PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on "Memphis Opens The Tap!"

DukeUsul
09-11-2009, 10:32 AM
J&B posted an article about Memphis opening up beer sales at their football games. In it they mentioned they thought that alcohol sales were not allowed by the NCAA.

I always thought that the NCAA forbids alcohol sales at on-campus arenas, but can't forbid it at off-campus arenas like Memphis's Liberty Bowl. The NCAA encourages its members to prohibit alcohol sales at these off-campus arenas, but they can't make a blanket ban. I can't find documentation of this.

The NCAA does have the power to prohibit sales of alcohol at its own tournament events.

See these minutes from the NCAA regarding encouraging (but not prohibiting) members to stop alcohol sales at events:
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/Exec_Comm/2008/s3_alcohol-policy.htm
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/media+and+events/press+room/current+issues/basketball+resource+page#alcohol

I do think the conferences have the power to enforce their own policies. I always thought the ACC requires their member schools to prohibit alcohol sales at all ACC sporting events. I'm not completely sure about that and I'm looking for documentation.

Tchoupitoulas
09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I believe this is regulated by the conferences. Some conferences I believe allow the individual schools decide. For example, here in New Orleans (as you might guess), Tulane (Conference USA) sells beer at all sporting events, even those on campus. You can buy beer at the home basketball games at Fogelman arena right on campus or at the home baseball games. It sure helps with the peanut sales.

allenmurray
09-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Duke sometimes plays in Greensboro Coliseum (I'm not talking about the ACC Tournament, but games agasint UNC Greensboro or NC A&T). If I recall correctly beer has been sold at those games. Perhaps because the Gb'ro Coliseum is not owned by any of the universities and it is not an ACC event (as is the tournament)?

Turk
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I remember being surprised to see beer being sold when I popped up to see a game at Temple's on-campus gym a couple seasons ago. (Liacouras Center, approx 9,000 seats if memory serves). They were carding EVERYBODY and their grandma, and the lines were miles long. Not worth the effort for anyone, IMHO.

Non-NCAA-Tourney college games in the NBA arenas are hit-or-miss; I've never been able to detect a pattern. Good thing I don't go to hoop games just for the beer. :D:D

jdk
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Duke sometimes plays in Greensboro Coliseum (I'm not talking about the ACC Tournament, but games agasint UNC Greensboro or NC A&T). If I recall correctly beer has been sold at those games. Perhaps because the Gb'ro Coliseum is not owned by any of the universities and it is not an ACC event (as is the tournament)?

Last season, alcohol was served at the coliseum for UNCG games. No problem with long lines, although the crowd for a five-win team isn't too bad. This season, it's officially UNCG's home court so it will be interesting to see whether or not alcohol is still served.

Turtleboy
09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Last season, alcohol was served at the coliseum for UNCG games. No problem with long lines, although the crowd for a five-win team isn't too bad. This season, it's officially UNCG's home court so it will be interesting to see whether or not alcohol is still served.It was served at the Davidson - UNCG game.

bigj4194
09-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Interestingly however at the ACC tournament last year at the Georgia Dome (where beer is sold for professional sporting events) beer was not sold.

TampaDuke
09-11-2009, 05:38 PM
For the ACC tournament in Tampa in 2007, beer was not sold inside the St. Pete Times forum as I recall. However, they did set up a beer stand at an outdoor smoking area. You had to drink it out there and could not bring it back in. They did not advertise it, but the word spread. I think half the stadium crowded into that area during the times between games!

msdukie
09-11-2009, 08:51 PM
At least in the late 1990s/early 2000s, they sold beer at the Tallahassee-Leon County Civic Center Presented by Donald L. Tucker for F$U games. It is an off campus facility, so they could do so.

Guess the Metro Conference doesn't regulate its basketball programs. :(