PDA

View Full Version : Greg Paulus: Syracuse Quarterback 2009

BlueintheFace
09-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread for discussion of Paulus and his football season. The Syracuse-Minnesota game is starting on ESPN2 right now.

Go Paulus

loran16
09-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Anyone wanna get in SnrubChat for this game?

http://www.snrub.com/ is the URL, right?

miramar
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread for discussion of Paulus and his football season. The Syracuse-Minnesota game is starting on ESPN2 right now.

Go Paulus

After the first play, I would say that Greg is still looking for a good center to play with. Maybe Shelden can lend a hand.

Despite the rought start, once again Greg has shown he can come back from adversity. What can I say but GP2!

FireOgilvie
09-05-2009, 12:17 PM
First snap: Sails 5 feet over Paulus' head. Minnesota recovers.

Next series: TD! Oh wait, illegal formation. Ugh.

4th and 1 foot on the 6 yard line: Coach says, "Let's not measure, and kick a FG."

Not a great start. Reminds me of Duke a few years ago.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Paulus has looked pretty good so far... 2-2 in the air. Good escapability. Nice run.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
TD Paulus. Beautiful pump fake (shot fake) and wide open receiver

RelativeWays
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
TD GP!!!! Congrats. He's been a tad shaky on passing but overall looks confident in running an offense.

YourLandlord
09-05-2009, 12:57 PM
http://twitter.com/

Trending Topics
#admitit
#brazilneedsmiley
WordPress Users Must
Labor Day
Navy
Greg Paulus
District 9
OSU
AT&T
Syracuse

Awesome.

A-Tex Devil
09-05-2009, 01:30 PM
It looks like he's got a good set of receivers, so that's going to be helpful for him this year. Glad to know their offense isn't completely talentless.

Great play on 1st and 20 there.

YourLandlord
09-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Paulus on the move baby. Reminds me of an early Brady -- dink and dunk, let the receivers get the YAC.

RelativeWays
09-05-2009, 01:35 PM
GP loked great on that drive, short precise passes, mixed with a good running game. SU has momentum on their side. Poor Ted Roof.

bigj4194
09-05-2009, 01:38 PM
The commentators just called GP3/2 the General. awesome

SupaDave
09-05-2009, 01:40 PM
GP is looking great! Pumping up the crowd on the way in at halftime? Yep - that's the guy we know....

mgtr
09-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I think that Greg has shown in one half that a) he earned the starting QB job, and b) he earned the election as captain. Impressive so far.

Bostondevil
09-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Paulus looks goooood!!! For the duration of this football season, I'm not going to be able to help myself, I'm a Syracuse fan. Go Orange!

(To tell you the truth, the hoops team has grown on me too. I think Boeheim is a class act.)

YourLandlord
09-05-2009, 01:44 PM
The commentators just called GP3/2 the General. awesome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Paulus

chrishoke
09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
GP loked great on that drive, short precise passes, mixed with a good running game. SU has momentum on their side. Poor Ted Roof.

Ted is no longer at Minn. He is DC at Auburn.

Nacho
09-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I am in the Carrier Dome - it is hot and loud - and nothing could be better than seeing GP coming back to the bench , crowd noise rising in response to the touchdown and GP waving his arms the we saw in Cameron! The Orange fans are in love!

bigj4194
09-05-2009, 02:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Paulus

that's great! but honestly do you think these commentators were implying that?

BD80
09-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Not since Spurrier coached here have I heard Duke mentioned so frequently on TV on a football Saturday!

Go GP!

It will be great to hear his response when asked if he regrets not pursuing football instead of Basketball. I will bet his response will be a great recruiting tool for Coach K.

FireOgilvie
09-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Paulus just took a charge...

Late hit penalty.

Greg_Newton
09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Ouch, that's a big drop. GP hit him right in the numbers too.

FireOgilvie
09-05-2009, 02:52 PM
The stallion formation Syracuse is using has stopped working. All it does is take Paulus out of rhythm and give him only 2 attempts at a first down.

basket1544
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I think he's proved that it isn't just a gimmick, he really can play. It looks like everyone from Syracuse is at the game. I know it isn't a sell-out game but man those fans are loud! My nails are bitten down to the quick. Hope they can win!

loran16
09-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, what a bad way to end the game. An Experienced QB would've known to just throw the ball away there (he was out of the pocket) and take the FG.

YourLandlord
09-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Terrible terrible decision by Greg to force a pass that resulted in a turnover.

(not that that should surprise those of us who have followed him on the court ;))

just kidding. He looked good out there, just got excited at the end. Next play.

RelativeWays
09-05-2009, 03:51 PM
At the very least, GP should have thrown the fade route. Be design they are harder to intercept since you're putting the ball in an area where only your receiver can make a play. Overall, a good performace by SU and GP. This was a miserable program last year that played very well against a good team. Next week will be even harder but, you build and you learn.

weezie
09-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Knowing what kind of a man he is, Greg, of course, will take all the blame on his shoulders. Even with the good passes that were dropped in the 2nd half. I don't know much about football, but I'd say he was pretty darned good and played with his heart on the outside of that jersey.
The Devil certainly wore his orange well.

YourLandlord
09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Even with the good passes that were dropped in the 2nd half.

No kidding. 3-4 drops on completely catchable throws. Brutal.

A-Tex Devil
09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
At the very least, GP should have thrown the fade route. Be design they are harder to intercept since you're putting the ball in an area where only your receiver can make a play. Overall, a good performace by SU and GP. This was a miserable program last year that played very well against a good team. Next week will be even harder but, you build and you learn.

I'll argue as to wheter Minnesota is a good team. The Big Ten luckboxed their way into 3 wins today (mostly due to singular player/coaching mistakes at the end of the game by their opponents).

I'd give Greg a C+, but an A-/B+ if we are grading on the "hasn't played in 5 years" curve. He is definitely accurate and can make the throws, but the pocket presence and footwork when under pressure in the pocket aren't quite there yet. He also has some good receivers and needs to allow them to make plays in coverage.

But I think he shows great promise and is better than anything the 'Cuse put on the field last year.

If the 'Cuse coaches aren't going to show the ability to throw out of that "Stallion" package, they need to scrap it.

Penn State next week..... ouch!

SupaDave
09-05-2009, 04:12 PM
I'll argue as to wheter Minnesota is a good team. The Big Ten luckboxed their way into 3 wins today (mostly due to singular player/coaching mistakes at the end of the game by their opponents).

I'd give Greg a C+, but an A-/B+ if we are grading on the "hasn't played in 5 years" curve. He is definitely accurate and can make the throws, but the pocket presence and footwork when under pressure in the pocket aren't quite there yet. He also has some good receivers and needs to allow them to make plays in coverage.

But I think he shows great promise and is better than anything the 'Cuse put on the field last year.

If the 'Cuse coaches aren't going to show the ability to throw out of that "Stallion" package, they need to scrap it.

Penn State next week..... ouch!

I don't think this is entirely accurate. If GP was playing at a school with more talent on offense he would have looked STELLAR out there today. Minnesotta was simply a more talented team. The Cuse should have never been in this game in the first place.

I told my homie earlier in the game that they needed to stay away from Timmons on that strong side. He was murdering plays - yet they still went over there.

That #1 needs to live up to the number on his jersey for Syracuse...

They've got heart and we'll see how they develop. They are already better than they were last year.

Bob Green
09-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I watched the second half and thought Paulus looked completely composed with the exception of the critical mistake in OT. Obviously he should have thrown the ball out of the end zone and taken the field goal, but all in all, he showed he belongs on the field and I'm sure he will build off today's performance as the season moves forward.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Terrible terrible decision by Greg to force a pass that resulted in a turnover.

(not that that should surprise those of us who have followed him on the court ;))

just kidding. He looked good out there, just got excited at the end. Next play.

you must be confusing Paulus with somebody who didn't have the fewest turnovers/game of all PGs in the ACC during the 2007-2008 season. It's okay. That's a common mistake.

YourLandlord
09-05-2009, 06:01 PM
you must be confusing Paulus with somebody who didn't have the fewest turnovers/game of all PGs in the ACC during the 2007-2008 season. It's okay. That's a common mistake.

Recent follower of Duke Basketball? It's okay -- that's a common thing.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2005-2006/confldrs.html

Neither here nor there, however. I thought he played well today, minus the last pass. NBD.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Recent follower of Duke Basketball? It's okay -- that's a common thing.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2005-2006/confldrs.html

Neither here nor there, however. I thought he played well today, minus the last pass. NBD.

1) Nice try. You just gave me stats from the 2005-2006 season.

3) Here are the ACC season statistics you might have been looking for (as in, the ones I referred to in my post)

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2007-2008/confonly.html#conf.wki

Or if you are not interested in ACC season stats only, here are the statistics for the whole season. I believe you will find that Paulus once again has the fewest turnovers of all the players listed (just 55 all season)

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2007-2008/confldrs.html
Paulus led league play in Assist/Turnover Ratio and had just 20 turnovers throughout the ACC slate (13 less than the next pg on the stat sheet)

Have a good day.

speedevil2001
09-05-2009, 07:56 PM
After the first play, I would say that Greg is still looking for a good center to play with. Maybe Shelden can lend a hand.

Despite the rought start, once again Greg has shown he can come back from adversity. What can I say but GP2!

more like GP3

G man
09-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Could not be more proud of the showing that Paulus gave. He seemed to do well with what he had. Minn. is a much better team and they made the game as close as it gets. I hope their season is a good one!

Kewlswim
09-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Could not be more proud of the showing that Paulus gave. He seemed to do well with what he had. Minn. is a much better team and they made the game as close as it gets. I hope their season is a good one!

Hi,

I just wish that Paulus had been our QB vs Richmond. I think Coach Cut made a mistake letting him go. From all I can tell he would have done better than Thaddeus Lewis and he would still be at Duke. :(

GO DUKE!

Lord Ash
09-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Missing out on Paulus as a Dukie does sort of sting. I appreciate sticking with your guys and not wanting to grab a one year guy, but still...

Lord Ash
09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
BTW, here is Greg's press conference post game; a lot of interesting and supportive comments... a lot of Syracuse folks feel like he talks like a coach. Love to hear that.

http://videos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2009/09/syracuse_vs_minnesota_football_1.html

DukeUsul
09-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi,

I just wish that Paulus had been our QB vs Richmond. I think Coach Cut made a mistake letting him go. From all I can tell he would have done better than Thaddeus Lewis and he would still be at Duke. :(

GO DUKE!

I sure would have liked to see GP in a football uniform 5 years ago, but I don't know how you take a 2nd Team All-ACC QB and replace him with a very talented young man who hasn't played in four years. Lewis went out there and threw for 350 yds under pressure, making 55 pass attempts with no INTs, and 2 TDs.... while the running game, O-line, defensive front and special teams didn't do their part. I don't see how a rough around the edges GP makes yesterday's game any better.

Anyway, probably should talk about that in the other thread....

Here's to Greg and great success in Syracuse.

moonpie23
09-06-2009, 09:17 PM
BTW, here is Greg's press conference post game; a lot of interesting and supportive comments... a lot of Syracuse folks feel like he talks like a coach. Love to hear that.

http://videos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2009/09/syracuse_vs_minnesota_football_1.html

nothing we didn't know already...greg is gonna be very successful....

Kewlswim
09-07-2009, 02:26 AM
I sure would have liked to see GP in a football uniform 5 years ago, but I don't know how you take a 2nd Team All-ACC QB and replace him with a very talented young man who hasn't played in four years. Lewis went out there and threw for 350 yds under pressure, making 55 pass attempts with no INTs, and 2 TDs.... while the running game, O-line, defensive front and special teams didn't do their part. I don't see how a rough around the edges GP makes yesterday's game any better.

Hi,

I might have been overly emotional after a tough loss. I want Duke to win in football so, so badly it might cloud my judgment. I have nothing against Thad, and want him to do well.

GO DUKE!

formerdukeathlete
09-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Greg did not look too rough around the edges versus Minn. - did you watch the game? Watch his presser linked above.

The question for Duke is at this point: how we might have done with a play maker like Sean Renfree in the Richmond game? Or how might we have done with an accurate short to mid passer like Sean Schroeder? When you are not winning and not making plays, discussion first focuses on the qbs. Sorry, I dont buy Cut is infallible in his QB predilections. He said Greg could not learn his offense, but now Greg has learned a more complicated approach at Syracuse.

I too wish that Greg had played Football for Duke, starting in his junior year. We may have won a lot more games. We cant change that now - nonetheless, many of us have become big Syracuse Football fans.

DukeUsul
09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Greg did not look too rough around the edges versus Minn. - did you watch the game? Watch his presser linked above.

The question for Duke is at this point: how we might have done with a play maker like Sean Renfree in the Richmond game? Or how might we have done with an accurate short to mid passer like Sean Schroeder? When you are not winning and not making plays, discussion first focuses on the qbs. Sorry, I dont buy Cut is infallible in his QB predilections. He said Greg could not learn his offense, but now Greg has learned a more complicated approach at Syracuse.

I too wish that Greg had played Football for Duke, starting in his junior year. We may have won a lot more games. We cant change that now - nonetheless, many of us have become big Syracuse Football fans.

I didn't watch the SU game, I was throwing gear in the car and heading over to Wallace Wade at the time. I saw the highlights and the presser. Greg's a very talented young man, an excellent leader and communicator, and will be doing great things for Syracuse this year.

I'm just not sure what the obsession is with Lewis (who said Cut is infallible?). I just don't see how Paulus, Renfree or Schroeder would have helped:

our O-line maintaining a pocket or making gaps
our run game going anywhere
our defensive front putting any kind of pressure on Ward
our kicker making not-too-difficult kicks
our punt protection

Lewis had a serviceable 350 yd/2TD game yesterday. He overthrew a couple guys, underthrew a couple, and some guys dropped some they should have had. But had our special teams played like they should have, we wouldn't even be having this discussion about him today. Well, I suppose some people might have found a way to talk about him.

Again, let's take this to the other thread.

gep
09-07-2009, 11:09 PM
We cant change that now - nonetheless, many of us have become big Syracuse Football fans.

Well.... I'm not sure I'm a Syracuse Football fan yet, but I was, am, and will always be a GREG PAULUS fan. :D

gep
09-07-2009, 11:13 PM

One thing that caught my attention on Greg's post game comments... he actually took the "hit" (blame) for the first play snap over his head... citing "rushed" set up, not good communication, etc. That's a team captain, if there ever was one. Also, his taking the responsibility for the second half woes of the offense... even if there were a few dropped passes and penalties that might have made a difference. Greg is one hell of a leader. I wish him all the best.:)

whereinthehellami
09-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm a big Paulus fan and thinked he looked okay. But he made a terrible decision with that pass that cost Syracuse the game in OT.

bjornolf
09-08-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm a big Paulus fan and thinked he looked okay. But he made a terrible decision with that pass that cost Syracuse the game in OT.

That was part of the rust he needed to knock off. Hopefully he'll learn from it.

And no, Minnesota is an okay team, but not very good. However, with the recent woes at Syracuse, taking a team like that to overtime and fighting hard is quite an accomplishment, and a lot of that is thanks to Paulus. His receivers dropped SEVERAL passes that might have gotten them first downs. As the game went on, though, his guys started playing better. I think he's starting to make them believe, which is a HUGE thing.

The cool thing was hearing Donnovan McNabb, one of the all-time Syracuse greats at QB, praising him. That's a big compliment coming from him.

moonpie23
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

i prefer to think that the 'Cuse defense not holding MN in the overtime was what lost the game for them.... :)

bjornolf
09-08-2009, 10:40 AM
i prefer to think that the 'Cuse defense not holding MN in the overtime was what lost the game for them.... :)

True, but if he'd just thrown it out of the end zone, they'd have had a chip shot field goal for the lead.

roywhite
09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Greg and Syracuse have a challenge this coming Saturday when they travel to Happy Valley to play Penn State. The Nittany Lions are a Top 10 team with a very good defense; they are not blitz-happy but produce good pressure with their D-Line and occasional rushes by the LB's.

Syracuse is a decided under-dog in this one.

Bluedog
09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Syracuse is a decided under-dog in this one.

Yep, Penn State is a 28.5 pt favorite according to Vegas. Will definitely be a big challenge.

Mal
09-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I think we saw about what I expected out of Paulus in that game. He was immediately competent and helped Syracuse avoid getting run out early. No, Minnesota's not a great team, but they're a middle of the Big Ten team and have been a consistent low bowl team the last 5 or 6 years. They're a lot better than Syracuse was last year, and probably better than they showed much of the game Saturday.

All that said, obviously the big mistake was a big mistake. Also, dropped passes or no, a new defensive coordinator with a middling Big Ten defense made enough adjustments at halftime to completely shut down 'cuse's offense in the second half. To the tune of about 60 total yards and no points. Paulus looked accurate and solid, making possession passes and dumps over the middle in the first half, but once there was some pressure on him, he had a good bit of trouble, missed some open guys and went down pretty easily with contact.

Add to that the fact that MN's also got a new offensive coordinator who's completely overhauled the scheme there (as evidenced by the total lack of identity his offense showed the first 3+ quarters), and the 10 penalties for about 100 yards committed by the Gophers, and reasonably speaking Syracuse probably shouldn't have been in this game. My guess is if they had played again Sunday Minnesota would have won pretty easily. By the 4th quarter, they had Decker established to the point Green was consistently wide open, and the defense had Syracuse by the throat. However, without a steadying influence at QB, Syr. could easily have gotten trounced as it was, so there's no question Paulus helped them.

For what it's worth, Joe Paterno's favorably impressed. Of course, he could just be giving them the Lou Holtz upcoming opponent treatment. http://ericthomas.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/paterno-transcript-2/ There's a good chance Penn State throttles Syracuse this weekend. Paulus will only get better, but he'll have to quickly or it could get ugly before the Big East provides some easier games.

roywhite
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
No, Minnesota's not a great team, but they're a middle of the Big Ten team and have been a consistent low bowl team the last 5 or 6 years. They're a lot better than Syracuse was last year, and probably better than they showed much of the game Saturday.

All that said, obviously the big mistake was a big mistake. Also, dropped passes or no, a new defensive coordinator with a middling Big Ten defense made enough adjustments at halftime to completely shut down 'cuse's offense in the second half.

That new Minny defensive coordinator replaced none other than Ted Roof. The 2007 Minny defense was really bad, but they did show significant improvement in 2008 under Roof, who since has gone to Auburn. So we narrowly missed ex-Duke vs ex-Duke.

And you're right about Joe Paterno in his praise of opponents; he does tend to build them up. Reading the Penn State boards, a number of the defensive players candidly have been impressed in watching Paulus on film, calling him "obviously a great athlete" to have picked up the offense and position so quickly.

formerdukeathlete
09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I think we saw about what I expected out of Paulus in that game. He was immediately competent and helped Syracuse avoid getting run out early. No, Minnesota's not a great team, but they're a middle of the Big Ten team and have been a consistent low bowl team the last 5 or 6 years. They're a lot better than Syracuse was last year, and probably better than they showed much of the game Saturday.

All that said, obviously the big mistake was a big mistake. Also, dropped passes or no, a new defensive coordinator with a middling Big Ten defense made enough adjustments at halftime to completely shut down 'cuse's offense in the second half. To the tune of about 60 total yards and no points. Paulus looked accurate and solid, making possession passes and dumps over the middle in the first half, but once there was some pressure on him, he had a good bit of trouble, missed some open guys and went down pretty easily with contact.

Add to that the fact that MN's also got a new offensive coordinator who's completely overhauled the scheme there (as evidenced by the total lack of identity his offense showed the first 3+ quarters), and the 10 penalties for about 100 yards committed by the Gophers, and reasonably speaking Syracuse probably shouldn't have been in this game. My guess is if they had played again Sunday Minnesota would have won pretty easily. By the 4th quarter, they had Decker established to the point Green was consistently wide open, and the defense had Syracuse by the throat. However, without a steadying influence at QB, Syr. could easily have gotten trounced as it was, so there's no question Paulus helped them.

For what it's worth, Joe Paterno's favorably impressed. Of course, he could just be giving them the Lou Holtz upcoming opponent treatment. http://ericthomas.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/paterno-transcript-2/ There's a good chance Penn State throttles Syracuse this weekend. Paulus will only get better, but he'll have to quickly or it could get ugly before the Big East provides some easier games.

An easier link to Joe Pa's comments
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/09/penn_states_joe_paterno_sees_a.html

' "Syracuse looks like a pretty darn good football team to me," he said after looking at SU's 23-20 overtime loss to Minnesota. "Maybe they weren't so good last year, but this is a different year. This is a different kind of football team. They hustled and made some plays."

Paterno believes much of the transformation is due to the addition of senior quarterback Greg Paulus. "Paulus has helped them tremendously," Paterno said. "He's a guy who's used to winning, who likes to compete. His personality has affected that team. He has them believing they can play with anybody."

'''''''''''

"They're just a different team," he said. "They're running to the ball and tackling better. They have a great scheme on defense. They give you an awful lot of problems. It's a tough team." '

I think your take on Paulus is a minority view. Paulus was under pressure in the first half as well and that 8 yard run put the MN secondary on their heels. Dropped passes, very easily caught dropped passes were the difference in the game. How about the MN touchdown due to the poor snap first play? That would not happen in a second game. I have a different sense. That if the teams played again Syracuse would win. Listening to Cutcliffe's 9-8 press conference he faulted our qb for not reading and then adjusting to the defensive schemes which were stopping our running game. Greg Paulus read what was going on, did what he could given what his teammates were capable of. As Roy White mentioned, Penn State players are a buzz about what Syracuse and Paulus will throw at them and adjust to. 28.5 point spread. My guess is that the score will be closer, even though Penn State is extremely talented.

zingit
09-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know how to watch and/or listen to Syracuse vs. Penn St tomorrow if you don't live in Big East territory?

roywhite
09-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know how to watch and/or listen to Syracuse vs. Penn St tomorrow if you don't live in Big East territory?

It is on the Big10 Network, which is available on many cable packages and available on DirecTV. The game is on channel 610 on DirecTV in my area (NC), while the Duke game is on channel 613, both games kicking off at noon Eastern time.

roywhite
09-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Greg had a tough game yesterday against Penn State.

He ended up 14-20 for 105 yards with 1 TD and 2 Int.(both on tipped balls); was sacked twice and flushed out of the pocket several other times. Made some good short throws; not much of a vertical passing game. Either that's not a big part of Syracuse's gameplan or they didn't have the time to throw. On several possessions, Greg alternated with a second Syracuse QB.

dukelifer
09-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Greg had a tough game yesterday against Penn State.

He ended up 14-20 for 105 yards with 1 TD and 2 Int.(both on tipped balls); was sacked twice and flushed out of the pocket several other times. Made some good short throws; not much of a vertical passing game. Either that's not a big part of Syracuse's gameplan or they didn't have the time to throw. On several possessions, Greg alternated with a second Syracuse QB.

He also had a in the numbers touchdown pass dropped in the endzone. That was a big play as it could have given Syracuse a little more confidence. Paulus is a very accurate passer and has a lot of poise. But they were playing Penn State at Penn State- and that will a rough time for anyone. BTW- I thought Syracuse was in the Big East- Paulus gets three Big Ten teams in a row.

BlueintheFace
09-16-2009, 12:17 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/highschool/09/11/next.paulus/index.html?eref=T1

Paulus setting the precedent

BlueintheFace
09-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Paulus on Dan Patrick Show

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/listenlive.player.html?file=http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/danpatrick/audio/2009/09/14/DP-Greg_Paulus-09-14-09_Interview.mp3

He tried to rename it the "Greg Paulus Show"... nice.

YourLandlord
09-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Slow start to the season for Syracuse, but Greg just rushed 10 yards for a TD to put Cuse up 10-0 on Northwestern.

Greg 3/6, 51 yds, 1 rush TD.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/gamecast?gameId=292620183

FireOgilvie
09-19-2009, 07:51 PM
66 yard TD pass for Paulus!

17-0 Syracuse.

Syracuse looks really good.

BlueintheFace
09-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Paulus leads the Cuse to their first win!

Heisman?

FireOgilvie
09-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Whoooooooo great game! Last second fg!

He threw for 346 yds, 2 td, 1 rush td unofficially.

Newton_14
09-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Paulus was 24 for 35 for 346 yds and 2 TD's in the air and 1 on the ground in leading the Orange to a 37-34 win!

Way to go Greg!

Dude is awesome and continuing to prove the naysayers wrong...

formerdukeathlete
09-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Paulus was 24 for 35 for 346 yds and 2 TD's in the air and 1 on the ground in leading the Orange to a 37-34 win!

Way to go Greg!

Dude is awesome and continuing to prove the naysayers wrong...

naysayers including Duke Coach Cutcliffe.

Paulus played really well today.

loran16
09-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Ummm what dude? Listen. Cut never said Paulus wasn't good enough to play QB. But the thing was that it made no sense for DUKE to TURN TO PAULUS as QB.

If we want to switch from Thad, Which i'm sure you do, it'll be to Renfree...who we have for 4 more years. Why would you delay Renfree for a year just so Paulus could play?

With Paulus we are not a bowl team. Without Paulus we are not a bowl team. With Paulus, renfree might not be as ready next year. Without----you get the point.

Seriously, i love Paulus and wish him the best, but saying comments like this is just stupid. Paulus made no sense for Duke football under Cutcliffe, and I'm glad we made the pass. It had nothing to do with Paulus' playing ability (well, not much to do with it. If Paulus was the next coming of Peyton Manning maybe, but he's not).

ricks68
09-20-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't think Cut was being a naysayer. My opinion is that he thought that to bring in a guy for just one year to supplant the quarterbacks and the team he was trying to develop, could very well impune his integrity with the team and undermine team morale. It probably would have carried over into all of his dealings with future players, also. It was a different scenario with Syracuse. They were begging for this kind of chance.

ricks

FireOgilvie
09-20-2009, 12:41 AM

As much as I like watching Paulus succeed, I would rather have Renfree in there doing what he is doing. Renfree is the QB of the future for Duke. Paulus only has one year. I also think it's in Paulus' best interest to be at Syracuse, where he can play all the time and work through his mistakes. Paulus looked good this week, but not great. He still makes a lot of mistakes, including fumbles and poor decisions that lead to interceptions.

formerdukeathlete
09-20-2009, 01:26 AM
As much as I like watching Paulus succeed, I would rather have Renfree in there doing what he is doing. Renfree is the QB of the future for Duke. Paulus only has one year. I also think it's in Paulus' best interest to be at Syracuse, where he can play all the time and work through his mistakes. Paulus looked good this week, but not great. He still makes a lot of mistakes, including fumbles and poor decisions that lead to interceptions.

G. Paulus was 24 for 36 341 yards, 66.7%, 2 tds, 1 pick.

Cali-Duke
09-20-2009, 01:52 AM
aNd the 1 interception came from a long toss to end the 1st half.

FireOgilvie
09-20-2009, 02:55 AM
G. Paulus was 24 for 36 341 yards, 66.7%, 2 tds, 1 pick.

Yes, I watched the entire game and posted those same stats up above. As soon as Paulus plays to his potential, which doesn't include several fumbles and poor decision-making in critical possessions, I will say that he played great (as I expressed in my last post). I thought Kafka had a great game up until that last interception. He finished with 390 yards, and had 3 TDs, 1 rush TD, and 1 receiving TD.

formerdukeathlete
09-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes, I watched the entire game and posted those same stats up above. As soon as Paulus plays to his potential, which doesn't include several fumbles and poor decision-making in critical possessions, I will say that he played great (as I expressed in my last post). I thought Kafka had a great game up until that last interception. He finished with 390 yards, and had 3 TDs, 1 rush TD, and 1 receiving TD.

double checking the box score, Greg was 24 for 35, completion percentage 68.6%.

You watched the first two Syracuse games, right? One pick in game one, two in game two, but one of those in game two was as drop and the other was a tipped ball. By what metric are you judging Paulus? By the Thad Lewis metric? Greg is already a better qb, but we already knew that, or I should say we probably should have already known that, given that Miami and Notre Dame generally know what they are doing when offering a qb. Neither school offered Sean Renfree. Neither school came close to offering Thad a spot at QB.

Greg's transition to Football was met with a lot of skepticism. I have to believe skeptics, who included Coach Cutcliffe, based their views on their own preferences, predispositions, rather than on entirely an objective assessment of the prospects. Cut said substantially that, "no way Greg Paulus can learn our system and compete for the job." In an interview he also referred to Greg as "Gatorade Player of the Year New York," rather than national football player of the year, and sort of did not mention how well Greg looked working out for Green Bay. No doubt he thought it might be disruptive to allow Greg a shot. Certainly Cut was aware of how bright Greg is;
he certainly should have been aware of Greg's work ethic.

I am rooting for Greg because this is also good for our Basketball Program. It will help K recruit dual sport athletes, and in the future, we might just have another really top Football prospect arrive here at Duke who could help the Football Program because of their interest in playing Basketball for K. That is, unless our Football coach is afraid of the disruption of allowing a top talent onto the field because he did not recruit him, or because the competition might be disruptive.

dpslaw
09-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm not going to look for the link, but I do recall reading at least one article indicating that the whole Paulus to football thing started when Cut inquired about whether Greg would be interested in trying out for the team, although not as a quarterback.

formerdukeathlete
09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm not going to look for the link, but I do recall reading at least one article indicating that the whole Paulus to football thing started when Cut inquired about whether Greg would be interested in trying out for the team, although not as a quarterback.

That was an anecdote during the Penn State game, untrue, something an announcer said amidst some facts which were true.

Cutcliffe did not speak to Greg until Greg had been contacted by about 20 programs, well after Greg worked out for Green Bay. The offer as a receiver was a compromise, and the meeting with Greg was at the urging of others at Duke.

The whole thing about Football stated because Greg was on other programs' and NFL scouts' radars.

Btw, Syracuse Head Coach Marrone, an NFL OC, said recently that he thinks Greg may make it in the NFL.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-20-2009, 10:44 AM

Was that perhaps after Greg threw for Eron's NFL tryout on campus? Maybe that's how it developed..... I just don't remember.

Regardless of the route taken, I'm so happy for Greg and all the success he's having this year. What remarkable talent in one young man!

Kfanarmy
09-20-2009, 12:13 PM
While I can understand concern about bringing in another qb and what that might do to team chemistry...I seriously doubt if the new coach were to recruit the #1 ranked qb coming out this year that renfree, or anyone else, would be guaranteed the starting job...this kind of thinking sort of discounts the potential to recruiting any players higher ranked than those already on the team and would inevitably lead to continued downgrading of talent..the exact opposite of what everyone hopes for. Coach Cutcliffe's offer to allow GP to play another position was eye wash to relieve pressure from those suggesting GP would be good for the team, knowing that GP wouldn't accept the "opportunity" to play a position he'd never played in football for his one-year opportunity. This was a nonoffer to someone he didn't want on the team whether it was the distraction, the potential impact on chemistry or, just as likely, his discounting Paulus ability...which there are quotes to support. So I ricks68 quote below up to unconditional support for Coach Cutcliffes decision.

as well FireOlgivie's downplaying of GP performance on Syracuse team...He has played exceptionally better than many believed he could.

I also think some minimize the impact actually winning might have on the team...do folks really believe the team is better off having a losing season now, but having renfree at qb for the next three years after getting beat up and beat down with losing? I think he might be better off playing back up on a team that might win two-three more games and carrying more confidence in to future years? Certainly a possibility that team confidence is more important than the young man starting.

ricks68:I don't think Cut was being a naysayer. My opinion is that he thought that to bring in a guy for just one year to supplant the quarterbacks and the team he was trying to develop, could very well impune his integrity with the team and undermine team morale.

FireOgilvie: As much as I like watching Paulus succeed, I would rather have Renfree in there doing what he is doing. Renfree is the QB of the future for Duke. Paulus only has one year. I also think it's in Paulus' best interest to be at Syracuse, where he can play all the time and work through his mistakes. Paulus looked good this week, but not great. He still makes a lot of mistakes, including fumbles and poor decisions that lead to interceptions.

ChicagoCrazy84
09-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah Greg!! What a game baby! Im not happy that it came at the expense of Northwestern as I am an NU fan, but I was so happy to see Greg kick some butt.

FreezingDevil
09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Greg's performance was truly remarkable. According to Bud Peloquin at Syracuse.com, neither Donovan McNabb nor Don McPherson ever threw for more yards in a single game in their entire careers at Syracuse. Greg surpassed both of them in only his 3rd game in college football ever.

SMO
09-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Greg's performance was truly remarkable. According to Bud Peloquin at Syracuse.com, neither Donovan McNabb nor Don McPherson ever threw for more yards in a single game in their entire careers at Syracuse. Greg surpassed both of them in only his 3rd game in college football ever.

He had already surpassed my expectations coming into the NU game, but that is amazing.

cspan37421
09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
I am so happy for Greg. He's such a genuinely nice guy, too. A consummate team player. And what a talent!

I hope he continues to improve as the season goes on, and gets a chance to back up someone in the NFL until he's ready for that game. The analogy to me is a Steve Young/Joe Montana situation (putting aside his USFL experience). Maybe Greg would be a good understudy to Peyton Manning?

El_Diablo
09-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Another win for Syracuse. And another nice game for Greg: 21/28, 270 yds passing, 2 TD, 0 INT

mo.st.dukie
09-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Another win for Syracuse. And another nice game for Greg: 21/28, 270 yds passing, 2 TD, 0 INT

He's starting to get more comfortable and putting up great numbers. Hopefully he can continue that type of play especially the next two weeks when the quality of the opponent gets better against South Florida and West Virginia.

formerdukeathlete
09-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I am so happy for Greg. He's such a genuinely nice guy, too. A consummate team player. And what a talent!

I hope he continues to improve as the season goes on, and gets a chance to back up someone in the NFL until he's ready for that game. The analogy to me is a Steve Young/Joe Montana situation (putting aside his USFL experience). Maybe Greg would be a good understudy to Peyton Manning?

Greg had another very good game versus Maine, 21 for 28 (75%) 2 TDs 0 Int.

Maine's HC had some things to say:

"I’m really impressed with Paulus," Cosgrove had said, "He’s so much further along that I thought he would be. I’m sure when they brought him on board, the ‘up’ side was the ‘hope’ side. But the ‘up’ side is huge. Right away, he’s become the guy for them and it didn’t take long.

"The thing is, Paulus is so poised. As the games go along, he’s just going to get better and better. But this never was a situation where they were throwing a guy in there and just hoping. He’s got skills, and they’re showing."

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2009/09/ok_it_wasnt_the_prettiest_syra.html

Next Saturday, South Florida visits the Dome. I have a feeling Greg Paulus is going to give them problems. Listening to the Maine game, apparently Greg is up to 195 lbs now; watching video afterward, Greg looks a bit heavier, tougher, and seems the consumate quarterback.

ACCBBallFan
09-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I don' follow football much but did see that USF beat FSU yesterday after FSU had had the big road win the week before.

So Greg Paulus may have to scramble when USF visits the Dome.

_Gary
09-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Yep. USF is a solid team and will probably give Syracuse all it wants and then some. This will be a real test for Greg.

miramar
09-27-2009, 05:14 PM
It seems strange to read that "Graduate student quarterback Greg Paulus was 21-of-28 for 270 yards and two touchdowns." Maybe I'm getting old but it seems like he was a freshman point guard just a few months ago...

http://suathletics.syr.edu/index.aspx?path=football

Among former ACC basketball players, he had a much better game than UM's Jimmy Graham:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/um/story/1254042.html

Newton_14
09-27-2009, 09:00 PM
He is getting better game by game while putting up really impressive numbers. Unreal. I was confident he would do well, but he is even better than I thought. I expect him to handle USF and any other team on the schedule.

This is just an awesome deal to watch play out and I fully expect to see him at the 2010 NFL Combine. I certainly would not bet against it...

gep
09-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Wow... Greg REALLY landed in a GREAT situation for him... back home in Syracuse, new head coach, new offensive coordinator, team in need of a quarterback and leader, comfort level in the dome, etc... and he's not only making the most of his amazing opportunity, but really fitting in and helping the team. I was a Greg fan from the first time I saw him in a Duke basketball uniform and I never gave up on him... especially through his senior year at Duke.

Couple of things that stick with me...

I recall his recent interview with Dan Patrick... Dan says "well, how's the Greg Paulus experiment going?". And Greg's response... "Experiment???"

I was also impressed how he took the responsibility for the first play against Minnesota... when the snap went over his head... he said they were rushed, and he was part of that. At first, I couldn't imagine how he could even be remotely responsible for the snap going over his head... but that's Greg, I guess... it's a team game, and he's the QB and leader...

rthomas
09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Don’t look now, but Greg Paulus is No. 41 nationally in passing efficiency. He’s completed 45 of 63 attempts for 616 yards and four scores the past two weeks and has some kind of chemistry with receiver Mike Williams (28 catches, 437 yards, three TDs).

mkirsh
09-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Don’t look now, but Greg Paulus is No. 41 nationally in passing efficiency. He’s completed 45 of 63 attempts for 616 yards and four scores the past two weeks and has some kind of chemistry with receiver Mike Williams (28 catches, 437 yards, three TDs).

Link: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Not sure if there is an archive, but Greg has been steadily moving up this list each week.

Stray Gator
10-03-2009, 11:58 AM
As Syracuse prepares to host USF today, here are a couple of articles from the Tampa Tribune that feature Greg's story:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/sep/30/010652/wake--call-paulus-bringing-brighter-days-orange/sports-colleges-bulls/

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/oct/03/030034/sp-usf-will-face-a-unique-challenge/sports-colleges-bulls/

_Gary
10-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately this has been, as I feared, a tough game for Greg. One touchdown, three interceptions. In Greg's defense, 2 of the picks were not entirely his fault. But this is a very good South Florida team and I kinda figured they'd give Syracuse a game.

FireOgilvie
10-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Paulus just threw his 4th interception, which went for a USF TD (pick 6).

Rough day.

FireOgilvie
10-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Just threw his 5th interception...

SilkyJ
10-03-2009, 02:50 PM
um, take him out? hell even the eagles take mcnabb out when he throws 4 picks

FireOgilvie
10-03-2009, 02:56 PM
um, take him out? hell even the eagles take mcnabb out when he throws 4 picks

Well, he just threw a TD, so I'm glad they didn't. He has to work on that season TD to interception ratio.

_Gary
10-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, tough day for Greg. I haven't seen every single one of his games, but of the ones I've seen this has easily been his worst. I feel really bad for him, but every QB has days like this. And while 5 picks really look bad, I still say this is a great, great USF team that I expect to finish Top 10 in the nation when it's all said and done. Greg will bounce back from this.

BlueintheFace
10-06-2009, 10:53 PM
WVU Coach: "Paulus scares me to death"

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/10/west_virginia_coach_paulus_sca.html

Edouble
10-07-2009, 01:41 AM
WVU Coach: "Paulus scares me to death"

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/10/west_virginia_coach_paulus_sca.html

Why?

I hope GP doesn't have any bad WVU flashbacks on Saturday!

throatybeard
10-10-2009, 02:12 PM
They just benched him trailing West Virginia 27-0 at the half. Backup, #12, comes in and throws a long TD pass.

_Gary
10-10-2009, 02:25 PM
They just benched him trailing West Virginia 27-0 at the half. Backup, #12, comes in and throws a long TD pass.

Ugh. Darn it, that's a real shame for Greg. I'm just amazed at how quickly things seem to have gone south for him. :(

concrete
10-10-2009, 04:21 PM
well I won't say anything bad against Greg as I got called out last week. But this was a good decision by the Coach...I'm sure he made some promises to Greg in regards to PT and helping him get ready for a chance at the NFL but Greg hasn't really shown too much in his starts. Some time on the bench and maybe watching and learning from the Freshmen might be good for him.

miramar
10-10-2009, 04:46 PM
At least on paper the freshman backup seems to have had a better game (7/16 and 2 TDs vs. 5/9 and 1 INT).

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292830183

Paulus remains the starting QB for next week, but he has already thrown 10 interceptions this season:

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/10/marrone_says_paulus_is_still_h.html

_Gary
10-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Coach Marrone said in the post game presser that Greg is still his starting QB, but that he felt he needed to make a change in the 2nd half today because when he'd ask Greg a question about why he'd make a certain decision he didn't get the answers he was comfortable with. I got the impression he felt Greg wasn't making right reads and good decisions and he could see Greg wasn't figuring things out right today. Marrone does seem committed to Greg for their next game (which is in 2 weeks and against a team they should be able to handle), but I have to admit that after reading those comments I am just a tad worried after intially thinking GP had made a great transition back to football. He does need to watch the throws into coverage and trying to throw back across his body. He's had several picks this year just because he hasn't set his feet properly.

HK Dukie
11-02-2009, 09:52 PM
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/11/post_14.html

Reading this post really made me feel lucky and proud to have Greg a part of our Duke family. To have had this type of impression on his coach in such a short time is remarkable. Maybe a professional sports career is not in the cards for Greg, but he is going to do great things and continue to make us proud with his determination.

Bluedog
11-02-2009, 09:55 PM
The rest of the season is going to be even harder for Paulus since his star WR, Mike Williams, just quit the team today unexpectedly. In any event, I'll be rooting for Greg.

http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2009/11/02/Sports/Mike-Williams.Leaves.Football.Team-3820013.shtml

Fish80
11-03-2009, 08:56 AM

Reading this post really made me feel lucky and proud to have Greg a part of our Duke family. To have had this type of impression on his coach in such a short time is remarkable. Maybe a professional sports career is not in the cards for Greg, but he is going to do great things and continue to make us proud with his determination.

Thanks for the link. While most of us on this board already had that opinion of Greg, it is very nice to read and hear our sentiments validated. Greg is truly inspiring. God bless him.

dukelifer
11-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Paulus got his first Big East win on his second senior night- an upset win over Rutgers. He had an up and down year- but to do what he has done is pretty amazing. Glad he had this big win. Syracuse has had a nice few days and made a lot of Duke fans pretty happy.

Cameron
11-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Great to hear. He's a leader. That was evident by the boost our team got every single time he touched the floor. Greg's a winner.

One of my favorites.

A lot of short sentences. I know.

Dukeface88
11-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Good week for Syracuse fans it seems.

Glad to hear Paulus is doing well. I had a couple of classes with him here, and he always seemed like a nice guy. Anyone know of his plans after the season ends?

DukieBoy
11-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Good week for Syracuse fans it seems.

Glad to hear Paulus is doing well. I had a couple of classes with him here, and he always seemed like a nice guy. Anyone know of his plans after the season ends?

I heard he played some soccer in high school....... ;)

BlueintheFace
11-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Reposting this:

Must-read for ALL

miramar
11-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Greg went 13/16 with one TD, which is really nice to see against a team that's 7-3.

All in all, I have become a Syracuse fan.

moonpie23
11-22-2009, 09:38 AM
"And I hope my kids grow up (tears begin filling his eyes) ... to have the courage ... and determination of a Greg Paulus. I get emotional when I talk about my family."

i could not agree more. My son is a huge fan of GP (as i am) and let me just say that emails and meetings with my son and sam prove that greg paulus is an exceptional student/athlete/person.....

can't say enough good things about greg....

Kim*
11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Reposting this:

Must-read for ALL
And now I'm crying! Thanks so much for posting that.

LSanders
11-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Reposting this:

Must-read for ALL

Most of us on this board love Duke because we had the extraordinary opportunity of spending a magical portion of our lives there. But, this story brings something else to mind that I've been meaning to write.

There was a lot of teeth gnashing when Barnes chose the wrong shade of blue. "Why can't Duke recruit?"

It's always struck me that K looks for kids like Greg ... And, that makes me very proud! How many schools can point to alum after alum after alum among its student/athletes and be genuinely proud?

Sure, we'd all love another banner or two, and we may just be on our way -- with or without Barnes. But, if we never get another, so what? Will any TRUE fans of us love Duke any less?

As in most things, K seems to look at the bigger picture when it comes to Duke. He's adapting, as any smart coach does. BUT, he'll never sell his soul or his integrity. Never. If that means more 1-and-doners choose puke blue, so be it. K and his staff and his players have made me too proud for too long to give a tinker's damn what the kids that go elsewhere think or how they made their decisions.

Out of all the "misses" over the years, the only one I regret is Sean Livingston. If he'd come here, I think he could have been a game-changer. The rest? Certainly, there are some good players among them, and probably some good kids. None of them are Grant Hills.

I mention Livingston too because I remember the quotes from his grandfather, who desperately wanted Sean to go to Duke. He said it was because he knew K would make a man out of him. THAT's the big picture. Sean chose instant riches instead of looking at the more important things in life. Now, of course, his career has disintegrated into one of those what-might-have-beens.

But, kids like Greg ... Excuse me, men like Greg ... They ARE Duke. I'll take a team full of GPs and Scheyers and Singlars any day of the week ... even if it means I can go golfing on Final Four weekend. Because in the larger picture, Duke is better for having those and all the other young men suit up in the correct shade of blue. It's no coincidence that quite often when a coach or ex-NBA player has a son with elite skills, they either choose Duke or put the Devils in the serious mix. I don't have to wonder why.

So, all those (I won't call them fans) who booed Greg can join their pale-hearted, pale-blue brethren down the road and only cheer their team when they're winning. Give me steamy, ear-shattering, heart-pounding Cameron and a team full of young men like GP, and I'll continue to bleed royal blue for a long time to come!

dperjar
11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbJoRwEXPZk

FerryFor50
11-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Heckuva season for him playing for the Orange. Broke the single season completion and completion rate there after not playing football for years. Sure, Syracuse was terrible, but Paulus was a bright spot.

miramar
11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Syracuse lost to UConn 56-31, but he had a productive day: 24/32 for 296 yards and 2 touchdowns.

It's pretty amazing what he has done after four years away from football.

GopherBlue
11-28-2009, 06:07 PM
So what's next for Greg? Clearly if he wants to play football on sundays, he'll need some more seasoning.

G man
11-28-2009, 07:59 PM
So what's next for Greg? Clearly if he wants to play football on sundays, he'll need some more seasoning.

Canada is always an option for a few years at least!

formerdukeathlete
11-28-2009, 08:03 PM

NFL free agency or late round draft pick. He played really well today. 75% completions, no picks, 2 TDs..........

moonpie23
11-28-2009, 10:07 PM
what about that OTHER league?

DevilHorse
11-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey Greg,

Two Words... Not Plastics.... George Plimpton!;)

Larry
DevilHorse

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
11-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Congrats Greg. Its been a pleasure watching you on the court and the field. Best of luck in your future ventures. I would love to see you on the sideline in Cameron again one day (preferably on the home side!)

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Apparently he's going to stay in Syracuse and will be working for Boeheim as a grad assistant in some capacity (per the article linked in the DBR headlines)

BlueintheFace
12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
http://dukechronicle.com/article/paulus-closes-latest-chapter

Here is a GREAT article on Paulus' collegiate athletic career and how well it all ended.