PDA

View Full Version : Video of Andy Herron's elbow to Heaps

Reisen
04-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Since this was mentioned on the front page, I figured I'd throw up a You-Tube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kt-sbp1o08

Herron is looking at a 3-8 game suspension for this, and some are even saying he could be out for the year. This was worse than DeRossi's elbow to McBride in last year's world cup; there just wasn't as much blood. What a thug...

GopherBlue
04-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Herron is looking at a 3-8 game suspension for this, and some are even saying he could be out for the year. This was worse than DeRossi's elbow to McBride in last year's world cup; there just wasn't as much blood. What a thug...

We should probably wait until the officials have a close review of the video to draw any conclusions - sometimes in this sport first impressions don't tell the whole story.
Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGFVhzmnYWg&mode=related&search=

:D

Chard
04-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh, snap! That was a good laugh. Thanks.

hondoheel
04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
so it's safe to say it was incidental contact, right Duke fans?

burnspbesq
04-24-2007, 01:07 AM
so it's safe to say it was incidental contact, right Duke fans?

Troll alert! Please don't feed the troll.

Reisen
05-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Just an update on this. Andy Herron received a 4 game suspension, along with a $3000 fine. For a player making $130,000 a year, $3000 probably means more than a $10,000 or even $50,000 fine to NFL players.

During the DC United / New England Revolution game last night, Heaps was featured prominently, with basketball clips from his days at Duke shown. Unfortunately, the clips included:

-Heaps sitting on the bench talking to Quinn Snyder

-Heaps turning the ball over in the last minute of a blowout

-Heaps missing a free throw

:( Wynalda even commented that surely ESPN could have come up with better clips than those!

Also, Heaps was the star defender for the game, making an absolutely brilliant diving block on a point-blank United shot that Matt Reis would have had no chance at.

The same night, our own Jason Kreis retired as MLS' all-time leading goalscorer, with 108 career goals. That record is likely to be broken by Jaime Moreno, who notched his 106th goal on a pk kick last night. Still, it's great to see Duke grads representing the school well in the MLS. Heaps was a class act at Duke, and a true competitor, who has been a strong back for the Revs for many years now.

CDu
05-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Just an update on this. Andy Herron received a 4 game suspension, along with a $3000 fine. For a player making $130,000 a year, $3000 probably means more than a $10,000 or even $50,000 fine to NFL players.

NFL players make much more. For an NFLer making, say, $500,000, even a $150,000 fine leaves them with $350,000, which is nearly 3 times what Herron makes. And doesn't preclude the player from living a ridiculously "comfortable" lifestyle.

I'm always amused by any monetary fine in top-level pro sports. It might have been Barkley who said "that's a hand of blackjack." When you're making millions, monetary fines (unless they're in 7 digits) amount to no more than a slap on the wrist.

hurleyfor3
05-05-2007, 05:21 AM
In the major sports you lose your pay for the games you're suspended, too, on top of any fine. That is why suspensions hurt and players' unions are quick to appeal them.

CDu
05-05-2007, 09:03 AM
In the major sports you lose your pay for the games you're suspended, too, on top of any fine. That is why suspensions hurt and players' unions are quick to appeal them.

Only in football would that "hurt." In basketball for example, 1/82 of $1,000,000 (which is well below the average salary) is a bit over $10,000. Slap a $10,000 fine and a $10,000 suspension salary loss, and you're still at $980,000. That's a slap on the wrist.

My point was, when you're making that much money, you aren't going to see any difference between $980,000 and $1,000,000. There's no impact on lifestyle at all. My implicit point was stating that it isn't really valid to compare impact linearly across salary ranges. Whereas a $200 fine for someone making $50,000 is relevant ($50,000 means you're relatively close to simply breaking even every month), a $20,000 fine for someone making $5,000,000 is completely irrelevant.

I suspect that the players appeal because they don't ever want money taken away. But I highly doubt that losing that money actually affects them.

hurleyfor3
05-05-2007, 12:23 PM
That wasn't my point. It was that the dollar amount of the fine is relatively minor in comparison to lost pay for time missed. And as Charles Barkley pointed out, fines can be itemized as a deductible business expense, but not getting paid cannot.

Besides, them multi-million dollar athletes have agents, accountants, cars, boats, McMansions, wives, mistresses, handlers, posses, paternity settlements and whatnot that need to get paid too.

Most suspensions in major league baseblah are for at least five games. (Strangely enough, $2 million times [5/81] is $123,456.79.)

CDu
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
That wasn't my point. It was that the dollar amount of the fine is relatively minor in comparison to lost pay for time missed. And as Charles Barkley pointed out, fines can be itemized as a deductible business expense, but not getting paid cannot.

Besides, them multi-million dollar athletes have agents, accountants, cars, boats, McMansions, wives, mistresses, handlers, posses, paternity settlements and whatnot that need to get paid too.

Most suspensions in major league baseblah are for at least five games. (Strangely enough, $2 million times [5/81] is $123,456.79.)

MLB would be 5/162, not 5/81, and I'm not sure you don't get paid while suspended in MLB. Also, there's no additional fine associated with MLB suspensions. And $62,000 off of $2 million is still completely insignificant. Take away that, you're still sitting on $1.938 million.

And in the NFL you aren't suspended without pay, unless you miss the whole season. For example, Pacman Jones will miss at least 10 games, but because he can play in 6, I'm pretty sure he still gets his million(s).

But even in your 5-game MLB scenario, that's not a financial hardship in any way. They still have money to throw around as they please.

hurleyfor3
05-06-2007, 10:58 AM
MLB would be 5/162, not 5/81, and I'm not sure you don't get paid while suspended in MLB.

It is 162, of course. I'm programmed to think in terms of 81 games because I have (sell) season tickets. :p That comment had nothing to do with anything anyway; it was just some math that gave me a funny number.

After a bit of research it seems you get to keep your pay in MLB:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/cubs/2003-06-11-sosa-appeal_x.htm

"The collective bargaining agreement provides for [Sosa] not to lose any of his $16 million salary during the absence."

And in the NFL you aren't suspended without pay, unless you miss the whole season.

Incorrect:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2832015

First two paragraphs.

But even in your 5-game MLB scenario, that's not a financial hardship in any way. They still have money to throw around as they please.

Again, that wasn't my point, but who cares by now.

cspan37421
05-13-2007, 10:34 PM
The same night, our own Jason Kreis retired as MLS' all-time leading goalscorer, with 108 career goals. That record is likely to be broken by Jaime Moreno, who notched his 106th goal on a pk kick last night. Still, it's great to see Duke grads representing the school well in the MLS.

If that is true (and I don't follow MLS) then it is perplexing why Kreis is not mentioned in the list of notable players or notable former players at the MLS wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

Seems like they left out the most important one!?

He does have his own individual Wikipedia page, though.