PDA

View Full Version : Athlete you most admire...

SupaDave
09-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Ok - after seeing a little MJ backlash it got me to wondering - just WHO are those athletes that we most admire and respect?

B/c I like to keep things positive I thought it would be good to give some folks some shine that don't necessarily get all the publicity.

For me, it all starts and ends with "Sweetness", I can't think of any athlete I would have wanted to meet over this guy. When it comes to sportmanship, drive, work ethic, accomplishments, and humility - there is none better than Walter Payton in my book.

I have a Duke favorite too - and his name is Grant Hill. Really no need to elaborate there b/c I'm sure many folks have fond memories of G.

So who do you appreciate?

gep
09-14-2009, 08:53 PM
first thought that came to mind... Muhammad Ali

DukeBlueNikeShox
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Tim Tebow!

(ooooops, you said "athlete", not superhero...)

camion
09-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Manute Bol

Kimist
09-14-2009, 09:28 PM
It's tough to separate athleticism from the character traits of merit.

Having said that, I think it would be a tough choice (Duke folks) between Shane Battier and Grant Hill.

And for the "outside" competition, I admire Cal Ripken greatly.

k

bass-piscator
09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Damn, Cal baby!!!!

How can you not admire that man.

dukieinhebron
09-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Barry Sanders, or Dick Butkis.

SupaDave
09-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Manute Bol

I like this. It's a lot behind that name you just put out there...

throatybeard
09-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Henry Aaron
Sandy Koufax
Roberto Clemente
Hines Ward

not Buffalo's kick returner

mgtr
09-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Hard for me to believe that no one has yet named Tiger Woods -- so I will! Or, how about Bob Mathias -- before many of your times, but a fabulous athlete.

YourLandlord
09-14-2009, 10:44 PM

Curious...why?

Azdukefan
09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Dukies
Grant Hill
Shane Battier
JJ Redick (I know he that DUI but many have stepped behind the wheel when they shouldn't have)

Beyond Duke
Tom Brady (did you watch the game tonight?)
Michael Phelps (I know he smoked some herb but in reality, most have tried it)
Andy Roddick
Roy Jones Jr. (can you say swagger?)

I know a few of my guys will get ripped but oh well (who is perfect?)!

My favorite football player ever......Lawrence Taylor (I am aware he might be one of the worst character guys on the planet but again he showed up with reckless abandon every Sunday).

basket1544
09-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Grant, no question.
Shane.
David Robinson.
Any athlete who remembers at all times to be an honorable and respected member of his community.

wallyman
09-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Grant/Shane.

Not a Yankees fan, but you can sure make a case
for Derek Jeter.

madscavenger
09-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Babe Zaharias

Shane Battier

Luol Deng

JaMarcus Russell
09-15-2009, 02:16 AM
George Weah is a very impressive person both on and off the soccer field. He was almost elected to serve as the President of Liberia a few years ago.

SupaDave
09-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Dukies
Grant Hill
Shane Battier
JJ Redick (I know he that DUI but many have stepped behind the wheel when they shouldn't have)

Beyond Duke
Tom Brady (did you watch the game tonight?)
Michael Phelps (I know he smoked some herb but in reality, most have tried it)
Andy Roddick
Roy Jones Jr. (can you say swagger?)

I know a few of my guys will get ripped but oh well (who is perfect?)!

My favorite football player ever......Lawrence Taylor (I am aware he might be one of the worst character guys on the planet but again he showed up with reckless abandon every Sunday).

I just couldn't stop laughing reading this. No need to list their faults...

barjwr
09-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Ditto David Robinson.

flyingdutchdevil
09-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Roger Federer - greatest tennis player ever
Marco van Basten - amazingly talented player
Eric Cantona - though retired, still the fan favorite in Man U
Bryan Habana - one of the fastest athletes ever
Francois Pienaar - helped to unite a nation after Apartheid

InSpades
09-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Surprised I didn't see anyone mention Lance Armstrong.

MJS4Duke11
09-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Jake Delhomme... he shows up every sunday and plays the game with reckless abandon. You have to admire a gunslinger like that.

NSDukeFan
09-15-2009, 08:33 AM
I find many of my favorite athletes when I was growing up were not people I would say I admire now (Guy LaFleur, Derrick Coleman). Others who I would still say I admire (some for athletic pursuits, others for leadership, selflessness) would include Steve Yzerman, Richie McCaw, Barry Sanders, Dikembe Mutombo, Mark Messier, Cal Ripken Jr., Shane Battier, Grant Hill, Steve Nash, etc.

6th Man
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
I admire Anna Kournikova. :D

BlueDevilBaby
09-15-2009, 09:23 AM
As a youngster, Chris Evert and Bjorn Borg. They were everything I was not as a tennis player. I tended to be, and play, more like Martina and Mac.

Others - Jack, Grant, Shane, Lance, The Great One, Jeter, Cal Jr., Agassi, Tiger, the Blaze.

rthomas
09-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Sir Charles Barkley

First plays pro basketball, now he is using his football eligibility to play quarterback at USC.

allenmurray
09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
In regards to Cal Ripkin

Curious...why?
Cal does an incredible amount of charity work, both in the Maryland area and nationally. He does his charity work so quietly that you felt the need to ask, "Why Cal?" despite the fact that he may do more youth oriented good works than any other athelte, retired or active. In addition he has built the Cal Ripkin youth baseball league into a model of positive youth sports. He wrote a tremendous book titled: Parenting the Young Athlete that should be required reading for every adult (parent, coach, volunteer) involved in youth sports. He was scandal free as an athlete. He signed autographs for hours for kids after almost every game (he saw it as "simply something you do for the young fans" not as a way to make money at card shows). He is an incredibly committed husband and father. He is also one of the last of a dying breed - a player who played for his hometown team for his entire career, and contineus to live and remain active there. Finally, he was a pretty good baseball player, if I recall correctly (18x All-Star, 2x Gold Glove, 8x Silver Slugger, and something about a lot of games played in a row)

allenmurray
09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Cal Ripkin (see above),
David Robinson,
Roberto Clemente,
Alan Page (how has he not been named on this list yet?),
Jackie Robinson,
Manute Bol.

All of these folks have had huge positive public contributions outside of sports.

SupaDave
09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Cal Ripkin (see above),
David Robinson,
Roberto Clemente,
Alan Page (how has he not been named on this list yet?),
Jackie Robinson,
Manute Bol.

All of these folks have had huge positive public contributions outside of sports.

I'll add Arthur Ashe to that list...

jws
09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Most of the athletes I've admired most are the ones who are tremendous competitors who don't back down to anyone, and who accomplish great things, but who do so with class and humility.

Some who come to mind are:

Bart Starr
Charlie Scott
Wayne Gretzky
Walter Payton
Bobby Jones
Mia Hamm
David Robinson
Steve Largent
Joe Montana

I think Tiger Woods combines competitiveness with class and humility as well as anyone in the history of sport. I've always admired his ability, but when he took the PGA by storm his first few years, I felt a strong urge to root against him, because he had become a serious threat to my alltime favorite golfer, Jack Nicklaus. But aside from the fact that there is simply no longer any question in my mind that Woods is the best golfer to ever lace 'em up, the level of graciousness and humility Woods consistently demonstrates, as well as the respect he shows his fellow golfers and the time and money he puts into good causes puts Tiger Woods at the top of my list.

He's an incredible phenomenon; one most folks probably won't properly appreciate until his career is over.

BlueDevilBaby
09-15-2009, 10:43 AM

Excellent point. I should have included him as well. At my cousin's request, he took the time at the pre-US Open juniors tournament that bore his name (not sure if they still have it) to take a picture with me and give me his autograph. He was just walking around the grounds by himself.

slower
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM

probably the classiest athlete ever. What a tragic waste, when you consider all that he could have done (in addition to all that he DID do)with a full life.

Mike Corey
09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Grant Hill
Shane Battier
Sean Dockery
Johnny Dawkins
Harrison Barnes

~

Jackie Robinson & Pee Wee Reese
Arthur Ashe
Moonlight Graham
Andre Agassi
Lance Armstrong

Indoor66
09-15-2009, 11:28 AM
How about some old timers -

Lou Gehrig
John Unitis
Arnold Palmer
Jack Nicklaus
Byron Nelson
Joe Dimaggio
Kareem

allenmurray
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Grant Hill
Shane Battier
Sean Dockery
Johnny Dawkins
Harrison Barnes

~

Jackie Robinson & Pee Wee Reese
Arthur Ashe
Moonlight Graham
Andre Agassi
Lance Armstrong

I always thought they ended the movie Field of Dreams at the wrong time. I thought the true climax was when Moolight Graham stepped off the field to save the kid. Everything after that was superfluous.

Channing
09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo ... ftw

DukeVol
09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
How about a little love for Arnold "The King" Palmer? A true class act and an all-time fan favorite.

Who else has a non-alcoholic drink named after him?

sagegrouse
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Folks around the NBA back in the 1970s said that ex-Celtic, ex-Laker coach Bill Sharman had the finest character of anyone in the NBA.

From a later era I would add Jerry West, who has always been a class act. He also retired when he was on top of his game because of his pride and his disappointment in watching Oscar Robinson waddle around the court in his declining years (but O was still good).

I would not put Tiger Woods on the list, even though he is a hero to me and many as the greatest champion in sports today. Ditto for Lance Armstrong. These guys are so competitive -- think Michael Jordan -- that they have rough edges with their competitors and the public.

I would also agree with Cal Ripken and the martyred Roberto Clemente and the surpassingly strange but very genuine Manute Bol, whose charitable activities for Sudan refugees are tremendous, carried on despite his crippling injuries. Yes to Peewee Reese, whose public display of affection for Jackie Robinson was really important.

Of the Duke legions there are a lot of candidates who are not household names, including JD, Tommy Amaker, Billy King and others. The only household names on my Duke list would be Grant and maybe Shane, based on how many people now recognize his talent and dedication.

sagegrouse

Wheat/"/"/"
09-15-2009, 02:20 PM
As a pure athlete to admire, I've got to add Usain Bolt to the mix here. This guy is a stud and has really gotten my attention lately.

As for a great athlete with great character that I admire, the top of my list starts with David Robinson.

He's the poster boy for class and integrity to me.

bass-piscator
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Tiger Woods is hardly a class act. He acts like a total arse at times when things aren't going his way. Its just not publicized. Write or broadcast anything bad about Tiger and you may as well write off your golf reporting career. He's the greatest golfer on Earth and he will ignore you for the rest of your life.

SupaDave
09-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Tiger Woods is hardly a class act. He acts like a total arse at times when things aren't going his way. Its just not publicized. Write or broadcast anything bad about Tiger and you may as well write off your golf reporting career. He's the greatest golfer on Earth and he will ignore you for the rest of your life.

Sounds like Tiger isn't speaking to you right now. :)

sagegrouse
09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by bass-piscator

OK, Mr. Bass-man, here is your next Mission Impossible assignment. Get an interview from Tiger Woods, after disclosing the above message.

sagegrouse

bass-piscator
09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
How about a shot-out to Michael Phelps. Dick Ebersol wrote an outstanding article about the goodness and humanity of the kid. I tried to find it but I couldn't.

airowe
09-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Brad Hennefer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcBReDtp_pQ)

Jason McElwain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzyhnkT_jY&feature=related)

Liz Wallace and Mallory Holtman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2sQYsNpPs)

SupaDave
09-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Jake Delhomme... he shows up every sunday and plays the game with reckless abandon. You have to admire a gunslinger like that.

I've been trying to resist but you must not play fantasy football...

allenmurray
09-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Brad Hennefer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcBReDtp_pQ)

Jason McElwain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzyhnkT_jY&feature=related)

Liz Wallace and Mallory Holtman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2sQYsNpPs)

You do realize that my co-workers are wondering why I am crying at my desk? It doesnt matter how many times I see the Wallace/Holtzman video - my reaction is the same.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Harrison Barnes

MJS4Duke11
09-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I've been trying to resist but you must not play fantasy football...

haha, i definitely do play fantasy, that line was total sarcasm.

He ruined my sunday and not for fantasy reasons

Hancock 4 Duke
09-15-2009, 05:03 PM
JJ Redick. Always looked up to him for some reason. Perfect work ethic, and will do anything to help his team

vango
09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
#1: Anybody on the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team

Duke:

Shane Battier
Grant Hill

Others:

Lance Armstrong
Peyton Manning
Rulon Gardner
Jackie Robinson

Current interest in:

Michael Oher (movie about him "The Blind Side" to be released in November: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2369061401/ )

Anson Dorrance (I know - but you have to be impressed)

sivartrenrag
09-16-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA74eKrU96I

Also, J-Mac, the autistic manager-turned-player who scored 20 points in a game. And his coach for giving him a shot.

Luol Deng
Tim Duncan
Shane Battier
Grant Hill
Jackie Robinson
Roberto Clemente
Lou Gehrig

I'm having a hard time narrowing my list so I'll just leave it at that.

EDIT: I just have to add Stan Musial.

airowe
09-16-2009, 10:50 AM
You do realize that my co-workers are wondering why I am crying at my desk? It doesnt matter how many times I see the Wallace/Holtzman video - my reaction is the same.

That is touching isn't it. Sorry for making you tear up. That was the first time I'd cried during Sportscenter since the announcement of Jimmy V's passing...

jv001
09-16-2009, 10:54 AM
But here goes:

Stan the man Musial
Roberto Clemente
David Robinson
Shane
Grant
Coack K

No way I can vote for Tiger Woods. He uses God's name in vain too many times for me to even consider him. Go Duke!

Kimist
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
It's tough to separate athleticism from the character traits of merit.

Having said that, I think it would be a tough choice (Duke folks) between Shane Battier and Grant Hill.

k

I will update by adding that I probably did overlook Arthur Ashe.

David Robinson definitely deserves consideration because of his overall character, including fulfilling his Navy requirements, and sports abilities.

Sorry, but at this stage I just cannot include Tiger Woods in the list. There is no doubt he is a superb golfer. However, I have read published reports of his off-the-course behavior, primarily related to the treatment of others and/or overall immaturity, that sour me on his true character. Included in that observation are discussions I've had with folks directly associated with him at tournaments in NC. Perhaps he can mature a bit and eventually shake that stigma. In the meantime, give me someone like Arnold Palmer as a definition of a golfer with skills and class!

k

DukeDevilDeb
09-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Ok - after seeing a little MJ backlash it got me to wondering - just WHO are those athletes that we most admire and respect?

B/c I like to keep things positive I thought it would be good to give some folks some shine that don't necessarily get all the publicity.

For me, it all starts and ends with "Sweetness", I can't think of any athlete I would have wanted to meet over this guy. When it comes to sportmanship, drive, work ethic, accomplishments, and humility - there is none better than Walter Payton in my book.

I have a Duke favorite too - and his name is Grant Hill. Really no need to elaborate there b/c I'm sure many folks have fond memories of G.

So who do you appreciate?

Sweetness was special... physically gifted and a genuinely caring human being. I've never figured out what really happened when he needed a transplant... but he is alone at the top.

(Note to person who named Dick Butkis (sic)). First, it is Butkus. Second, he fell off my list when in 1985 he let the Refrigerator score a Superbowl touchdown and didn't call for Peyton to get the ball.

As to Duke, no question. #1 is Shane Battier.

SupaDave
09-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Sweetness was special... physically gifted and a genuinely caring human being. I've never figured out what really happened when he needed a transplant... but he is alone at the top.

(Note to person who named Dick Butkis (sic)). First, it is Butkus. Second, he fell off my list when in 1985 he let the Refrigerator score a Superbowl touchdown and didn't call for Peyton to get the ball.

As to Duke, no question. #1 is Shane Battier.

Gotta call you out here - don't correct someone else's spelling and then misspell someone's name yourself. :)

AND - Payton DID have a donor for his transplant but he refused to be moved to the front of the line b/c he stated that he was human just like everyone else and those folks had been waiting longer. He was willing to die with that and it's something I'll never forget.

lmb
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Payton DID have a donor for his transplant but he refused to be moved to the front of the line b/c he stated that he was human just like everyone else and those folks had been waiting longer. He was willing to die with that and it's something I'll never forget.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing! That puts him at the top of my list.

ChicagoCrazy84
09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Not counting the past because there are a lot that I admire.

So, the one active athlete that I admire the most....

Adrian Peterson. The guy is a monster plain and simple. His work ethic and "Im going to destroy you" mentality is ridiculous.

airowe
09-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Not counting the past because there are a lot that I admire.

So, the one active athlete that I admire the most....

Adrian Peterson. The guy is a monster plain and simple. His work ethic and "Im going to destroy you" mentality is ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrhBXbVmrWc&feature=player_embedded

verga
09-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Muhammed Ali for his ability in the ring - positive
Muhammed Ali for his treatment (his taunting and unneeded punishment) of his opponents in the ring- negative
Muhammed Ali, hard to believe he's so loved, yet wouldn't fight for his country (there are 2 sides to every argument).

Congrats to Arnold Palmer, Joe Louis and Dave Cowens

rthomas
09-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Muhammed Ali for his ability in the ring - positive
Muhammed Ali for his treatment (his taunting and unneeded punishment) of his opponents in the ring- negative
Muhammed Ali, hard to believe he's so loved, yet wouldn't fight for his country (there are 2 sides to every argument).

Congrats to Arnold Palmer, Joe Louis and Dave Cowens

Ali stood up for what he believed. - positive. period.

InSpades
09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4480272

Certainly very admirable. Somewhat reminds me of the Nolan Smith story from ESPN last year. For a guy who hasn't gotten a lot of positive publicity since college he certainly deserves some for this.

SupaDave
09-17-2009, 03:50 PM
That is touching isn't it. Sorry for making you tear up. That was the first time I'd cried during Sportscenter since the announcement of Jimmy V's passing...

I'm not gonna lie, "Behind the lines" definitely gets me sometimes. Either I'm getting old and sensitive or their editing is just fantastic for pulling the heart strings.

Jim3k
09-18-2009, 01:40 AM
I can't believe no has mentioned Jim Brown. (Saw him in an airport 2 years ago; poor man can hardly walk.) In his prime, he was the best football player in the game. Only Bronko Nagurski had more power, and he played both ways.

And for tear-jerking, Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers.

As for Blue Devils: Dave Sime, Mike Curtis, Shane Battier, Jason Williams

SupaDave
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I can't believe no has mentioned Jim Brown. (Saw him in an airport 2 years ago; poor man can hardly walk.) In his prime, he was the best football player in the game. Only Bronko Nagurski had more power, and he played both ways.

And for tear-jerking, Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers.

As for Blue Devils: Dave Sime, Mike Curtis, Shane Battier, Jason Williams

Jim Brown is more iconic for just being dang tough. Even his movie roles - he was tough. He's a great man but when I think Jim Brown I just think "one bad dude"...

Jim3k
09-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Jim Brown is more iconic for just being dang tough. Even his movie roles - he was tough. He's a great man but when I think Jim Brown I just think "one bad dude"...

As an athlete, IIRC, he was a two-sport All-American -- football and lacrosse.

And being one tough dude is part of it. And don't omit his post-athletic, post-movie life -- trying to get gang members on a positive life path.

DukeDevilDeb
09-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Gotta call you out here - don't correct someone else's spelling and then misspell someone's name yourself. :)

AND - Payton DID have a donor for his transplant but he refused to be moved to the front of the line b/c he stated that he was human just like everyone else and those folks had been waiting longer. He was willing to die with that and it's something I'll never forget.

My bad. And I didn't know either about not jumping ahead in the transplant line. Mickey Mantle did and lasted a whole 3 weeks with a new liver.

I will not spell Payton incorrectly when referring to Walter.

And I will not confuse Walter Payton and Peyton Place!

Sorry.

blazindw
09-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Barry Sanders. Enough said. In my mind, the greatest athlete to ever walk the earth.

Indoor66
09-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Barry Sanders. Enough said. In my mind, the greatest athlete to ever walk the earth.

An admirable selection but your characterization as the greatest athlete... is a little over the top, IMO.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-18-2009, 05:31 PM
When you ask which athlete do you most admire, I'm thinking of much more than athletic ability when I answer.

Among those associated with Duke, I'd list Wallace Wade, Jeff Mullins and Bob Matheson. Each was an outstanding athlete in college, but it is the quality of their characters and constructive influence on others which I think sets them above most others.

Indoor66
09-18-2009, 06:27 PM
When you ask which athlete do you most admire, I'm thinking of much more than athletic ability when I answer.

Among those associated with Duke, I'd list Wallace Wade, Jeff Mullins and Bob Matheson. Each was an outstanding athlete in college, but it is the quality of their characters and constructive influence on others which I think sets them above most others.

I agree with your above list and would add Mike Giminski and Jim Spanarkle to the list.

SupaDave
09-18-2009, 06:32 PM
And don't omit his post-athletic, post-movie life -- trying to get gang members on a positive life path.

Yes indeed! He would have definitely got my attention...

blazindw
09-18-2009, 07:17 PM
An admirable selection but your characterization as the greatest athlete... is a little over the top, IMO.

Like I said, in my mind he is the greatest athlete EVER. As a Lions fan, being able to see him play many times and even getting a chance to just be within 10 yards of the man...to me and many other Detroiters, that characterization is not just not over the top, but may not do him justice.

SupaDave
09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Like I said, in my mind he is the greatest athlete EVER. As a Lions fan, being able to see him play many times and even getting a chance to just be within 10 yards of the man...to me and many other Detroiters, that characterization is not just not over the top, but may not do him justice.

Let's not forget that he didn't come back to football partly due to not wanting to break Payton rushing record - something many folks felt Emmitt Smith should have let stand.

blazindw
09-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Let's not forget that he didn't come back to football partly due to not wanting to break Payton rushing record - something many folks felt Emmitt Smith should have let stand.

And, if you recall, his rookie season he lost the rushing title by 1 yard to Christian Okoye, despite having that total entering the 3rd quarter on the final game of the season. Instead, he goes to coach Wayne Fontes and tells him to play the backup because he deserved the playing time.

He retired after only 9 seasons, and was a below-average season away from Payton's record. You're right, he partly left because he didn't want to break that record and take away from Walter Payton in any way.

dukemsu
09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
David Robinson
Grant
Shane
Barry Sanders
Ken Griffey, Jr.

But I think the athlete I have the most respect for is Steve Yzerman. Yzerman came into the league as a hotshot goal scorer, just behind 99 and 66 in terms of offensive talent. Due to injury and the Red Wings building a team concept, he sacrificed a lot of his stats to become a two-way player and a truly great team captain. Yzerman also came back from several career-threatening injuries (including one experimental leg surgery that should have crippled him) and conducted himself with grace on and off the ice. Truly a legend in hockey circles.

dukemsu

blazindw
09-21-2009, 12:28 AM
David Robinson
Grant
Shane
Barry Sanders
Ken Griffey, Jr.

But I think the athlete I have the most respect for is Steve Yzerman. Yzerman came into the league as a hotshot goal scorer, just behind 99 and 66 in terms of offensive talent. Due to injury and the Red Wings building a team concept, he sacrificed a lot of his stats to become a two-way player and a truly great team captain. Yzerman also came back from several career-threatening injuries (including one experimental leg surgery that should have crippled him) and conducted himself with grace on and off the ice. Truly a legend in hockey circles.

dukemsu

Can't go wrong with The Captain.

rasputin
09-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I agree with many of the names posted throughout. The first ones that came thru my mind when I read the first post were David Robinson and Arnold Palmer. Some that haven't been mentioned before (or at least not much), for me, would be Willie Stargell and Corey Pavin.

Festus
09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Some great names already posted and they bring a lot of history. I especially liked the mention of "Stevey Y" in this predominately basketball forum. The person I most admire is Roger Staubach. He was a couple years ahead of me but I did have good fortune of being at receiving end of a pass he thew (Ouch!) when we were both stationed in Pensacola. People marvel at the success of Greg Paulus (with good reason) but remember Roger also had a four year hiatus between the Naval Academy and the Cowboys due to his military committment and did not do too shabby in the NFL.. He was a true gentleman when I encountered him and, like David Robinson, has always made us "Old Salts" proud.

captmojo
09-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Took a long time to see the name Mickey Mantle. I know it wasn't a vote registered for him, but you must admit that it took a lot of courage to speak the way he did of himself, during that press conference. I'm not voting this direction either.

I have great admiration for Ted Williams the man, but not the husband and father. Courageous, flight tours in WWII and over Korea at what would/could have been the height of his playing career. In order to hit .400, a man...

Henry Aaron gets my vote. The ability he had was astounding. Great fielder, hitter, slugger...and personal courage to top them all. The threats to his family and himself, the courage to see it through despite the dangers, makes him tops on my list. All he did...and without performance enhancers. What a man!