PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rules Question...

Kewlswim
04-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi,

As a long suffering Warriors fan it is really exciting to see the team actually go to the playoffs and better yet win a game in it! I have to admit I haven't watched much NBA action recently, but the Warriors (to me) are fun. I like small-ball.

In NBA games it seems that sometimes a team calls time-out after a made basket and the ball is moved to half-court. Yet, other times the ball is not moved to half-court after a time-out. Why is that?

Thanks!

GO DUKE!
GO WARRIORS!

Channing
04-23-2007, 01:33 PM
If a timeout is called once the ball is in play it is reset at the half court line. Therefore, if a player calls timeout before he inbounds the ball he will be reset under his own basket. However, if he inbounds the ball to a teammate who immediately calls timeout it will be reset to the half court line.

Clipsfan
04-23-2007, 02:17 PM
If a timeout is called once the ball is in play it is reset at the half court line. Therefore, if a player calls timeout before he inbounds the ball he will be reset under his own basket. However, if he inbounds the ball to a teammate who immediately calls timeout it will be reset to the half court line.

Not entirely correct, as it actually has to do with the time left in the game. Per the official NBA Rules:

"If a regular or mandatory timeout is charged to the offensive team during the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period and (1) the ball is out-of-bounds in the backcourt (except for a suspension of play after the team had advanced the ball), or (2) after securing the ball from a rebound in the backcourt and prior to any advance of the ball, or (3) after securing the ball from a change of possession in the backcourt and prior to any advance of the ball, the timeout shall be granted. Upon resumption of play, the team granted the timeout shall have the option of putting the ball into play at the 28’ hash mark in the frontcourt, or at the designated spot out-of-bounds. If the ball is put into play at the hash mark, the ball may be passed into either the frontcourt or backcourt. If the ball is passed into the backcourt, the team will receive a new 8-second count."

Kewlswim
04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi,

I should have also asked, why? Why is this in play? Why shouldn't the team get the ball where the time-out was taken? I don't understand the need for the rule.

I don't really understand the restricted area under the basket either. A charge, is a charge, is a charge, I don't really get why there are certain places where it can't happen.

GO DUKE!

darthur
04-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm not an expert, but I suspect the restricted area is used to discourage people from trying to take charges both (a) to reduce risk of injury, and (b) to keep the game faster paced.

mapei
04-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I always thought it was because the NBA hates defense.