
09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah, I can't wait for the game on saturday! Who else will be there? Discuss anything and everything here.

Indoor66
09-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Oh yeah, I can't wait for the game on saturday! Who else will be there? Discuss anything and everything here.

Except matters appropriate for the "old" PPB...! :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-24-2009, 10:34 PM

I'll be there for the game and for the tailgate beforehand as well.

Are you going to be there early enough for the Devil Walk?

Hancock 4 Duke
09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't know, we expect to get up there about 11, go to Divines, and then go and tailgate, so I'm not sure.

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2009, 01:41 AM
We'll be there at tent #8 on Devil's Alley. From 9am on!

ironduke2009
09-25-2009, 08:26 AM
I am bringing the whole family to the game, and will meet the in-laws there as well. We'll be tailgating in the lot adjacent to the soccer stadium. We are looking forward to it, this is our first game of the year.

Hancock 4 Duke
09-25-2009, 10:16 AM
We'll be there at tent #8 on Devil's Alley. From 9am on!

Where is Devil's Alley?? We are going to be tailgating between Cameron and Wallace Wade, if that is it

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Where is Devil's Alley?? We are going to be tailgating between Cameron and Wallace Wade, if that is it
Good luck parking there!:eek:
I think you mean where we are at, which is in the Card Gym lot. Devil's Alley is along the sidewalk that runs from campus to Cameron leading to Wallace Wade. The team waks there on their way to the locker room. Thus it is called The Devil's Walk.

Hancock 4 Duke
09-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Ok, we are going to be with my dad's friend from Duke, who happens to be a former coach at a High school in Durham, so he can park right up close with his coaches pass. We are most likely going to walk right past all of you on our way up there.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Ok, we are going to be with my dad's friend from Duke, who happens to be a former coach at a High school in Durham, so he can park right up close with his coaches pass. We are most likely going to walk right past all of you on our way up there.

Where did he coach in Durham? I used to work there and might know him!

Acymetric
09-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Ok, I'm trying to get the game to work on inside access with no luck...in fact inside access isn't really working at all. The site loads, but shows no events to choose from no matter what I do, has anyone had any luck with this?

Indoor66
09-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Ok, I'm trying to get the game to work on inside access with no luck...in fact inside access isn't really working at all. The site loads, but shows no events to choose from no matter what I do, has anyone had any luck with this?

It might be too early for the broadcast.

mickeysgotagun
09-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Hope Duke does good, someone from my high school who's being recruited by Duke will be there talking to the coaches. I told him to commit on the spot ;)

SharkD
09-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Between the cold rain and recovering from a week spent suffering from the swine flu (really), my wife and I decided to skip this one. I have a feeling that attendance is going to be waaay down with the miserable weather. :(

throatybeard
09-26-2009, 07:10 PM
It's not even remotely cold, much less "miserably" cold. It's 67 at RDU. Swine flu is one thing but if [healthy] local people are skipping this because of the weather, that is unbelievably pathetic. All day I've been watching it pour in Starkville, Atlanta, Athens, Blacksburg. And the stands are filled.

SharkD
09-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Looks like the live stats page (http://www.goduke.com/newLiveStats/Football/index.html?GAME_STAT_ID=448556&db_oem_id=4200) isn't working... For a change, WDNC is coming in strong at the moment.

1Q -- 12:33 to play -- Duke 7 | NCCU 0

FireOgilvie
09-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Listen to the game here online:

http://www.wsfl.com/

Good to see Desmond Scott starting, and starting well. He had two big runs to start the game and fielded the kick-off for a big gain.

Duke TD! 7-0. Kurunwune ran it in.

SharkD
09-26-2009, 07:16 PM
It's not even remotely cold, much less "miserably" cold. It's 67 at RDU. Swine flu is one thing but if [healthy] local people are skipping this because of the weather, that is unbelievably pathetic. All day I've been watching it pour in Starkville, Atlanta, Athens, Blacksburg. And the stands are filled.

So, I'm a wuss. After being sick for 7 days, along with my wife, and trying to cope with an 8-month-old, who also had H1N1 for the last week, I think I'm entitled to a little wussiness.

(And it feels cold outside, even if it isn't actually -- besides, everyone knows the weather at kRDU is in no way indicative of the weather in Durham.)

FireOgilvie
09-26-2009, 07:34 PM
This game is already heading towards a blowout and it's only 14-0. NC Central can't stop us on defense and they can't do anything on offense. It's not surprising though as NC Central is already 0-3 this year versus Div 1-AA teams. It's too bad this game doesn't help us at all as far as bowl game qualification.

Make that 21-0.

throatybeard
09-26-2009, 07:36 PM
So, I'm a wuss. After being sick for 7 days, along with my wife, and trying to cope with an 8-month-old, who also had H1N1 for the last week, I think I'm entitled to a little wussiness.

(And it feels cold outside, even if it isn't actually -- besides, everyone knows the weather at kRDU is in no way indicative of the weather in Durham.)

I'm not calling you a wuss--you've clearly got a situation there.

I'm saying that if we have a lousy turnout overall, for Homecoming, because of some rain and temperatures in the 60s, which aren't even remotely cold, we deserve our reputation as having the worst football atmosphere in the ACC. (And probably all of the BCS conferences).

FireOgilvie
09-26-2009, 07:56 PM
This game is already heading towards a blowout and it's only 14-0. NC Central can't stop us on defense and they can't do anything on offense. It's not surprising though as NC Central is already 0-3 this year versus Div 1-AA teams. It's too bad this game doesn't help us at all as far as bowl game qualification.

Make that 21-0.

I spoke too soon. I should have known that we'd find a way to blow it. Lewis gets injured, Renfree comes in and gets hit as he throws, intercepted for a TD. 21-14. We've got a game again.

AtlBluRew
09-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I am "watching" on Gamecast on espn.com. I saw that we called timeout with about a minute to go in the second Q on 4th and 4, so I looked at other pages and expected to come back and see we had kicked a FG.

Instead, I see we scored a TD and lead 28-14!!! What play did we run? And kudos to Coach Cut for going for it.

Truth
09-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I am "watching" on Gamecast on espn.com. I saw that we called timeout with about a minute to go in the second Q on 4th and 4, so I looked at other pages and expected to come back and see we had kicked a FG.

Instead, I see we scored a TD and lead 28-14!!! What play did we run? And kudos to Coach Cut for going for it.

It was a 4th and 4 from the 33 or so, so it would've been a long FG attempt. The play itself was rather routine (aside from the clutchness of it being 4th down) - Lewis hit Johnny Williams on a crossing route (left to right) over the middle.

The play resulted in a 1st down with the TD coming after subsequent plays...

Bob Green
09-26-2009, 08:41 PM
What play did we run?

Thad Lewis to Johnny Williams over the middle for a 12 yard gain.

Highlander
09-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Duke just drove the nail into the coffin, folks. Duke punts, NCCU fumbles, and Vinny Rey picks up the fumble and rumbles in for a TD. 42-14 Duke with 4 min to go in the 3rd quarter.

NCCU has scored twice, once on a drive set up by a 50+ yard pass play and the second time on an 83 yard Renfree INT return. Other than that, Duke's dominated both sides of the game.

Looks like Lewis's night is done and Renfree is back in. Duke may have two 100 yard rushers before this thing is over (Kurunwune has 85+ and Scott just went over 100). When's the last time THAT'S happened?

Nice game boys. Nice game.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I hope Kyrie is enjoying the game

throatybeard
09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm proud of you, Central, and Ima let you finish the game. But Duke is one of the best Durham school of ALL TIME!

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-26-2009, 09:33 PM
HAHAHA good ol' Kanye

DukeSean
09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
It's too bad this game doesn't help us at all as far as bowl game qualification.

Explain to me why this game against NCCU wouldn't help us qualify for a bowl game, considering we lost to Richmond? If we had beaten Richmond I would agree...

Bob Green
09-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Explain to me why this game against NCCU wouldn't help us qualify for a bowl game, considering we lost to Richmond? If we had beaten Richmond I would agree...

Because of the number of scholarship players NCCU has on their roster. NCCU doesn't have the minimum required for a FBS school to count a victory against them toward the required six victories. We need five more victories to qualify.

DukeSean
09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Because of the number of scholarship players NCCU has on their roster. NCCU doesn't have the minimum required for a FBS school to count a victory against them toward the required six victories. We need five more victories to qualify.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-26-2009, 11:49 PM

I'm saying that if we have a lousy turnout overall, for Homecoming, because of some rain and temperatures in the 60s, which aren't even remotely cold, we deserve our reputation as having the worst football atmosphere in the ACC. (And probably all of the BCS conferences).

I was there from 3:30P on. The temperature was just above 60 degrees with a steady rain and brisk wind making it feel much colder. I wore a rain suit and a poncho in an attempt to avoid get soaked. My binoculars became useless as the rain became heavier.

Despite the poor conditions, the stadium was filled in the sections with reserved seating; the general admission sections were more sparsely populated.

jlear
09-26-2009, 11:57 PM

Do the stats count? I don't think they should since this game was no different than the pre-season scrimmages the basketball team has.

jlear
09-27-2009, 12:04 AM

I skipped the game because of the quality of the opponent, but I made sure Duke fans had our tickets and we enjoyed the NCSU game at Carter Finley. We will be back next week for VA Tech.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-27-2009, 12:48 AM
It's become pretty obvious that Cutcliffe is doing all he can to develop the local fan base, and tonight didn't hurt.

It was a super night for Durham. Both of its schools put on a show. Fans from both sides filled the stands and enjoyed the evening together. The half-time show put on by both bands was lots of fun. And the fact that everybody in the stands could delight in Desmond Scott's performance was a definite plus.

It was the way it should be. Whoever decided this game should be scheduled should be congratulated for doing a civic service.

Now I have to go wring out my socks and underwear!

Love, Ima

airowe
09-27-2009, 12:56 AM
It's become pretty obvious that Cutcliffe is doing all he can to develop the local fan base, and tonight didn't hurt.

It was a super night for Durham. Both of its schools put on a show. Fans from both sides filled the stands and enjoyed the evening together. The half-time show put on by both bands was lots of fun. And the fact that everybody in the stands could delight in Desmond Scott's performance was a definite plus.

It was the way it should be. Whoever decided this game should be scheduled should be congratulated for doing a civic service.

Love, Ima

Desmond Scott was impressive.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Official attendance: 26,390

CameronBornAndBred
09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Check out Ozzie's prediction for the game, along with an interview with crazie towel guy.
http://news14.com/triangle-news-30-content/top_stories/615256/universities-compete-in-bull-city-gridiron-classic

devildeac
09-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Official attendance: 26,390

That's good, considering the weather for the day. Not miserable but just not a lotta fun to endure. BUT, we were there until 0:00 at the end of the 4th Q.

allenmurray
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Love, Ima

I broke my own longstanding rule on Saturday - I NEVER sell my extra tickets to anyone from the opposng team - I usually give them away to a Duke fan instead. I sold my extra two tickets to two NCCU fans (for a pittance). Wolfpackdevil and I enjoyed the game; I sold my two extras (mrsallenmurray and littlestmurrayfamilymember were not going to sit through the rain). I sold them to two brothers who were NCCU alumni. They were gracious, funny, and having a great time despite the score. I was glad to have them in WWade and sitting near me (at least for the first few minutes until they migrated to sit with some other NCCU fans). Despite the weather it was a great night.

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Despite the weather it was a great night.
I was thinking while getting drenched at half time that there were still more fans in the stands at that point in time than the great weather we had during the Richmond game. And yes, we were losing to Richmond, but the game was by no means over or out of reach.
It was great to see the fans from both sides get soaked and watch the teams for as long as they could hold out.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I was thinking while getting drenched at half time that there were still more fans in the stands at that point in time than the great weather we had during the Richmond game. And yes, we were losing to Richmond, but the game was by no means over or out of reach.
It was great to see the fans from both sides get soaked and watch the teams for as long as they could hold out.

You know, you could make the same sort of observation about attendance for several seasons before Coach Cutliffe arrived on the scene...... great weather, minuscule crowds. This is definitely a new era!

sagegrouse
09-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I was there from 3:30P on. The temperature was just above 60 degrees with a steady rain and brisk wind making it feel much colder. I wore a rain suit and a poncho in an attempt to avoid get soaked.

I hope you do not disillusion me [see note below] -- but surely, surely you were wearing the blue dress under the poncho and rain suit?

sagegrouse
'Note: Can disillusion be a transitive verb, or is it one of those half-verbs always destined to be a past participle? This comment is in remembrance of William Safire's life and death'

airowe
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
For those of you who probably know a lot more about Duke Football than me, I was at the first half of the game on Saturday and was amazed at Desmond Scott's talent. Even if Boyette, Hollinsworth, and Kurunwune are healthy, is there reason to believe Scott will remain the starter? He seems too good to keep on the bench...

Duvall
09-28-2009, 03:08 PM
For those of you who probably know a lot more about Duke Football than me, I was at the first half of the game on Saturday and was amazed at Desmond Scott's talent. Even if Boyette, Hollinsworth, and Kurunwune are healthy, is there reason to believe Scott will remain the starter? He seems too good to keep on the bench...

Scott looked good, but it was NCCU. Let's see how he looks against VPI before drawing too many conclusions.

billy
09-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Check out the "slideshow" in the Herald Sun writeup - second picture (ran on front page of the Sunday Herald Sun) is of my daughter Kate and me giving Cut a low five as he and the players walked down "Blue Devil Alley" in front of our tent:

http://www.heraldsun.com/pages/full_story_news_durham/push?article--A+LONG+TIME+IN+COMING-%20&id=3722508--A+LONG+TIME+IN+COMING-&instance=main_article2

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I hope you do not disillusion me [see note below] -- but surely, surely you were wearing the blue dress under the poncho and rain suit?

sagegrouse
'Note: Can disillusion be a transitive verb, or is it one of those half-verbs always destined to be a past participle? This comment is in remembrance of William Safire's life and death'

In view of the weather conditions, I was wearing my blinking Blue Devil's horns ..... a safety measure considering the mist and drizzle.