PDA

View Full Version : Brad Beal to FLA

houstondukie
09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
His top six includes Kansas, Florida, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio St., and DUKE.

Only DUKE and Ohio St. have yet to offer.

The 6'3'' 180 pound junior is ranked the #1 SG in the class of 2011.

Per the latest rivals article:
"Should Duke extend an offer; the Devils would likely be an early favorite to land his services."

The fact that we haven't offered Beal makes me think there is some real truth to the Austin Rivers rumors. It just doesn't make sense not to offer a guy like Beal otherwise. Think about it: #1 SG, honor student, grew up liking DUKE and idolized JJ Redick, potential to be a great defender, and most importantly he is a great kid.

"I'm looking for a school that has a great academic system where I can get my degree," Beal said. "And a place that has a family-like atmosphere and that plays together as a team."

"I also want a school that likes to run. I want them to play happy as a team, and a team that shows love for each other."

It would be a shame to miss out on this kid, especially if we never offer.

Kedsy
09-10-2009, 10:31 AM
The fact that we haven't offered Beal makes me think there is some real truth to the Austin Rivers rumors.

If this kid is the #1 SG in the class, why would we be waiting on Rivers before offering? There's something missing in that explanation.

Isn't it more likely there's another explanation, like K hasn't met him personally yet and generally doesn't extend an offer until he does? Or something like that?

COYS
09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
If this kid is the #1 SG in the class, why would we be waiting on Rivers before offering? There's something missing in that explanation.

Isn't it more likely there's another explanation, like K hasn't met him personally yet and generally doesn't extend an offer until he does? Or something like that?

And Kedsy, if you're right, it would stand to reason that there's at least a chance an offer could be extended today. On the surface, it really does look like Beal would be a great fit for Duke.

Kedsy
09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
And Kedsy, if you're right, it would stand to reason that there's at least a chance an offer could be extended today. On the surface, it really does look like Beal would be a great fit for Duke.

We can only hope.

yancem
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM

One thing to consider is that scholarships could be tight for 2011 and we may only have room for 1 guard, point or shooting. Also, if we miss on Irving and Knight, then Rivers becomes that much more important. Of course if we miss on Irving or Knight, then we may have an extra scholarship to offer.

houstondukie
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Coach K was front-and-center for many of his games this summer. I know for sure there have been phone calls from Coach K. Not sure if they have talked in person yet though.

SilkyJ
09-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Of course if we miss on Irving or Knight, then we may have an extra scholarship to offer.

Apologies for my ignorance, I like think I stay pretty current, but what happened with Knight? I thought he cut his list about ~3 weeks ago and we didn't make the cut, but then did Coach K give him a call to get us back in the game? Thanks in advance.

FireOgilvie
09-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Rivers is committed to Florida and has said that. Even if it's just a "soft verbal," why would we hold a scholarship for him? If he re-opens his recruitment, he may or may not come to Duke. I really doubt that is what is happening. Coach K doesn't give out offers until he has a chance to sit down with a recruit and his family. I'm guessing that is what is going on with Beal.

houstondukie
09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Rivers is committed to Florida and has said that. Even if it's just a "soft verbal," why would we hold a scholarship for him? If he re-opens his recruitment, he may or may not come to Duke. I really doubt that is what is happening. Coach K doesn't give out offers until he has a chance to sit down with a recruit and his family. I'm guessing that is what is going on with Beal.

What you say makes sense, but Coach K needs to get on it very soon. Beal has stated that he wants to make a committment before the start of his junior season. We need to get him on campus soon.

yancem
09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Apologies for my ignorance, I like think I stay pretty current, but what happened with Knight? I thought he cut his list about ~3 weeks ago and we didn't make the cut, but then did Coach K give him a call to get us back in the game? Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that the list that his "cutting of his list" was either premature or prematurely reported. Either way, I'm pretty sure that we are still recruiting him and he is still considering Duke. Signing him may be a long shot but there is still a chance.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM

thank you it seems your one of the few people who know that.

verga
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
one thing to consider is that Rivers is considered the better player, by how much, i couldn't tell you. I do think that Rivers is one of those elite guards everyone wants. Beal, on the other hand sounds like the "perfect" Duke kid. My thinking is, K wants to see what Rivers wants to do and if Rivers decides to stay at Florida or go somewhere else, then if Beal is still there, he would take him. We are getting ourselfs' in great position, as far as guards are concerned.

chrisheery
09-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Is that "thinking" based on just your guess? If so, it seems the explination given, that coach K hasn't talked with the young man and his family, which is a known prerequisite for a scholarship offer, seems to be a much more well-thought out and reasonable. Why would we wait for a guy with low interest who plays a different position to offer the number 1 or 2 SG on his class? (answer is we wouldn't)

ACCBBallFan
09-10-2009, 11:54 PM
The Austin Rivers saga is tough to comprehend.

I think I read somewhere quite a while back that he way trying to sway Beal toward Florida, and I doubt it was to secure his own replacement.

roywhite
09-11-2009, 12:08 AM
The Austin Rivers saga is tough to comprehend.

I think I read somewhere quite a while back that he way trying to sway Beal toward Florida, and I doubt it was to secure his own replacement.

Not able to provide a link, but I've also read that Rivers could possibly be an Andre Dawkins type in terms of an eligibility change---he's listed as class of 2011, but has a chance to graduate with the class of 2010. That would be another variable.

Of course, the main "variable" is whether Rivers will indeed go to Florida. He has said so, but there sure seems to be a lot of speculation and recruiting activity for a "committed" player.

Bob Green
09-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Apologies for my ignorance, I like think I stay pretty current, but what happened with Knight?

Knight's cut list was actually longer than originally reported:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/25/brandon-knight-has-longer-list/

yancem
09-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Knight's cut list was actually longer than originally reported:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/25/brandon-knight-has-longer-list/

Thanks for posting that link. I knew I had read that somewhere but when I looked, I couldn't find the link.

verga
09-11-2009, 11:27 PM
my thinking was exactly what i stated. I think Rivers is too good of a player for K not to have interest. We don't know what conversations have taken place between K and the Rivers family, perhaps K thinks there is a chance with the kid. K would not have sent Wojo and Nate to St. Louis to an open gym to see Beal if they weren't interested and thought they had a shot at him. As for the pg and sg scenario Rivers can play both, i believe Beal is regarded as a sg but at Duke K doesn't put labels on them, so i won't either. I agree with you about no offer coming before K has a face to face and i think thats excellent policy. Either way (Rivers or Beal) Duke would be in great shape.

ACCBBallFan
09-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Not able to provide a link, but I've also read that Rivers could possibly be an Andre Dawkins type in terms of an eligibility change---he's listed as class of 2011, but has a chance to graduate with the class of 2010. That would be another variable.

Of course, the main "variable" is whether Rivers will indeed go to Florida. He has said so, but there sure seems to be a lot of speculation and recruiting activity for a "committed" player.Yes, I remember that conjecture too.

Another possibility would be to graduate HS in 3.5 years. It's not like Doc Rivers could not afford to pay the freight for the second semester at any college Austin Rivers were to enroll in come December 2010, or January 2011, should he choose to start early as a walk-on a la Melchionni if no schoalrship were available.

Losing the other half season of eligibility is no big deal since he is unlikely to stay 4 years anyway.

So both UF and Duke are looking at Rivers and Beal and Austin at least thinks they could co-exist. Either will help whatever team they end up playing for.

ACCBBallFan
09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Given the negative ramifications of the star player leaving his HS coach and teammates hanging, relative to their probable HS champ aspirations, I highly doubt the Austin would go in mid-season from HS to college scenario, whether that be UF, Duke or somewhere else.

It would dramatically change somebody's NCAA outlook and depending on his age could be a loophole in the one year rule. (not sure if the specifics of one year from when, not that Rivers' body or game would be NBA ready by then).

ricks68
09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Just as has been stated so many times in the past, Lee was not a walk-on. He was a non-scholarship player his first year. He was recruited, and his family paid for his first year so that we could use his scholly on an extra player his first year. He went on scholarship after that.

ricks

ACCBBallFan
09-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Just as has been stated so many times in the past, Lee was not a walk-on. He was a non-scholarship player his first year. He was recruited, and his family paid for his first year so that we could use his scholly on an extra player his first year. He went on scholarship after that.

ricksGood point, poor choice of words. Obviously if the Rivers scenario were to materialized and Doc paid his way for a semester, which I do not think will happen, Austin Rivers would also be a recruited player and not a walk on.

It would only matter if he went to a team that had already granted the maximum 13 scholarships as was the Melchionni case.

Back to Beal, this old July 16th interview where Dan P at Illinoishsbasketball.com does his usual fine job of getting these guys to talk, shows how far Duke has progressed thanks to that phone call from coach K to Bradley Beal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjAMuNtiAI

Beal handles himself well during the interview, says besides himself Austin is best player, true PG who can shoot the ball, combo versus his game is different also a combo but if you want me to defend the best player, I defend and rebound.

He goes on to say he wants to play with a bunch of guys capable of winning the national championship, and that guys from Ililinois and Rivers on behalf of UF are always in his ear (July).

When asked the same question BTW, Barnes said Brandon Knight due to high basketball IQ.

Both dismissed the idea of ever going to Europe in lieu of college for a year, and stressed the value of education instilled by their parents.

Bob Green
09-14-2009, 08:06 AM
It would only matter if he went to a team that had already granted the maximum 13 scholarships as was the Melchionni case.

This statement is not technically correct. The Lee Melchionni situation was a matter of the short lived 5/8 rule, which stated a college could only provide scholarships to five players in one year and eight over two consecutive years. Lee was #6 of the "Super Six" in 2002 so he couldn't receive a scholarship as a freshman. I am 99% sure Coach Krzyzewski has never had 13 recruited players simultaneously on scholarship during his tenure.

And seeing as there are approximately 312 active recruiting threads on the EK Forum these days it is probably time to revisit these two links so all us oldtimers as well as the newbies can fine tune our perspectives:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24202

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24203

ACCBBallFan
09-15-2009, 01:32 AM
This statement is not technically correct. The Lee Melchionni situation was a matter of the short lived 5/8 rule, which stated a college could only provide scholarships to five players in one year and eight over two consecutive years. Lee was #6 of the "Super Six" in 2002 so he couldn't receive a scholarship as a freshman. I am 99% sure Coach Krzyzewski has never had 13 recruited players simultaneously on scholarship during his tenure.

And seeing as there are approximately 312 active recruiting threads on the EK Forum these days it is probably time to revisit these two links so all us oldtimers as well as the newbies can fine tune our perspectives:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24203True with respect to Melchionni situation but with 5/8 rule no longer in place, not applicable to Rivers.

NSDukeFan
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24203

These should be posted each time recruiting threads get into the woe is us stage.

ACCBBallFan
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://theshiver.com/2009/10/beal-deciding-between-three-for-midnight-madness/&ct=ga&cd=wzOdYNLjstg&usg=AFQjCNHe1aJquxXkZa7XPn7Q9W8rhmZ_pg

The decision will certainly be difficult for Beal, who has some of the best programs in the country recruiting him. Florida, Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Duke and Ohio State currently make up Beal’s list, but Beal is only deciding between three of those schools for next week’s Midnight Madness celebrations. He’ll be deciding between Florida, Illinois and Kansas when choosing where he will go for an unofficial visit.

“Yeah and Illinois as well,” said Beal, who added the Illini to Florida and Kansas as the schools he choosing between for a visit.

As for naming those schools as his top three, Beal isn’t ready to do anything like that yet.

“I mean they’re high, but I’m not sure if I even have a top three,” said Beal.

It doesn’t appear that Beal will be making his decision (edit about which midnight madness) until he returns from Colorado, where he will be attending (edit - this weekeend), but not likely to participate, in the USA Developmental team mini camp.

“Probably after Colorado,” Beal said of when he’ll decide where he will visit.

BD80
10-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Good news?

One of the top juniors, Bradley Beal, was supposed to be in Kansas for Midnight Madness - but didn't make it.
27 minutes ago from web
http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox

FireOgilvie
10-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Good news?

http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox

Awesome. See my post in the Harrison Barnes thread about why now is the smart time to avoid Kansas (team fights, DUI, arrests, Henry bros. not being team players). I'm guessing Beal may feel the same way.

rotogod00
10-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Beal announced 2 days ago he wasn't going to be able to make Kansas' Midnight Madness. Said his plans changed after he decided to go see his brother play football at Alabama State.

J.P. Tokoto also didn't attend. Supposedly had 2 tests at high school he couldn't miss.

El_Diablo
10-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Beal announced 2 days ago he wasn't going to be able to make Kansas' Midnight Madness. Said his plans changed after he decided to go see his brother play football at Alabama State.

J.P. Tokoto also didn't attend. Supposedly had 2 tests at high school he couldn't miss.

Similarly, Quincy Miller didn't attend UK's madness:

http://ukbasketball.bloginky.com/2009/10/16/scratch-quincy-miller-from-uk-madness-list/

BD80
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Fun read about Brad Beal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4638585

When it's all on the line, the 6-foot-4, 185-pound junior combo guard knows how to deliver. ...

His ability to score at will is one thing, but Beal is so hotly recruited because of his all-around game. He's an underrated passer who can play both guard spots, knock it down from long range and also defend. Add in his fearlessness at crunch time, and you can see why college coaches are battling to get him on their campus.

... Beal is so smooth on the hardwood that he's drawn comparisons to Boston Celtics sharpshooter Ray Allen.

... averaging 23.5 points per game on 51.3 percent shooting from the field and 40 percent shooting on 3-pointers. He also contributed 5.1 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 2.1 steals and 2.1 blocks per game. ...

Lee was impressed by Beal's postseason run, but he still counts the 52-point performance against CBC as the greatest he's seen at the high school level. ... "When he got it going, it was unbelievable."

Don Showalter had the same reaction while coaching Beal with the USA Basketball Men's U16 National Team this past summer at the FIBA Americas Championship in Argentina. Beal paced the team in scoring at 19 points per game in five contests and poured in a game-high 26 as the U.S. toppled the host country, 101-87, in the gold medal game. ...

... "He's a player who wants the ball in his hands when he knows we need to score." ...

... his parents, Besta and Bobby, both former athletes at Kentucky State, won't let him rest on his laurels. His mom, a former basketball player, and his dad, a former football player, regularly challenge their son to games of HORSE and Around the World. If Beal loses, he has to run.

I put the link in this thread because the one entitled "Brad Beal" was frankly rather snarky.

This kid sounds REALLY special, so his thread should be snark-free.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Brad is a special kid, i hope we don't have to choice between Rivers and Beal.

Huh?
11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Why couldn't they play together?

JasonEvans
11-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Brad is a special kid, i hope we don't have to choice between Rivers and Beal.

A) we should be so cursed as to have to choose between these two fabulous ball players ;)

B) if K wants both of them and they both want to come to Duke, I am sure the staff and administration will figure out a way to make it happen. This is a lot of worry about something inconsequential, I think.

--Jason "counting scholarships when we have no idea about NBA and transfer decisions is a game simply too speculative to be worth palying" Evans

soccerstud2210
11-10-2009, 05:34 PM
A) we should be so cursed as to have to choose between these two fabulous ball players ;)

B) if K wants both of them and they both want to come to Duke, I am sure the staff and administration will figure out a way to make it happen. This is a lot of worry about something inconsequential, I think.

--Jason "counting scholarships when we have no idea about NBA and transfer decisions is a game simply too speculative to be worth palying" Evans

jason,

just watched your son's PK video. nice work. way to step up and knock it down!!

Tim1515
11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Why couldn't they play together?

It is probably a question of game time and available scholarships. Duke will have Dawkins, Irving, Curry, Thornton and hopefully one of River or Beal. Adding both may just not be possible from Duke's side and maybe not wanted on their side.

CEF1959
11-10-2009, 07:30 PM
It is probably a question of game time and available scholarships. Duke will have Dawkins, Irving, Curry, Thornton and hopefully one of River or Beal. Adding both may just not be possible from Duke's side and maybe not wanted on their side.

Probably more the latter than the former. As Dorothy said in The Wizard of Oz: "My, people come and go so quickly here." So coaches try to load up and worry about an abundance of riches later if people all stay and stay healthy. If you've got 'em, a fast three-guard lineup can be devastating offensively.

For players, it's a real issue. And other coaches exploit that in recruiting. ("Why go to Duke and play behind X and Y? We need a starter.") So if Rivers commits to Duke, that would probably be one too many young guards for Beal.

Of course, anything can happen in a year and a half, and Beal may decide he wants to come to Duke, compete for PT, and get an education.

Kedsy
11-10-2009, 11:36 PM
For players, it's a real issue. And other coaches exploit that in recruiting. ("Why go to Duke and play behind X and Y? We need a starter.") So if Rivers commits to Duke, that would probably be one too many young guards for Beal.

I remember a story about an interview with Elton Brand when he was in high school and had just chosen Duke. The team had four returning forwards who had started at least a few games the year before (albeit mostly small forwards) and were also bringing in Battier and Burgess, both of whom had spent time as the #1 recruit in the country. The interviewer asked Brand why he chose Duke when he had to compete with all those other players for playing time, and Elton answered something along the lines of, the way he saw it, the others had to compete with him.

Putting aside that Elton was right, my point is I don't think the top recruits look at it the way you (and many others) suggest. They're teenagers, and they probably read their own press clippings and thus have plenty of self-confidence. Every top 30 recruit assumes he's going to start and get a lot of minutes. No matter where they go, no matter how stacked the team is, and no matter how realistic the expectation. If Beal likes Duke and is friends with Rivers, I can't imagine a Rivers commitment would diminish Beal's desire to come to Duke.

If K said to him that he wouldn't start, it might be a different story, but I'd be surprised if he'd say something like that to Beal. More likely he'd say, you're going to have to compete for playing time and if you're one of the best five you'll start. And I can't imagine a top 10 recruit like Beal hearing that and not expecting to start every game.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Although Rivers is ranked higher than Beal, I find it very possible that if they were to both commit to duke or any school together that Beal can win the starting job in practice. Not saying he will but i think he can.

dukieinhebron
11-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Looks like Duke is no longer in the running, hope Rivers comes through.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=923915&nid=3798620&fhn=1

kcduke75
11-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I saw this where we are still listed.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/nov/28/top-rated-basketball-recruit-bradley-beal-make-col/

But the silence is deafening so I assume the worst.

kcduke75

JaMarcus Russell
11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I read that he will be committing next week as well. A lot of the fans on TDD think he is going to commit to Florida, so I wonder how that affects the Rivers situation.

jlear
11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Beal to the Gators (link (http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2009/11/30/1178855/bradley-beal-announcement-coming-up))

2nd link (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/nov/30/st-louis-prep-beal-chooses-florida/)

Kedsy
11-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Beal to the Gators (link (http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2009/11/30/1178855/bradley-beal-announcement-coming-up))

2nd link (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/nov/30/st-louis-prep-beal-chooses-florida/)

So now the question is whether Mr. Beal's commitment makes it more likely or less likely that Mr. Rivers stays in Gainesville? I've heard they were interested in playing together, although I've also heard Austin is interested in playing with Kyrie. The plot thickens...

G man
11-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Well I am not sure I like the idea of him going to Florida it is not a positive in regards to us and Rivers. I don't think that it ends the discussion, but it is another positive for Florida.

SupaDave
11-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Well I am not sure I like the idea of him going to Florida it is not a positive in regards to us and Rivers. I don't think that it ends the discussion, but it is another positive for Florida.

I'm not so sure about that. You guys are forgetting that now Florida's backcourt would presumably be Boynton, Beal, and Rivers - three guards who would like the ball in their hands.

CDu
11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm not so sure about that. You guys are forgetting that now Florida's backcourt would presumably be Boynton, Beal, and Rivers - three guards who would like the ball in their hands.

Well, our backcourt isn't really any less crowded with Irving and Curry, right? Rivers would be choosing between a backcourt rotation with Irving/Curry and a backcourt rotation with Boynton/Beal, as well as any other wing players (like Dawkins for us). It seems like a fairly comparable situation in terms of on-court issues.

SupaDave
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Well, our backcourt isn't really any less crowded with Irving and Curry, right? Rivers would be choosing between a backcourt rotation with Irving/Curry and a backcourt rotation with Boynton/Beal, as well as any other wing players (like Dawkins for us). It seems like a fairly comparable situation in terms of on-court issues.

I can agree with that but I'm not actually talking about depth. I'm talking about actually getting the ball out of Boynton's hands!!!

NYDukie
11-30-2009, 01:40 PM

Seems like it will probably come down to which team has the best makeup to make the best run for a national championship along with connection and relationship with the coaches and players. It will be definitely be interesting to see how this proceeds.

CDu
11-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Seems like it will probably come down to which team has the best makeup to make the best run for a national championship along with connection and relationship with the coaches and players. It will be definitely be interesting to see how this proceeds.

Well, I am sure that it will come down to wherever he feels he fits in best (which could likely include lots of things in addition to on-court fit). I was merely commenting on the fact that we'll have a pretty crowded backcourt with guys who want the ball in their hands as well. Not that that would be a bad thing. The more really good guards the better!

CDu
11-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I can agree with that but I'm not actually talking about depth. I'm talking about actually getting the ball out of Boynton's hands!!!

Well, I wasn't really talking about depth either. I would imagine Irving and Curry will want to have the ball in their hands a bunch, too. I just don't see Rivers getting a dramatically increased share of the ball coming to Duke as opposed to UF. But obviously, who knows?

juise
11-30-2009, 01:53 PM

From what I can tell, Boynton doesn't so much like having the ball in his hands as he likes getting it out of his hands... by launching it toward the rim. :)

NYDukie
11-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Well, I am sure that it will come down to wherever he feels he fits in best (which could likely include lots of things in addition to on-court fit). I was merely commenting on the fact that we'll have a pretty crowded backcourt with guys who want the ball in their hands as well. Not that that would be a bad thing. The more really good guards the better!

You got that right, no matter which school Rivers would go to there would be an abundant amount of backcourt talent. Just that Duke's would be better!!

tommy
05-06-2010, 04:26 PM
A poster yesterday linked, on the Austin Rivers thread, to his own blog, where he opined that Beal may be looking to de-commit from Florida already. If that turns out to be true, would we be interested in resuming our recruiting of him, or does K and the staff take the position that he didn't want to be here at first, so forget it, we don't really need him and we'll be just fine without him?

If the latter is the attitude that is taken, how would that square with accepting transfers, which by definition means accepting kids who originally chose another program over Duke's?

BD80
05-06-2010, 04:33 PM
A poster yesterday linked, on the Austin Rivers thread, to his own blog, where he opined that Beal may be looking to de-commit from Florida already. If that turns out to be true, would we be interested in resuming our recruiting of him, or does K and the staff take the position that he didn't want to be here at first, so forget it, we don't really need him and we'll be just fine without him?
If the latter is the attitude that is taken, how would that square with accepting transfers, which by definition means accepting kids who originally chose another program over Duke's?

You saw that in the Austin Rivers thread?

The thread about Austin Rivers, who committed to Florida, decommitted and is now being vigorously recruited by Duke? Austin Rivers who is expected to soon commit to Duke?

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

tommy
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
The second clause of my second sentence contains the question.

duke1983
05-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't think they will heavily recruit Beal, not because of Beal's interest level, but rather they will have a very strong backcourt with or without him. If they can land Rivers, they will prob. focus more on bigs.

baby-face dawkins
05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Is this the source being talked about?

http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/05/05/weekly-whispers-552010/

Rich
05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
You saw that in the Austin Rivers thread?

The thread about Austin Rivers, who committed to Florida, decommitted and is now being vigorously recruited by Duke? Austin Rivers who is expected to soon commit to Duke?

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

The second clause of my second sentence contains the question.

I think BD80 was being facetious. It's obvious that K would be interested in re-recruiting him based on what's going on with Rivers.

airowe
05-06-2010, 07:10 PM
There was some trouble getting Brad to Durham to visit Duke's campus. The transfer rumors have been out there since about two weeks after his commitment to Florida.

Barring something unforeseen occurring with the Austin Rivers recruitment, there simply isn't a place for Beal in our lineup. Although he is extremely talented, I don't see him coming to Duke. Whoever gets him (I'm thinking he stays at Florida) will be very lucky.

tommy
05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
There was some trouble getting Brad to Durham to visit Duke's campus. The transfer rumors have been out there since about two weeks after his commitment to Florida.

Barring something unforeseen occurring with the Austin Rivers recruitment, there simply isn't a place for Beal in our lineup. Although he is extremely talented, I don't see him coming to Duke. Whoever gets him (I'm thinking he stays at Florida) will be very lucky.

Well, that's what I was wondering. Would there be room? The backcourt will lose Nolan, obviously. If Irving were to go pro after one year -- not saying he will, but for argument's sake say he does -- then our backcourt for '11-'12, assuming no other departures, would include Curry, Dawkins, Thornton, and Rivers, assuming we get Austin. Frontcourt players would include Gbinje (maybe considered a swingman?), Felix, Hairston, Adams, and the Plumlees. So we'd have a total of 10 guys, 4 of which would be more or less "pure" guards. I know K doesn't like to utilize all his scholarships, but if Beal is that good, wouldn't there be room? I know it's almost like a dream scenario, 'cause man, that team would be loaded.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Well, that's what I was wondering. Would there be room? The backcourt will lose Nolan, obviously. If Irving were to go pro after one year -- not saying he will, but for argument's sake say he does -- then our backcourt for '11-'12, assuming no other departures, would include Curry, Dawkins, Thornton, and Rivers, assuming we get Austin. Frontcourt players would include Gbinje (maybe considered a swingman?), Felix, Hairston, Adams, and the Plumlees. So we'd have a total of 10 guys, 4 of which would be more or less "pure" guards. I know K doesn't like to utilize all his scholarships, but if Beal is that good, wouldn't there be room? I know it's almost like a dream scenario, 'cause man, that team would be loaded.

Don't forget Ryan Kelly. Come on!! That's 11

airowe
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM

I know we all like to think every kid wants to come to Duke, but we can't possibly know if Kyrie is leaving early until the Spring of next year. I doubt Brad will drop everything and come to Duke if we start throwing interest his way that late in the game...

DukeBlueNV
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
i remember reading somewhere i think it was thedevilsden (i dont have a link this was months ago) had an interview with beal when he was still a target, where he said he has been a duke fan for a while and idolized jj redick. just saying... but i doubt we get him (i dont think he decommits either) but the backcourt would be too crowded. and the fact we are talking about this is a lil rediculous we should realize how lucky we are with all the talent on the team now and coming in the future. plus once we get austin (assuming all these rumors are true, that its only a matter of time) we should all take a deep breath and relax when it comes to recruiting, be happy with what we got and not covet players that we dont really need.

sandinmyshoes
05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure I like this decommitting trend in basketball. I'd hate for it to get as bad as it is in football. Nothing worse than having to disparage a player you've convinced yourself is great for the program. :o

tommy
05-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I know we all like to think every kid wants to come to Duke, but we can't possibly know if Kyrie is leaving early until the Spring of next year. I doubt Brad will drop everything and come to Duke if we start throwing interest his way that late in the game...

Yeah, you're right. The timing would make it pretty unlikely. And another poster pointed out I also forgot about Ryan Kelly. So he'd make 11. And if we are fortunate enough to land Quincy Miller, that would be 12 anyway. That team would be awfully strong too.

CEF1959
05-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure I like this decommitting trend in basketball. I'd hate for it to get as bad as it is in football. Nothing worse than having to disparage a player you've convinced yourself is great for the program. :o

I agree. There have been several posts here suggesting that, from a player's standpoint, it's stupid to sign a LOI when you can get the school to commit to you without one. Absolutely true, but it sure plays havoc with recruiting. And it will get worse if verbal commitments are widely seen as tentative. A smart high school sophomore or junior would lock in somewhere to get the guarantee, then leverage that with other schools. Or look at the Terrence Jones recruitment. He's unsure of himself, announces for Washington, and is immediately being "invited" to back out of the commitment. Not healthy.

Except for the Austin Rivers thing. That was a good decommit. :D