PDA

View Full Version : Darwin movie

Jim3k
09-21-2009, 01:57 AM
can't find a US distributor. (http://www.cinematical.com/2009/09/14/tiff-creation-finds-no-distribution-hopes-for-controversy-to/?icid=webmail|wbml-aim|dl6|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cinematical.com%2F2 009%2F09%2F14%2Ftiff-creation-finds-no-distribution-hopes-for-controversy-to%2F)

Apparently it's too much of a bio-pic and not exciting enough. See the trailer

But the link allows you to vote -- not that anyone will pay attention.

UVaAmbassador
09-21-2009, 02:58 AM
can't find a US distributor. (http://www.cinematical.com/2009/09/14/tiff-creation-finds-no-distribution-hopes-for-controversy-to/?icid=webmail|wbml-aim|dl6|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cinematical.com%2F2 009%2F09%2F14%2Ftiff-creation-finds-no-distribution-hopes-for-controversy-to%2F)

Apparently it's too much of a bio-pic and not exciting enough. See the trailer

But the link allows you to vote -- not that anyone will pay attention.

I noticed that its an Icon Production film, which is Mel Gibson's company. Either Messr. Gibson's had a pretty radical change of heart or the movie doesn't have the message you expect.

How long till this is moved to the PPB?

Olympic Fan
09-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I noticed that its an Icon Production film, which is Mel Gibson's company. Either Messr. Gibson's had a pretty radical change of heart or the movie doesn't have the message you expect.

How long till this is moved to the PPB?

Fascinating to read the comments section of the story linked in the first post (which turns into a full evoluation/creationism debate), although from the reviews I read, the film focuses more on the doubts and concerns that his theories caused Darwin than with the validity of his ideas. It doesn't seem like the film has a POV in the evolution/creationist debate.

From Rich Cline's review:

"Based on Annie's Box, Randal Keynes biography of his great-great-grandfather, the film keeps the story intensely personal, focussing on Darwin's internal quandary. Collee's script cleverly weaves together events over two decades, mainly in the years before On the Origin of Species was published in 1859, but also including glimpses of Darwin's earlier experiences on the Beagle expedition, which gave him the spark of an idea for his theory.

"It's a delicate balancing job that really pays off dramatically, focussing tightly on the characters as they deal with the growing storm of potential controversy around them. In this sense, it's a remarkably strong examination of a resilient marriage, and it's beautifully played by both Bettany and Connelly, who channel their real-life relationship into something both playful and darkly shaded on-screen. "

I am anxious to see "Creation" when I get the chance -- either in a theater or on DVD.

I think Michael Apted's 2006 film "Amazing Grace" has a similar distribution problem, despite an A-list director and some big-name stars (Albert Finney, Michael "Dumbledore" Gambon and Ioan Gruffudd). The subject was a lot less controversial -- the fight by William Wilberforce to end the slave trade in th British Empire.

It was (as "Creation" is reported to be) a lovely period piece with a lot of talking and not much action. The dramatic conclusion -- the final triumph of Wilberforce -- is a subtle parlimentary maneuver was little real drama. I thought it was a wonderful film that was fairly faithful to the facts ... but it was apparently too dry for the mass public. It was hard to find in theaters (I never did find it there) and even the DVD release was not promoted (when Amazon listed the top DVD releases for that month, "Amazing Grace" was not included).

Nice historical link between the two movies. In "Creation", Toby Jones plays Thomas Huxley, the great defender of Darwin's ideas. Perhaps the greatest moment in the Darwinian debate came in 1860 when Huxley debated Bishop Samuel Wilberforce (the third son of the character Gruffudd plays in "Amazing Grace") at Oxford University.

PS Going to IMDB to check my facts on Amazing Grace (I never can spell Gruffudd's name right), I was amazed to find that when you run a search for "Amazing Grace" the first suggested link is to the TV show "Amazing Race". I guess their computer assumes that even if you type in the correct title for the film, you really want info about an insipid reality TV show.

bluebear
09-21-2009, 12:06 PM
PS Going to IMDB to check my facts on Amazing Grace (I never can spell Gruffudd's name right), I was amazed to find that when you run a search for "Amazing Grace" the first suggested link is to the TV show "Amazing Race". I guess their computer assumes that even if you type in the correct title for the film, you really want info about an insipid reality TV show.

And this is not to be confused with "Amazing Grace and Chuck"..one of the greatest Cold War movies of all time ;)

A-Tex Devil
09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
And this is not to be confused with "Amazing Grace and Chuck"..one of the greatest Cold War movies of all time ;)

Come on... tell me you didn't get a little choked up at the end when the catcher gives the fastball sign (1), gets shaken off, the curveball sign (2), gets shaken off again, then stands up, takes his mask off and holds up three for the whole crowd to see.... then the whole crowd holds three up too..... getting dusty in here... <sniff> <sniff>.

Honestly, though -- I saw that movie when it came out and too young to be critical and understand what an awful premise it was. I (then) thought it was great. And Gregory Peck makes a great US President.

bluebear
09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Come on... tell me you didn't get a little choked up at the end when the catcher gives the fastball sign (1), gets shaken off, the curveball sign (2), gets shaken off again, then stands up, takes his mask off and holds up three for the whole crowd to see.... then the whole crowd holds three up too..... getting dusty in here... <sniff> <sniff>.

Honestly, though -- I saw that movie when it came out and too young to be critical and understand what an awful premise it was. I (then) thought it was great. And Gregory Peck makes a great US President.

I was being serious..or at least relatively serious...

A-Tex Devil
09-21-2009, 01:58 PM
I was being serious..or at least relatively serious...

Ahhh.... thought the wink was sarcasm. I was serious, too. But I take a lot of grief from people that didn't see that movie until they were adults. It is a ridiculous premise, and probably not the best acted movie in the world, but it's one of the few that always causes the room to be dusty when I watch it.

JasonEvans
09-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I may be the only person around who can say he saw both Amazing Grace as well as Amazing Grace and Chuck.

Amazing Grace (the one about slavery) was a powerful film, though a bit too long-winded and preachy at times. I thought it did a poor job of really explaining all the motivations of the folks involved. Reed Richards was very good as William Wilburforth.

Amazing Grace and Chuck was almost comedic in the simplistic way it addressed the Cold War. Getting Alex English, a very underrated NBA star, to be the star of the film was kinda fun casting but seeing him in a Celtic uniform was just plain wrong. The film works if you totally suspend any sense of reality and just go with it.

Side note-- the kid who played Chuck, who freaking starred in the movie, never did anything else in his entire career. That takes some work!

--Jason "been ages since I even thought about Amazing Grace and Chuck" Evans