PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 35, USMA 19

RelativeWays
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
We tanked Saturday and there's nothing that can be done about it except learn (and hopefully get really mad for the next game). Army is probably not as good as Richmond and they sure as heck aren't as good as Navy from last year. Doesn't matter, if this team comes out flat and can't figure things out, it could be a repeat of Saturday. Rather than mope, whine and bail out, lets get behind the team so they can get their @#$# together and come out like their butts are on fire. There are 11 games left. Lets go NOW DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6th Man
09-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Well looking on the bright side...I think #2 Conner Vernon has tons of potential considering he is a true freshman. I will be interested to see if we see some lineup changes. I thought he played well when he was in there. Better than some guys ahead of him. What about Desmond Scott? Is he redshirting this year? We need some playmakers now!

Maybe we can beat Army, gain some confidence and shock Kansas. I thought we would start 3-1...maybe we will, not just the way I thought. College football is wild and crazy. Who knows....

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Well looking on the bright side...I think #2 Conner Vernon has tons of potential considering he is a true freshman. I will be interested to see if we see some lineup changes. I thought he played well when he was in there. Better than some guys ahead of him. What about Desmond Scott? Is he redshirting this year? We need some playmakers now!

Maybe we can beat Army, gain some confidence and shock Kansas. I thought we would start 3-1...maybe we will, not just the way I thought. College football is wild and crazy. Who knows....

Every week brings a new opportunity for the phoenix to rise.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-06-2009, 09:57 PM
What about Desmond Scott? Is he redshirting this year? We need some playmakers now!

I'm pretty sure that the coaches want to redshirt Scott, but probably haven't made a final decision yet. One of the coaches said he might be a contributor on special teams this year, but I think they held him out yesterday, again, not wanting to burn the redshirt if they don't have to.

lifelongdevil
09-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that the coaches want to redshirt Scott, but probably haven't made a final decision yet. One of the coaches said he might be a contributor on special teams this year, but I think they held him out yesterday, again, not wanting to burn the redshirt if they don't have to.

Due to some good aisle seats last night, where the parents of the players walk up and down during the game, as per Desmond's father talking to someone a row below, "Word is he's going to redshirt this year." He didn't sound unequivocal, but fairly certain. ....I guess that was before our rushing effort of last night though.

Bob Green
09-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm of the opinion that playing Desmond Scott will not alleviate our rushing woes. We need better blocking and we need fifth year redshirt seniors so the less true freshmen who play the better. Injuries throughout the course of the season will probably be the key factor in which freshman play and which ones redshirt.

YourLandlord
09-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I am going to this game. We better win.

wolfpackdevil
09-06-2009, 11:03 PM

And if we don't, the sun is still gonna rise Sunday morning. There will still be 10 games left in the season. And were still gonna watch and critisize no matter if their 12-0 or 0-12.

It's just a game. A lot of people need to realize, in football and basketball.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Next play.

Dig in and fight like you mean it.

Go Devils!

CameronBornAndBred
09-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Have a great time! I hope we do pull out the win, we've got a very good chance, but as last game proved it sure ain't a given. I think we will see the same physical team out there playing that never let the Richmond game get out of reach. It was our mental mistakes that did that. If we play with more poise we will be ok.
Check out the "practing smarter" article (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204789082)on goduke. It covers the need for doing just that.

Bluedog
09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Vegas lines currently have Army as a 2.5 pt favorite.

Devilsfan
09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
It's inconceivable that an ACC team would start the season losing to the likes of Richmond and Army.

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2009, 02:29 PM
It's inconceivable that an ACC team would start the season losing to the likes of Richmond and Army.
Why? We've lost to both before. And I'm pretty sure we aren't the only ACC team that has lost to Army. They are down now, but they are a military school, and those guys don't quit. Navy has been down before as well, and look at them now. As far as Richmond, several have already noted (including myself before that game) that they were not a team to take as a guaranteed win. (I still predicted a win, and if they played again this week, I'd predict another. Special teams can't be that bad two weeks in a row!:eek:)

Devilsfan
09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
We have better teachers! I believe we will learn from our mistakes and win on Saturday. Just my opion and my faith in our team and staff. That said Navy surprised me last Saturday.

jafarr1
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM

While I'm by no means pleased by Duke's performance last weekend (and that's a tremendous understatement), it's worth remembering that UVa lost to the likes of William and Mary, and much more convincingly. There were some truly embarrassing losses around the ACC last week.

RainingThrees
09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
All I want to see is some life in our running game. Thad can't do it all himself, the O-line and the RB's need to step up.

Kfanarmy
09-09-2009, 01:28 AM
We have better teachers!
Can you explain that?

NYC Duke Fan
09-09-2009, 02:18 AM

I will be there also. Taking my 8 year old grandson.

OldPhiKap
09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
All I want to see is some life in our running game. Thad can't do it all himself, the O-line and the RB's need to step up.

Word.

Devilsfan
09-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Kfanarmy, yes I will explain but it should be obvious. Look at the pedigree of our head coach and the staff. Coach Cut is the teacher of some fairly famous qbs, Peyton and Eli to name just two. Our staff is comprised of former NFL assistants and we retained Scotty (who the players liked and repsected) from our past regime. To me its a given that we have better teachers. Coaches are teachers! We should and will start benefiting from our top notch staff.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Kfanarmy, yes I will explain but it should be obvious. Look at the pedigree of our head coach and the staff. Coach Cut is the teacher of some fairly famous qbs, Peyton and Eli to name just two. Our staff is comprised of former NFL assistants and we retained Scotty (who the players liked and repsected) from our past regime. To me its a given that we have better teachers. Coaches are teachers! We should and will start benefiting from our top notch staff.

In addition to a solid head coach and staff being an asset, these coaches bring a very detailed, organized system and playbook. They aren't "building the plane while flying it" as our recent inexperienced head coaches have had to try to do.

Devilsfan
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I hope not, because they aren't exactly on welfare. You should get what you pay for. We will reap the rewards of our very professional coaching staff.
It just may take a little while.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I hope not, because they aren't exactly on welfare. You should get what you pay for. We will reap the rewards of our very professional coaching staff.
It just may take a little while.

Strange as it may seem, I'd say time is on our side.

davekay1971
09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Since we had 2 1-AA (FCS, whatever) teams scheduled this year, this is the first game that matters in terms of bowl eligibility. If Duke beats NCCU (ahem...we better), that gives us the 1 win we could count from FCS teams toward bowl eligibility. A Richmond win (assuming we beat NCCU) could not count toward our 6 wins anyway.

How's that for positive spin? In terms of bowl eligibility, we're 0-0, baby! Go Duke, Beat Army!

TheRose77
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
60% chance of rain on Saturday. While it may be uncomfortable for me and my crew who will be in the stands, I wonder how it will affect the game.

RelativeWays
09-10-2009, 01:09 PM
60% chance of rain on Saturday. While it may be uncomfortable for me and my crew who will be in the stands, I wonder how it will affect the game.

Neither the passing game or the triple option are terribly effective when its wet. I'm hoping our team remembers how to defend against the TO, seeing it twice last year and doing a decent job with it (until the 4th qtr against GT). The Triple Option is the only reason I'm nervous about this game, it can be hard to defend if your guys are not quick off the ball. Maybe Coach Cut's philosphy of having a lean strong line will pay off here. I wonder if a 5-2 scheme might be the best to run. My understanding is that Army seldom passes and it should be easily telegraphed when they are trying to pass out of the option (look for the WR who isn't blocking but instead running a straight sideline pattern).

On top of everything I hope our guys come out mad and hungry, not scared or apprehensive that they might lose (because then they WILL lose).

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Seven freshman played in the first game (3 on offense or defense and 4 on special teams). We can hope that they are better prepared for college football this week. I continue to have confidence in Coach Cutcliffe and the staff to help the team overcome any psychological hurdles lingering from the first game.

Let's hope that Coach K's presence will be inspiring as well.

Bob Green
09-10-2009, 04:58 PM
If Duke beats NCCU (ahem...we better), that gives us the 1 win we could count from FCS teams toward bowl eligibility. A Richmond win (assuming we beat NCCU) could not count toward our 6 wins anyway.

How's that for positive spin? In terms of bowl eligibility, we're 0-0, baby! Go Duke, Beat Army!

A win over NCCU will not count toward bowl eligibility due to the scholarship percentage requirement. We need to win six of our remaining 10 games against FBS opponents to qualify to play in a bowl game.

Kfanarmy
09-11-2009, 12:42 AM

While I can appreciate the enthusiasm for the new staff, the better teachers piece caused me to pause...and it wasn't obvious to me why. It seems you meant better teachers at Duke than in the past, rather than better teachers than at Army, which is what I thought you meant at first...that being the case, I understand.

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2009, 09:52 PM
With the forecast calling for a wet field, this will be interesting. Army is a lot of run, and we'd obviously like to run more than we did last Saturday. It might turn out to be the better passing game prevails.
Anyways, a little over 12 hours until game time. GO DUKE!!!!

loran16
09-12-2009, 01:17 AM
I'll be there tomorrow (err today?) so WE BETTER WIN!

LETS GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2009, 07:30 AM
4 1/2 hours to go!
GO DUKE!!

chrishoke
09-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Let's do it Devils. Go Duke! Play with passion.

throatybeard
09-12-2009, 12:28 PM
A win over NCCU will not count toward bowl eligibility due to the scholarship percentage requirement. We need to win six of our remaining 10 games against FBS opponents to qualify to play in a bowl game.

And even then, how attractive would a 6-6 Duke team be to the bowls? If we have a bunch of mediocre but bowl-eligible ACC teams like last year, Duke may need 7 I-A wins...

Incidentally, I just discovered this game is on CBS C, 152 on Dish Network. In HD, no less.

Wake Forest's secondary looks awful against Stanford.

RelativeWays
09-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Duke down 7 already. Why does Army have to run a gimmick offense. This is going to be a long most likely bad season. Too much youth and inexperience.

arnie
09-12-2009, 01:03 PM
This beats anything I've seen since, since maybe two years ago. Nothing on offense and another missed 29 yard field goal. High school offenses look better than this. At least the CBS college network picture in HD looks good.

godukerocks
09-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Touchdown Duke! 10-7 Army.

dukelifer
09-12-2009, 02:28 PM
http://en.justin.tv/sticktv_2010

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-12-2009, 02:33 PM
This game is becoming a tale of two halves! Offense and defense now getting into a rhythm. Duke has now scored three touchdowns! Duke 21 Army 13

arnie
09-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Renfree appears to be the real deal.

blazindw
09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I just found the game on TV (was getting updates on my phone). What was the reason for Thad being out and Renfree in? Performance or injury?

LetItBD08
09-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I just found the game on TV (was getting updates on my phone). What was the reason for Thad being out and Renfree in? Performance or injury?

They said it was performance. Seemed like Thad got kind of a raw deal because the O-Line was pretty bad early on. They've really picked it up with Renfree in, and he's taking advantage of it.

FireOgilvie
09-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Formerdukeathlete is thinking, "I told you so" somewhere.

summerwind03
09-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Good job Devils. I'm proud of you.

Greg_Newton
09-12-2009, 03:04 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Ballgame. Great pressure by the D-line on the last series. A couple lucky no calls maybe, but I'll take it...

FireOgilvie
09-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Awesome! Great second half. Terrible first half. Maybe we can keep this momentum going against KU.

-bdbd
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Where are you watching from? All I can get is this CNN/SI site (free). It sounds like a solid effort. Was nervous for a bit, but playing like a Cut-coached team now. That is to say with heart, toughness...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/scoreboards/2009/09/12/40143_viewcast.html

Thanks!

-BDBD

Greg_Newton
LOL this final score is going to be a little misleading... Leon Wright alone has now outscored Army 14-13, and that's just on the last 2 plays from scrimmage...

Edit: my mistake, he's down 13-12... got too excited...

karmacoma
Two pics for TD's in a row!

DukieInKansas
09-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the link to online video.

I really liked how the team stood respectfully behind the Army team during the Alma Mater. Classy group.

Great game. I look forward to being at the game next week. LGD!

JaMarcus Russell
09-12-2009, 03:26 PM
While I am very glad about this victory, the scoreline is definitely misleading because of those two pick-6 interceptions late in the game.

It looks like the team still had a lot of difficulty establishing the running game, and while Renfree had a great performance, I am very disappointed for Thaddeus. I wonder who will be taking more of the first team snaps in practice next week.

Indoor66
09-12-2009, 03:38 PM
It ain't how, it's how many!

Kewlswim
09-12-2009, 04:12 PM
I think winning is paramount. The team was not responding to him--I agree the O-line wasn't playing as well, but maybe they weren't playing well because of him? Maybe they don't trust Thad or are tentative with him?

I like this redshirt freshman QB!! Making the most of one's opportunities rocks. Not that I ever really got off, but may I please get back on the bandwagon (at least for a while)?

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Awesome! Great second half. Terrible first half. Maybe we can keep this momentum going against KU.
I say terrible first quarter only. We were in scoring position a few times after the first 15 minutes and didn't capitlize due to errors, which happily were corrected. But on the whole, this was Duke's game for 3 out of 4 quarters. Our defense was just as good as last week, this week the offense showed they belonged on the field as well.
As far as Renfree goes, I was very happy to see him play well, great even. But I thought Lewis was doing well to get us those scoring opportunities early. Too many fumbles (one was his) and special teams mistakes didn't convert the field position that he gave us to points.
Cutcliffe had to say this about Renfree staying in.
"When you are hot, you don't stop. It wasn't a statement about Thad Lewis, it was a statement of confidence in Sean Renfree".

Kewlswim
09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Formerdukeathlete is thinking, "I told you so" somewhere.

Hi,

So formerdukeathlete was right? I give him some props. I am super happy we won. I know I am not on the team or in any way work for Duke athletics, but I have rooted for Duke football to be good for many a year. I, just as many other people, want to see Duke football succeed. I love Duke. Unlike many people out there think, loving Duke and Duke athletics is not a crime.:D

GO DUKE!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
While I am very glad about this victory, the scoreline is definitely misleading because of those two pick-6 interceptions late in the game.

It looks like the team still had a lot of difficulty establishing the running game, and while Renfree had a great performance, I am very disappointed for Thaddeus. I wonder who will be taking more of the first team snaps in practice next week.

What's misleading about such great defensive play?

The Duke defense began to control the game in the second quarter. If anything, it's impressive that the defense scored two touchdowns.... especially with the same guy intercepting and knowing what to do next.

In basketball we don't discount or play down points made off the other team's turnovers. In football it's great to see such quickness and skill in reading the QB's eyes.

FireOgilvie
09-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Army actually outgained Duke 385 yards to 236 (according to ESPN). We also only had 70 yards rushing, to go with 166 passing. Army had 266 yards rushing.

The defense did a good job of buckling down in critical situations.

OldPhiKap
09-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Good win, many bright spots. And as Cut said in the post-game, it identified what they need to fix (especially on offense).

Beat Kansas, and we're on a roll . . .

Bay Area Duke Fan
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Who starts at QB next week?

arnie
09-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Who starts at QB next week?

I think it has to be Renfree - his moved the team well and didn't seem to panic under the rush. Of course, if he struggles early against Kansas, then Lewis should come back in.

FireOgilvie
09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I think it has to be Renfree - his moved the team well and didn't seem to panic under the rush. Of course, if he struggles early against Kansas, then Lewis should come back in.

I think that Lewis will end up starting, but maybe Renfree sees some snaps as well... maybe in the 2nd possession. I'm sure it will depend on practice this week.

Edit: I have no idea why that happy face is there... didn't mean to do that.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Army actually outgained Duke 385 yards to 236 (according to ESPN). We also only had 70 yards rushing, to go with 166 passing. Army had 266 yards rushing.

The defense did a good job of buckling down in critical situations.

I can remember too many games over the past few years when Duke would be able to amass more yards and/or more first downs than the opponent, but still lose the game. The Duke defense neutralized many of Army's gains on the field by preventing Army's scores.

I'd rather have this win than more yards!

I expect Coach Cutcliffe to amp up everything this week to move the team to a higher level of play.

JaMarcus Russell
09-12-2009, 05:17 PM
What's misleading about such great defensive play?

Well, the scoreline makes it look like a comfortable win, but that certainly wasn't the case. It was certainly a great game for Leon Wright, but with 2 minutes left in the game, there was certainly not a comfortable lead for Duke.

6th Man
09-12-2009, 05:23 PM
I watched the game on college CBS sports on DirectTV. The difference between Lewis and Renfree to me was amazing. The first TD Renfree had was an easy play. But the second was an amazing throw. One that Lewis has missed way too often. I am not trying to diss on Thad...but man. I can't imagine not starting Renfree against Kansas. The kid practices well from what I hear and he turned the game around today. Lewis was awful. Granted the o-line did seem to pick it up a little later, Renfree just seemed to have way more poise. It was a closer game than the score indicated, but a win is a win and we have had plenty of winless seasons. Feels good to win!

sagegrouse
09-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Anyone else think during the first half? "Oh, great. We lose to the best Div I-AA program and the worst Div I program in the first two weeks of the season."

I thought color commentator Jason Seahorn was a dope and in his comments on pass intereference calls was consistent only in rooting against Duke. His high point was urging Army to go after the "freshman quarterback" just as Sean completed his first pass for a TD. And BTW Jason, Sean has been around the Duke program now for over a year.

sagegrouse

6th Man
09-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I agree on both accounts Sagegrouse. I was ready to throw the controller threw my screen after going down 10-0 and missing a 28 yard field goal.

sandinmyshoes
09-12-2009, 05:31 PM
The game may not has been as easy as the score indicates, but we've got to win these before we can win easy. I'll take it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-12-2009, 05:37 PM
The game may not has been as easy as the score indicates, but we've got to win these before we can win easy. I'll take it.

Amen to that! It's a W in the record book and there will be no asterisk to note how it happened.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Anyone else think during the first half? "Oh, great. We lose to the best Div I-AA program and the worst Div I program in the first two weeks of the season."
Probably, but that's unfortunate. It takes 2 halves to play a game. Same with Richmond, I thought we'd win that one in the second too. Bright side, it was very promising to see the team give the second half performance (I think they started doing it in the second quarter) that they needed.

I thought color commentator Jason Seahorn was a dope and in his comments on pass intereference calls was consistent only in rooting against Duke.

Totally agree with this, we made several statements in our chat room about him. He was awful. I hope he had to party with the pleebs.

wallyman
09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
As someone who went to the game, I'd say Renfree was a revelation. Thad just looked rattled -- made some good throws and some bad throws but you never knew what to expect next. He just looked erratic. Renfee was absolutely on target with virtually every throw and just seemed totally at ease and in control. It was one game. I'm rooting for both of them. But on this day there really was no comparison between the two. Will be a tough choice next week but not a bad problem to be facing...

killerleft
09-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, the announcers definitely acted like cheerleaders for the home team. Maybe they didn't know the game was being televised to Duke fans.

Noted about Thad and Renfree. Sean seems to throw a more catchable pass than Lewis. Renfree tosses marshmallows, Thad zips rocks.

wallyman
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
True this.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-12-2009, 06:03 PM
As someone who went to the game, I'd say Renfree was a revelation. Thad just looked rattled -- made some good throws and some bad throws but you never knew what to expect next. He just looked erratic. Renfee was absolutely on target with virtually every throw and just seemed totally at ease and in control. It was one game. I'm rooting for both of them. But on this day there really was no comparison between the two. Will be a tough choice next week but not a bad problem to be facing...

Are you considering attending any games at Wallace Wade this season? We can use your voice!

-bdbd
09-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I missed the first 40 minutes, but it sounds like our O-Line was pretty bad. Did Cut just make the QB change call, or was an injury involved? The statistical difference between the two was pretty stark.

If the O-line plays better in front of Sean versus Thad, for whatever reason (leadership?), then we need to go with whoever gives us the better chance to win... and that might be the red-shirt freshman. I have faith in Cut making the right call to the benefit of the whole team. I do expect to see both of them some next week, as the KA defense will certainly "bring it" against this O-line....

BTW, pretty stark difference on the running stats, w/ Army getting multiples of our run yardage. It won't be easier next week, or vs the ACC. That is concerning, if they don't have to respect our running game they'll start dropping D-backs into pass-first-coverage.

Lastly, it is becoming pretty clear how critical this year's recruiting push is for OL-types. Thank goodness for some early successes, and still a couple big-timers on the radar there. We need more help/depth on the line.

Good, gutty win guys! Keep on fighting.

-BDBD :cool:

throatybeard
09-12-2009, 06:10 PM
This whole argument is based on a false dichotomy. We can be glad we won, while still being concerned that we wasted a giftwrapped turnover, and got outgained (by 149y) and out-first downed (by 6) by one of the worst teams in I-A. We converted just two third downs. It's a road win, which is nothing to sneeze at, but it provided limited evidence that we can play with the big boys. Hopefully we improve at KU.

loran16
09-12-2009, 06:24 PM
@throaty, what's funny is that your own statement is misleading. The triple option is an offense that is especially prone, if not executed perfectly, to creating drives of 30+ yards and then resulting in 0 points....if on first and second down you result in less than 5 yards, you're in trouble for continuing the drive....So Duke may have given up more yards, but its misleading since they stuffed Army enough times.

Regarding Thad vs Renfree, i think it has to be Renfree.

Here's the big question guys.....is the O-line really playing worse under Thad? Or is Thad panicking early and abandoning the pocket when he doesn't have to, causing it to look like this? The two can look the same.

I had a bad vantage point, as I was in the Duke Section behind the South Endzone, but it strikes me as odd that the O-line would just randomly click better under Renfree. There might be more to it.

formerdukeathlete
09-12-2009, 06:25 PM
This whole argument is based on a false dichotomy. We can be glad we won, while still being concerned that we wasted a giftwrapped turnover, and got outgained (by 149y) and out-first downed (by 6) by one of the worst teams in I-A. We converted just two third downs. It's a road win, which is nothing to sneeze at, but it provided limited evidence that we can play with the big boys. Hopefully we improve at KU.

After Renfree's second touchdown pass, he was given little in the way of plays, just running, what was it one drive? and, that was it.

We probably saw our starting qb for the rest of the season. We might have a shot of beating Kansas with Renfree in there.

Our play calling needs to be more creative, imo. but, am encouraged that Cut took action with the qb change. that showed flexibility and worked very much to our advantage.

OldPhiKap
09-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Cut said after the game that they would be looking at personnel on the O side of the ball. I would be curious to know if any OL were pulled for significant time in the second half. I'm not sure that comparing the two QB's is necessarily apples and oranges because they may have had different personnel around them (or more importantly, in front of them).

I also agree with Cut's comments that playing Renfree was not a comment on Thad's play, but rather it was time to see what the kid could do because he practiced so well. Once he got hot, there's no reason to pull him but Coach said that he would have been comfortable putting Thad back in. Renfree's interview was very poised and he hit on a key thing -- that they are all a team, and that Thad would be working harder than anyone come tomorrow.

I have some thoughts on who WILL start, but will defer to Cut as to who SHOULD start or how the work may be divided.

RelativeWays
09-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Lets not forget that we outgained RIchmond in about every offensive catagory last week (minus rushing) and that didn't count for crap. Unless you have a supper athletic defense (we dont) the option will gain loits of yard that don't amount to much. The defense held Army to a field goal second half until they got that last score when the game was over. At the beginning of the season I was most concerned about our defense and secondary. While the unit is not great, it has played good enough to win in both games, provided the offense puts points at the board.

We need a running game very badly

6th Man
09-12-2009, 08:35 PM
After thinking about the game further, while not pretty at times, Duke really did come out and find a way to win today. How many times does Duke usually find a way to lose? The TD's by Renfree were great and the first pick 6 by Leon Wright was outstanding. While they still didn't look as crisp as we all would have liked...at least they did find a way to win this game. Learning how to win and finish games is all part of the building process. Hopefully today helped move that along. Now...if we can figure out how to block and run the ball a little. :rolleyes:

Duke84Blue
09-12-2009, 09:13 PM
I would be very surprised if Renfree was not the starter next Saturday. For the first 20 minutes of this game, we were indistinguishable from a Duke team from 2002, 2003, 2004, take your pick. In our first 6 possessions, we only ran 22 plays and had a measly 49 yards of offense with just 3 first downs (one by Army penalty) and two turnovers and 1 of 8 passing. It was ugly. Granted, Lewis led us on a nice drive to keep it close at the half but he was clearly struggling. His timing was really off. He overthrew, he threw behind, he threw too hard when he should have finessed. Renfree's presence turned everything around. You could not have asked for a better performance (an astounding 281 passer rating vs. Lewis' 83). But, it is more than just comparing stats, the team responded better with Sean in there. Under Renfree, the team averaged 6.5 yards a play compared to less than 3.0 yards per play with Lewis. Thad was at the helm for 10 series and we scored 7 points. Renfree had 14 points in his first 2 series.

wolfpackdevil
09-12-2009, 10:46 PM
I LOVE Thaddeus Lewis!!! He's a great guy, and he has worked so hard in his career here at Duke..... BUT, Sean Renfree is the better QB for this Duke team.

He is a much better passer than Lewis is, and he really knows how to read defenses. I love Thad, But Renfree needs to start if Duke wants to win 4 or 5 games this season. I think the team played very very well today, and their defense really shined after that first TD by Army.

Should be a interesting game next week at Kansas. We'll see how Duke handles the whole situation..

GO DUKE!!!

Devilsfan
09-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Is any one concerned that our best receiver doesn't play on offense? #7 has now caught two balls for TDs. Has any receiver caught two touchdown passes this year?

gep
09-12-2009, 11:58 PM
I LOVE Thaddeus Lewis!!! He's a great guy, and he has worked so hard in his career here at Duke..... BUT, Sean Renfree is the better QB for this Duke team.

He is a much better passer than Lewis is, and he really knows how to read defenses. I love Thad, But Renfree needs to start if Duke wants to win 4 or 5 games this season. I think the team played very very well today, and their defense really shined after that first TD by Army.

I think that we need to support the answer that Coach Cut will provide. We were all high on Coach Cut's hire... especially with his experience, especially with QB's. So, whatever he sees on film, practice, etc... and whatever he decides, we should ALL get behind his decision, and not try to second-guess... even if that's what fans do, and what fans do on message boards:D

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

PDDuke85
09-13-2009, 09:51 AM
As a seasoned veteran of life, I couldn't help but smile when I looked up at the TV screen and saw a tall, poised quarterback wearing #19, looking crisp in what appears to be an old Baltimore Colts uniform. Don't start yelling at me for making any comparisons or putting undue pressure on the kid, it just looked great though.:D

Qwerty
09-13-2009, 11:17 AM
What a fantastic experience for my first Duke away game. I was really impressed with Snyderwine's kickoffs- he consistently placed it beyond the 5 yd line right in the corner. Not so much w/ the field goals... we're 0/3 on the season.

The game announcer's enthusiastic catch phrase of "Mr. Referee, move those chains!!" on every first down become very annoying after the 2nd possession, although I've got to admire his persistence as he stuck to it even with his team behind by 3 TD's.

Devilsfan
09-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I said it before, I would still start Thad on Sat in Kansas. That said, it is nice to see a QB without "happy feet".

throatybeard
09-13-2009, 01:09 PM
For the first 20 minutes of this game, we were indistinguishable from a Duke team from 2002, 2003, 2004, take your pick.

In 2002 and 2003, we had the school's all-time leading rusher, Chris Douglas. I didn't see anything like that yesterday. I think I could tell the teams apart.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I couldn't help but smile when I looked up at the TV screen and saw a tall...quarterback.
Oh lord, don't bring that up!

buddy
09-13-2009, 01:44 PM
As a seasoned veteran of life, I couldn't help but smile when I looked up at the TV screen and saw a tall, poised quarterback wearing #19, looking crisp in what appears to be an old Baltimore Colts uniform. Don't start yelling at me for making any comparisons or putting undue pressure on the kid, it just looked great though.:D

I had the same thought from the last row of the end zone.

My sense was that the team had sputtered on offense, and with the ball on the Army 19, Cut knew he had to score, and could not rely on Lewis. I thought Thad looked tentative. I thought the whole team played better for Sean. Also, putting in Sean in that situation may have focused the team's attention on the task at hand. Although we gavve up a lot of yards, once we got up 8 I felt very good about our chances of holding Army. 155 or so of those yards were on the first drive of the game (when we finally saw their offense) and the last drive (when the game was over). Between those two drives we pretty much controlled their offense. I was particularly pleased when we stuffed them with about 5 1/2 minutes to go in the game. At the end, it was clear Cut was content to hand the game to the defense. Army is not an offensive juggernaut, but they use misdirection and consistently get more players to the point of contact than the defense can muster. I thought Duke's D did a good job of adjusting.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
The game replays today at 3, although you might want to wait until about 3:30 to tune in. :eek:

ArnieMc
09-14-2009, 06:33 AM
When Army scored on the last play of the game, I don't think that they tried the extra point. Does anyone know the rule on that?

PumpkinFunk
09-14-2009, 04:56 PM
When Army scored on the last play of the game, I don't think that they tried the extra point. Does anyone know the rule on that?

I think they went for 2, but I'm not 100% sure.

SlimSlowSlider
09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
The rule is that if a touchdown is scored as time expires, the game ends without an attempt at the extra point or 2 point conversion IF the point(s) could not affect the outcome of the game.

Of course, the (squandered) point(s) could affect the outcome of a wager ... but the NCAA does not care about that!

SlimSlowSlider
09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
I think they went for 2, but I'm not 100% sure.

Game ended after the TD.

ArnieMc
09-15-2009, 10:22 AM
The rule is that if a touchdown is scored as time expires, the game ends without an attempt at the extra point or 2 point conversion IF the point(s) could not affect the outcome of the game.

Of course, the (squandered) point(s) could affect the outcome of a wager ... but the NCAA does not care about that!Thanks. I thought maybe that was the case, but I had never heard that rule.