PDA

View Full Version : Singler the Leader (main page)

NovaScotian
09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
was it just me, or was that article really lousy? what was the message - singler will be good this year? thanks for the insight, guy.

Kedsy
09-21-2009, 10:57 PM
was it just me, or was that article really lousy? what was the message - singler will be good this year? thanks for the insight, guy.

Two words: Bleacher Report.

Greg_Newton
09-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Lol. Good ol' BP. I especially liked the paragraph explaining how Singler will be the vocal leader while Scheyer will be the quieter, lead-by-example type. Pretty sure he got that one backwards...

slower
09-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Lol. Good ol' BP. I especially liked the paragraph explaining how Singler will be the vocal leader while Scheyer will be the quieter, lead-by-example type. Pretty sure he got that one backwards...

that Kyle Singler may leave Duke without ever being a team captain. But then again, I'm not familiar with how many of Duke's other great players were captains. I will now go and do my research. ;)

Research note: So far, with the exception of Brand (who left very early), EVERY great Duke player of the past 25 years has been a captain. But I'm still checking to see if most were not named captain until their senior year.

Second research note: Ferry, Hurley, Laettner, Grant and Shelden were captains as seniors. J-Will, Boozer and Dunleavy were juniors (and they all left after their junior year). Shane and JJ were captain both years.

(Source: GoDuke.com)

Indoor66
09-22-2009, 08:24 AM
that Kyle Singler may leave Duke without ever being a team captain. But then again, I'm not familiar with how many of Duke's other great players were captains. I will now go and do my research. ;)

Research note: So far, with the exception of Brand (who left early), EVERY great Duke player of the past 20 years has been a captain. But I'm still checking to see if most were not named captain until their senior year.

What does it matter?

slower
09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
What does it matter?

What does WHAT matter? Kyle being a captain or not being named captain until he's a senior?

ACCBBallFan
09-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Research note: So far, with the exception of Brand (who left very early), EVERY great Duke player of the past 25 years has been a captain. But I'm still checking to see if most were not named captain until their senior year.

Second research note: Ferry, Hurley, Laettner, Grant and Shelden were captains as seniors. J-Will, Boozer and Dunleavy were juniors (and they all left after their junior year). Shane and JJ were captain both years.

(Source: GoDuke.com)
I see where the poster is going. Implying that Kyle Singler may have given some indication he is staying or coach K would have named him a captain during his junior year like Gerald Henderson, Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer and Mike Dunleavy.

I too think Kyle may stay, not so much for that reason but it does add to my rationale, but more to cement his legacy as he moves up on all time Duke and ACC records this year, kind of like JJ and Tyler Hansbrough stayed.

Getting Irving and Barnes and having a decent NCAA showing that gives hope for next year would also be contributing factors. Having two seniors in Singler and Smith next year would help that high octane group whose only other upperclassmen would be Miles and Olek, though Curry would be in his third year academically.

slower
09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
What does it matter?

Just expressing an opinion, my friend. Like much of the other discourse on this board, it doesn't really "matter".

I just happen to think that Singler is worthy of being a captain. The guy has been a warrior and a stud from Day One.

If it's not in his makeup/personality to be a captain, so be it. If he or the coaches feel that the captaincy would detract from his on-court performance, I'm cool with that.

Or if they truly feel that he's not as good of a choice as Jon (who's an absolute no-brainer choice) and Lance, that's okay, too.

But if Kyle does indeed stay for his senior year (please, God, make it so!), he is, of course, a mortal lock to be a captain.

airowe
09-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I see where the poster is going. Implying that Kyle Singler may have given some indication he is staying or coach K would have named him a captain during his junior year like Gerald Henderson, Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer and Mike Dunleavy.

I too think Kyle may stay, not so much for that reason but it does add to my rationale, but more to cement his legacy as he moves up on all time Duke and ACC records this year, kind of like JJ and Tyler Hansbrough stayed.

Getting Irving and Barnes and having a decent NCAA showing that gives hope for next year would also be contributing factors. Having two seniors in Singler and Smith next year would help that high octane group whose only other upperclassmen would be Miles and Olek, though Curry would be in his third year academically.

How many non-Seniors have been Captains at Duke under K?

slower
09-22-2009, 09:29 AM
How many non-Seniors have been Captains at Duke under K?

You can go to the GoDuke.com site and check it out. I've used up my "research time" quota for the day! :D

airowe
09-22-2009, 09:37 AM
You can go to the GoDuke.com site and check it out. I've used up my "research time" quota for the day! :D

Darn. Thought I could get someone to do it for me. ;)

GoDuke.com is not Blackberry friendly.

duketaylor
09-22-2009, 07:24 PM
"slower" posted it previously,
Gerald Henderson, Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer and Mike Dunleavy.