PDA

View Full Version : FB: Miami 38, FSU 34

A-Tex Devil
09-07-2009, 11:23 PM
It's ACC Football, so I guess on topic. Game is 31-24 right now with Miami driving. You don't have to like these teams at all, but seeing them play a good football game with great offensive and defensive plays is nice to see for the ACC.

Both of these teams look good. Baybe not top 10 good, but potentially.... maybe. Miami just scored to tie it up. Really fun game.

Bluedog
09-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Squib/pooch kicks = stupidity. And my least favorite play call unless it's the VERY last play. Why do some coaches love it so much? I never get it. Will be interesting to see what FSU does down 4 with 1:45 to go at midfield...

Edit: Terrible clock management by FSU. But still have a good chance to win.

Edit 2: Commentators are stupid. "No difference that the pass interference was called." What?!? 4th and 5 at the 7 is no different than 1st and goal at the 2 with 14 seconds left? That makes no sense.

rotogod00
09-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Last play.....

FireOgilvie
09-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Woooow what a great game! Incomplete pass at the last second. I can't stand either team, especially the Criminoles, but that was great football.

rotogod00
09-07-2009, 11:52 PM
.....caught. no!

great, great game

tommy
09-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Squib/pooch kicks = stupidity. And my least favorite play call unless it's the VERY last play. Why do some coaches love it so much? I never get it. Will be interesting to see what FSU does down 4 with 1:45 to go at midfield...

Edit: Terrible clock management by FSU. But still have a good chance to win.

Edit 2: Commentators are stupid. "No difference that the pass interference was called." What?!? 4th and 5 at the 7 is no different than 1st and goal at the 2 with 14 seconds left? That makes no sense.

I like those commentators a lot, certainly they're a lot better than Mike Patrick and (fill in the blank). But they also blew it when asserting that FSU's missed extra point was figuring to be a key play in the game, as it went down the stretch. While it could've been big, later FSU went for, and made, a 2 point conversion, essentially erasing the missed PAT. The missed PAT therefore had no impact on the outcome or strategy of the game.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I like those commentators a lot, certainly they're a lot better than Mike Patrick and (fill in the blank). But they also blew it when asserting that FSU's missed extra point was figuring to be a key play in the game, as it went down the stretch. While it could've been big, later FSU went for, and made, a 2 point conversion, essentially erasing the missed PAT. The missed PAT therefore had no impact on the outcome or strategy of the game.
You're right as FSU would have gone for 1 PAT instead of the 2.

Anyone else surprised that Bobby Bowden let all that time run off the clock? Bad clock management at his age? Shame! :eek:

miramar
09-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Anyone else surprised that Bobby Bowden let all that time run off the clock? Bad clock management at his age? Shame! :eek:

It was surprising to say the least. But speaking of his age...

And when was the last time that Mickey Andrews' defense let receivers get five yards behind them on practically every drive in the 4Q?

Maybe the ACC is a basketball conference after all.

blazindw
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
As Tha U is my law school alma mater, it's easy to see that I'm EXTREMELY happy this morning after last night's victory! It was a great game, lots of offense on both sides. But, the Canes are victorious!

In my opinion, it's going to be a great year in Coral Gables for some football.

bjornolf
09-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I have to agree with Bowden, much as it pains me. As much as I dislike both teams, that was one of the most exciting college football games I've seen in a LONG time. And I liked that it ended with a goal line stand.

A-Tex Devil
09-08-2009, 10:44 AM
They were saying on the local radio show here that the last play should have been reviewed for the CLOCK, not the incompletion. They were saying that there was a full second on the clock when the refs ran in and blew the whistle signaling incomplete. That was a 3rd down play. I haven't looked at the tape yet since I heard that argument, but curious if others agreed?

calltheobvious
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Really weak finish for Nessler and Blackledge. In addition to the issue you mention, there were two other major mistakes down the stretch:

1) On the third-down penalty against Miami (can't remember whether it was holding or PI) after the ball had fallen incomplete, Nessler said, "I'm not sure that makes much difference." Really? You're not sure it makes much difference that FSU gets a first down rather than facing 4th and goal with more than ten seconds left?

2) Ozzie mentioned the situation, but not nearly enough attention was paid to the twenty-ish seconds that FSU allowed to run down after gaining the first first down inside the ten. Bowden-Fisher got cute there, paying more attention to how much time would remain after a TD than they did to scoring the TD. They absolutely should have called TO with 43 seconds left, and the announcing duo should have said as much.

94duke
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Were they out of timeouts by that point?

blazindw
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
No, they had a timeout left. We thought they had called a timeout after Benjamin's catch at the 3 yard line for Tha U, but the timeout was for a review of the play, so FSU still had one to use.

And as for the clock, they mentioned that it usually takes 5 seconds for a play like that to go, which is exactly how much was left. I think that if the TD were to stand, I don't think they would have added the time anyway. Once there was 5 seconds left, we all knew that it was the last play either way.

Wander
09-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Not to ruin the fun, but I'm not sure that FSU and Miami are "back" like a lot of people are saying. I think it's more probable that we look back in a few weeks after losses to BYU, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech and realize it was a close exciting game between two medium-level teams.

A-Tex Devil
09-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Not to ruin the fun, but I'm not sure that FSU and Miami are "back" like a lot of people are saying. I think it's more probable that we look back in a few weeks after losses to BYU, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech and realize it was a close exciting game between two medium-level teams.

Yeah.... I am not **sure** they are back either, but that was a pretty well played game with good offensive play, which you can't really say for most of their games the past 4-5 years (last year notwithstanding, but both teams had proved to be average by that point).

FSU will beat BYU in Provo. Mark it down. :D

And speaking of non-BCS schools. Someone beat Boise. Please. I don't want to have to watch them get smoked in a BCS game if they play a Big XII school or USC. (They were physically dominated by TCU last year, but coaching kept them in that game). This team isn't nearly as good as the team that beat OU. And that game was more on Bobby Stoops thinking he could coast than anything else. Chris Peterson is a really good coach, though. Wonder where he'll end up?

Wander
09-08-2009, 01:04 PM
FSU will beat BYU in Provo. Mark it down. :D

No way. BYU is meeting Florida in the title game. Just watch. :)

tommy
09-08-2009, 01:42 PM
You're right as FSU would have gone for 1 PAT instead of the 2.

I'm not sure Bobby Bowden is doing much of anything these days, at his age. I kind of think the announcers and ESPN's director were acknowledging as much by the amount of attention and face time they gave to FSU's offensive and defensive coordinators, Fisher and Andrews. Heck, the fact that both of those names are as familiar as they are should tell us something: they're the ones coaching this team, and Bowden is kind of just standing there. In fact, of all the shots of him on the sideline, I'm not sure I ever saw him utter a word to anyone. Great career, great record, but clearly he's not doing any heavy lifting anymore.

miramar
09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
2) Ozzie mentioned the situation, but not nearly enough attention was paid to the twenty-ish seconds that FSU allowed to run down after gaining the first first down inside the ten. Bowden-Fisher got cute there, paying more attention to how much time would remain after a TD than they did to scoring the TD. They absolutely should have called TO with 43 seconds left, and the announcing duo should have said as much.

I taped the end of the game and I went back and watched the last few minutes. FSU had a first and ten on the Miami 12 with 1:10 to go and the clock stopped to move the chains, but they didn't snap the ball until the 53 second mark. So they wasted 17 seconds there, and even more after the complete pass to the four or five, so by the time Miami called time in the midst of all the confusion there were only 23 seconds left. So FSU only ran one play in 47 seconds, and then threw four passes in the last 23 seconds because they couldn't risk running the ball and having the clock run out. Doh!

whereinthehellami
09-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Both teams were getting burned badly on returns. FSU's Reid and Miami's Cooper were a threat to take one to the house each time they touched the ball. Early in the season special teams aren't as crisp as some coaches would like and that can lead to quick touchdowns. I think Squibs and pooch quicks can be good but they have to be executed properly just like the coverage units on the kickoffs and punt units. I don't see why some coaches just don't opt to quick the ball out of bounds. The other team gets it at the 40 right (used to be 35?). That would have been better than alot of the quickoffs, squibs, and pooches.