PDA

View Full Version : Capel brings Cameron to Oklahoma

BD80
09-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Apparantly, Capel landed a commitment from Cameron Clark today. #30 on Scout.

Got the news from Dave Telep tweet.

http://twitter.com/DaveTelep

hc5duke
09-21-2009, 01:27 AM
I think this is the link you wanted:
http://twitter.com/DaveTelep/status/4130399799
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=901057&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2 %2f901057.html
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=412

airowe
09-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Capel has been impressive in his young coaching career. Hed be mu choice to succeed K at this point. Give Johnny D a few more years though, and my tune may change.

SMO
09-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Capel has been impressive in his young coaching career. Hed be mu choice to succeed K at this point. Give Johnny D a few more years though, and my tune may change.

I'd love to see Capel at Duke when K's time is up (hopefully not too soon).

As an aside, remember when the knock on K was that he couldn't develop good coaches? Critics must be pulling their hair out by now.

airowe
09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
I'd love to see Capel at Duke when K's time is up (hopefully not too soon).

As an aside, remember when the knock on K was that he couldn't develop good coaches? Critics must be pulling their hair out by now.

Capel never coached under K. Mike Brey did though, and he's been the most successful of K's assistants so far. I never understood why he wasn't more of a part of that conversation.

BD80
09-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Capel never coached under K. Mike Brey did though, and he's been the most successful of K's assistants so far. I never understood why he wasn't more of a part of that conversation.

The ND nation would disagree. Brey has not taken the Irish very far in the post season. There is actually a lot of grumbling going on. Many of the ND faithful are hoping that their ex AD White will hire Brey.

I like the idea of Capel, enough of a connection to understand the Duke culture, enough outside experience to bring new blood and fresh air into the program. His age will be about right, late forties, early fifties.

SMO
09-21-2009, 09:49 AM

Good point. I guess I was using the term "produce" loosely. It's tough to knock K after most criticisms have been refuted including:

Can't win the big one (NCAA Championships)
Doesn't develop players (how many have excelled under K?)
Doesn't develop good pro players (Boozer, Deng, Brand, etc)
Can't coach pros (USA Gold)
Doesn't develop good coaches (Brey, Capel (sort of), Dawkins TBD)

I love Capel as a coach and am interested to see how Dawkins does after 3-4 years on his own.

flyingdutchdevil
09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Good point. I guess I was using the term "produce" loosely. It's tough to knock K after most criticisms have been refuted including:

Can't win the big one (NCAA Championships)
Doesn't develop players (how many have excelled under K?)
Doesn't develop good pro players (Boozer, Deng, Brand, etc)
Can't coach pros (USA Gold)
Doesn't develop good coaches (Brey, Capel (sort of), Dawkins TBD)

I love Capel as a coach and am interested to see how Dawkins does after 3-4 years on his own.

I think that most of your points are accurate, but I would have to disagree on the assistant coaches part. IMO, Duke assistant coaches have a very poor track record when it comes to head coaches. Mike Brey may be one of the only successes, and yet he is heavily criticized. He had a great team last year (one which many thought could seriously compete for the Big East title) and he didn't even make the Big Dance. Quinn Snyder was a huge bust in Mizzou, Amaker didn't do much in Michigan (even if he excels in Harvard, he will unfortunately still be known for not doing anything in Michigan). Johnny Dawkins is TBD and I really hope that he succeeds.

Also, IMO, I don't think that there is a strong connection between great head coaches and great-assistant-coaches-turned-head-coach. I think a great head coach is innate and can rarely be taught. Look at UNC - they had to go through two inept coaches after Dean Smith to grab a gem like Ole Roy.

SMO
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I think that most of your points are accurate, but I would have to disagree on the assistant coaches part. IMO, Duke assistant coaches have a very poor track record when it comes to head coaches. Mike Brey may be one of the only successes, and yet he is heavily criticized. He had a great team last year (one which many thought could seriously compete for the Big East title) and he didn't even make the Big Dance. Quinn Snyder was a huge bust in Mizzou, Amaker didn't do much in Michigan (even if he excels in Harvard, he will unfortunately still be known for not doing anything in Michigan). Johnny Dawkins is TBD and I really hope that he succeeds.

Can anyone cite a current head coach that produces good to great college coaches consistently? The original criticisms of K had no frame of reference.

flyingdutchdevil
09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Can anyone cite a current head coach that produces good to great college coaches consistently? The original criticisms of K had no frame of reference.

If you read the second part of my post, you would see that I don't believe there is a strong correlation between a great head coach and great assistant coaches turned head coaches...

SMO
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
If you read the second part of my post, you would see that I don't believe there is a strong correlation between a great head coach and great assistant coaches turned head coaches...

And if you read my post you would see that I posed the question to "anyone", not you specifically. I was trying to generate discussion. Adversarial posts like yours make threads like this go downhill so quickly.

airowe
09-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I hate, hate, hate to do this, but I'm gonna post an article by Doyel :eek::eek::eek:. Even though it's old, and he's an absolute idiot. It does have some good information that is relevant to this discussion and I'd rather have you guys arguing over Gregg Doyel than yourselves.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/7055284

flyingdutchdevil
09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I hate, hate, hate to do this, but I'm gonna post an article by Doyel :eek::eek::eek:. Even though it's old, and he's an absolute idiot. It does have some good information that is relevant to this discussion and I'd rather have you guys arguing over Gregg Doyel than yourselves.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/7055284

Super old article. Interesting insight (Doyel is an idiot, but as long as he's talking about a field of teams rather than an individual team, I'm a little more okay with that). I would love to see him do another on of these 6 years later (ie around now).

JG Nothing
09-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Rick Pitino

SMO
09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Rick Pitino

Was Tubby his? Who else has he spawned?

Tom B.
09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I like the idea of Capel, enough of a connection to understand the Duke culture, enough outside experience to bring new blood and fresh air into the program. His age will be about right, late forties, early fifties.

Capel most likely would be a good bit younger than that if he succeeds K directly. Coach K is 62 years old -- even if he coaches until he's 70, Capel would be only 42 years old at that time.

Remember, Capel got started young -- I think he was only 27 when he got his first head coaching gig at VCU.

Tom B.
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Was Tubby his? Who else has he spawned?

Off the top of my head....

Billy Donovan, Ralph Willard, Herb Sendek.

SMO
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Off the top of my head....

Billy Donovan, Ralph Willard, Herb Sendek.

That's a solid list of coaching offspring (no pun intended!).

BD80
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM

Capel most likely would be a good bit younger than that if he succeeds K directly. Coach K is 62 years old -- even if he coaches until he's 70, Capel would be only 42 years old at that time.

Remember, Capel got started young -- I think he was only 27 when he got his first head coaching gig at VCU.

Thus my point. Coach K going until he is 80! Capel is a current coach young enough to still be around. We could start calling Coach K "Ramses."

OK. Maybe Coach K should retire after winning his tenth NCAA Championship, that would put him at what, 70? Oh, we agree!

airowe
09-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Thus my point. Coach K going until he is 80! Capel is a current coach young enough to still be around. We could start calling Coach K "Ramses."

OK. Maybe Coach K should retire after winning his tenth NCAA Championship, that would put him at what, 70? Oh, we agree!

I don't think K would want to be compared to this:

http://www.dunlapphotoart.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/RecentPictures/.pond/RamsesatUNCfootballgame08POLAROIDresized.jpg.w300h 319.jpg