PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Hoops Magazines

roywhite
09-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Always enjoy the anticipation of another season, and one sure sign is the appearance of the pre-season basketball mags in local supermarkets, bookstores, etc. Just saw a Lindy's the other day.

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/media-watch/200907225603/media-watch-farewell-to-the-acc-basketball-handbook.php

But bad news so far as the ACC Handbook goes. Not being published this year. :(

Darn recession! This has gone too far.

Reddevil
09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Now that the ACC Handbook no longer an option, what is the best rag going? Everything else pales in comparison that I have seen. I like Lindy's for the NFL, but not so much for ACC Basketball and recruiting. Thoughts?:confused:

MChambers
09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Always enjoy the anticipation of another season, and one sure sign is the appearance of the pre-season basketball mags in local supermarkets, bookstores, etc. Just saw a Lindy's the other day.

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/media-watch/200907225603/media-watch-farewell-to-the-acc-basketball-handbook.php

But bad news so far as the ACC Handbook goes. Not being published this year. :(

Darn recession! This has gone too far.

You also can blame the Internet!

superdave
09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Saw two in Broder's yesterday, they've got Duke at #11 and #18. I think it was Athlon and Lindy's.

Looks like we've got them right where we want them.

6th Man
09-14-2009, 02:41 PM
This is sad news. No more ACC Handbook. I know for a fact I have everyone since the '82 season. It is so interesting to go back and look at the team photos and read the predictions. I never will forget Jordan's freshman photo. His mouth is wide open in the picture....I remember thinking as a kid it was scary looking. It was definitely an action photo of just his head. Very interesting. Amazing it is gone after buying that magazine for 26 or 27 consecutive years.

sagegrouse
09-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Now that the ACC Handbook no longer an option, what is the best rag going? Everything else pales in comparison that I have seen. I like Lindy's for the NFL, but not so much for ACC Basketball and recruiting. Thoughts?:confused:

Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook is the best, IMHO (with Sagegrouse the 'H' is often silent). Comes out later but has better info.

sagegrouse

Kedsy
09-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook is the best, IMHO (with Sagegrouse the 'H' is often silent). Comes out later but has better info.

sagegrouse

I completely agree with this endorsement. Blue Ribbon is not only the best of this sort of publication, but it's so far ahead of the competition there really is no second best.

cspan37421
09-14-2009, 03:44 PM
My favorite from the wayback machine was Barry Jacobs' Fans Guide to ACC Basketball. I remember the first year I couldn't find it, after scouring for it, kind of being in a junkie withdrawal panic! Some time later I learned that he simply didn't have time or $$ to do it anymore. Sad. He always had the best obscure stats - perfect for wannabee Cliff Clavins!

Olympic Fan
09-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I concur about the Blue Ribbon Yearbook. Far, FAR and away the best basketball publication. In depth coverage of every single Division 1 team in the country. Usually relatively free of bias (which I can't say of Athlon and Lindy's).

It does come out a little late, but if you want one early, try the Sporting News College Basketball Yearbook. Good basic information (schedules, returning starters, etc.). Not nearly as in depth as the Blue Ribbon ... but solid -- and it comes out early.

whereinthehellami
09-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I used to love the ACC handbook, back before the internet took over. I couldn't seem to read it fast enough. I used to force myself to not jump to the back for the recruiting section. I hadn't bought a handbook in years though. The info was just too dated and commonplace.

BlueintheFace
09-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Cover of Athlon has a familiar face:

http://www.athlonsports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=33_267&products_id=6330