PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Cut's Press Conference, 9-8

jimsumner
09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Cut opened press conference by stating the was looking for casts and crutches to see who had become injured by jumping off the bandwagon. :)

Things Duke needs to do better this week.
1.Win kicking game
2.Be "way more physical."
3.Do a better job of converting third downs
4.Consistency of execution

Place-kicking still up for grabs between Maggio and Snyderwine. Asack "not in the mix."

Kinney Rucker's return "awesome" and a reflection of his committment to the team

Brandon Harper moved back to OL. Cut singled out Hill and Moore from the OL. Rest of the unit? Not so much.

Reasons for ineffective running game v. Richmond.
1.Richmond scheme designed to take Boyette out of game
2.Poor adjustments by Duke, including Lewis
3.Missed blocks

Praise for freshmen Vernon and Watkins. Expect to see more true freshmen this week v. Army, especially defenders Drew, Gamble, and Campbell.

Good practice today. Much time spent on adjusting to Army's triple-option offense.

Injury report Thursday.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Cut opened press conference by stating the was looking for casts and crutches to see who had become injured by jumping off the bandwagon. :)

Things Duke needs to do better this week.
1.Win kicking game
2.Be "way more physical."
3.Do a better job of converting third downs
4.Consistency of execution

Place-kicking still up for grabs between Maggio and Snyderwine. Asack "not in the mix."

Kinney Rucker's return "awesome" and a reflection of his committment to the team

Brandon Harper moved back to OL. Cut singled out Hill and Moore from the OL. Rest of the unit? Not so much.

Reasons for ineffective running game v. Richmond.
1.Richmond scheme designed to take Boyette out of game
2.Poor adjustments by Duke, including Lewis
3.Missed blocks

Praise for freshmen Vernon and Watkins. Expect to see more true freshmen this week v. Army, especially defenders Drew, Gamble, and Campbell.

Good practice today. Much time spent on adjusting to Army's triple-option offense.

Injury report Thursday.

Thanks for these notes, Jim.

Have to admire Coach's honesty and sense of humor! He doesn't sugarcoat what needs to be said.

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Have to admire Coach's honesty and sense of humor! He doesn't sugarcoat what needs to be said.
Very true. Thanks for the update Jim.
I like hearing that he called out Lewis, but I think he should. I also was very impressed that he left Lewis in the game on Saturday. I was surprised that we didn't see Renfree in the first half (not as a replacement, but giving him the experience Cutcliffe said he needed). Once it was evident he wasn't going in during the first, I thought it was really good of Cutcliffe to not bring him in the second. To me that showed his confidence in Thad. He let it be Thad's game to win or lose. Unfortunately it was a loss, but he left it in one QB's hands. That impressed me; we haven't seen that at Duke for a few years now.

6th Man
09-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I am glad to hear Cut threw some praise to Vernon. Seriously, for those who have not given up on Duke, watch #2 when he is in the game. Pretty impressive freshman. I think if he started, he could put up huge numbers. I think Snyderwine deserves a chance. Maggio has had enough chances to prove himself.