PDA

View Full Version : DeCourcy ranks Scheyer #8 among nation's pointguards

BD80
09-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Ranked #8 ahead of Corey Fisher, Villanova. and Shelvin Mack, Butler.

Couldn't find a Carolina player on the list.

Wall is #2.

jesus_hurley
09-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Ranked #8 ahead of Corey Fisher, Villanova. and Shelvin Mack, Butler.

Couldn't find a Carolina player on the list.

Wall is #2.

I saw this tonight as well. Here's the link:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-09-21/college-basketballs-top-10-point-guards

ChicagoCrazy84
09-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Not a bad list. No Greivis Vazques though? I think Downey should be ahead of Lucas, and I think that Mack should be ahead of Scheyer, but I can't necessarily disagree with the 10 that are up there.

Azdukefan
09-22-2009, 12:25 AM
The thing I love the most are the responses with almost all of them spewing Duke hate. I happen to love being hated as a Dukie, that means we are doing our job (winning games). Bring it on suckers!!!!!

Azdukefan
09-22-2009, 12:27 AM
I am pissed off too! Having Scheyer not in the top five as a pg and sg is the real travesty here. Decourcy is way off base here, he must hate us as well (calm down, I am being completely sarcastic)! Go Duke!

FireOgilvie
09-22-2009, 12:43 AM
That's a pretty sad little list there, especially compared to last year. Vasquez is an obvious omission. We lost these guys in the NBA Draft:

1.Ty Lawson
2. Johnny Flynn
3. Stephen Curry
4. Jeff Teague
5. Nick Calathes
6. Tyreke Evans
7. Darren Collison
8. Eric Maynor
9. Jrue Holiday
10. AJ Price
11. Patrick Mills

Also, Levance Fields, who wasn't drafted.

InSpades
09-22-2009, 12:56 AM
It's too bad Scheyer wasn't #3 or higher though. That would have made all the difference.

gep
09-22-2009, 03:29 AM
I am pissed off too! Having Scheyer not in the top five as a pg and sg is the real travesty here.

Wait a bit, while I "think"... DeCourcy specifically says "top 10 point guards". So, don't we as fans have a bit of a problem with Scheyer as a PG... but if he's a top-10 PG, isn't that a good thing?:rolleyes:

airowe
09-22-2009, 08:15 AM
For a guy who's only played PG for half a season in college, I'd say Scheyer has received some pretty high praise here.

And deservedly so, IMO.

If he keeps his AST-TO Ratio like it was last year, he may just move up the rankings as the year goes on. We know he can create his shot, but with our size this year, I could see him working off a lot of screens and getting in the lane with the opportunity to kick it out to Andre, Nolan, Kyle, or Ryan,or just throw it up to MP1, MP2, Zoubs, or Lance.

Plus, I'm too lazy to do this, but I wonder how Scheyer (6'5") compares height-wise to the rest of the guys on this list or the guys we'll face.

flyingdutchdevil
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
How is there no Greivis Vazques? As much as I dislike him, and no offense to Scheyer, but IMO Vazques is the best PG in the ACC. His numbers are great, he can lead a team, score at will, etc... his turnovers are a little high and he is a little inconsistent, but this description fits a lot of players (remember Scheyer last year when he was a SG?). Vazques was clearly screwed over by not being on the list.

ACCBBallFan
09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
How is there no Greivis Vazques? As much as I dislike him, and no offense to Scheyer, but IMO Vazques is the best PG in the ACC. His numbers are great, he can lead a team, score at will, etc... his turnovers are a little high and he is a little inconsistent, but this description fits a lot of players (remember Scheyer last year when he was a SG?). Vazques was clearly screwed over by not being on the list.Mystery solved on omission of Vasquez and Scottie Reynolds.

DeCourcy ranked them both as SG's with in MD case fellow senior Eric Hayes the PG

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090922/?sub_id=Ca3uAeJwRIwed&folio=43

BlueintheFace
09-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Landesberg missing... I'm thinking All-ACC 1st team is within reach for him... if the team can manage middle of the pack (which is a stretch)

Azdukefan
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Wait a bit, while I "think"... DeCourcy specifically says "top 10 point guards". So, don't we as fans have a bit of a problem with Scheyer as a PG... but if he's a top-10 PG, isn't that a good thing?:rolleyes:

It is a good thing but to think that Jon is going to be the lead ballhandler all the time is unlikely. There is a reason we went after John Wall (Jon Scheyer is a natural SG and therefore I think he would rank high (if not higher) on that list. I happen to believe Vasquez is more of a natural point but is on the SG list and the ball is in his hands 80 percent of the time.

Necessity has Jon running the point. Similar to how a running back runs the "wildcat," Jon is a SG running the point. Truly I was just trying to be funny (but that obviously did not work). Just my take!:cool:

miramar
09-22-2009, 12:30 PM
After the debacle vs. Nova, the conventional wisdom seemed to be that Scheyer wasn't athletic enough to play the point, so I am glad to see him get some positive publicity for a change. Despite the way the season ended, Duke went into that game 10-1 with Scheyer at PG (if IIRC), so he must have been doing something right.

rsvman
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Wait a minute!

I thought Duke didn't have a point guard.....:confused:;)