PDA

View Full Version : Whelp, a new school year begins!

Lord Ash
09-15-2009, 07:36 PM
It is a real shock to the system to walk into the room you work in, and have it totally full of different people than it has had for the last two years:)

Class seems like an interesting one, fairly typical... 12 boys, 11 girls... not the brainiest group ever, but they seem nice... the girls are already a hundred times better than the boys:p As a group more mature, harder working, more responsible... boys just have such "big" personalities... I've got my wiseguy chubster (yep, you know the type) who can't stop talking but is awful sweet... I've got a little hippie girl, who immediately befriended the new girl in class, all smiles and peace symbols drawn on stuff... got the boy who clearly has Aspergers but the parents won't allow testing; very smart, very into the same things I like... I am hoping I'll be good for him this year... got the boy who is like 3 feet tall and speaks like a 45 year old man and draws these insanely detailed pictures of buildings, like I've never seen before, who always greets me with a "Hello, Commander..." And man... it is only day 5.

Got a good line already... asked the kids what they were expecting, what they knew about me, and after a few spoke one puts up his hand. I call on him, and he says with a confused look on his face "Well, I've heard two things. The little kids all say you are REALLY strict and mean. But every kid who has you thinks you are the best." That made my day.

Anyway... it is so, so strange to suddenly have almost everyone you interact with every day just disappear, only to be replaced by new people... On the plus side, just about the entire class from last year came back every day after school the first week!:)

Are there any other teachers on DBR? I seem to recall this exceedingly cute girl from South Carolina, but maybe I am imagining things...?:)

Deslok
09-15-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm not a cute girl, nor am I in SC. I'm a guy who teaches HS Math/Comp Sci over in Korea. We actually started up about a month ago - we have already had the school close for 1 week because of swine flu infections. Its always fun to meet the students for the year and see what things are going to be like. I definitely have one class that has a sarcastic sense of humor that I'll enjoy(and already have... we had back to school night 2 weeks ago and so I was dressed up in a tie and all, which is soo not normal for me, and one of them asked why I was looking spiffy and all, so I simply replied "Because I have a date with your mom tonight." Of course, the class was unteachable for 2-3 minutes after I said that, but that's ok - and I know the kid and the parents reasonably well already, so had no fear of creating huge offense).

We have a whole host of new teachers as well this year(15 in the high school, roughly 1/3 of the faculty) so its also been a good time getting to know them as well as the students.