PDA

View Full Version : DBR Mock Draft discussion

JasonEvans
04-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Are we going to resurrect the DBR NBA Mock Draft this year?

("we" meaning "you", Jason)

Yes, I'd like to do it again. I think the new posting format and traffic on the boards could certainly support it.

Question-- did folks like the poll method of drafting last year where all of us made the pick or should we go back to having people who are assigned GMs for each team?

I am leaning toward going with GMs-- I think it creates more random fun.

-Jason "post thoughts and suggestions please" Evans

powellhill1981
04-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Long-time listener: first time caller.
Think the GM idea works better

wilson
04-22-2007, 09:32 AM
If we're assigning DBR members as GM's, I want the Hawks.

Swing man, here I come!

throatybeard
04-22-2007, 09:42 PM
I was really surprised last year at the low participation in the voting last year. You'd think that would have increased participation.

GMs is probably the way to go.

JasonEvans
04-22-2007, 11:07 PM
If we're assigning DBR members as GM's, I want the Hawks.

Swing man, here I come!

I run the thing.
I get the Hawks.

Sorry dude.

And I'll be sure to draft Jeff Green, Corey Brewer, Julian Wright, or Al Thornton with the Hawks pick :D

--Jason "actually, we will pick GMs in a seperate thread on a first-come, first-served basis when the time comes-- if we go the GM route, which it appears we will" Evans

Channing
04-22-2007, 11:32 PM
I run the thing.
I get the Hawks.

Sorry dude.

And I'll be sure to draft Jeff Green, Corey Brewer, Julian Wright, or Al Thornton with the Hawks pick :D

--Jason "actually, we will pick GMs in a seperate thread on a first-come, first-served basis when the time comes-- if we go the GM route, which it appears we will" Evans

Can I be your assistant GM? In all seriousness, if hte hawks dont choose Acie Law with the Pacers pick (assuming he is still on the board) i am going to throw a temper tantrum

ikiru36
04-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Can I be your assistant GM? In all seriousness, if hte hawks dont choose Acie Law with the Pacers pick (assuming he is still on the board) i am going to throw a temper tantrum

I'm still hoping they pick Ty Lawson.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wilson
04-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I run the thing.
I get the Hawks.

Sorry dude.

It's OK Jason. As long as you adhere to authenticity and screw the pick up royally, I'm happy to cede the Hawks' GM position to you.

throatybeard
04-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Two words: Dallas Comegys.

JasonEvans
04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Two words: Dallas Comegys.

I see your Dallas Comegys and raise you a Cal Bowdler and Preist Lauderdale.

I need to go look up the Hawks draft picks for the past decade and a half to really play this game. Its a sad and pathetic game though.

-Jason "even when the Hawks get it right, like Borris Diaw or Jason Terry, the guy usually goes on to have his best years elsewhere" Evans

Channing
04-23-2007, 09:40 AM
How about the 1999 draft. 4 first round picks, and Jason Terry, Cal Bowdler, Dion Glover, and Jumaine Jones to show for it. Granted it was a weak draft, but still.

Nothing beats 1985 though, drafting Jon "Contract" Koncak with the following players still on the board:

Karl Malone
Joe Dumars
Chris Mullen
heck even Detlef Schrempf.

wilson
04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Let's not forget 1992: Adam Keefe over Robert Horry (to be fair though, another weak draft).

JasonEvans
04-23-2007, 09:50 AM
1985- 5th pick in the draft Jon Koncak. Again, that was with the 5th pick in the draft.

1986- 19th pick in 1st round and they get Billy Thompson. The next ten guys to go in the draft were perhaps the best collection of late-first, early-second round talent ever. It includes Scott Skiles, Mark Price, Dennis Rodman, Nate McMillan, Johnny Newman, and Arvidas Sabonis.

1987- Dallas Comegys with #21. Reggie Lewis (an All-star for the Celtics before dying too young) and Cadillac Anderson (a very nice late round pick who was a part-time starter for several teams) were taken with the next 2 picks.

1988- no pick in 1st round. This was a good year for the Hawks because it allowed them to not make a boneheaded pick.

1989- Roy Marble with the 23rd pick. Vlade Divac went 2 picks later. Sherman Douglas jsut a pick or two after that.

-Jason "more-- so much more-- later" Evans

wilson
04-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Sifting through old draft rosters really highlights what a crapshoot early entry has made of the process (and that's to say nothing of the foreign invasion). For instance, in that 1999 draft wherein they had 4 picks, the Hawks took Dion Glover, Cal Bowdler, and Jumaine Jones in the first round (?!?!?!). Their on solid pick in that draft, Jason "don't call me Evans" Terry, was summarily traded after about two seasons. Also, literally every team in the league passed over a guy named "Emmanuel Ginobili," whom the Spurs picked with the next-to-last pick of the whole shebang.

Ginobili was selected after such luminaries as Frederic Weis, Vonteego Cummings, Louis Bullock, and Venson Hamilton.

JasonEvans
04-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I agree that the NBA draft is a crapshoot and it is easy to find really bad mistakes made every year.

But when a team consistently makes mistakes EVERY YEAR it becomes less about the "crapshoot" and more about the team being totally clueless.

I need to do some research again to back this up, but I think the only really good draft move the Hawks have made in the past 2 decades was taking Josh Smith in the middle of the 1st round a few years ago.

Of course, that was the same draft where they passed on Luol Deng to take Josh Childress-- a move not a single other GM in all of basketball would have made (most folks were stunned Deng was still on the board when the Hawks took Childress), so even though they got a steal in Smith, they really messed up earlier in the draft when they did not grab Deng.

Also worth noting that the Hawks really only took Josh because he was a local kid and they thought they might sell some tickets to his family and friends. The fact that he turned out to be a jumping freak of nature was a total shock to the ever-clueless Hawks.

-Jason "every time I think about the Hawks taking Childress instead of Deng, I throw up a little bit in my mouth" Evans

phaedrus
04-23-2007, 05:49 PM
sure, deng would have been a great pick, but maybe they passed on him because they didn't want another lanky, 6'9ish guard/forward on the roster.

hence childress was an obvious choice.

SilkyJ
04-23-2007, 10:59 PM
sure, deng would have been a great pick, but maybe they passed on him because they didn't want another lanky, 6'9ish guard/forward on the roster.

hence childress was an obvious choice.

its funny because even though we wouldnt call shelden lanky, he's 6'9" too. its like its an inside joke over there or something.

Channing
04-23-2007, 11:09 PM
not only did they take Childress over Deng, but in the second round they took Royal Ivey over Duhon despite the fact that Duhon was a proven point guard who had owned Ivey in their matchup. That also infuriated me.

So sum up the hawks drafting history: The one #1 overall pick they have had they drafted David Thompson in 1975, who was so repulsed by the thought of playing for the hawks he signed with the ABA. OK I made up the part about being repulsed but it nicely sums up the Hawks draft success.

Exiled_Devil
04-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I'll chime in with another vote for the GM version - I didn't do the poll much, but I think that it would be more fun to have individuals working thier picks than us voting for hte picks

When would we run the mock draft?

Exiled