PDA

View Full Version : Gillispie's arrest

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I looked at the article referenced by the front page...nothing too exciting except it involves an ex Kentucky coach. What did catch my attention was this...
"Police say they arrested Gillespie at 2:47 a.m. along a highway in Lawrenceburg about 30 miles from Lexington, where Gillispie coached the Wildcats until he was fired in March. Charles F. O'Connor, a passenger in the car, also was arrested on a charge of alcohol intoxication in a public place."
HUH!? Well unless Gillispie drove his car into a building, of course he was in public, but that charge is beyond rediculous. Hell, he was just sitting there in the passenger seat. I'm guessing there is more to it, like he talked smack to the cops, but even so it should be a different charge.

http://www.thesunblog.com/frosting/Ron_White1200426767temp.jpg

"I was like, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I was drunk in a bar! They, threw me into public-K! I don't want to be drunk in public! I wanna be drunk in a bar, which is perfectly legal!"---Ron White

4decadedukie
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
...nothing too exciting except it involves an ex Kentucky coach.

I am increasingly distressed with implied tolerance for any sort of illegal or inappropriate behavior by public figures (some might say, celebrities) who -- by definition -- are role models. I realize this clearly means that public figures/celebrities, of all sorts, should pragmatically held to higher standards of integrity and personal comportment than “mere mortals.” However, in my opinion, that is part of the price of celebrity, they are very well compensated (financially and in many other ways) for their “inconvenience” and they should understand this requirement before they become prominent. Leadership by example is the most potent type of motivation, especially for relatively younger individuals. When our youth repeatedly observe well-known public figures misbehaving, they begin to believe that similar misconduct is -- somehow -- both acceptable and perhaps even expected.

Got_Duke
08-28-2009, 02:13 PM
"When our youth repeatedly observe well-known public figures misbehaving, they begin to believe that similar misconduct is -- somehow -- both acceptable and perhaps even expected."

Well our youth should know the difference between right and wrong, and that starts at the home. Personal accountability can never be learned at too young an age. Someone who is say 12 and up and understands issues like these should know that just because a celebrity does it doesn't mean it's right or acceptable for them to do it. They should also know that it is to be expected of a lot of celebrities... just not of them.

So don't blame the celebrities. They are grown individuals and make their own choices. Our youth should be smart enough and raised well enough to know the difference b/w right and wrong.

allenmurray
08-28-2009, 02:21 PM
"When our youth repeatedly observe well-known public figures misbehaving, they begin to believe that similar misconduct is -- somehow -- both acceptable and perhaps even expected."

Well our youth should know the difference between right and wrong, and that starts at the home. Personal accountability can never be learned at too young an age. Someone who is say 12 and up and understands issues like these should know that just because a celebrity does it doesn't mean it's right or acceptable for them to do it. They should also know that it is to be expected of a lot of celebrities... just not of them.

So don't blame the celebrities. They are grown individuals and make their own choices. Our youth should be smart enough and raised well enough to know the difference b/w right and wrong.

I don't disagree with what your basic point, but when a university hires a coach, and pays him millions of dollars, his job is to do more than to just win games. He becomes the public face of the university.

I have no idea of your age. I have three children, one grown, through college and married, one in high school and one in elementary school. I certainly hope that my values and behavior have far higher impact on them than any celebrities they see on television. But having someone who works with college students for a living arrested three times for DUI doesn't make the job of parenting any easier. Him being called out for that behavior certainly is appropriate, just as it would be for any celebrity. Without expecting them to be the ones who influence my children's choices I will always reserve the right to show honor and respect to celebrities who make good choices, and call those who act like idiots on their behavior. That too is part of being a good parent.

Got_Duke
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes celebrities should be called out on it and they should be blamed for doing the actions they themselves did. My whole point is that those who are old enough to know what it means to be personally accountable (right and wrong) can't go out and do the same things celebrities do and then justify their actions by saying "hey this celebrity did it." Don't justify one's own actions with those of celebrities. In that sense, you can't blame celebrities for one's own mistakes just because you saw that a celebrity made bad decisions.

Gillespie should be away from college basketball and not allowed to coach again. It's not like this is his first incident. Some of these kids are away from home for the first time and if they are on the basketball team, the majority of their time is spent with the team and coach. He is a bad influence, yes, but those students should also know what's right and wrong, regardless of what their coach does.

Gillespie sucks.