PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Recruiting

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

airowe
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Figured there was no better time than now to start this thread seeing as we've made offers to two guys in this class and entertained many of them at the Elite Camp.

To kick it off, we've got Scout.com's Top 75 for the class.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/894432.html

3 of our targets cracked the Top 10 and we are in good shape with at least one, possibly 3, depending on who's talking.

No. 4 Austin Rivers flipped positions in our database from point to shooting guard. While we’re still thinking he earns money at either spot, he was devastating in the role of scorer this summer. Like Gilchrist, he’s super competitive.

No. 7 Quincy Miller, PF/SF: The best player at the Nike Hoop Jamboree usually has a great career and Miller has put himself in super shape entering the second half of his high school stretch. Likely a small forward in the making, he’s got the package of athleticism, offensive ability and size. He’s only going to get better.

No. 10 Brad Beal, SG: The captain of the gold medal team, Beal is a model of efficiency. Economical with his shots, he sports a strong body, mean streak and if he needs to go for a big number, he’s capable. Then again, he’s not a guy who needs to be in the spotlight and operates within a team concept while shining brightly.

Bud
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Good thread out ofhis class I wan't Miller the most this kid is going to be a stud, I would almost bet money on MP3 being a devil when it is all said and done. And my suprise will be Rivers I think he will decommit soon from FL, and will be a devil. IMO

airowe
09-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I went back and checked the Top 75. Good to see Marshall in there at the 24 spot. It seems like his game has a lot of room to grow.

Bud
09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
He does have a lot of room to grow he is 6"11 and is working on his post moves I'm glad to here that he want's to be a true post player. My brothers saw him play when he was a sophmore and they were not imprest at the time, but he has two more years of highschool left and I herd he had a good summer. I would love are 2011 class to be MP3, Miller, and either Rivers or Beal.

roywhite
09-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Scout.com is reporting that James McAdoo, ranked #2 on Scout's 2011 list, has made a verbal commitment to UNC.

studdlee10
09-06-2009, 10:35 PM
James McAdoo is a fine player, no doubt...but #2?

I think Rivers and Quincy are better players. Quincy has the highest upside of the 3 and Rivers is the best player right now.

Great get for UNC, Duke was never heavily involved and for good reason.

Let's hope Duke gets a combo of Rivers, Quincy, and Plumlee. We'll be fine.

yancem
09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Scout.com is reporting that James McAdoo, ranked #2 on Scout's 2011 list, has made a verbal commitment to UNC.

I know that McAdoo was kind of a no brainer for UNC but it is getting pretty frustrating watching then sign top notch recruit after top notch recruit in their junior years while we are having to wait and wait for our top targets to make their decisions.

Barnes was talking about signing in November and now is saying he will wait until spring. There was some buzz about Miller possibly deciding early and now it is looking like he is going to wait as well. I know that this is all part of recruiting but man UNC seems to be making it look easy.

flyingdutchdevil
09-07-2009, 06:32 AM
I know that McAdoo was kind of a no brainer for UNC but it is getting pretty frustrating watching then sign top notch recruit after top notch recruit in their junior years while we are having to wait and wait for our top targets to make their decisions.

Barnes was talking about signing in November and now is saying he will wait until spring. There was some buzz about Miller possibly deciding early and now it is looking like he is going to wait as well. I know that this is all part of recruiting but man UNC seems to be making it look easy.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Roy Will has got to be the best recruiter not only in the ACC, but probably in the country (better than Cal or Self, IMO). By getting these juniors, he can easily focus on other prized players (like Barnes) and I'm sure he won't be too upset if he misses on that one (unlike the Duke community will be if we miss). It's an absolutely ingenius strategy. The only downside is if a player digresses in his junior and senior seasons, which is quite unlikely.

Even though a lot of people on this board don't like it, I'm really happy that K is changing his strategy and going after them young. In the black or white or gray area, K going after Tokoto was a great move, IMO.

CameronCrazy'11
09-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Roy Will has got to be the best recruiter not only in the ACC, but probably in the country (better than Cal or Self, IMO). By getting these juniors, he can easily focus on other prized players (like Barnes) and I'm sure he won't be too upset if he misses on that one (unlike the Duke community will be if we miss). It's an absolutely ingenius strategy. The only downside is if a player digresses in his junior and senior seasons, which is quite unlikely.

Even though a lot of people on this board don't like it, I'm really happy that K is changing his strategy and going after them young. In the black or white or gray area, K going after Tokoto was a great move, IMO.

That sounds like what happened with Dexter Strickland, Travis Wear, David Wear, and Leslie McDonald. Let's see how Carolina's 2009 and 2010 classes pan out before we declare them permanent champs of the ACC.

flyingdutchdevil
09-07-2009, 07:56 AM
That sounds like what happened with Dexter Strickland, Travis Wear, David Wear, and Leslie McDonald. Let's see how Carolina's 2009 and 2010 classes pan out before we declare them permanent champs of the ACC.

Strickland had a great summer as is a great recruit. The Wear brothers were never that highly rated to begin with. And on Leslie McDonald - I certainly agree with you. And, for the record, I by no means said that UNC would be the "permanent champs of the ACC" - I merely think that Ole Roy's recruiting system is extremely effective (case in point - last 5 years). And wait-and-see game can burn you, as it has with Duke in recent years.

CameronCrazy'11
09-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Strickland had a great summer as is a great recruit. The Wear brothers were never that highly rated to begin with. And on Leslie McDonald - I certainly agree with you. And, for the record, I by no means said that UNC would be the "permanent champs of the ACC" - I merely think that Ole Roy's recruiting system is extremely effective (case in point - last 5 years). And wait-and-see game can burn you, as it has with Duke in recent years.

The Wear brothers were very highly rated, much higher than Mason and Ryan in fact. Both fell pretty far through the rankings. Strickland was also very highly rated before he fell quite a bit. That can happen quite easily when you sign players as sophomores and juniors.

But also, it seems pretty obvious that Duke has changed its recruiting strategy pretty significantly, starting with the 2010 and 2011, to target more players earlier, so as not to get caught with their pants down again like they did with Monroe and Boynton.

SilkyJ
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
We all know about Duke's depth in the post this year, and how much of a good problem we all think that is. Next year though, and certainly by 2011, our post rotation will be much thinner and in need of a boost. Given that we aren't targeting any true big men for 2010 (and from what I hear/read there aren't that many great big men in 2010 beyond Josh Smith and CJ Leslie, who is more of a combo forward) I have to imagine we are looking at some bigs for 2011. Beyond MP3, who are we thinking about, whose on our radar, whose on our wish list? If we don't bring in JS for 2010, we'd have Kelly, MP1, MP2, and Hairston. That's a decent rotation depth wise with 2 versatile Centers and 2 versatile PFs, but I'd like to see us continue to add depth upfront as MP2 could be gone after the his soph season (ya never know) leaving MP1 as our only true Center.

yancem
09-11-2009, 11:40 AM
We all know about Duke's depth in the post this year, and how much of a good problem we all think that is. Next year though, and certainly by 2011, our post rotation will be much thinner and in need of a boost. Given that we aren't targeting any true big men for 2010 (and from what I hear/read there aren't that many great big men in 2010 beyond Josh Smith and CJ Leslie, who is more of a combo forward) I have to imagine we are looking at some bigs for 2011. Beyond MP3, who are we thinking about, whose on our radar, whose on our wish list? If we don't bring in JS for 2010, we'd have Kelly, MP1, MP2, and Hairston. That's a decent rotation depth wise with 2 versatile Centers and 2 versatile PFs, but I'd like to see us continue to add depth upfront as MP2 could be gone after the his soph season (ya never know) leaving MP1 as our only true Center.

So far, I haven't heard of any other bigs in the 2011 class that we are looking at. We were recruiting McAdoo but obviously he's now off the board. I would guess that the staff will start evaluating a new target because of his signing with unc. Players we seem to be chasing right now are MP3, Miller, Beal and Rivers if he actually reopens his recruitment.

Most likely we will only have 3 scholarships for that class. We have already offered MP3 and Miller so they would seem to be out top priorities. At this point the last spot presumably would go to Beal or Rivers.

houstondukie
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Quincy Miller would be a perfect 4 in Duke's system. He recently said he is up to 200 lbs and hopes to be around 235 when he enters college in two years. He's already 6'9'' and reports say that he is still growing.

SilkyJ
09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Quincy Miller would be a perfect 4 in Duke's system. He recently said he is up to 200 lbs and hopes to be around 235 when he enters college in two years. He's already 6'9'' and reports say that he is still growing.

Thanks yancem and HD. I thought of Miller as more of a SF or combo forward prospect. Scout lists him at a mere 6'7" and 175 and rivals lists him at 6'8 190. I guess he will probably grow an inch or so and put on another 15lbs over the next 2 years, so maybe he will become more of a typical post player in terms of size.

ACCBBallFan
09-12-2009, 01:57 PM
So far, I haven't heard of any other bigs in the 2011 class that we are looking at. We were recruiting McAdoo but obviously he's now off the board. I would guess that the staff will start evaluating a new target because of his signing with unc. Players we seem to be chasing right now are MP3, Miller, Beal and Rivers if he actually reopens his recruitment.

Most likely we will only have 3 scholarships for that class. We have already offered MP3 and Miller so they would seem to be out top priorities. At this point the last spot presumably would go to Beal or Rivers.I get the gut feeling that Marshall Plumlee will choose to go somewhere other than Duke, perhaps UVA.

If his brothers progress well enough this year to both be viable centers, it would not surprise me that those 3 scholarships get filled by Miller, Rivers and Beal, as K patterns his team makeup after his Team USA squad with less centers and more outstanding perimeter guys, though none of his perimeter guys goes 260 like Lebron.

By 2011 Nolan and Kyle would have moved on. Assuming no one and done's, and of course assuming extreme recruiting success:

Irving/Rivers/Thornton
Dawkins/Curry/Beal
Banres/Olek (Dawkins/Kelly)
Kelly/Miller/Hairston
Plumlees (Mason and Miles)

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-12-2009, 02:26 PM
We're not getting Rivers.

Bluedevil114
09-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I get the gut feeling that Marshall Plumlee will choose to go somewhere other than Duke, perhaps UVA.

If his brothers progress well enough this year to both be viable centers, it would not surprise me that those 3 scholarships get filled by Miller, Rivers and Beal, as K patterns his team makeup after his Team USA squad with less centers and more outstanding perimeter guys, though none of his perimeter guys goes 260 like Lebron.

By 2011 Nolan and Kyle would have moved on. Assuming no one and done's, and of course assuming extreme recruiting success:

Irving/Rivers/Thornton
Dawkins/Curry/Beal
Banres/Olek (Dawkins/Kelly)
Kelly/Miller/Hairston
Plumlees (Mason and Miles)

Does anyone see Coach K pulling a scholly from Olek to make more room for an even better class. Olek does not play any quality minutes with this squad. Maybe some garbage time.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-12-2009, 02:31 PM
no and he shouldn't olek earned a scholly in hs and should keep his until he graduates

Azdukefan
09-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Does anyone see Coach K pulling a scholly from Olek to make more room for an even better class. Olek does not play any quality minutes with this squad. Maybe some garbage time.

This is not Kentucky. Coach K makes committments to his players and sticks by them. I would drop all belief I have in him and the system should this occur. Loyalty and committment are some of the core values of the system. Dropping a player for the next best thing will never be in our vocabulary. Hey Olek, here is some motivation to get yourself on the court!:)

jimsumner
09-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I would be very surprised to see Duke sign Irving, Rivers, and Beal. Not with Curry, Dawkins, and Thornton already on board.

The most likely scenario for 2011 is one guard and two front-court players. If Duke were to come up empty on the guard sweepstakes in 2010, this could change.

And I'll climb Mt. Everest backwards before Mike Krzyzewski pulls a scholarship from Olek or anyone else for performance issues.

ACCBBallFan
09-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Does anyone see Coach K pulling a scholly from Olek to make more room for an even better class. Olek does not play any quality minutes with this squad. Maybe some garbage time.It did not make any sense for Calipari to do something so unethical, and coach K would never do that.

Once you get past he top 10 guys, primary players in 5 vs. 5, the other 3 do not have to be all planet.

Olek has some great athleticism that can simulate future opponents. He also has some raw skills that may eventually be put into game setting once his court sense improves in this his second year in Duke system.

Azdukefan
09-12-2009, 04:12 PM
And I'll climb Mt. Everest backwards before Mike Krzyzewski pulls a scholarship from Olek or anyone else for performance issues.

Then when you get back, I will eat my hat!

ACCBBallFan
09-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I would be very surprised to see Duke sign Irving, Rivers, and Beal. Not with Curry, Dawkins, and Thornton already on board.

The most likely scenario for 2011 is one guard and two front-court players. If Duke were to come up empty on the guard sweepstakes in 2010, this could change.

And I'll climb Mt. Everest backwards before Mike Krzyzewski pulls a scholarship from Olek or anyone else for performance issues.Already agreed with your final point in a prior post.

First things first. Assuming Duke does get Irving and Barnes in 2010 class, I don't think Duke would mind at all getting Rivers and Beal who purportedly would like playing aside one another, though are not a package deal.

However, as more guys commit, I do agree with Jim that someone will probably self select elsewhere, possibly Rivers remaining "committed to UF", because when offered, I do think Beal would accept.

So the decision would be up to Rivers. Going from famine to feast at guard slots, Duke's key get in 2011 would be a big, either Quincy Miller or Marshall Plumlee who I already opined may go elsewhere, or someone else.

BlueintheFace
09-12-2009, 04:34 PM

I agee with Jim on the scholarship situation for 2011.

It is my impression that, for 2011, Duke has high interest in Quincy Miller and Marshall Plumlee for the wing/forward positions.

With regards to the guard position, the only reasons I can think for K not offering Beal yet are 1) the staff has not had enough time to evaluate him or 2) K is waiting on Rivers for a bit longer before turning to Beal.

Call me dramatic, but I am actually inclined to believe reason 2

ACCBBallFan
09-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I agee with Jim on the scholarship situation for 2011.

It is my impression that, for 2011, Duke has high interest in Quincy Miller and Marshall Plumlee for the wing/forward positions.

With regards to the guard position, the only reasons I can think for K not offering Beal yet are 1) the staff has not had enough time to evaluate him or 2) K is waiting on Rivers for a bit longer before turning to Beal.

Call me dramatic, but I am actually inclined to believe reason 2That could be, or he could be doing what he is doing with Kyrie Irving and Harrison Barnes, trying to line them up jointly and leverage their desire to play on same team.

So he needs to test Austin Rivers' degree of commitment to UF versus open to Duke option, before he leverages that with Brad Beal.

You and Jim make a good point though. Regardless of how high each recruit chances of choosing Duke may be, collectively not likely they all end up at Duke. This is true from a numbers standpoint and also from a how many guards can you effectively employ stance.

Having guys who want to be on the same team though may stretch those odds a tad.

As much or more though, Duke needs at least one of Quincy Miller, Marshall Plumlee or another quality big.

heyman25
09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
If Beal Irving and Rivers all want to go to Duke, I really doubt the coaching staff would say no. With all the struggles we have had hitting our targets the last 4 years,it would be a refreshing change to have these 3 elite prospects to want to enroll at Duke.Duke rarely uses all 13 scholarships.Its time we use all of them. Maybe Plumlee or Kanter could be the big man.Miller I would take him as well.

houstondukie
09-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Brad Beal fits into DUKE's philosophy so well. For all the talks (and rightfully so) about Harrison Barnes being the epitome of a DUKE player, Brad Beal is not that far behind. He is a team-first player who has stated that he is looking for a school where "everyone loves each other" and plays hard together. He cares about getting a great education and is an honor student (contrary to previous posters who erroneously said he needs to get his grades in order). He is a high-character person who is always humble and says all the right things. He grew up a DUKE fan and idolized JJ Redick. And of course, he's also the #1 SG in the country.

Having said all that, I don't see how DUKE has room for both Austin Rivers and Brad Beal, unless Marshall Plumnee decides to go elsewhere (unlikely IMO).

If DUKE signs both Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving (very likely, IMO), then Duke only has 3 scholarships available for the class of 2010 (Kyle Singler leaving before his senior year has no effect on the number of scholarships for this class).

Although mathematically we have 3 scholarships, in reality, DUKE has 2 scholarships to give out between Quincy Miller, Brad Beal, and Austin Rivers. The reason, IMO, is that Marshall Plumnee to very likely going to sign w/ DUKE. I know Marshall Plumnee is looking at all options and has expressed the possibilty of taking his own path and not attending DUKE like his brothers, but the opportunity to play w/ his brothers in college will ultimately sway him to DUKE.

So that leaves 2 scholarships for 3 players: Miller, Beal, and Rivers.

DUKE's #1 priority is PF Quincy Miller, who would fill in for Singler. Duke has a great shot of landing Miller.

That leaves that last scholarship for either Beal or Rivers. The fact that Beal still does not have an offer tells me that DUKE prefers Rivers, and is waiting for his visit, which is coming very soon. If they sense Rivers will not decommit from Florida, I think DUKE gives Beal the last scholarship. Which ain't a bad thing at all. In many ways (see above), I prefer Beal over Rivers.

FireOgilvie
09-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Brad Beal fits into DUKE's philosophy so well. For all the talks (and rightfully so) about Harrison Barnes being the epitome of a DUKE player, Brad Beal is not that far behind. He is a team-first player who has stated that he is looking for a school where "everyone loves each other" and plays hard together. He cares about getting a great education and is an honor student (contrary to previous posters who erroneously said he needs to get his grades in order). He is a high-character person who is always humble and says all the right things. He grew up a DUKE fan and idolized JJ Redick. And of course, he's also the #1 SG in the country.

Having said all that, I don't see how DUKE has room for both Austin Rivers and Brad Beal, unless Marshall Plumnee decides to go elsewhere (unlikely IMO).

If DUKE signs both Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving (very likely, IMO), then Duke only has 3 scholarships available for the class of 2010 (Kyle Singler leaving before his senior year has no effect on the number of scholarships for this class).

Although mathematically we have 3 scholarships, in reality, DUKE has 2 scholarships to give out between Quincy Miller, Brad Beal, and Austin Rivers. The reason, IMO, is that Marshall Plumnee to very likely going to sign w/ DUKE. I know Marshall Plumnee is looking at all options and has expressed the possibilty of taking his own path and not attending DUKE like his brothers, but the opportunity to play w/ his brothers in college will ultimately sway him to DUKE.

So that leaves 2 scholarships for 3 players: Miller, Beal, and Rivers.

DUKE's #1 priority is PF Quincy Miller, who would fill in for Singler. Duke has a great shot of landing Miller.

That leaves that last scholarship for either Beal or Rivers. The fact that Beal still does not have an offer tells me that DUKE prefers Rivers, and is waiting for his visit, which is coming very soon. If they sense Rivers will not decommit from Florida, I think DUKE gives Beal the last scholarship. Which ain't a bad thing at all. In many ways (see above), I prefer Beal over Rivers.

That's quite the scenario. I hope you're right when it comes to Duke landing a lot of those guys, especially Barnes and Irving.

Also, it's P-l-u-m-l-e-e with an L. "Plumnee" isn't even a name haha. Why are you so sure he ends up at Duke? Miles has spent most of his time on the bench and Mason hasn't even played a game yet.

houstondukie
09-13-2009, 01:03 AM
That's quite the scenario. I hope you're right when it comes to Duke landing a lot of those guys, especially Barnes and Irving.

Also, it's P-l-u-m-l-e-e with an L. "Plumnee" isn't even a name haha. Why are you so sure he ends up at Duke? Miles has spent most of his time on the bench and Mason hasn't even played a game yet.

HAHA, my bad on the spelling. I've had a few beers tonight and it's late.

rotogod00
10-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Beal deciding between Kansas, Florida, and Illinois for Midnight Madness. We're still in his final 6, however (Missouri and Ohio St. are the other two)

http://theshiver.com/2009/10/beal-deciding-between-three-for-midnight-madness/

Blueequalslife23
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
We roll this scholly over for 2011 and offer Beal, Plumlee and rivers?

G man
11-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I love positive thinking! I think we go balls to the wall after Roscoe and if not offer both of them the chance to play at DUKE!

Blueequalslife23
11-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Got to stay positive. Rivers in the next great thing. A Rivers, Beal and Plumlee class would be an easy number one class. I'm all about offering Roscoe. And if that's what coach thinks will be the good move than go for it! We are still a National Champion CONTENDER!!! DUKE FOR LIFE!!

Devilsfan
11-13-2009, 05:37 PM
YThe best mix of academics and basketball doesn't bode very well for our basketball

We should watch who takes our recruits around and is it time?

JaMarcus Russell
11-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I think there are two options. Go after Roscoe Smith for 2010 (and if he chooses UConn or Georgetown, look at some other 3/4). Or they can roll over two spots from 2010 to 2011 and try to land a four man class.

Just based on some free info on Scout and chatter around the board, it seems like Beal, Rivers, Marshall Plumlee, and Quincy Miller are four potential targets. Quinn Cook is another name to look out for.

BlueintheFace
11-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Miller is a priority

Blueequalslife23
11-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about Miller! Kid has some game.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-14-2009, 12:01 AM
I still think we go hard after Roscoe. If we land him, we can still go hard after Qunicy Miller who is our main priority and Austin Rivers. Dawkins and Curry have the 2 spot locked down for a lil bit. THEN, we hand it over to JP Tokoto in 2012.

soccerstud2210
11-14-2009, 01:22 AM
I still think we go hard after Roscoe. If we land him, we can still go hard after Qunicy Miller who is our main priority and Austin Rivers. Dawkins and Curry have the 2 spot locked down for a lil bit. THEN, we hand it over to JP Tokoto in 2012.

well right now i wouldn't even bet on getting tokoto. roy is after him. and it'll be longer than 4 months by the time he commits

:)

Reddevil
11-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Roscoe chooses to join Duke in 2010.

The following choose Duke in 2011:

Quincy Miller (get the 2000 post thread ready - this one's important)

Beal or Rivers (I hope they just put the offer out there and give it to the first one that wants it. They're both great kids. No waiting - no drama)

Plumlee 3 (The table is set for ya big guy.)

If this unfolds, even the ungulate death star cannot top it.

Kedsy
11-14-2009, 11:08 AM
well right now i wouldn't even bet on getting tokoto. roy is after him. and it'll be longer than 4 months by the time he commits :)

Well, if Roy is after him why don't we just give up now? I'm not betting on Tokoto, who after all is a 2012 commit, but we have as good a shot as anybody.

Roscoe chooses to join Duke in 2010.

The following choose Duke in 2011:

Quincy Miller (get the 2000 post thread ready - this one's important)

Beal or Rivers (I hope they just put the offer out there and give it to the first one that wants it. They're both great kids. No waiting - no drama)

Plumlee 3 (The table is set for ya big guy.)

If this unfolds, even the ungulate death star cannot top it.

Personally, I think the best case scenario is both Beal and Rivers. Roscoe would help next year and I'll be happy if he comes to Duke, but he's not a critical piece and top 10 recruits are significantly more important to the blueprint of a team than top 30 recruits.

SilkyJ
11-14-2009, 12:47 PM
well right now i wouldn't even bet on getting tokoto. roy is after him. and it'll be longer than 4 months by the time he commits

:)

Well, if Roy is after him why don't we just give up now?

Yup, new strategy. Just give up now. People really got that holy spirit round these parts!

soccerstud2210
11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Yup, new strategy. Just give up now. People really got that holy spirit round these parts!

hahaha

mine was a bit of sarcasm, but nbd

RainingThrees
11-14-2009, 02:37 PM
How much have we really seen from Marshall Plumlee? I trust K, but last time I checked Marshall seemed like a Ryan Kelly without the outside shot.

Blueequalslife23
11-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Let's just do one thing... Let's not call Roscoe, Mp3, Beal, Rivers, Topoko or even Miller a Duke lean at any time. Every time that seems to happen we lose the recruit.

FireOgilvie
11-14-2009, 03:31 PM
How much have we really seen from Marshall Plumlee? I trust K, but last time I checked Marshall seemed like a Ryan Kelly without the outside shot.

Except 2 inches taller with a larger frame and better athleticism. He's definitely more of a center and he's 2 years younger. We really need a center from the class of 2011, whether it's Marshall or someone else.

Blueequalslife23
11-14-2009, 03:35 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4654602&name=basketball_recruiting&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4654602%26name%3dbask etball_recruiting

Taking time is good.

Newton_14
11-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Let's just do one thing... Let's not call Roscoe, Mp3, Beal, Rivers, Topoko or even Miller a Duke lean at any time. Every time that seems to happen we lose the recruit.

Could not agree more. These kids have become great actors. I bought into the newest hole (he who shall no longer be mentioned by name!! 9F, 9F, 9F, 9F) hook, line, and sinker, with all the surprising K on his Bday, taking multiple unofficials to Duke, raving about his great relationship with K, unzipping his top to reveal Duke shirts underneath, etc, etc, etc, It was all a ruse and most all of us bought it. The laugh is now on us.

So no more for me. Once you commit and become a Duke kid for real I will pay attention to you, otherwise, I am no longer interested.

So here's to Tyler Thornton, Kyrie Irving, and Josh Hairston.. Guys, we love you already, and can't wait to see you suit up for your first game in Cameron Indoor.

Blueequalslife23
11-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Could not agree more. These kids have become great actors. I bought into the newest hole (he who shall no longer be mentioned by name!! 9F, 9F, 9F, 9F) hook, line, and sinker, with all the surprising K on his Bday, taking multiple unofficials to Duke, raving about his great relationship with K, unzipping his top to reveal Duke shirts underneath, etc, etc, etc, It was all a ruse and most all of us bought it. The laugh is now on us.

So no more for me. Once you commit and become a Duke kid for real I will pay attention to you, otherwise, I am no longer interested.

So here's to Tyler Thornton, Kyrie Irving, and Josh Hairston.. Guys, we love you already, and can't wait to see you suit up for your first game in Cameron Indoor.

Totally agree, I see more " He's a Duke lean" and " He's a lock" more times on this board than any other board. You know what even the HOLES don't "lock guys up" on their board and they get the guys! Changing of the guards on this site will be good

BD80
11-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Except 2 inches taller with a larger frame and better athleticism. He's definitely more of a center and he's 2 years younger. We really need a center from the class of 2011, whether it's Marshall or someone else.

Boy that's a tough one. If only we had some way to predict how he would develop over the next two years. Maybe if we knew of another big man that came from the same coach or school. Or if we knew someone in his family that had been a basketball player and could compare how they developed ...

What would really be good is if we could get to know the kid, maybe find some way to get him to come to campus, maybe even play some pick-up with some of the present players ...

You know, there are so many of those still-growing 6'11" rising juniors with athleticism that would fit in at Duke, we shouldn't rush into this ...

What? We already offered? How could we?

is there a record for sarcasm in a single post? i hope this is a contender. i tried

BlueintheFace
11-14-2009, 04:11 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4654602&name=basketball_recruiting&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4654602%26name%3dbask etball_recruiting

Taking time is good.

Not for Duke of late.

Bsim412
11-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Is there anyway Duke could go after Jelan Kendrick or Terrance Jones?

Reddevil
11-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Personally, I think the best case scenario is both Beal and Rivers. Roscoe would help next year and I'll be happy if he comes to Duke, but he's not a critical piece and top 10 recruits are significantly more important to the blueprint of a team than top 30 recruits.

Both Beal and Rivers are shooting guards (I know, we don't like labels, but bear with me). With two really good off-guards already in the mix, the brew might be a bit spicier with a big wing that can really defend. In this case, isn't a dynamic bigger wing better than redundancy at a position? The three-guard option is already in place. I think Roscoe adds another option to the team - you know, the whole sum of the parts idea. We would all be thrilled with Roscoe, Beal or Rivers, Marshall P., and Miller, just as we would be thrilled with Beal and Rivers, Marshall P., and Miller. The first option just appeals to me a little more in terms of team options and matchups.

jimsumner
11-14-2009, 04:46 PM
"Let's just do one thing... Let's not call Roscoe, Mp3, Beal, Rivers, Topoko or even Miller a Duke lean at any time. Every time that seems to happen we lose the recruit. "

Except that Irving, Dawkins, Hairston, Thornton were all considered Duke leans. As were Singler, Scheyer, and Henderson. And so forth. And so on.

Blueequalslife23
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
"Let's just do one thing... Let's not call Roscoe, Mp3, Beal, Rivers, Topoko or even Miller a Duke lean at any time. Every time that seems to happen we lose the recruit. "

Except that Irving, Dawkins, Hairston, Thornton were all considered Duke leans. As were Singler, Scheyer, and Henderson. And so forth. And so on.

Okay.. but also were Monroe, Boynton, Patterson, Barnes, Wright. And where did they end up?

Hermy-own
11-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Okay.. but also were Monroe, Boynton, Patterson, Barnes, Wright. And where did they end up?

I agree. No one is a Duke lean from now on. Talking about recruits is one thing, but we should keep our expectations very, VERY low until they commit. With any of the top notch guys, they are all looking at multiple schools, so Duke (or anyone else) will never have even a 50% of landing any one person.

jimsumner
11-14-2009, 05:40 PM
The statement "Every time that [a public Duke lean] seems to happen we lose the recruit" is factually incorrect. Had I said "every Duke lean goes to Duke" then you would have a point. But I didn't say that. So your point is irrelevant to my point.

Having posted on this board since the beginning, I'm not remotely surprised to find the sky-is-falling-mentality is still alive and well. But I do find it curious. So, Duke will only have three top-30 recruits and a freshman All-American joining the team next year. And yes, I'll say it. Roscoe Smith is a Duke lean. So, sue me.

77devil
11-14-2009, 05:50 PM
The statement "Every time that [a public Duke lean] seems to happen we lose the recruit" is factually incorrect. Had I said "every Duke lean goes to Duke" then you would have a point. But I didn't say that. So your point is irrelevant to my point.

Having posted on this board since the beginning, I'm not remotely surprised to find the sky-is-falling-mentality is still alive and well. But I do find it curious. So, Duke will only have three top-30 recruits and a freshman All-American joining the team next year. And yes, I'll say it. Roscoe Smith is a Duke lean. So, sue me.

Thank goodness we always have Jim as a voice of reason.

Reddevil
11-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Some one said this a few months ago, and it applies here I think. Everyone is a bit edgy today because of the Barnes thing. We've become a little unc centric. If we look beyond this comparison, and look at things nationally, Duke is in really good shape. Roscoe would be a VERY nice addition, and he wouldn't be linked to Barnes, he would be linked to Duke. We should hope he "leans" this way. (couldn't resist)

Blueequalslife23
11-14-2009, 06:27 PM

In what way do you see him as a lean!? We haven't heard anything from him in 3 weeks! Your not Roscoe Smith. He could easily change his mind in 5 minutes. There is no such thing as a "lean" because like any 17-18 year old kid they could change their decision in the matter of minutes.

BD80
11-14-2009, 06:55 PM
... Roscoe would be a VERY nice addition, and he wouldn't be linked to Barnes, he would be linked to Duke. We should hope he "leans" this way. (couldn't resist)

Roscoe seems to be a great fit at Duke. It sounds like a guy that can impact a game it ways other than scoring. Not that he will be a Battier type defender, but in the first year or two, he could be one of those guys that makes the team better without scoring much, and then take on more of a role in the offense as an upper classman. His game shouldn't overlap Hairston's, even if they are close in height. Hairston was compared by one analyst (who may have been inebriated) to Boozer. Sounds like Hairston will defend the post.

Roscoe doesn't wear a vest does he?

I got REALLY tired of hearing about Barnes' vest.

miramar
11-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Could not agree more. These kids have become great actors. I bought into the newest hole (he who shall no longer be mentioned by name!! 9F, 9F, 9F, 9F) hook, line, and sinker, with all the surprising K on his Bday, taking multiple unofficials to Duke, raving about his great relationship with K, unzipping his top to reveal Duke shirts underneath, etc, etc, etc, It was all a ruse and most all of us bought it.

the other four schools that basically had no chance at all, but were included in the mix in order to increase the national interest in his final decision.

I got the impression that yesterday's press conference was more of a product launch than an announcement of where he would go to school. The only thing missing was a pair of Nike Harrisons, but those will come in a year or two.

Hermy-own
11-14-2009, 07:23 PM

Please tell me: Which credible news sources say Smith is a Duke tilt?

Scout published an article either yesterday or today about Duke going after Smith, but I don't have access to their articles. Does anyone know what that article said, and are there any other sources? If so, that is great news.

BlueintheFace
11-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I believe Jim is correct here.

Roscoe Smith, Quincy Miller, and Austin Rivers are all probably Duke leans at this moment to be honest. The question is how much stock you actually put in a recruit being a Duke lean. That certainly varies from fan to fan...

juise
11-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Please tell me: Which credible news sources say Smith is a Duke tilt?

Though he's not a recruiting specialist, Jim Sumner (http://jimsumner.net/) is a credible source, IMO.

And, I think it's generally worth pointing out that this is a 2011 recruiting thread. Let's not get too carried away with the Roscoe Smith talk... there's a separate thread for getting carried away about that. :)

juise
11-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Roscoe Smith, Quincy Miller, and Austin Rivers are all probably Duke leans at this moment to be honest. The question is how much stock you actually put in a recruit being a Duke lean. That certainly varies from fan to fan...

I think it's fair to say that Duke has picked up some serious momentum on Austin Rivers, but how can we claim that he's leaning toward Duke when he's repeatedly said that he's not yet backing out of his Florida verbal?

BlueintheFace
11-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I think it's fair to say that Duke has picked up some serious momentum on Austin Rivers, but how can we claim that he's leaning toward Duke when he's repeatedly said that he's not yet backing out of his Florida verbal?

Recruits say a lot of things... (see-meltdown)

roywhite
11-14-2009, 07:59 PM
the other four schools that basically had no chance at all, but were included in the mix in order to increase the national interest in his final decision.

I got the impression that yesterday's press conference was more of a product launch than an announcement of where he would go to school. The only thing missing was a pair of Nike Harrisons, but those will come in a year or two.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more contrived and self-absorbed it seems.

Kyrie Irving talks a lot about "H and H", meaning "Hungry and Humble"....at best Mr. "H" Barnes would be 1 for 2 there, and that's before a meal.

duke09hms
11-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I think we should try to avoid bashing HB now. If he had chosen the good guys, I doubt any of this (over-the-top ceremony, seems full of himself, w/e)would be of concern to us.

I really hope we can land Roscoe Smith, can never hurt to have a super athletic frontcourt player. It seems like in the past, a good number of our recruits have had the skills and smarts but lacked explosiveness/"bounce". Coach K can teach a guy how to play and coach up skills, but some things just aren't going to change.

Definitely agree with how meaningless the term "a Duke lean" means. The only time it matters is when they actually announce. ughhh.

jimsumner
11-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Look, Duke would be better with Barnes than without him. Duke wanted Barnes, expected to sign him and didn't. Sucky that Duke missed on Barnes. Double sucky that they lost him to UNC.

Barnes is the third key recruit in the last ten years who Duke expected to sign and didn't. The other two were Jared Jeffries and Brandan Wright.

Duke got in late with Patrick Patterson and John Wall and never caught up to the leaders, in Wall's case a coach not a school. Duke had good vibes from Monroe but he ended his recruitment before even making an official to Duke. Florida and Duke were perceived as 50-50 for Boynton.

But let's look at who's in, not who's out. Just a few weeks ago Duke got a committment from a consensus top-five recruit at a position of need. Yet, to read this and other Duke boards you would think it never happened.

Irving is the second top-five recruit to pick Duke in the last four years; how many schools can make that claim? And he will join guys like Nolan Smith, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, and Josh Hairston. And maybe Singler.

These guys didn't just show up on the discard heap. Duke got them by winning recruiting battles against Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Louisville, Villanova, Indiana, Georgetown, and yes, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

And don't forget Mr. Curry. Think he couldn't have gone just about anywhere? Yet, Duke locked him up within days of his departure from Liberty. This would be the same Seth Curry who beat out Kenny Boynton for a spot on the U.S. U-19 team last summer, the same Seth Curry that Andrew Goodman said was the best player on the court during a recent Duke practice.

And Curry may well not start next year.

So let's not make that all-too-easy-jump from the specific to the general. You win some, you lose some on the recruiting trail. That was the case with John Wooden, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, and Bob Knight. It's the case with Mike Krzyzewski and it's the case with Roy Williams.

I'm reasonably certain that Duke isn't going anywhere. But no, I don't have a link for that. :)

Just asking for some perspective here, folks.

dukelifer
11-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Look, Duke would be better with Barnes than without him. Duke wanted Barnes, expected to sign him and didn't. Sucky that Duke missed on Barnes. Double sucky that they lost him to UNC.

Barnes is the third key recruit in the last ten years who Duke expected to sign and didn't. The other two were Jared Jeffries and Brandan Wright.

Duke got in late with Patrick Patterson and John Wall and never caught up to the leaders, in Wall's case a coach not a school. Duke had good vibes from Monroe but he ended his recruitment before even making an official to Duke. Florida and Duke were perceived as 50-50 for Boynton.

But let's look at who's in, not who's out. Just a few weeks ago Duke got a committment from a consensus top-five recruit at a position of need. Yet, to read this and other Duke boards you would think it never happened.

Irving is the second top-five recruit to pick Duke in the last four years; how many schools can make that claim? And he will join guys like Nolan Smith, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, and Josh Hairston. And maybe Singler.

These guys didn't just show up on the discard heap. Duke got them by winning recruiting battles against Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Louisville, Villanova, Indiana, Georgetown, and yes, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

And don't forget Mr. Curry. Think he couldn't have gone just about anywhere? Yet, Duke locked him up within days of his departure from Liberty. This would be the same Seth Curry who beat out Kenny Boynton for a spot on the U.S. U-19 team last summer, the same Seth Curry that Andrew Goodman said was the best player on the court during a recent Duke practice.

And Curry may well not start next year.

So let's not make that all-too-easy-jump from the specific to the general. You win some, you lose some on the recruiting trail. That was the case with John Wooden, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, and Bob Knight. It's the case with Mike Krzyzewski and it's the case with Roy Williams.

I'm reasonably certain that Duke isn't going anywhere. But no, I don't have a link for that. :)

Just asking for some perspective here, folks.

As usual, Jim is correct. Here is something else to ponder. If 20 years ago a certain recruit had gone to UNC, a place his Dad preferred, instead of Duke life around here might have been very, very different. In many ways, K's NC legacy - his ability to recruit kids Duke never got - started when Grant Hill (number 3 recruit) chose Duke and K over UNC and Dean. It could have easily gone the other way. Also, after K got Grant and 2 NC's before Dean got his, Dean was not done. You just never know how it will all play out and how it will motivate.

Teton Jack
11-14-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree with Jim. We have a nicely stocked cupboard. Let's enjoy it and see how far it takes us. I bet it will be a great ride. We have a truly great junior in Singler, a stellar and dependable guard in Scheyer, players who understand good defense and put themselves on the floor to make plays, and terrific talent for the years to come. Whether Smith comes or not, we will have a great team next year and will compete for the big prize. Focusing on the talent we miss on will not make us a better team.

mgtr
11-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the link on Jim Sumner, very interesting. Regarding Barnes, I note that the sun has continued to rise in the east every morning. I expect that will continue.

MChambers
11-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Jim is almost always right, as is Al Featherston. Linked below are some posts from them that might help you keep recruiting in perspective:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24203

soccerstud2210
11-15-2009, 11:14 PM
@qmillertime Just got off the phone with coach K..headed to Duke tomorrow for the game..

quincy miller's twitter a little while ago

flyingdutchdevil
11-16-2009, 06:05 AM
The most useless post I will post:

@qmillertime is an awesome Tweet name. Don't know much about Miller other than he's a highly rated PF for the class of 2010. That said, with a Tweet account name like that, I want him! ;)

El_Diablo
11-16-2009, 08:24 AM
The most useless post I will post:

@qmillertime is an awesome Tweet name. Don't know much about Miller other than he's a highly rated PF for the class of 2010. That said, with a Tweet account name like that, I want him! ;)

You mean 2011, right? ;)

flyingdutchdevil
11-16-2009, 08:27 AM
you know what i meant :)

NSDukeFan
11-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Jim is almost always right, as is Al Featherston. Linked below are some posts from them that might help you keep recruiting in perspective:

Agree very much with your post, and of course with Jim's. I wonder if these two links should be added to every recruiting thread for some perspective, or as a sticky at the top of the threads' page.

BlueDevilCorvette!
11-16-2009, 12:22 PM
A lady at a grocery store was hagging me about my Duke T-Shirt. She loudly proclaimed "You need to be a Carolina Fan, everybody loves UNC". I responded, "Yes, your are right, there are more UNC fans but Duke fans are like the MARINES...The Few and The Proud" and we support our teams with honor and true integrity unlike UNC and their multitude of "bandwagon fans".

Anyway, we lost out on HB but keeping up with the theme of the Marines, Duke will adjust and adapt to the current situation. We've responded well from adversity before and will continue to do so.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced" - James Baldwin

jesus_hurley
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
A lady at a grocery store was hagging me about my Duke T-Shirt. She loudly proclaimed "You need to be a Carolina Fan, everybody loves UNC". I responded, "Yes, your are right, there are more UNC fans but Duke fans are like the MARINES...The Few and The Proud" and we support our teams with honor and true integrity unlike UNC and their multitude of "bandwagon fans".

Anyway, we lost out on HB but keeping up with the theme of the Marines, Duke will adjust and adapt to the current situation. We've responded well from adversity before and will continue to do so.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced" - James Baldwin

I was 'fortunate' enough to be between 2 UNC-CH fans picking up food from Bullocks on Friday night. Needless to say it was hard getting out of there with food and sanity intact and without an assault charge....

UrinalCake
11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Ok, I want to talk about big guys. Next year we will have the Plumlees and Josh Hairston. Singler can play PF as well but is more naturally a SF. Kelly also seems like a 3/4. Quincy Miller (if he comes) is listed as a PF. Marshall Plumlee is big but I would suppose his game to be simlar to his brothers.

So from the looks of things, the closest player to a true center we will have from 2010-2012 is Miles Plumlee. Is anyone else concerned by this? I know that Duke's offense does not rely on a traditional post player, but it still seems odd that we will not have one on our roster. Am I missing some other targets on our recruiting radar? It seems like most of the attention on the boards has focused on guards and wing players, but to me landing a big guy is a more pressing need.

COYS
11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Ok, I want to talk about big guys. Next year we will have the Plumlees and Josh Hairston. Singler can play PF as well but is more naturally a SF. Kelly also seems like a 3/4. Quincy Miller (if he comes) is listed as a PF. Marshall Plumlee is big but I would suppose his game to be simlar to his brothers.

So from the looks of things, the closest player to a true center we will have from 2010-2012 is Miles Plumlee. Is anyone else concerned by this? I know that Duke's offense does not rely on a traditional post player, but it still seems odd that we will not have one on our roster. Am I missing some other targets on our recruiting radar? It seems like most of the attention on the boards has focused on guards and wing players, but to me landing a big guy is a more pressing need.

MP3 is the most interior oriented of the three brothers. He will almost certainly fit the bill of "true center" by the time he's ready to enter college.

rotogod00
11-16-2009, 02:11 PM

We haven't had a true big (Zoubek not withstanding) on our roster since Sheldon Williams left. In fairness though, there aren't many true bigs left anymore. Everyone, including the 7 footers, wants to handle the rock and shoot 3s.

Greg_Newton
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I think Miles fits the bill pretty darn well. I love having him at the five. He'll probably be 6-10, 240-odd for the next 3 years, which is certainly big enough for a center, but IMO he plays even bigger than that due to his extremely quick jumping ability and affinity for physical contact. I'm doing my best not to get excited until we play some real teams with big guys that are his size, but it's nice to finally have a "beast" under the basket. I loved when the UNC-G big guy tried to get tough and back him down on an iso, and Miles just stood him up, cuffed his shot and threw it back down into his face.

If he can learn to a) avoid picking up body-contact fouls on defense and b) learn some power post moves like a drop step that would make use of his explosiveness around the rim, I really think he'll develop into a huge presence down low. He'll probably never be a polished, HansWow-type 20 ppg scorer, but it just helps everything else so much when you have an agile, mobile and hostile big guy holding down the fort inside.

I wouldn't necessarily have been scared of a Shavlik Randolph or Josh McRoberts if I was an opponent, or really even Shelden Williams. However, I just wouldn't really want to mix it up with Miles... he's the kind of athlete that can just embarrass you.

airowe
11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Josh Hairston is going to be a monster down low for us. Watch as he blows up at Montrose Christian this year.

Hermy-own
11-16-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm not quite as knowledgeable as some of the other people on the board. Can someone explain the difference between a 4 & 5 (PF and C)? I'm not sure how they are used differently, and what that means in terms of ideal physical talents.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm not quite as knowledgeable as some of the other people on the board. Can someone explain the difference between a 4 & 5 (PF and C)? I'm not sure how they are used differently, and what that means in terms of ideal physical talents.

Shaq is a 5
KG is a 4

superdave
11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Shaq is a 5
KG is a 4

Dwight Howard and Yao are 5's
Carlos Boozer and Blake Griffin are 4's
Mugsy Bogues and Nate Robinson are 1/2's

chrisheery
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
There is essentially no difference. In college, they are same thing. However, in these cases, 5 would guard the other teams' biggest player, 4 would guard the more perimeter oriented of the big men. They usually play that role on offense too. That is why Miles plays "5" and Mason "4." Mason has more perimeter skills, maybe not as inclined to play inside. Miles like to dunk and shoot hook shots. It seems we prefer them to be interchangable, but the bigger guy usually takes the other teams' bigger guy. I think both Miles and Mason have similar skills and will be great in both roles.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-16-2009, 07:04 PM

If we were in the 90's i think Howard would actually be a 4

eightyearoldsdude
11-16-2009, 07:04 PM

In today's game (mostly the NBA, but to a lesser extent college ball too), I think players are asked to be versatile. Nonetheless, there are core skills for each position, and it can be seen as a continuum: at the small end, PG's have to be able to handle the ball, drive, pass, and run the offense. At minimum. (It's also tough for them to be effective if they aren't 3-point threats.) At the other end of the spectrum, centers really should be able to establish position in the low post and score with their back to the basket. Whatever else they can do is gravy. PFs are generally expected to be able to play in the low post, but maybe aren't tall enough to count on being able to do it against any and every opponent, which means they also need to be able to hit midrange jumpers and score facing the basket. Wings are not usually asked to post up, but need to be able to hit outside shots and penetrate.

But again, versatility is the name of the game these days because it creates mismatches. in the 90's, George Karl routinely would run isolation plays for Gary Payton so he could post up smaller point guards. And on the other end, Sabonis would routinely shoot the three-ball. That trend has only continued.

Blueequalslife23
11-17-2009, 06:08 AM
What the heck happened to Kendall Williams? I remember he was a 5 star prospect who committed to UCLA real early. I can't find why but does anybody know why he's no longer committed there?

speedevil2001
11-17-2009, 07:36 AM
If we were in the 90's i think Howard would actually be a 4

the position you play is not always determined by what you play on offense but who you can guard on the defensive end.

also the position you play has a lot to do with your teammates.
for example:
duncan was a center in college
he played power forward to start his career because of david robinson. stayed playing the power forward position most of his career, when the spurs had guys like nestorvic and elson, but now duncan has taken the center position for the spurs because he playing with guys like mcdyess, blair, bonner. but he is list as pf/c.

whereinthehellami
11-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Josh Hairston is going to be a monster down low for us. Watch as he blows up at Montrose Christian this year.

Have you seen Josh play? I have seen him play a couple of times and he is no monster down low. He doesn't seek contact. I wouldn't say he plays afraid of contact but he is definately more finesse than power down low. Against smaller inferior HS competition Josh often would put the ball on the glass instead of dunking (with a 4-5" height advantage). Reminds me of a mix between Lance and Joey Beard (as a SR in HS). I'm curious to see how he does at Montrose this year. If he does blow up at Montrose than I could see him playing more his first year than I was previously thinking. If he doesn't blow up than i think it will take Josh some time to get strength and confidence at the college level (like Ryan Kelly).

airowe
11-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Josh has already put 15 lbs of muscle since he arrived at Montrose. With the increase in bulk I expect his willingness to initiate contact will increase as well.

UrinalCake
11-17-2009, 10:07 AM
the position you play is not always determined by what you play on offense but who you can guard on the defensive end.

That's my biggest concern - who is going to guard guys like Deon Thompson or Trevor Booker down at Clemson? Ever since Shelden we haven't had an answer for the big centers who can just pound it inside. Our strategy is typically to use single coverage, let the big guy get his points and try to shut down everyone else, but I think this is somewhat out of necessity rather than by choice. And the jury is still out as to whether Miles can be that kind of defender, even with some size around him to help.

It doesn't seem like we're pursuing any prototypical centers with our recruiting, so I'm not sure if deliberate or if it's just that there aren't any of those players available in the next two classes.

Indoor66
11-17-2009, 10:13 AM
That's my biggest concern - who is going to guard guys like Deon Thompson or Trevor Booker down at Clemson? Ever since Shelden we haven't had an answer for the big centers who can just pound it inside. Our strategy is typically to use single coverage, let the big guy get his points and try to shut down everyone else, but I think this is somewhat out of necessity rather than by choice. And the jury is still out as to whether Miles can be that kind of defender, even with some size around him to help.

It doesn't seem like we're pursuing any prototypical centers with our recruiting, so I'm not sure if deliberate or if it's just that there aren't any of those players available in the next two classes.

Actually, Z has been quite effective defending big centers.

UrinalCake
11-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Actually, Z has been quite effective defending big centers.

Yeah, my example was kind of confusing... I was actually talking about who would fill the position next year and in 2011. I used Thompson and Booker as examples of a certain type of player, though I'm aware that they won't be around next year.

Indoor66
11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah, my example was kind of confusing... I was actually talking about who would fill the position next year and in 2011. I used Thompson and Booker as examples of a certain type of player, though I'm aware that they won't be around next year.

This is 2009! What the heck are you talking about? Can we at least live in today when talking about last night's game? 2011 will be here soon enough. Some of you are wishing your life away. Can we stay in the now?

Reddevil
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM

It looks like the Plumlee bros., hopefully Marshall included, will handle the 4 & 5 positions. Looking at 2011 recruits, there aren't a ton a beasts available. The kids will be fine though - especially surrounded by the talent Duke has and will get....unless that Raphael kid from Miami (reportedly 6-9, 360) presents a problem. It will then be up to the crazies to taunt him with pizza I guess.

Duvall
11-17-2009, 10:55 AM
This is 2009! What the heck are you talking about? Can we at least live in today when talking about last night's game?

This is not the thread for talking about last night's game. It's the thread for talking about 2011 recruiting, which frankly is more important than continuing to discuss the vagaries of a workmanlike effort against an overmatched opponent.

Indoor66
11-17-2009, 10:57 AM
This is not the thread for talking about last night's game. It's the thread for talking about 2011 recruiting, which frankly is more important than continuing to discuss the vagaries of a workmanlike effort against an overmatched opponent.

My error, I apologize. My sentiments still stand.

AlaskanAssassin
11-28-2009, 01:52 AM
So Brad Beal is supposedly making a decision soon, and we're not on the list? (atleast not on scouts)

Oriole Way
11-28-2009, 02:01 AM
So Brad Beal is supposedly making a decision soon, and we're not on the list? (atleast not on scouts)

If Brad Beal is really making a decision soon, Duke certainly won't be his destination.

AlaskanAssassin
11-28-2009, 02:05 AM
If Brad Beal is really making a decision soon, Duke certainly won't be his destination.

Why is that?

Oriole Way
11-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Why is that?

Duke is waiting on Austin Rivers' decision. It is thought amongst recruiting circles that Beal and Rivers will not play together at Duke because of the surplus of guards that Duke will have starting next season.

It is highly unlikely that Beal would commit to Duke until Rivers makes a decision. In other words, Beal will most likely only come to Duke if Rivers stays at Florida. Duke has been recruiting Beal, but as of yet it hasn't been a "fullcourt press" recruitment, so to speak, as it was with our other primary targets such as Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving. To my knowledge, Beal has not made an unofficial visit aside from trips where his AAU team played in Cameron, and he certainly hasn't made an official visit. While some players such as Andre Dawkins have made commitments without an official visit, it would be extremely unlikely that a player such as Beal - with a higher-priority target who is also guard in Rivers yet to make a decision - would commit given the circumstances.

Kedsy
11-29-2009, 12:23 AM
While some players such as Andre Dawkins have made commitments without an official visit, it would be extremely unlikely that a player such as Beal - with a higher-priority target who is also guard in Rivers yet to make a decision - would commit given the circumstances.

He's only a junior. Has he made official visits to his other finalists?

airowe
11-29-2009, 01:41 AM
He's only a junior. Has he made official visits to his other finalists?

He can't. You can only take official visits in your Senior Year.

Kedsy
11-29-2009, 02:35 PM
To my knowledge, Beal has not made an unofficial visit aside from trips where his AAU team played in Cameron, and he certainly hasn't made an official visit. While some players such as Andre Dawkins have made commitments without an official visit, it would be extremely unlikely that a player such as Beal - with a higher-priority target who is also guard in Rivers yet to make a decision - would commit given the circumstances.

Since anyone who commits as a junior would have to do so without an official visit, I'm not sure I agree with your logic. Beal has been on Duke's campus and my guess is the coaching staff has told him there's room for both him and Rivers to get plenty of playing time. If he commits to Florida (which appears to be the buzz) there's a good chance he and Rivers will play together. From what I've read in the past he considers that a plus. I'm not saying he'll commit to Duke, but if he doesn't, I don't think the fact that he hasn't had an official visit would be the reason.

As far as there being enough room for both Beal and Rivers, if we play a three guard offense there should be plenty of minutes for all.

He can't. You can only take official visits in your Senior Year.

That's what I thought.

AlaskanAssassin
11-30-2009, 11:05 AM
So I guess we're out? Looks like it's between Kansas and Florida: http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/30/lamb-still-deciding-beal-to-announce-monday/

I guess we'll see later today.

airowe
11-30-2009, 11:09 AM
So I guess we're out? Looks like it's between Kansas and Florida: http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/30/lamb-still-deciding-beal-to-announce-monday/

I guess we'll see later today.

This ship sailed a while ago. I'll say Florida, but that's just me.

The announcement was supposed to come at 11:00 EST...

rotogod00
11-30-2009, 11:37 AM
This ship sailed a while ago. I'll say Florida, but that's just me.

The announcement was supposed to come at 11:00 EST...

he picked florida. is that good or bad as far as rivers goes?

superdave
11-30-2009, 11:42 AM
he picked florida. is that good or bad as far as rivers goes?

It seems like Beal and Rivers are both combo guards and that would appear good for us. What are the odds that Kenny Boynton sticks around UF for 3-4 years?

I dont know how having a somewhat crowded backcourt in 2012 would affect Rivers' decision - we'll have Dawkins, Irving and Curry, as well as Thornton. But Duke has often played 3 guards and could really run a lot with this squad.

Anyone got anything more concrete than this speculation?

slower
11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
It seems like Beal and Rivers are both combo guards and that would appear good for us. What are the odds that Kenny Boynton sticks around UF for 3-4 years?

I dont know how having a somewhat crowded backcourt in 2012 would affect Rivers' decision - we'll have Dawkins, Irving and Curry, as well as Thornton. But Duke has often played 3 guards and could really run a lot with this squad.

Not sure that you can automatically pencil all those guys in for 2012. You just never know.

airowe
11-30-2009, 11:46 AM

I don't think it impacts it too much at all, honestly. I think more than anything it says that Donovan is not confident he's keeping Rivers.

Beal must like the Nerf Gun :cool:

rotogod00
11-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Not sure that you can automatically pencil all those guys in for 2012. You just never know.

especially irving (unfortunately). he has the talent to be a 1-and-done

rotogod00
11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't think it impacts it too much at all, honestly. I think more than anything it says that Donovan is not confident he's keeping Rivers.

yeah, was thinking the same thing. or maybe even that the rivers ship has already sailed (but maybe not officially)

superdave
11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
yeah, was thinking the same thing. or maybe even that the rivers ship has already sailed (but maybe not officially)

Good point about Donovan's confidence as far as Rivers goes.

What about Kenny Boynton? Is he on the NBA radar map at all?

El_Diablo
11-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Why would it say anything about Donovan's confidence in keeping Rivers? It's not like he'd say, "Well...I think Rivers will stay with us, so I guess I'll just pass on Beal" or think, "I'll only offer Beal if I know that Rivers is leaving." Isn't it entirely possible that a coach would want to bring in elite talent regardless of the rest of what other players he has???

This says nothing about Donovan's confidence in keeping Rivers. He'd want both if he could have both.

airowe
11-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Why would it say anything about Donovan's confidence in keeping Rivers? It's not like he'd say, "Well...I think Rivers will stay with us, so I guess I'll just pass on Beal" or think, "I'll only offer Beal if I know that Rivers is leaving." Isn't it entirely possible that a coach would want to bring in elite talent regardless of the rest of what other players he has???

This says nothing about Donovan's confidence in keeping Rivers. He'd want both if he could have both.

You're right. I should have just ended it after the first sentence. Almost did, but then I had to go run my mouth...

Regardless, Brad Beal loves Nerf Guns.

rotogod00
11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Good point about Donovan's confidence as far as Rivers goes.

What about Kenny Boynton? Is he on the NBA radar map at all?

chad ford has him at 67 on his big board. so right now i'd say no ;-)

Kedsy
11-30-2009, 12:12 PM

In general, having a crowded anything doesn't usually affect the top players. We fans may think this way but the players don't. They know they're going to play, and they probably don't care all that much who will be playing behind them. Even if it's not true, even if the recruit isn't good enough to start over the existing talent, these kids are teenagers and everybody is constantly telling them how wonderful they are.

I also don't think Beal's decision foreshadows a Rivers departure. I read somewhere awhile ago that Rivers and Beal wanted to play together. Of course I've also read that Rivers and Kyrie wanted to play together, so I don't see a real obvious lean either way.

airowe
12-16-2009, 10:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail

Marshall Plumlee, C

Warsaw

Christ School(NC)

Marshall Plumlee powers Christ School
ESPNU Super 60 forward Marshall Plumlee led the way with 21 points, 12 rebounds and 7 blocks in Christ School's 96-60 rout of Asheville Christian Academy on Tuesday.

sagegrouse
12-16-2009, 10:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail

MarshallI'm a real wanker for saying this.Plumlee,I'm a real wanker for saying this.C

Warsaw,I'm a real wanker for saying this.INI'm a real wanker for saying this.

ChristI'm a real wanker for saying this.SchoolI'm a real wanker for saying this.(NC)

ScoutsI'm a real wanker for saying this.Grade:I'm a real wanker for saying this.94

ESPN100I'm a real wanker for saying this.Rank:I'm a real wanker for saying this.49

PositionI'm a real wanker for saying this.Rank:I'm a real wanker for saying this.4

Marshall Plumlee powers Christ School
ESPNU Super 60 forward Marshall Plumlee led the way with 21 points, 12 rebounds and 7 blocks in Christ School's 96-60 rout of Asheville Christian Academy on Tuesday.

airowe: Would you show mercy on us by editing your post?

sagegrouse

slower
12-16-2009, 11:26 AM
where do these "I'm a real wanker..." comments come from?

Are the mods inserting them or do individual posters insert them?

Either way, they are annoying as crap. Please stop, already.

soccerstud2210
12-16-2009, 12:05 PM

I highly doubt that Airowe is doing that on purpose. he is one of the more highly respected posters on DBR

they appear to be somehow added in when copying from another site and posting on here. its happened to me before as well

airowe
12-16-2009, 12:10 PM

It's a filter for profane language, but I have no idea how they made it in my post. I copied and pasted from a website and they showed up.

The wanker thing must be customized here, because most sites I go to there are stars filtering out the words. It makes it really hard to read though, as it's not in a different font or italicized or anything to set it apart from the rest of the text. If the wanker thing needs to stay, maybe put a space in the string literal that you guys are using for your LPAD filter function?

camion
12-16-2009, 02:20 PM
It looks like the HTML links, in the text that was copied and pasted, are being read as something unacceptable. Here's what I see when I look at the HTML source from that part of the ESPN web page.

<a href="tracker/player?page=onthetrail&recruitId=64545">Marshall Plumlee</a>, <a href="tracker/prospects?reg=null&state=null&status=null&toggle=null&season=2010&pos=C">C</a></div><div>Warsaw, <a href="tracker/prospects?reg=null&pos=null&status=null&toggle=null&season=2010&state=IN ">IN </a>

SupaDave
12-16-2009, 02:58 PM
It's a filter for profane language, but I have no idea how they made it in my post. I copied and pasted from a website and they showed up.

The wanker thing must be customized here, because most sites I go to there are stars filtering out the words.

Correct. It may have mistaken some empty text and the following letter as some type of obscene word.

camion
12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Filters can have unintended consequences. A professor where I work once became irate and complained because an IT support person never responded to his emails. It turned out that the professor, an older gentleman, had a rule in his personal spam filter that blocked any email mentioning CIALIS. Part of the IT support person's signature was "Specialist" in which the filter rule found speCIALISt and promptly dumped emails to the professor from this person in the trash.

Bluedevil114
12-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Its great to see Nolan is using his break to get out and do some recruiting for Duke!!

QCook323 waiting on my mom to pick me up, so i can go ova @NdotSmitty joint..hit me up! RiP DADo Nolan!!

NdotSmitty Ahhh this is what I need! Relaxation time with the family! Ma, curt, syd, kobe, king! Just wondering where my lil brova @QCook323

airowe
12-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Its great to see Nolan is using his break to get out and do some recruiting for Duke!!

QCook323 waiting on my mom to pick me up, so i can go ova @NdotSmitty joint..hit me up! RiP DADo Nolan!!

NdotSmitty Ahhh this is what I need! Relaxation time with the family! Ma, curt, syd, kobe, king! Just wondering where my lil brova @QCook323

Quinn is actually Nolan's family. I think it's his stepbrother...

ChicagoCrazy84
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM

I think you are right. Lots of connections with Quinn Cook. He plays on DC Assault much like Ty Thornton and Josh Hairston. If KI leaves early, he should be our main guy.

RockyMtDevil
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Assuming our players return, our 2011 team consists of:
Guards:
Dawkins
Irving (maybe)
Curry
Thornton

Bigs:
Kelly
Miles
Mason
Hairston

So, who are we targeting besides Quincy Miller? We might lose Irving as a one and done. Seems like we need a 1 or a 2 and a strong slasher 3.

Who are we after folks?

superdave
12-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Who are we after folks?

Roscoe Smith (or possibly another 3 that we have not offered yet)
Marshall Plumlee
Austin Rivers

I'm sure there's another dozen we are after, but these are the one's zeroed in on to my knowledge.

roywhite
12-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Roscoe Smith (or possibly another 3 that we have not offered yet)
Marshall Plumlee
Austin Rivers

I'm sure there's another dozen we are after, but these are the one's zeroed in on to my knowledge.

Roscoe Smith is a 2010 prospect.

For 2011, Quincy Miller, Marshall Plumlee, and Austin Rivers are the three we are hearing the most about at this point.

superdave
12-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Has Trey Ziegler been offered?

DukeBlueDevils47
12-26-2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-hs-city-of-palms-1223-20091222,0,2239582.story

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4767735
Just some articles having to do with 2 of our 2011 targets

gotham devil
12-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Quinn is definitely Not Nolan Smith's stepbrother. Quinn's father died after he got to DeMatha and Nolan helped his fellow DC Assault brother to cope with his father's untimely death. Quinn's mother, a transplanted New Yorker, is very much in Quinn's life.

Bluedevil114
12-28-2009, 11:38 PM
So great, hopefully like I said before...........Nolan is selling Duke hard. I am a DeMatha alum and played ball with Coach Mike Jones growing up and I know he likes Duke.

MisterRoddy
01-02-2010, 01:50 PM
If Duke gets these guys, this should be the top recruiting class:

Austin Rivers
1 of Quincy Miller or Adonis Thomas
Quinn Cook (or some other high ranked guard they might go after in the future)
Marshall Plumlee (or maybe even Desmond Hubert)

Osiagledknarf
02-14-2010, 04:48 PM
I know it's a little early, bit there has already been a lot of talk about the 2011 recruiting class. Guys like Quincy Miller, Marshall Plumlee, Austin Rivers, Quinn Cook and others. Let's put all news and thoughts about this class.

I personally think we get 3 out of 5 of these guys. Rivers, Miller and Plumlee.

Osiagledknarf
02-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I really think there is a good chance that we land Marshall Plumlee. He of course has the family connection with Miles and Mason here, and the program is also flourishing with great talent. I think this school will appeal to him the most out of the Wake Forest, Notre Dame etc...

roywhite
02-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Another prospect for the Class of 2011 is Michael Gbinije, a 6'6" player from Richmond, VA.

http://duke.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1052177

The link is to a premium article on rivals.com, but the title says "Duke Offers Gbinije".

Gbinije and his parents attended the Duke-MD game over the weekend.

CrazieDUMB
02-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Caught the gonzaga - dematha game on comcast in DC. My BOY Tyler Thornton (repping my alma mater) won, but he only had 9 points. Cook was pretty amazing though, I'd love to see him in a Duke uniform, even if he is a stag.

NYC Duke Fan
02-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Roscoe Smith is a 2010 prospect.

For 2011, Quincy Miller, Marshall Plumlee, and Austin Rivers are the three we are hearing the most about at this point.

And he committed to UConn.

Osiagledknarf
02-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Another prospect for the Class of 2011 is Michael Gbinije, a 6'6" player from Richmond, VA.

http://duke.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1052177

The link is to a premium article on rivals.com, but the title says "Duke Offers Gbinije".

Gbinije and his parents attended the Duke-MD game over the weekend.

For what I have heard and seen of him, I am really impressed with him. We will be needing depth at the SF position with Singler gone after season, and seeing it is unlikely that we get Zeigler or Ross.

This kid is a good defender who has a very good outside outside shot, and is a good defender. He would be good going forward at the 3 in 2011 or 2012, with Miles or Hairston at the 4, and Mason at the 5, depending what happens with Quincy Miller.

Bsim412
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Michael Gbinije attended the Duke camp in the summer and the coaches were impressed by him. Duke seems to have a decent chance at him because his list of suitors are not that strong. He would be a great addition to the class

AlaskanAssassin
03-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Don't know if any is interested or if this is old news, but UNC is showing interest in Marquis Teague (Jeff Teague's brother)

Just thought I'd share: http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/03/tar-heels-jump-in-late-for-teague/

Saratoga2
03-05-2010, 07:20 AM
I really think there is a good chance that we land Marshall Plumlee. He of course has the family connection with Miles and Mason here, and the program is also flourishing with great talent. I think this school will appeal to him the most out of the Wake Forest, Notre Dame etc...

We should start Miles and Mason next year so that should be a real enducement to have Marshall join the team as well.

CDu
03-05-2010, 08:25 AM
For what I have heard and seen of him, I am really impressed with him. We will be needing depth at the SF position with Singler gone after season, and seeing it is unlikely that we get Zeigler or Ross.

This kid is a good defender who has a very good outside outside shot, and is a good defender. He would be good going forward at the 3 in 2011 or 2012, with Miles or Hairston at the 4, and Mason at the 5, depending what happens with Quincy Miller.

I'd flipflop Mason and Miles in that scenario (Mason is the one with the game to play the 4, not Miles). And you've omitted Ryan Kelly, whom I think will be very involved with the rotation by 2011.

CDu
03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
We should start Miles and Mason next year so that should be a real enducement to have Marshall join the team as well.

Well unless Kelly greatly improves over the summer (moreso than Miles or Mason) or Hairston is an absolute superstar, I think you'll get your wish. Both have started this year already, and we'll be losing the two seniors ahead of them in the rotation.

DeBlueDevil
03-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Just to sidetrack has anyone taken a good look at Q Miller? I took a look last night and he looks PHENOMENAL. Couldn't imagine how good he'd be if KI stays until sophmore year and they get to play together. From what I've heard to is that atleast he doesn't like UNC and seems to be a duke fan.....anyone have any input?

SupaDave
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Just to sidetrack has anyone taken a good look at Q Miller? I took a look last night and he looks PHENOMENAL. Couldn't imagine how good he'd be if KI stays until sophmore year and they get to play together. From what I've heard to is that atleast he doesn't like UNC and seems to be a duke fan.....anyone have any input?

Search the name "Quincy Miller" and his thread will surely pop up.

Osiagledknarf
03-05-2010, 10:57 AM
http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/duke-unlikely-to-pursue-gilchrist/

Looks like you can cross him off the potential list for coming here.

94duke
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/duke-unlikely-to-pursue-gilchrist/

Looks like you can cross him off the potential list for coming here.

love this line:

"the style of play of the Duke program is not one that intrigues Gilchrist and therefore he has focused his college search elsewhere"

flyingdutchdevil
03-05-2010, 12:57 PM
love this line:

"the style of play of the Duke program is not one that intrigues Gilchrist and therefore he has focused his college search elsewhere"

What's ironic is that Gilchrist is apparently the best defensive player in high school. And everyone knows that Duke doesn't play defense...

Starter
03-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Too bad. I've seen Gilchrist play a few times, and his skill set on both sides of the ball would fit in great at Duke in my opinion. From what I understand, his natural tendencies are to be a slasher, though that's not the role he plays on St. Pat's where it's necessary to have him on the blocks. My guess -- only a guess -- is that he's seen players like Singler and Lance Thomas playing out of position down low out of necessity -- until this year, when a trio of quality big men have stepped up. But if K were to get a player of Gilchrist's quality, you'd have to think that as it would have been for Barnes, they would have designed the offense around where Gilchrist's true skills lie.

I just think it comes down to Kentucky or 'Nova, and it's actually a service that there's no pretense here. If he feels he'd be better elsewhere than Duke, I'm glad they're not on his list so they can focus on other players.

Osiagledknarf
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
What's ironic is that Gilchrist is apparently the best defensive player in high school. And everyone knows that Duke doesn't play defense...

Where are you getting this from? We play very good defense at times, and is one of the best in the country. Where are you getting from? He is just looking elsewhere, and the scholly offer I believe is still on the table.

Osiagledknarf
03-06-2010, 03:43 PM
ESPN Scouts Inc. is reporting that Duke Coach Nate James recently stopped by Detroit Country Day School to watch class of 2011 center Amir Williams in action. Williams is a 4 star rated recruit according to both Scout.com and Rivals.com. The 6’9” 220lb Williams is also being recruited by Michigan, Kentucky, Michigan State, UCLA, and Ohio State. While playing in front James the other night Williams scored 12 points, grabbed 7 rebounds, and blocked 3 shots.

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/class-of-2011-center-amir-williams-gets-a-visit-from-nate-james/

Bob Green
03-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Where are you getting this from? We play very good defense at times, and is one of the best in the country. Where are you getting from? He is just looking elsewhere, and the scholly offer I believe is still on the table.

It is called sarcasm.

BD80
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
love this line:

"style of play" is either a typo or an euphemism for "style of pay"

DevilHorns
03-06-2010, 05:03 PM
"style of play" is either a typo or an euphemism for "style of pay"

Sour grapes. Some players are just not interested in going to Duke, they aren't necessarily taking money or getting "hooked up" for a future in the NBA.

Duke requires an academic rigor that future NBA prospects could simply do without. And its not necessarily located in the most attractive area in the country.

If some kid wants to go to UK, so be it. Thats the world we live in. I'm fine with all the talented good kids that we pick up.

BD80
03-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Sour grapes. Some players are just not interested in going to Duke, they aren't necessarily taking money or getting "hooked up" for a future in the NBA. ...

Haven't really followed the Gilchrist "recruitment" have you?

His family and "inner circle" were bemoaning the lack of love from other major schools. It is SO well know that Gilchrist has been "hooked" that schools aren't even bothering to expend time and resources to recruit Gilchrist.

If the issue were truly "style of play," wouldn't at least some other schools be trying to get involved with the number one prospect in the nation?

DevilHorns
03-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Haven't really followed the Gilchrist "recruitment" have you?

His family and "inner circle" were bemoaning the lack of love from other major schools. It is SO well know that Gilchrist has been "hooked" that schools aren't even bothering to expend time and resources to recruit Gilchrist.

If the issue were truly "style of play," wouldn't at least some other schools be trying to get involved with the number one prospect in the nation?

No I havent really been following his recruitment. You got me there if what you say is true.

I do think what I said is generally true though. Duke is a hard pick for NBA prospects to pick for reasons like academic workload, location, playing time for freshmen/sophs, etc.... and therefore if a recruit doesn't feel like Duke's a good fit for him, then he's likely right, and we should just respect the decision and move on.

BD80
03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
No I havent really been following his recruitment. You got me there if what you say is true.

I do think what I said is generally true though. Duke is a hard pick for NBA prospects to pick for reasons like academic workload, location, playing time for freshmen/sophs, etc.... and therefore if a recruit doesn't feel like Duke's a good fit for him, then he's likely right, and we should just respect the decision and move on.

I completely agree. Kenny Boyton is a great example of a kid that could have handled the academics, but chose not to. Frankly, I am not certain if I would pass up the chance to be a star athlete at a place like Florida. Fortunately, I was never presented with such a difficult choice :D

towerview road
03-07-2010, 12:31 AM
ESPN Scouts Inc. is reporting that Duke Coach Nate James recently stopped by Detroit Country Day School to watch class of 2011 center Amir Williams in action. [/url]

Also the HS alma mater of Shane Battier :-D

juise
03-07-2010, 02:30 AM
Also the HS alma mater of Shane Battier :-D

And one of this board's moderators, if I'm not mistaken. :)

GODUKEGO
03-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Sour grapes. Some players are just not interested in going to Duke, they aren't necessarily taking money or getting "hooked up" for a future in the NBA.

Duke requires an academic rigor that future NBA prospects could simply do without. And its not necessarily located in the most attractive area in the country.

If some kid wants to go to UK, so be it. Thats the world we live in. I'm fine with all the talented good kids that we pick up.

You are absolutely correct. When I see a kid considering Texas (31%), UCONN (33%), Louisville (42%) or a WVA (41%) etc.. with those graduation rates, that is a recruit that could care less about a degree. They want to go play basketball and in the words of the great Georgetown scholar Allen Iverson, "Studying, we talking bout studying". They all think they will be in the NBA.

Cisco
03-12-2010, 11:34 AM
First Commitment!

Michael Gbinije :D

superdave
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
First Commitment!

Michael Gbinije :D

Are we still pursuing Quinn Cook in case Kyrie is one and done?

Any other of the 2011 targets likely to make decisions before fall?

Leck
03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
so, w/ the addition of felix, are we officially done recruiting in the 2010 class? is the staff going to back away from zeigler, michael haynes, and cleveland melvin?

if so, it won't be a bad thing because they can start to zero-in on 2011 hot commodities....ie, austin rivers, quincy miller, quinn cook, mp3, and others

MChambers
03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
so, w/ the addition of felix, are we officially done recruiting in the 2010 class? is the staff going to back away from zeigler, michael haynes, and cleveland melvin?

if so, it won't be a bad thing because they can start to zero-in on 2011 hot commodities....ie, austin rivers, quincy miller, quinn cook, mp3, and others

Folks have said we'd take another wing if we could get one.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Folks have said we'd take another wing if we could get one.

I don't have the link, but Blue Devil Nation in regards to Felix's decision said that would be it for Duke this year which I am in total agreement with. With or without Kyle Singler, Hairston, Kelly, and Felix will all be battling for minutes with eachother.

Class of '94
03-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't have the link, but Blue Devil Nation in regards to Felix's decision said that would be it for Duke this year which I am in total agreement with. With or without Kyle Singler, Hairston, Kelly, and Felix will all be battling for minutes with eachother.

This might be more of a 2010 recruiting thread question; but I thought the staff was still interested in Haynes, 6-6 PF; and they were monitoring the situation to see if he can overcome some academic challenges. Does this imply that we decided to stop recruiting him?

airowe
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
This might be more of a 2010 recruiting thread question; but I thought the staff was still interested in Haynes, 6-6 PF; and they were monitoring the situation to see if he can overcome some academic challenges. Does this imply that we decided to stop recruiting him?

According to my sources, Duke will continue to monitor Haynes' academic situation and if he brings up his test scores, will offer. Watzone, of course, knows more than me, but that's what I've been told.

roywhite
04-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Amir Williams, a 6'10" center prospect from Shane Battier's old high school, Detroit Country Day, reportedly has an offer from Duke.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1072912

...big performance from Amir Williams. The 6-foot-10 center started off slow, as did his team falling behind by 20, but he picked it up as the game went on. Williams used his long wingspan and supreme athleticism to dominate down low, and he finished the game with authority.

CameronDuke
04-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Amir Williams, a 6'9" 210 lb center from Detroit County Day School in Detroit, Michigan, claims he has an offer from the Duke University Men's Basketball team. He is in the class of 2011. Williams also has offers from Arizona, Cincinatti, Florida, Miami (FL), Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Wake Forest.

He is listed as the 6th best center in the class of 2011 and is the 30th overall player in the class of 2011. He is currently a 4 star recruit.

If this has been posted elsewhere, please move this to the apprpriate thread, mods.

Bluedog
04-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Here's a link:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1072912

Amir Williams says he recently picked up an offer from Duke

And here are some youtube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGkasEqyMoU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfU02xKLl4s

hedevil
04-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Does anyone know the stats on this guy? PPG, APG, RPG, BPG, etc. Looks like he would get a years worth of work practicing under senior Miles Plumlee. There's also a chance Mason leaves after his junior year so this could be an important pickup if it comes to fruition.

hedevil
04-10-2010, 02:58 PM
bluedog- beat me to it. Thanks for the links.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Is this the fourth center we have offered?

Johnny O'Bryant
Marshall Plum.
And another guy we offered forgot his name.

Bluedog
04-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Is this the fourth center we have offered?

Johnny O'Bryant
Marshall Plum.
And another guy we offered forgot his name.

I don't think we've officially offered O'Bryant. There were rumors (and a thread about it), but I believe it turned out to be untrue. We did, however, offer 6'8", 255 lb Tyler Adams from Brandon, MS.

HowBoutDemDevils
04-10-2010, 03:24 PM
tyler adams

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah Tyler Adams is who I was thinking of thanks. Does anyone have any inside information on why we haven't offered O'Bryant he seems to be ranked the highest and i've seen some clips of him and he looks really good.

Jderf
04-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Do I have to be the one to point out the obvious (and probably baseless) speculation that the staff looks like they're preparing for the case of an early departure by Mason?

Cockabeau
04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I love this kid!

Long and athletic.....

COYS
04-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Do I have to be the one to point out the obvious (and probably baseless) speculation that the staff looks like they're preparing for the case of an early departure by Mason?

Considering that ESPN regarded Mason as the 23rd best prospect by the end of this season (and therefore, a possible late first-rounder) it is definitely not a bad contingency to prepare for. Personally, I think the BEST thing that could happen for Duke is for Mason to blossom into a lottery pick either next season or by the season after that and, if he so chooses, bolt for the NBA.

Even if he doesn't leave, it never hurt anyone to have a lot of front court depth, as our most recent national title team demonstrated :cool:

ACCBBallFan
04-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Considering that ESPN regarded Mason as the 23rd best prospect by the end of this season (and therefore, a possible late first-rounder) it is definitely not a bad contingency to prepare for. Personally, I think the BEST thing that could happen for Duke is for Mason to blossom into a lottery pick either next season or by the season after that and, if he so chooses, bolt for the NBA.

Even if he doesn't leave, it never hurt anyone to have a lot of front court depth, as our most recent national title team demonstrated :cool:

Have not heard anything lately about Marshall Plumlee and Duke, but would think that would kind of guarantee that Mason would stay thru his junior year and Miles' senior year to have the possibility of 3 Plumlees on same team.

Mason appears nowhere near ready now but another year can make a huge difference in his NBA readiness.

COYS
04-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Have not heard anything lately about Marshall Plumlee and Duke, but would think that would kind of guarantee that Mason would stay thru his junior year and Miles' senior year to have the possibility of 3 Plumlees on same team.

Mason appears nowhere near ready now but another year can make a huge difference in his NBA readiness.

By the end of the season, Mason rose to number 23 on ESPN's projected draft boards (higher than Singler, Scheyer, and Smith). 6'11'' guys with his athleticism and ball skills are always going to be in high demand based on potential alone. If he has a breakout year next year, you never know where he will go. He would have to improve his rebounding and IQ on defense as well as show consistent scoring moves and passing, but he certainly has the talent to put it all together and, if he does, his time at Duke might not last through his older brother's senior year.

airowe
04-11-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't think we've officially offered O'Bryant. There were rumors (and a thread about it), but I believe it turned out to be untrue. We did, however, offer 6'8", 255 lb Tyler Adams from Brandon, MS.

Duke hasn't offered O'Bryant or Williams, but are monitoring them in case one of, if not both of the Plumlees are gone after next season.

Duke has offered Adams, and appear to be in very good shape with him.

Dukeknights
04-11-2010, 02:30 PM
how is Amir Williams compared to Tyler Adams?

Osiagledknarf
04-11-2010, 11:29 PM
how is Amir Williams compared to Tyler Adams?

Williams is more of an athletic center who is more of a shot blocker and is a more explosive player then Adams is, and will crash the offensive glass..

Adams is like a Dejuan Blair type... A big guy who can rebound and can create miss matchups for smaller centers, and a guy who has some offensive skills which will create matchups for smaller teams.. A hustler and gritty player as well..

roywhite
04-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Take 4 for 2011?

Gbinije, Rivers, Adams and one more?

Big Pappa
04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Take 4 for 2011?

Does anyone know where we stand with Quincy Miller? The kid can flat out play and on ESPN's recruiting we are still listed on his list of schools.

Osiagledknarf
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Take 4 for 2011?

I wouldn't say that Rivers is a certain at all. I think he is a very good bet to come to Duke, but things can change on a dime i.e Harrison Barnes.. He has shown some signs and said some very nice thing about the Duke program and about coach K, but there is a reason why he is allowing UNC and other schools to recruit him.. Are we the frontrunners for him? sure.. But I don't think he is a lock by any means..

There are also a pool of players where we are looking at right now which includes:

Quinn Cook
Quincy Miller
Marshall Plumlee
Johnny O'Bryant
Tony Kimbro

roywhite
04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't say that Rivers is a certain at all. I think he is a very good bet to come to Duke, but things can change on a dime i.e Harrison Barnes.. He has shown some signs and said some very nice thing about the Duke program and about coach K, but there is a reason why he is allowing UNC and other schools to recruit him.. Are we the frontrunners for him? sure.. But I don't think he is a lock by any means..

There are also a pool of players where we are looking at right now which includes:

Quinn Cook
Quincy Miller
Marshall Plumlee
Johnny O'Bryant
Tony Kimbro

Didn't mean to assume Rivers as a commitment, though I'd certainly like to see it. My question is more directed to an ideal class size or number.

Daniel tosh
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah a four man class of Gbinije,hopefully Rivers,most likley Adams and another big man O'Bryant?Miller?Williams?That would be a top 3-5 class if not better.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know where we stand with Quincy Miller? The kid can flat out play and on ESPN's recruiting we are still listed on his list of schools.

Most say it's between Duke and UK

licc85
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Quinn Cook
Quincy Miller
Marshall Plumlee
Johnny O'Bryant
Tony Kimbro

Don't forget, we offered dai-jon parker a football scholarship, but he's also a 5 star basketball prospect who could walk on the basketball team.

billyj
04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Don't forget, we offered dai-jon parker a football scholarship, but he's also a 5 star basketball prospect who could walk on the basketball team.

How does that work? If he decided to play basketball afterwards, does that mean he will need to pay full tuition on his own? :confused:

superdave
04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
How does that work? If he decided to play basketball afterwards, does that mean he will need to pay full tuition on his own? :confused:

His scholarship would have to come frok football because of some arcane NCAA rules from what I understand. A consistently contributing walk-on sounds great!

licc85
04-12-2010, 05:06 PM

no, he would play 2 sports at once, and his scholarship would be for football (so we wouldnt have to waste a precious basketball scholly) Reggie Love did this. Juilus Peppers did it at UNC.

-jk
04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
no, he would play 2 sports at once, and his scholarship would be for football (so we wouldnt have to waste a precious basketball scholly) Reggie Love did this. Juilus Peppers did it at UNC.

You aren't allowed to "waste" a basketball scholly on a football player.

The hierarchy of scholarships forces any scholarship football player to take the football scholarship, regardless of other sports played. Any scholarship basketball player must take the basketball scholarship so long as he doesn't play football. Beyond that, I don't think the NCAA cares. It helps keep schools from padding football and basketball at the expense of other sports.

Trajan Langdon was a walk-on (the Padres paid his tuition), and "walk-on" Jay Heaps (the All American soccer player who was not afraid to hip-check anyone, anywhere) had a basketball scholarship and "walked on" in soccer.

-jk

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Let's first hope he comes to duke

jimsumner
04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
No, Trajan Langdon was never a "walk-on" at Duke. During the portions of his career when his tuition was paid for by the San Diego Padres, Langdon was a recruited, non-scholarship player. Some walk-ons, e.g. Jordan Davidson earn scholarships but that does not negate their walk-on status. Davidson was properly referred to as a non-recruited, scholarship player.

The term "walk-on" refers to recruited status not scholarship status.

And, yes, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Back to the original point, there was a time when football coaches, especially those in the SEC, would abuse the system by giving football players basketball scholarships, or golf scholarships, or swimming scholarships, or whatever happened to be lying around. Most football coaches during that era either were ADs or had the ADs wrapped around their whistles. Hence the current rule.

-jk
04-12-2010, 05:55 PM
No, Trajan Langdon was never a "walk-on" at Duke. During the portions of his career when his tuition was paid for by the San Diego Padres, Langdon was a recruited, non-scholarship player. Some walk-ons, e.g. Jordan Davidson earn scholarships but that does not negate their walk-on status. Davidson was properly referred to as a non-recruited, scholarship player.

The term "walk-on" refers to recruited status not scholarship status.

And, yes, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Back to the original point, there was a time when football coaches, especially those in the SEC, would abuse the system by giving football players basketball scholarships, or golf scholarships, or swimming scholarships, or whatever happened to be lying around. Most football coaches during that era either were ADs or had the ADs wrapped around their whistles. Hence the current rule.

Lee Melchioni was in a similar situation his freshman year as I recall. I was merely trying to paint an absurd parallel.

And fleetingly reference a beautiful hip check into press row. :)

-jk

BD80
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
... The term "walk-on" refers to recruited status not scholarship status.

And, yes, this is a pet peeve of mine. ...

What is the difference betwee an "invited" walk-on that receives a scholarship and a recruited athlete? Why is the difference significant?

jimsumner
04-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Technically, the term "invited walk-on" is an oxymoron. The term "preferred walk-on" signifies an intermediate step between a true walk-on and a recruited player. A preferred walk-on generally is promised an opportunity to try out but is not guaranteed a spot. There can be some wink-wink-nudge-nudge going on here.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
An "invited" walk-on or "preferred" walk-on means that the coach has had contact with you and offered you a chance, but it does not guarantee a spot on the team. I was an "invited" walk-on at Arizona for golf technically because the coach saw me in a few tournaments and matches when recruiting one of my teammates. I was not able to get a spot after all :(, so there is absolutely no sure thing even though I did go on a visit and was showed the same treatment as the rest of the returning players as far as pre-season workouts, schedules, academic requirements, and gear.

superdave
04-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Wasn't this basically the Bear Bryant rule because the basketball team at Alabama was just a holding tank for football players?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Top ranked Junior Michael Gilchrist is going to commit on tomorrow.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2fonthetrail

roywhite
04-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Top ranked Junior Michael Gilchrist is going to commit on tomorrow.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2fonthetrail

After watching a few St. Patrick games this year, I wasn't blown away by Gilchrist. He certainly wasn't the best player on his team :). I'm skeptical that he's actually the best player in the class of 2011, but he is a very good prospect.

KY maybe for Gilchrist?

Osiagledknarf
04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Anyone know who else will be announcing there commitment tomorrow?

baby-face dawkins
04-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Brandon Knight, Ray Mccalum, Trey Zeigler

Osiagledknarf
04-13-2010, 11:13 PM

I think Ketucky fans will have a very very good day.. They are in on Knight and Gilchrist and both have been rumored to have very high intrest in Ketucky... I really don't think there is much competition from anyone for him... Knight has been rumored to be going there for months, and has come out and raved about the Ketucky Program.. I think the Wildcats own tomorrow.

Duvall
04-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I think the Wildcats own tomorrow.

Then I guess there's nothing to do but congratulate them on another Offseason Championship.

Back-to-back!

DukieTiger
04-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Too bad their one-year rentals won't get to play together. Gilchrist is '11 obviously. There's more to successful recruiting than just signing the top recruits. You have to keep some of them and build around them at some point.

NYC Duke Fan
04-14-2010, 03:46 AM

Zeigler is going to play for his father at Central Michigan.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-14-2010, 07:19 AM
I think Ketucky fans will have a very very good day.. They are in on Knight and Gilchrist and both have been rumored to have very high intrest in Ketucky... I really don't think there is much competition from anyone for him... Knight has been rumored to be going there for months, and has come out and raved about the Ketucky Program.. I think the Wildcats own tomorrow.

Or Kansas

licc85
04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
back to 2011 for a second, I hear we are going hard after amir williams now, in addition to tyler adams. Here's my question: Why aren't we going harder after marshall plumlee???? He's a better player than both of those other guys in my opinion, and we already have a HUGE recruiting advantage over any other school for his services. He's a legitimate 7 footer . . . and has the athleticism of a plumlee, how can we not be trying to secure his commitment asap?

Huh?
04-15-2010, 03:59 PM
It may be because he has said without actually saying that he is going to attend another university. Who knows? I'll never question K.

roywhite
04-15-2010, 04:03 PM
back to 2011 for a second, I hear we are going hard after amir williams now, in addition to tyler adams. Here's my question: Why aren't we going harder after marshall plumlee???? He's a better player than both of those other guys in my opinion, and we already have a HUGE recruiting advantage over any other school for his services. He's a legitimate 7 footer . . . and has the athleticism of a plumlee, how can we not be trying to secure his commitment asap?

I'm not an insider, and I'm not sure even an insider would give you a complete answer on that question.

I'll trust Coach K and his staff to handle this in a professional, sensitive way since they:
Want to get a good big player for 2011
Care very much about Miles, Mason, and the Plumlee family.

BD80
04-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Maybe someone in the program has talked to Marshall or to someone in Marshall's family, and the staff is operating with the enlightenment of inside information.

MY OPINION is that this is another type of discussion that could lead to attacks on potential recruits (ie "recruit A can't score in the post like recruit B," which leads to a reply of "B is far more athletic than A"). Too much that can lead to bad publicity. Find someone interested in the debate and PM him/her.

licc85
04-15-2010, 05:05 PM
well, I did say that was only my opinion, and I'm fine with anybody's else's take on it. However, I would like to point out that scout.com and rivals.com both have him ranked higher than williams and adams, and the reason I'm bringing this up is because I think the recruitment of other big men is what is turning him off towards duke.

jimsumner
04-15-2010, 05:33 PM
"and the reason I'm bringing this up is because I think the recruitment of other big men is what is turning him off towards duke."

I believe you're confusing cause and effect in this case.

licc85
04-15-2010, 06:30 PM
"and the reason I'm bringing this up is because I think the recruitment of other big men is what is turning him off towards duke."

I believe you're confusing cause and effect in this case.

no, actually, this is directly from Blue Devil Insider:

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/2011-recruiting-update-rivers-adams-miller-plumlee/

also, he's not really an offensive type of player in the vein of mason, but he is a rebounding machine and blocks a ridiculous number of shots. He could be a zoubek type role player in college with a focus on rebounding and defense.

I guess I am kind of second guessing the Duke coaching staff here, but it's not like they haven't made mistakes before. However, I do trust their judgment, I just hope it all works out for the best.

mph
04-15-2010, 07:16 PM
no, actually, this is directly from Blue Devil Insider:

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/2011-recruiting-update-rivers-adams-miller-plumlee/

also, he's not really an offensive type of player in the vein of mason, but he is a rebounding machine and blocks a ridiculous number of shots. He could be a zoubek type role player in college with a focus on rebounding and defense.

I guess I am kind of second guessing the Duke coaching staff here, but it's not like they haven't made mistakes before. However, I do trust their judgment, I just hope it all works out for the best.

The article doesn't say whether the relationship with Marshall has cooled because we're recruiting Adams or whether were recruiting Adams because the relationship with Marshall cooled. Besides, who you gonna' believe, BDI or Jim?:)

The relationship between Duke and Plumlee seems to have cooled a bit in recent months. There has been less contact between the two sides and the Plumlee family is aware that Tyler Adams is a major target for Duke in 2011.

Bo_Spice
04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I really hope we can land Amir Williams and Tyler Adams, two guys who's bodytypes fit the mold of former great Duke big men. While I love the Plumlee's I'd rather get Williams, Adams, and O'Bryant (2 of the 3), over Marshall because to be quiet honest 7'0 195 sounds to soft too me. Rivers, Adams, Gbinje, and either Williams or O'Bryant would be an absolutely amazing recruiting class.

mattman91
04-15-2010, 08:55 PM
id love to have a big guy who can POST UP. havent had one sicnce the landlord... is adams really the man? from his videos amir did not impress me. i havent found any videos on adams...does anyone have a link?

licc85
04-15-2010, 09:40 PM
id love to have a big guy who can POST UP. havent had one sicnce the landlord... is adams really the man? from his videos amir did not impress me. i havent found any videos on adams...does anyone have a link?

i mean . . wow, I hope he's improved alot from the game in this video, he just wasn't that impressive to me. He had a few blocks, but everyone in this game was like a foot shorter than him. I love the fact that he got a slow motion replay on a dunk over a 5'10 guy. I'd also like to see him get more fired up on big plays, he seem to just go through the motions. He's ranked pretty highly on scout, inc., and the Duke staff has to see something they like, so I dunno, maybe that was an old game and he's gotten alot better since then.

verga
04-15-2010, 11:56 PM
perhaps Marshall Plumlee has let it be known that he would prefer to play at some other university. Perhaps Adams & Williams are both better than Marshall. Perhaps K has seen all of these players and in his wisdom, has moved on from Marshall. Or perhaps he's leaving Marshall alone, letting him think about what he really wants in regards to college And the final perhaps, perhaps none of the above mentioned players ever arrive on campus, to suit up for the Blue Devils?

ricks68
04-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Are some of us forgetting that "family" is the core of Duke Basketball? I would bet that if Marshall would like to come to Duke, there would be a place for him.;) All the rest, I think, is just speculation.

ricks

airowe
04-16-2010, 08:28 AM

i mean . . wow, I hope he's improved alot from the game in this video, he just wasn't that impressive to me. He had a few blocks, but everyone in this game was like a foot shorter than him. I love the fact that he got a slow motion replay on a dunk over a 5'10 guy. I'd also like to see him get more fired up on big plays, he seem to just go through the motions. He's ranked pretty highly on scout, inc., and the Duke staff has to see something they like, so I dunno, maybe that was an old game and he's gotten alot better since then.

Luckily for us, the Duke coaching staff does not make recruiting decisions based on one YouTube video.

CDu
04-16-2010, 08:30 AM

I think there are three issues here:
1. we don't know whether or not Marshall Plumlee is a better option than Adams or Williams. We can only speculate at this point.
2. we don't know whether or not Marshall Plumlee is a better fit for what the team wants to do moving forward, even if he is a more talented player.
3. we don't know that we have a huge recruiting advantage for Marshall. Maybe he prefers to blaze his own trail. If that's the case, then I'd say we actually have a huge DISadvantage in recruiting him.

I'm sure that the staff has had plenty of information on Marshall, and they are in a good position to have a feel for their chances with him. The lack of heavy recruitment by Duke at the moment may be evidence of (a) him not being interested in Duke, (b) Duke thinking others fit better, or (c) Duke just giving him space to figure out what he wants to do on his own before putting on the heavy recruiting pitch.

But I can't imagine that Duke is merely "dropping the ball" on this kid.

budwom
04-16-2010, 08:47 AM
I think there are three issues here:
1. we don't know whether or not Marshall Plumlee is a better option than Adams or Williams. We can only speculate at this point.
2. we don't know whether or not Marshall Plumlee is a better fit for what the team wants to do moving forward, even if he is a more talented player.
3. we don't know that we have a huge recruiting advantage for Marshall. Maybe he prefers to blaze his own trail. If that's the case, then I'd say we actually have a huge DISadvantage in recruiting him.

I'm sure that the staff has had plenty of information on Marshall, and they are in a good position to have a feel for their chances with him. The lack of heavy recruitment by Duke at the moment may be evidence of (a) him not being interested in Duke, (b) Duke thinking others fit better, or (c) Duke just giving him space to figure out what he wants to do on his own before putting on the heavy recruiting pitch.

But I can't imagine that Duke is merely "dropping the ball" on this kid.

The original premise (that we are going hard after Amir Williams) is not correct. He is being evaluated. We might end up making him an offer. Or not. Too soon to say.

CDu
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
The original premise (that we are going hard after Amir Williams) is not correct. He is being evaluated. We might end up making him an offer. Or not. Too soon to say.

Yeah, I'm not making any assumptions about whom we're recruiting hard or not. I'm just saying that there are plenty of reasons why we may or may not be recruiting Marshall Plumlee very hard at the moment other than merely dropping the ball on him.

soccerstud2210
04-16-2010, 09:00 AM

are we also evaluating Johnny O'Bryant as well? he did say he had an offer from us, but many ppl were saying that this was not true.

any idea of where or where we do not, stand with O'Bryant?

CrazieDUMB
04-16-2010, 09:03 AM
When watching that video of Amir Williams, I have to admit I didn't see it the first time. The overall level of basketball looked very clumsy, and it seemed like he should have been doing better considering he had a foot on everyone else.

Then I remembered I'm watching a 17 (or maybe a 16) yr old player. The guy is probably still growing, and in terms of specialized training in basketball he's barely started. After another viewing I realized that he's much smoother than everyone else, and has a good level of athleticism for making passes and keeping his balance.

I guess my point is that this early in the game, going after legit teenagers, the key is looking at upside. If Duke's staff is interested, I'm interested.

airowe
04-16-2010, 09:12 AM
are we also evaluating Johnny O'Bryant as well? he did say he had an offer from us, but many ppl were saying that this was not true.

any idea of where or where we do not, stand with O'Bryant?

We are evaluating O'Bryant as well but he does not have an offer.

soccerstud2210
04-16-2010, 09:23 AM
We are evaluating O'Bryant as well but he does not have an offer.

thanks airowe. i thought i remembered someone saying that Adams? and O'Bryant wanted to play together and could possibly be a package type deal??

airowe
04-16-2010, 10:07 AM
thanks airowe. i thought i remembered someone saying that Adams? and O'Bryant wanted to play together and could possibly be a package type deal??

They play together now so I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed doing so in college. At this time, they have different schools at the tops of their lists.

rotogod00
04-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Jerry Meyer at Rivals take on any impact Gilchrist's commitment to KY will have on Miller:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1074914

sagegrouse
04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I have read the last several pages of this thread, and I am having a little trouble summarizing our recruiting for 2011. It must be the giddy feeling a picked up in Indianapolis.

Would someone correct the following list?

Committed:
Michael Gbinije

Offered:
Austin Rivers
Tyler Adams
Marshal Plumlee
Quincy Miller

Others Being Recruited:
Amir Williams
Johnny O'Bryant

Who else?

sagegrouse

roywhite
04-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I have read the last several pages of this thread, and I am having a little trouble summarizing our recruiting for 2011. It must be the giddy feeling a picked up in Indianapolis.

Would someone correct the following list?

Committed:
Michael Gbinije

Offered:
Austin Rivers
Tyler Adams
Marshal Plumlee
Quincy Miller

Others Being Recruited:
Amir Williams
Johnny O'Bryant

Who else?

sagegrouse

I think that pretty well covers it.

I see Quinn Cook also on some Duke lists, but don't believe there's been an offer made. Cook is a PG from DeMatha High School, and apparently on a friendly basis with Hairston, Thornton, and Irving.

hedevil
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Could someone help me out with this? Obviously we would like to land all of our targets, however, that is unlikely. Would we be better off with Rivers or Miller in 2011? Assuming Kyrie stays, and because we have Curry and Thornton, does that mean we could afford to miss on Rivers, or can we afford to miss Miller because we have Felix and Hairston? Which recruit should I be crossing my fingers for the most? I hope we get both, but who is the more crucial recruit for DUKE basketball?

rotogod00
04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Could someone help me out with this? Obviously we would like to land all of our targets, however, that is unlikely. Would we be better off with Rivers or Miller in 2011? Assuming Kyrie stays, and because we have Curry and Thornton, does that mean we could afford to miss on Rivers, or can we afford to miss Miller because we have Felix and Hairston? Which recruit should I be crossing my fingers for the most? I hope we get both, but who is the more crucial recruit for DUKE basketball?

don't forget dawkins. if irving stays 2 years, would have 5 guys at the 1 and 2 positions (irving, rivers, dawkins, curry, thornton). although obviously you can slide one of them up to the 3 and play three guards.

Saratoga2
04-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Rivers could play 2 or 3 and has the handle to play 1. What a great addition he would be. With the pick up of so many high NBA draft picks though, we would need to consider the heavy exodus from the team. Good problem to have though.