PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Cut's press conference, 9-22

jimsumner
09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
In case you haven't heard, Desmond Scott will play this Saturday. Duke is beat up at RB but Cut insists that Scott has earned the right to play in practice. He may be used as a kick returner but definitely will be used at RB.

Lewis will start at QB.

Cut singled out John Drew for praise. "real pleased."

Cut variously described himself as frustrated, angry, and surprised by the season so far. Says Duke is practicing well but hasn't carried that over into games. Too many errors, too much inconsistency. Says Duke is not a good football team at this point.

Particularly concerned with poor 3rd-down execution. One solution is to have fewer third and longs.

Offensive line is improving and "busting their tails off" to get better. Improvements in toughness and recognizing what is going on in a play.

Captains for Saturday-Lewis, Holt, Rucker, Rey.

Duke expects a big crowd. Lots going on. Arrive early, stay late.

RelativeWays
09-22-2009, 03:03 PM
We'll win this one for sure but there are concerns after this. We have VT, Miami UMD and State this month I believe. UMD is the only team I feel confident against and I think Miami and VT will Manhatten Project us, who knows about State now, but I think they're a bit more together than Duke is at this point.

I don't know how I feel about burning Scott's redshirt. I had kind of resigned myself to taking lumps this year for being better the next. Injuries are piling up early and it could be a rough couple of months for Duke. If we finish 4-8 or 5-7 we might should be dancing in the streets.

pbc2
09-22-2009, 03:52 PM
We'll win this one for sure but there are concerns after this. We have VT, Miami UMD and State this month I believe. UMD is the only team I feel confident against and I think Miami and VT will Manhatten Project us, who knows about State now, but I think they're a bit more together than Duke is at this point.

I don't know how I feel about burning Scott's redshirt. I had kind of resigned myself to taking lumps this year for being better the next. Injuries are piling up early and it could be a rough couple of months for Duke. If we finish 4-8 or 5-7 we might should be dancing in the streets.

I think the talent and coaching is there to pull of an ACC upset if we can get healthy and execute. Agreed, that a 4 or 5 win season would be a good finish.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-22-2009, 04:06 PM
In case you haven't heard, Desmond Scott will play this Saturday. Duke is beat up at RB but Cut insists that Scott has earned the right to play in practice. He may be used as a kick returner but definitely will be used at RB.

Lewis will start at QB.

Cut singled out John Drew for praise. "real pleased."

Cut variously described himself as frustrated, angry, and surprised by the season so far. Says Duke is practicing well but hasn't carried that over into games. Too many errors, too much inconsistency. Says Duke is not a good football team at this point.

Particularly concerned with poor 3rd-down execution. One solution is to have fewer third and longs.

Offensive line is improving and "busting their tails off" to get better. Improvements in toughness and recognizing what is going on in a play.

Captains for Saturday-Lewis, Holt, Rucker, Rey.

Duke expects a big crowd. Lots going on. Arrive early, stay late.

Thanks for passing this information on, Jim. Information from the press conferences and other such events helps feel closer to the team and what's going on with them week to week.

I know there are those who wanted to save Desmond Scott for the future, but I continue to believe that Coach Cutcliffe has a clear view of what needs to be done to move into better play..... even when the team doesn't perform as he or they expected, he seems very adroit at taking a new look and adjusting to the realities on the field. The frustrations the fans are feeling are not likely to match those of the coaches and players in intensity and desire for more and better results sooner.

Saturday's another chance to get better, faster and stronger.

RelativeWays
09-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Saturday should be a day to rest our hurt players. Our 3rd string should destroy central, it should not be a close game at all. VT....I'll be in attendance but I'll be looking forward to it like a trip to the dentist office.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the report, Jim.

And, let's take care of Saturday before worrying about VT. I hope we improve on some of the fundamental aspects that are behind schedule right now, and that we come out with a healthy team and a solid result. But nothing is a given.

Wander
09-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I like the decision to play Scott. Redshirts are often useful, but if there's an obvious part of your team that's exceptionally weak and you have a talented freshman for that position, it makes sense to use him. I highly doubt we'll need Scott more in 2013 than we do in 2009.

It's also a good time because of the strength of the opponent. We should have the entire second half to play an "exhibition" and just practice our running game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-22-2009, 05:20 PM
This season has already demonstrated that it's not very predictable.

NCCU is transitioning into Division I and has nothing to lose in this contest. I can't agree with the notion of taking their team for granted.