PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Singler Awards

airowe
09-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Here's the first one for this season:

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204790545

Junior Kyle Singler was chosen as a preseason first team All-America selection by FoxSports.com on Wednesday.

Singler joins senior Luke Harangody of Notre Dame, freshman Derrick Favors of Georgia Tech, freshman John Wall of Kentucky and sophomore Willie Warren of Oklahoma on the first team.

SilkyJ
09-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Here's the first one for this season:

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204790545

I dont think that really counts as an award, but high praise nonetheless. I don't know if I would have him on my 1st team in the preseason, but if he performs at that level this year, then I think we'll be in for a good ride :)

airowe
09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I dont think that really counts as an award, but high praise nonetheless. I don't know if I would have him on my 1st team in the preseason, but if he performs at that level this year, then I think we'll be in for a good ride :)

Just trying to be forward thinking and start a general thread to collect ALL of the awards Kyle will be getting this year. ;)

NovaScotian
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
on another note, there are two players who haven't played a game of college basketball but are pre-season All-Americans. wow. can you think of another year this happened? Oden and Durant?

verga
09-09-2009, 10:59 PM
it's nice to name players of merit for the upcoming year but if John Wall is your 1st. team AA, i'll be surprised. jmo

Azdukefan
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
I know Kyle is listed with a pair of freshmen and a senior that may not even make the tournament (the only solid choice in my mind besides Kyle is Willie Warren) but come on guys, this is huge! Congrats Kyle, now go out and solidy this choice and a NPOY is yours to lose IMO.

JasonEvans
09-10-2009, 10:10 AM
It is a nice tip of the cap for Kyle and a reward, of sorts, for his play last season...

...but putting 2 freshmen on the list is absurd and sorta serves to invalidate the whole thing. We know next to nothing about what these kids will be like in college and the impact they will have on the game. A year ago, they probably would have put Greg Monroe on the first time All-American list.

Frankly, the spot Wall takes should be given to Sherron Collins. But, there are not a lot of established PGs around. After Collins, you are looking at guys like Kemba Walker. Heck, Nolan Smith starts to enter the conversation fairly quickly and he just does not have the college resume (yet) to be up for All-American recognition.

I find it a lot harder to justify Favors on the first team. There are plenty of established and well-regarded big men in the game. What about Cole Aldrich, Patrick Patterson, and even our friend Ed Davis down the road? All those guys have shown playing against other college players that they can dominate games and be a major force in the paint. Putting Favors ahead of them makes no sense to me.

I'd add Greg Monroe to the list, but I don't think he's a post player the way the other guys I mentioned. He is competing for Luke's spot and, frankly, I think he will be better than Haragody this season.

--Jason "I do like the notion of a collection of awards for Kyle as I too think he is gonna fill up the hardware case this season" Evans

ACCBBallFan
09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Having two frosh on first team and one NPOY, accomplished his objective of getting people to read it and discuss. Would have been better to just list Wall as All Frosh leader, and put him on a different team than #1.

His bigger mistake though was not having Scottie Reynolds on any of his half dozen or so teams.

Getting this type of national recognition is first step toward Kyle delivering on the prediction. Two guys with comparable stats, one the pre-season consensus guy and the other not, nod goes to to the one getting hyped.