PDA

View Full Version : 2009-2010 Jerseys and Photo-shoot

BlueintheFace
09-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Here is the first photoshoot of the year and a good look at the jerseys.

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Players/Mugshots-an/9507248_hrRYn#638632388_UZdQC

...well, just the home jerseys. I am torn about the gothic architecture. On the one hand, I love the pure white with Duke on the chest and thats all. I'm a little old school. On the other hand, the gothic architecture is really unique (an really really old school... get it?) and won't be emulated by other teams. Plus, it looks pretty great too and brought us good luck last year.

roywhite
09-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I was on campus today and saw some of this going on at Cameron. Especially nice to see Andre in his Duke jersey.

Two other quick observations:
Major painting going on in Cameron with seats, etc.
It was a beautiful afternoon on a beautiful campus.

Greg_Newton
09-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Ugh. I'm sorry, I'm just not a fan of the shiny new modern style and the black outlined letters. Not to mention the different-looking shade of blue (but maybe that's just the gloss). Hopefully the players like them, at least.

I would have much preferred they just stuck the gothic imprint on these classics: http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/ncb/2002/0117/photo/r_jason_vt.jpg 2001-ish was the best compromise between classic and modern, IMO.

And maybe it's the lighting, but Jon looks downright burly!

eightyearoldsdude
09-03-2009, 07:22 PM
And maybe it's the lighting, but Jon looks downright burly!

I'll pick A.

BoC
09-03-2009, 07:52 PM
From the looks of the last pic on page two, it appears the blue away jersey still is accented with black, instead of white.

Oh, well; maybe next year...

El_Diablo
09-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I like the glowing blue lettering.

I don't like the thick black trim down the sides...or the 2 inches of white space on the shorts (between the black trim and the bottom of the legs).

taiw93
09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Mason looks like he's put on some weight... and Dre looks REALLY young

msdukie
09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
From the looks of the last pic on page two, it appears the blue away jersey still is accented with black, instead of white.

Oh, well; maybe next year...

Nolan looks like he is just wearing shorts for practice - those are the 2007-08 shorts - the waistband changed last year when Duke went System of Dress (as opposed to Pro Combat -which is the gothic unis - yes, Nike is strange) and the black square was removed around the "D" on the waist - otherwise, the rest of the black is still there :(

dukediv2013
09-03-2009, 11:46 PM

Dawkins is still only 17. His is young! haha

ricks68
09-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Very classy. Bold, but not too bold. Simple, but elegant. We're Duke. We can play.

I think the wide blue strip down the sides will especially make the bigs look really cool and maybe look even taller. I like the way the top and shorts have the strip lined up so it looks continuous. They obviously planned for that look, as even the waistband has the strip on it.:cool:

ricks

crimsonandblue
09-04-2009, 01:10 AM
You need to lose the gothic print uniforms. Pronto. We're talking cream Astros uniforms, stove pipe Pirates caps, old orange Tampa Bay Bucs orange hideous. You're going to look back in terror for years to come.

Your uniforms are generally fine. The continued devotion to black is odd, but tolerable. This new 80s print, JC Penneys authentic replica polyblend uni must be stopped.

At the very least, promise not to wear these when game coverage will be in HD.

FireOgilvie
09-04-2009, 01:16 AM
You need to lose the gothic print uniforms. Pronto. We're talking cream Astros uniforms, stove pipe Pirates caps, old orange Tampa Bay Bucs orange hideous. You're going to look back in terror for years to come.

Your uniforms are generally fine. The continued devotion to black is odd, but tolerable. This new 80s print, JC Penneys authentic replica polyblend uni must be stopped.

At the very least, promise not to wear these when game coverage will be in HD.

I like them a lot better than this:

http://www.backgroundhq.com/images/Kansas.jpg

crimsonandblue
09-04-2009, 01:42 AM

Really? Those are pretty bad. The color. The circus stripe. But they at least look like real fabric.

To each his own. My corneas will likely survive either way. Probably.

El_Diablo
09-04-2009, 02:43 AM

AAAAHHHHHHH! :eek: Make it stop!

flyingdutchdevil
09-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Is it me, or does anyone notice that Ryan Kelly has put on a lot of weight? His arms have graduated from pistols to sub-machine guns. Looking good - was worried that his lack of bulk would get him pushed around too much...

whereinthehellami
09-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Is it me, or does anyone notice that Ryan Kelly has put on a lot of weight? His arms have graduated from pistols to sub-machine guns. Looking good - was worried that his lack of bulk would get him pushed around too much...

He might have put on some weight but he has along way to go. The strength and speed of the ACC is going to be a huge adjustment for him. I shudder thinking of Booker boxing out Kelly.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
He might have put on some weight but he has along way to go. The strength and speed of the ACC is going to be a huge adjustment for him. I shudder thinking of Booker boxing out Kelly.

Kelly is getting alot bigger but you are correct as well he isn't were he should be but he still has time to get bigger. Maybe not this year but when Kyle leaves his role will get a whole lot bigger.

mr. synellinden
09-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Those were my exact same two reactions to the pictures. Mason has definitely added a good amount of upper body muscle.

On the uniforms, I'd also like to see us get rid of the black and go back to the more traditional Duke blue. I have mixed feelings about the gothic architecture on the back.

BlueintheFace
09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd like everyone to take a look at Dawkins' arms right now and remember what they look like for comparison next fall. My guess is that the difference will be pretty dramatic.

FireOgilvie
09-04-2009, 10:51 PM
I'd like everyone to take a look at Dawkins' arms right now and remember what they look like for comparison next fall. My guess is that the difference will be pretty dramatic.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know what his birthday is, but I believe he's only 17. Combine that with a year of weight training and there should be a big difference. There has already been a noticeable improvement for Mason and Ryan between their senior year in high school and pre-season freshman year. Miles also gained a ton of weight. It's good to see that. On the other hand, Lance looks like he's still in high school.

ricks68
09-05-2009, 03:11 AM
What gothic imprint are you guys talking about? I saw nothing like that on the Duke Planet website. Are you talking the lettering, or what?:confused:

ricks

Taco
09-06-2009, 01:10 PM
The imprint on the back of the jerseys. You can see it plain as day in this one:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/photos/638632459_VTPGD-XL.jpg

Incidentally, does anyone know where you can buy one of those? I don't see 'em anywhere online, although I haven't looked TOO hard.

ricks68
09-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the photo of the imprint. Now, I take back what I said about the jerseys.:eek: Tacky.

ricks

Kim*
09-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, let's look on the bright side: at least it's only on the back!

hurleyfor3
09-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Is the Gothic watermark a "home alternate" again this year?

The Kyle Singler jerseys don't show any of the Gothic stuff, nor do any of the other jerseys for which only the front is visible. The Scheyer jersey has the Gothic watermark but only shows the back. So it's not obvious whether we have one home uni style (plain front, Gothic back) or two.

As long as we're going with black trim and Day-Glo blue and all that I'm ok with the Gothic watermark. But then I liked the black road unis too... hey, Gothicizing the old black road unis would be interesting to try. We could wear them in the Dean Dome, then blame the unis if we lose.

C and B: You guys ditched that lovely, distinctive "carnival" lettering for Trajan. Nothing Duke is doing compares to that.

crimsonandblue
09-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Is the Gothic watermark a "home alternate" again this year?

The Kyle Singler jerseys don't show any of the Gothic stuff, nor do any of the other jerseys for which only the front is visible. The Scheyer jersey has the Gothic watermark but only shows the back. So it's not obvious whether we have one home uni style (plain front, Gothic back) or two.

As long as we're going with black trim and Day-Glo blue and all that I'm ok with the Gothic watermark. But then I liked the black road unis too... hey, Gothicizing the old black road unis would be interesting to try. We could wear them in the Dean Dome, then blame the unis if we lose.

C and B: You guys ditched that lovely, distinctive "carnival" lettering for Trajan. Nothing Duke is doing compares to that.

I'm over the trajan thing (http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:zN1y4mB2EnoJ:www.trajansucks.mattki rkland.com/+trajansucks.com&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari). Winning a national title and an orange bowl in trajan will do that.

The circus font was getting a little dated anyway. I say that knowing that that was somewhat the point.

Still, to each his own and all, but I think wearing the K-Mart authentic replica alternate jerseys is worse. And I do hope those are alternates...like KU's blaring, glaring candy apple red dealies.

I will say that it looks like Duke won't let their guys wear tees under the unis (like in the NBA). At least I can't remember them having a guy with a tshirt. I like that. Kansas has guys wearing tents under their unis. And the pics I've seen of Ryan Kelly in high school had him sporting a tent-tee. He looks better (even if a stick figure) without.

NovaScotian
12-12-2009, 04:33 PM
man oh man, i hope the players decide to ditch these jerseys like they did for the new jerseys with black trim from a few years ago. every time the camera closes up on a duke player's back i gag.

blazindw
12-12-2009, 06:52 PM
man oh man, i hope the players decide to ditch these jerseys like they did for the new jerseys with black trim from a few years ago. every time the camera closes up on a duke player's back i gag.

Both the home and away jerseys both have black trim now...doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon, given that the black alternates are one of the most popular jerseys in college basketball. I like the Gothic pattern on the back, it's not really noticeable until you zoom in on them. They look great in person too.

Of course, I'd love to have it where our current home and away jerseys have no black trim in it, and we have the 3rd alternate in black. But, I've grown to like the black trim as well, and I think it's here to stay.

NovaScotian
12-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Now, can we work on those HIDEOUS uniforms next? That barely visible surface pattern is worthy of pajamas, not one of the winningest programs in college basketball history. They look like someone found leftover fabric in the Duke Store basement from a poorly selling tie that hit the market in 1993. I demand a new poll!

- Old Curmudgeon

Demand Seconded!

allenmurray
12-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Now, can we work on those HIDEOUS uniforms next?

Demand Seconded!

I'm sure this statement will not go over well with those who think Duke can do no wrong, but as long as Duke and Coach K are taking the big money from Nike the players will wear what Nike wants them to wear.

Mal
12-16-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm sure this statement will not go over well with those who think Duke can do no wrong, but as long as Duke and Coach K are taking the big money from Nike the players will wear what Nike wants them to wear.

I'm certainly not in the category of people you're describing. Nonetheless, it's not as though the University has no leverage in its relationship with Nike. If Nike wanted us to wear purple shorts and orange headbands, it's not as though we would acquiesce. The threat of moving to Reebok or someone else is, or could easily be ginned up to be, a legitimate bargaining chip. We could easily say to Nike "Our fans are old school nerds who want, nay, clamor for, nay, DEMAND, a more classic look to their team's jerseys. Let us wear ones that don't look like they were designed by a 16 year-old who just got a Mac for his birthday, or we're going to have a problem." I'm just trying to get that ball rolling, one little inch at a time. :)

Since we're discussing it, and apologies for taking this off-topic from the original thread subject (where broad consensus has been reached), but are all Nike shoe-wearing teams sporting the same thing now? I haven't seen many games this year - does Michigan State have a background of barely visible little Sparty heads on the back of their shirts? Is this a nationwide menace?

Duvall
12-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Nonetheless, it's not as though the University has no leverage in its relationship with Nike. If Nike wanted us to wear purple shorts and orange headbands, it's not as though we would acquiesce.

You're an optimist, Mal. That's why I like you.

allenmurray
12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm certainly not in the category of people you're describing. Nonetheless, it's not as though the University has no leverage in its relationship with Nike. If Nike wanted us to wear purple shorts and orange headbands, it's not as though we would acquiesce. The threat of moving to Reebok or someone else is, or could easily be ginned up to be, a legitimate bargaining chip. We could easily say to Nike "Our fans are old school nerds who want, nay, clamor for, nay, DEMAND, a more classic look to their team's jerseys. Let us wear ones that don't look like they were designed by a 16 year-old who just got a Mac for his birthday, or we're going to have a problem." I'm just trying to get that ball rolling, one little inch at a time. :)

Since we're discussing it, and apologies for taking this off-topic from the original thread subject (where broad consensus has been reached), but are all Nike shoe-wearing teams sporting the same thing now? I haven't seen many games this year - does Michigan State have a background of barely visible little Sparty heads on the back of their shirts? Is this a nationwide menace?

I wish I thought that were true. Nike can write a bigger check than anybody else and Duke knows it. We threaten to go to Adidas or Reebock and Nike will easily call that bluff.

I believe that there are five teams wearing these new uniforms with a design on the back.

msdukie
12-16-2009, 03:38 PM
I wish I thought that were true. Nike can write a bigger check than anybody else and Duke knows it. We threaten to go to Adidas or Reebock and Nike will easily call that bluff.

I believe that there are five teams wearing these new uniforms with a design on the back.

Duke, Michigan State, Memphis, Oregon, Gonzaga.

Additionally, Kentucky has it's "checkboard pattern" integrated into the fronts of the jerseys.

Mal
12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
First of all, a pat on the back to myself for commenting on a topic already thoroughly covered in another thread without even seeing that other thread. Clearly, I'm paying good attention this season.

Could someone break down for me the impact our shoe deal has on the basketball team's budget and profitability? I assume no precise numbers are out there for any of this, but is there a general understanding re: the economics of college basketball programs? Allenmurray makes it sound as though Nike is now the medieval landholder of the basketball fiefdom, and the various programs should be glad for whatever scraps they get from their lord, and to turn those down would put them at a significant competitive disadvantage. Perhaps this is true nowadays. Presumably there is profit running both ways - by having the Duke logo working for them, Nike is turning a profit, too. Are we really in a position where we have no choice but to accept their money or risk falling hopelessly behind other programs in resources? The Duke name sells a lot of jerseys regardless of who's making them. Given the five teams msdukie has named, it would seem we may be in a perverse situation here - the most marketable, most profitable teams for Nike are the ones stuck with the whims of Nike design people. It should be New Mexico and Rutgers who are having sartorial choices dictated to them.

I know this is all speculative. Chances are, someone at Duke approved the design, and Nike hasn't shoved it down anyone's throats under threat of pulling their free shoes and gym bags. Maybe the big money programs are actually driving this, demanding innovation in uni design. Theoretically, though, does Nike really have all the power in this relationship?

Regardless, none of this is going to stop me from my main intention, which is to impotently rage against the system by letting my displeasures be known. :) After all, isn't that what the Intertubes are for? Just let me know towards which system I should direct my bleating. Because the new uni's are horrid, and surely a crime against something, and I could see them making peasant women in the Andes cry at what's become of civilization if they saw them.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-16-2009, 05:26 PM
First of all, a pat on the back to myself for commenting on a topic already thoroughly covered in another thread without even seeing that other thread. Clearly, I'm paying good attention this season.

Could someone break down for me the impact our shoe deal has on the basketball team's budget and profitability? I assume no precise numbers are out there for any of this, but is there a general understanding re: the economics of college basketball programs? Allenmurray makes it sound as though Nike is now the medieval landholder of the basketball fiefdom, and the various programs should be glad for whatever scraps they get from their lord, and to turn those down would put them at a significant competitive disadvantage. Perhaps this is true nowadays. Presumably there is profit running both ways - by having the Duke logo working for them, Nike is turning a profit, too. Are we really in a position where we have no choice but to accept their money or risk falling hopelessly behind other programs in resources? The Duke name sells a lot of jerseys regardless of who's making them. Given the five teams msdukie has named, it would seem we may be in a perverse situation here - the most marketable, most profitable teams for Nike are the ones stuck with the whims of Nike design people. It should be New Mexico and Rutgers who are having sartorial choices dictated to them.

I know this is all speculative. Chances are, someone at Duke approved the design, and Nike hasn't shoved it down anyone's throats under threat of pulling their free shoes and gym bags. Maybe the big money programs are actually driving this, demanding innovation in uni design. Theoretically, though, does Nike really have all the power in this relationship?

Regardless, none of this is going to stop me from my main intention, which is to impotently rage against the system by letting my displeasures be known. :) After all, isn't that what the Intertubes are for? Just let me know towards which system I should direct my bleating. Because the new uni's are horrid, and surely a crime against something, and I could see them making peasant women in the Andes cry at what's become of civilization if they saw them.

I thought this fabric design was introduced last year just prior to the end of the regular season and was supposed to be something the players had some role in creating...... just like those shiny shoes that were unveiled just prior to the tournament last year.

allenmurray
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Allenmurray makes it sound as though Nike is now the medieval landholder of the basketball fiefdom, and the various programs should be glad for whatever scraps they get from their lord, and to turn those down would put them at a significant competitive disadvantage.

Theoretically, though, does Nike really have all the power in this relationship?

I don't believe I said or even implied that. However, I have read that Coach K has a bigger contract with Nike than any other coach. They pay well.

Daniel tosh
12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Whatever happens to the medium blue road uni's with white stripes down the side?The last time recall them wearing those was back in 04 or 05.I thought those were some pretty cool uni's.anyone know why they stopped wearing those?

Indoor66
12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
5a, 5c