PDA

View Full Version : Duke on TV out west?

azdevil
08-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Just moved to AZ a few months ago and was wondering how much Duke is on TV here. I am from VA and I was able to see practically every game on TV. Just wondering how much that is going to change. Thanks for the help.

sagegrouse
08-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Just moved to AZ a few months ago and was wondering how much Duke is on TV here. I am from VA and I was able to see practically every game on TV. Just wondering how much that is going to change. Thanks for the help.

I am in Colorado and view the games via DirecTV (cable not available at my mountain address).

There are 30 games listed as telecast (only Radford is dark). Here is the breakdown and my experience in past years:

20 are on ESPN et al. (1 on ESPN-U). These are all national games and all available. The major problem is when Duke is the second game (7 times). The first game is rarely over at 9AM, and outside of NC and environs, ESPN does not leave the first game. So, the game is joined "in progress." And I remember a double OT game that killed the entire first half.

6 are on Fox networks (FSN or FSS). I have not had trouble getting Fox games on one of the many regional channels.

One is Raycom. Should be available on ESPN FullCourt (via DirecTV). Raycom, however, is not above claiming regional privileges 1500 miles away.

Three are on CBS. Big potential problem. Often, CBS has regional games, and the Denver local station (mindlessly) would rather show a Big 12 game between Texas Tech and Baylor, for which there is "zero" local interest, than Duke-Maryland. Now CBS has alternate feeds, which are often (but not always) available around station 615 on DirecTV. I am friendly with CBS announcer Verne Lundquist, who lives here. Even his wife can't get his games when it is not featured in this region.

BTW, ABC is just as bad but usually, usually the out-of-region game is shown on ESPN Full Court.

sagegrouse

Azdukefan
08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Welcome to the valley of the sun! In terms of viewing experience, plan on seeing most of the games and actually at a better time as watching games on the left coast don't require that you stay up until the next day. I saw all but two games last year (the regional games on CBS didn't even affect us). Fyi if you see a car with AZ plates of CAMCRZY, you have found me! Duke 4 Life!

Bob Green
08-31-2009, 05:02 AM
I live so far West that I'm in the East, but I still watch Duke all the time. TV coverage is kind to Duke fans.

moonpie23
08-31-2009, 10:34 AM

you might want to get a buddy back home in the triangle to set you up on a slingbox on one of their extra boxes.

Azdukefan
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Someone help me understand Slingbox. Is it worth the money and how well does it work?

Indoor66
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Someone help me understand Slingbox. Is it worth the money and how well does it work?

Check it out: http://www.slingmedia.com/

and http://www.slingmedia.com/go/help-me-choose

3rd Dukie
08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
I am in Colorado and view the games via DirecTV (cable not available at my mountain address).

There are 30 games listed as telecast (only Radford is dark). Here is the breakdown and my experience in past years:

20 are on ESPN et al. (1 on ESPN-U). These are all national games and all available. The major problem is when Duke is the second game (7 times). The first game is rarely over at 9AM, and outside of NC and environs, ESPN does not leave the first game. So, the game is joined "in progress." And I remember a double OT game that killed the entire first half.

6 are on Fox networks (FSN or FSS). I have not had trouble getting Fox games on one of the many regional channels.

One is Raycom. Should be available on ESPN FullCourt (via DirecTV). Raycom, however, is not above claiming regional privileges 1500 miles away.

Three are on CBS. Big potential problem. Often, CBS has regional games, and the Denver local station (mindlessly) would rather show a Big 12 game between Texas Tech and Baylor, for which there is "zero" local interest, than Duke-Maryland. Now CBS has alternate feeds, which are often (but not always) available around station 615 on DirecTV. I am friendly with CBS announcer Verne Lundquist, who lives here. Even his wife can't get his games when it is not featured in this region.

BTW, ABC is just as bad but usually, usually the out-of-region game is shown on ESPN Full Court.

sagegrouse

Sage,

I am in the CO mountains as well (Red Feather Lakes). I finally just decided to subscribe to ESPN Full Court via DirecTV and be done with it.
Thanks for the breakdown.
BTW, for anyone interested in Full Court, my recollection is that the price drops about in half sometime in January.

Tim

Bluedog
08-31-2009, 01:02 PM

Don't get me wrong. I love slingbox in general. For sitcoms, TV show dramas, etc. it works great. But for high speed sports, it's not the best. Unless you have an amazing internet connection, it has moments where it just skips, buffers, misses a moment, etc. It certainly is better than nothing, but I don't think watching the game via slingbox is much better than streaming it via numerous internet sites that I probably am not allowed to mention here, but are easy to find. I have found the best online streaming to be Raycom, actually. There is limited buffering and the quality is great. Obviously, Raycom doesn't cover that many games though. ESPN360 is next, and the other sites are hit and miss. If you want a fairly easy solution that will make it so you don't have to worry and search for the games, then Slingbox is a good choice. But you'll be able to watch the vast majority of the games at your location since they're nationally available, so it's only for like 8 games or so where you might have to sweat it out/find alternate avenues.

azdevil
08-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I know that Duke gets a lot of attention nationally, but I wasn't sure exactly how much.

UrinalCake
08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't think watching the game via slingbox is much better than streaming it via numerous internet sites that I probably am not allowed to mention here..

Could you PM me the names of some of these sites? Ones I've tried in the past have been very hit-and-miss and mostly miss. One site literally showed a feed from a guy's webcam which he had pointed at a television that was showing the game. Most of the time I can't get a feed at all.

I know this question comes up every year but are there any paid sites where I can get a live internet feed? ESPN360 is not carried by my ISP.

moonpie23
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love slingbox in general. For sitcoms, TV show dramas, etc. it works great. But for high speed sports, it's not the best. Unless you have an amazing internet connection, it has moments where it just skips, buffers, misses a moment, etc. It certainly is better than nothing, but I don't think watching the game via slingbox is much better than streaming it via numerous internet sites that I probably am not allowed to mention here, but are easy to find. I have found the best online streaming to be Raycom, actually. There is limited buffering and the quality is great. Obviously, Raycom doesn't cover that many games though. ESPN360 is next, and the other sites are hit and miss. If you want a fairly easy solution that will make it so you don't have to worry and search for the games, then Slingbox is a good choice. But you'll be able to watch the vast majority of the games at your location since they're nationally available, so it's only for like 8 games or so where you might have to sweat it out/find alternate avenues.

it DOES depend on your connection....but more so at the UPLOAD from your home rather than the download where you are.

i used to have the regular Road Runner at home (the upload) and it was about 486KB.....not even half a meg.....and it didn't matter if i had a fast download, but it was fine for watching a game.....it would skip or stall every once in a while, but certainly adequate for watching a game..

now i've got Uverse at home with the 1.5 mb UPLOAD and my slingboox rocks like regular TV...(watching it now while in waiting room at Duke Childrens Hosp) only have the 10mb download here, but it's like regular TV..

85devil
08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I just switched from Comcast to Direct TV. I could always get the Sunday FSN games with Comcast (but not in HD). Does Direct TV broadcast these FSN games in all markets ( I am in NM and have access to FSN HD Rocky Mountain)? How many additional games do you get with ESPN fullcourt that you do not get with DTV alone?

Jim3k
08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Sage,

I am in the CO mountains as well (Red Feather Lakes). I finally just decided to subscribe to ESPN Full Court via DirecTV and be done with it.
Thanks for the breakdown.
BTW, for anyone interested in Full Court, my recollection is that the price drops about in half sometime in January.

Tim

As a former Colorado kid (mid-50's, so far from recent) I am impressed. You live in a remote area at an altitude of nearly 8000 ft with a climate which is decent in the summer, but extremely bitter in the winter. Closest town is Ft. Collins -- at least an hour away -- via mountain (county road) driving.

You (seriously) deserve some kind of medal. :)

sagegrouse
08-31-2009, 06:01 PM
I just switched from Comcast to Direct TV. I could always get the Sunday FSN games with Comcast (but not in HD). Does Direct TV broadcast these FSN games in all markets ( I am in NM and have access to FSN HD Rocky Mountain)? How many additional games do you get with ESPN fullcourt that you do not get with DTV alone?

My memory is a bit hazy, so you should see the schedule before you pay the piper.

Forget Fox Sports games -- they're the enemy of ESPN.

You should get the Raycom, Big Ten, Big 12 and other local telecasts.

sagegrouse