PDA

View Full Version : Goodman: Top 20 Backcourts

shoutingncu
09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Food for thought (kind of an anti-Bleacher Report):

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10107084/The-country

Definitely think Villanova is too low. I won't comment about the omission(s), but at least Greivis gets some love.

DukeBlood
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Food for thought (kind of an anti-Bleacher Report):

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10107084/The-country

Definitely think Villanova is too low. I won't comment about the omission(s), but at least Greivis gets some love.

While I don't think Duke is a Top-10 Backcourt in the nation, they are in the 10-15 range. I would put them ahead of any of the last five teams. Personally feel like the lack of a "True PG" in the eyes of some(mainly this writer) would be the reason to leave Duke off the Top-20. This writer counts in Freshman, Well.. What about Dawkins?

I know my shades are Duke Blue(not as much as others though), but Really? Anyone agree with me?

FireOgilvie
09-24-2009, 09:08 PM
The article is completely inconsistent. Freshman are included, but shooting guard Xavier Henry is apparently missing (and KU still gets a number 2 ranking). Singler is now a part of Duke's backcourt, but I'm guessing was ignored for this ranking, even though SF Evan Turner is included for Ohio State. I think by "backcourt," Goodman means "point guard and any shooting guard under 6'5," except Evan Turner." It doesn't make any sense. Also, Villanova at 10 is a joke. They are probably more like 2-3, while Michigan State doesn't seem like they should even be in the top 4, let alone number 1. I don't get it.

dukemsu
09-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Wall will likely make this list totally irrelevant.

Kind of a silly list. Much as I admire the Spartan backcourt, I wouldn't put them ahead of UK or Texas. I think they are a push with Villlanova.

dukemsu

crimsonandblue
09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
It's an odd list. It looks like they're just doing 1s and 2s, so maybe that's the justification for excluding Duke and not listing Xavier Henry. But then, you've got Dom Cheek at Nova, who's more a three than two. It's probably hard to assemble a list of what constitutes each team's backcourt, but I'm not going to cut Goodman much slack. He's basically carries water for Kentucky and pretends to have a national bent.

But if he wants to be truly accurate, Kansas also has Tyrel Reed and Travis Releford under most definitions of backcourt.

Lists. Fun to argue. Of basically no value.

Azdukefan
09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Scheyer, Smith, Dawkins, and Singler? How they did not make the lists blows my mind (even if Kyle is not factored into the equation).

DevilDan
09-25-2009, 02:25 AM
A pretty good way for this writer to kill time and fill space, while waiting for the SEASON to START.... I JOIN him in the latter activity.

I'm going to Borders tomorrow morning to see if the HOOP MAGS are up yet ... more and more, I think this is a DUKE team that is going to surprise a lot of people across the country.

It may not be as athletic, but I believe it will play smart, efficient basketball under Coach K. I imagine guys like JON and KYLE are saying to the rookies "Do what he says" ... HELL, I WOULD ! ! GO DUKE !

flyingdutchdevil
09-25-2009, 06:04 AM
I think you have to look at this list in the eyes of a neutral bystander rather than a Dukie's eyes (my eyes are definitely tainted, that's for sure!).

There are a lot of reasons why Goodman didn't include us, legitimate or not:

1) Duke doesn't have a true PG. The vast majority of these teams have a true PG.
2) Duke lost over 50% of its backcourt over the summer, including its best player.
3) Smith digressed as the last season went on (he came back strong during the ACC Tourney and a first two games of the NCAAs, but many feel that he still digressed).
4) Despite Dawkins's high rating for the 2010 class, he wasn't as highly rated for the 2009 class. Plus, in the eyes of most, Dawkins is still a high school senior rather than a college freshman.
5) While we may view Singler as part of the backcourt (I personally don't), Goodman does not. Singler, to him, is a wing forward.
6) There is so little depth to Duke's backcourt. Can someone name another Div 1 school with three players for the first two positions? That's really thin...

While I think the trio of Scheyer, Smith and Dre Doc are indeed in the top 20, Goodman doesn't. Don't take in personally - as someone else said, they're only rankings.