PDA

View Full Version : 09-10 MBB Schedule early speculation

DukieBoy
06-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Never too early. The front page got me eager.

I know we play Findlay and Georgetown. Plus Wisconsin at Wisconsin and the ACC schedule. Any other non conference games of importance?

geraldsneighbor
06-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Davidson and at MSG to play Gonzaga

BulldogDancer81
06-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Davidson and at MSG to play Gonzaga

Ah I thought I had read that Duke was playing Gonzaga at MSG but then couldn't seem to be able to find anything to back up that claim. Glad to know I wasn't just making it up.

Duke is also one of the host schools for the NIT Tip-off. If we win the first two games then we would go on to MSG. The other host schools I believe are Arizona St., LSU, and UConn but the rest of the field hasn't been announced.

Azdukefan
06-19-2009, 08:38 PM
I am not sure if it has been solidified but does anyone have any idea when the holes go to Cameron next season? Thanks!

msdukie
06-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Saturday, March 6 - 9p ESPNHD (Dan Shulman, Dick Vitale - Erin Andrews) - Saturday Primetime

Some things don't have to be solidified.

Azdukefan
06-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Greatly appreciated!

tysi1521
06-20-2009, 12:35 AM
When will the complete schedule for next season be released?

geraldsneighbor
06-20-2009, 01:35 AM
3rd Friday in August.

gumbomoop
06-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Mine.

I know someone a month or so back briefly referred to this, but it got lost in the shuffle, so for general edification, please check out this 09-10 ACC master mbb schedule: http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/model-three-years

Whence cometh my paranoia? Well, I maintained several times back in Jan-Feb, as we were all predicting the final 09 ACC standings, that it was a dispiriting curiosity how we seemed perennially to have the thoughest ACC schedule. I was humorously chastised that we always had the easiest ACC schedule, never having to play Duke.

That is a serious as well as humorous point, but unless that single factor overcomes all others, and overcomes relative to all other teams' otherwise-easier schedules, we get the 2d-toughest schedule again next year, I think.

To wit: A few of us have posted on the "Draft Fallout" thread an early prediction for ACC standings at end of 09-10. It seems a near-consensus among the few posters so far that Miami, UVa, and NCState are most likely bottom-tier next year. Top tier is Duke-UNC, maybe-maybe GaTech.

So, under my reasonable [tell me otherwise if I'm way off base] forecast, you get a tough schedule the more you must play Duke, UNC, maybe GaTech, and an easier schedule the more you play NCS, UVa, Miami.

Guess what? Duke gets bothUNC and GaTech home and away, and none of the likely-bottom-tier H&A. [And Duke's other 3 H&A opponents are solid: BC, Clemson, Md.] UNC? Well, they get Duke and GaTech H&A, but..... UNC also gets NCS H&A. Ga Tech might arguably have the toughest schedule, as they get both Duke & UNC H&A, and none of the bottom tier H&A. So, that means GATech's challenge to Duke and UNC will not be easy for them.

And who gets all 3 of Miami, NCS, and UVa H&A? Ans: Wake. True, Wake also gets UNC and GaTech H&A, but that's more than "balanced" by their other 3 H&A opponents. Perhaps Wake deserves a break, given their untimely draft-departees.

I think I actually realize this is all truly luck of the draw, but if so it's surely fair to point out who's had the 1st-2d toughest "unbalanced mess" year in, year out. That would be Duke. Repeating the obvious: unbalanced mess.

ACCBBallFan
06-21-2009, 07:33 PM
gumbomoop - thanks for that link.

Rather than project this year' strength, if we went strictly by last year's ACC wins, an average score would be 128 and the most difficult would be:

148 - GA Tech who only won two and is always at a disadvantage before we adjust for improvement

131 - BC
130 - Clemson (plays GT twice and Jackets will be much better this year)
130 - UVA

129 - MD
128 - VA Tech
128 - NC St
126 - Miami

125 - Duke (plays GT twice and Jackets will be much better this year)
124 - UNC (plays GT twice and Jackets will be much better this year)
124 - FSU (plays GT twice and Jackets will be much better this year)

113 - Wake (plays GT twice and Jackets will be much better this year)

The one team I think everybody agrees will win much more than the 2 ACC games they won last year is GA Tech with addition of Favors, return of Lawal and maturity of Shumpert.

It so happens that the four teams at the bottom of schedule difficulty play GA Tech twice this year as does Clemson.

So it appears Wake does have by far the ACC unbalanced easiest schedule and that the toughest are GA Tech and Clemson

When I arbitrarily give GA Tech 8 ACC wins instead of two and keep everybody else the same except for lowering GA Tech degree of difficulty, the average score would then be 136 with Clemson the toughest, Wake the easiest, GA Tech the second toughest and Miami the second easiest and everybody else not advantaged or disadvantaged very much.

142 Clemson has the toughest ACC unbalanced schedule
139 GA Tech

137 Duke
137 BC

136 UNC
136 UVA
136 FSU

135 MD

134 VA Tech
134 NC ST

132 Miami
125 Wake by far the easiest unbalanced ACC Schedule

Since GA Tech and Clemson are perhaps the two teams best able to challenge Duke and UNC for top of ACC, it appears the big two will again prevail in top tier.

gumbomoop
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
When I arbitrarily give GA Tech 8 ACC wins instead of two and keep everybody else the same except for lowering GA Tech degree of difficulty, the average score would then be 136 with Clemson the toughest, Wake the easiest, GA Tech the second toughest and Miami the second easiest and everybody else not advantaged or disadvantaged very much.

142 Clemson has the toughest ACC unbalanced schedule
139 GA Tech

137 Duke
137 BC

136 UNC
136 UVA
136 FSU

135 MD

134 VA Tech
134 NC ST

132 Miami
125 Wake by far the easiest unbalanced ACC Schedule

Since GA Tech and Clemson are perhaps the two teams best able to challenge Duke and UNC for top of ACC, it appears the big two will again prevail in top tier.

Interesting stuff.

Your calculations seem to verify my sense that Wake gets big, big break. And it seems that UVa, likely still a bottom-tier team, doesn't get a break

But tell me, what would happen if you arbitrarily gave GaTech 9-10 wins? Would 10 Ws for GaTech change your calculations substantially? My speculation [from "Draft Fallout" thread]- and it's nothing more - was that GaTech was team most likely to edge near Duke-UNC top-tier, and I "gave" them 10 ACC wins.

ACCBBallFan
06-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Interesting stuff.

Your calculations seem to verify my sense that Wake gets big, big break. And it seems that UVa, likely still a bottom-tier team, doesn't get a break

But tell me, what would happen if you arbitrarily gave GaTech 9-10 wins? Would 10 Ws for GaTech change your calculations substantially? My speculation [from "Draft Fallout" thread]- and it's nothing more - was that GaTech was team most likely to edge near Duke-UNC top-tier, and I "gave" them 10 ACC wins.

It gets a little more subjective on how to rate GA Tech as I arbitrarily subtracted 11 (8 for the extra wins and 5/12ths of 8 for the teams they play twice which may be a double count but is not material as GA Tech would still be in the large group near the average).

Using 10 GA ACC wins, the average becomes 139, and Clemson gets even more disadvantaged, while Wake and Miami in that order still have the easiest unbalanced schedule.

Again UVA a bottom feeder gets no break and NC State and VA Tech who could surprise a few folks with two of their big 3 back, just not Vassallo, have a slightly easier task than the others who are all at the 139 average +/- 2.

This quantum leap for GA Tech virtually flips the original 2008-09 stats around since bottom 4 in difficulty all play GA Tech twice.

146 Clemson by far the toughest unbalanced ACC schedule

141 Duke
140 UNC
140 FSU
139 BC - average ACC unbalanced schedule
138 UVA
137 MD
137 GA Tech

136 VA Tech
136 NC ST

134 Miami quite easy unbalanced ACC schedule relative to everybody except Wake

129 Wake by far the easiest unbalanced ACC schedule

These metrics do support your original premise that Duke would have the second toughest ACC unbalanced schedule if GA Tech ascends as much as many folks are predicting.

Personally I think that is tough to do to improve 8 games with addition of just one guy, especially since this team has never shown an ability to win on the ACC road, and gets no break from unbalanced schedule.

Coach Paul Hewitt is better at attracting guys to Atlanta than getting them to play as a unit or stay.

gumbomoop
06-23-2009, 10:49 AM
These metrics do support your original premise that Duke would have the second toughest ACC unbalanced schedule if GA Tech ascends as much as many folks are predicting.

Personally I think that is tough to do to improve 8 games with addition of just one guy, especially since this team has never shown an ability to win on the ACC road, and gets no break from unbalanced schedule.

Coach Paul Hewitt is better at attracting guys to Atlanta than getting them to play as a unit or stay.

I appreciate any help I can get in deepening my paranoia. Said paranoia, along with a periodic futbol-induced respite from ACC bball fanaticism, keeps me sane.

Ga Tech is indeed a tough guess for next season, perhaps toughest in league, though pretty much all teams have major ?-marks. Really.

I'm no Hewitt fan, so he's probably one of Tech's biggest ?-marks. But as to talent, I was pretty impressed with Shumpert, esp by season's end. A bit less so with Lawal, but heck, he was a projected 1st-rounder had he remained in the draft, wasn't he? Favors certainly impressive, and I think Hewitt has a couple of other solid recruits, plus Bell returning from redshirt.
They're not quite so loaded as UK, but they're pretty loaded with good experience, and very promising frosh.

While you're definitely right to wonder just how big a jump they can make, it seems at least on paper that maybe they could emerge from what I call next year's "middle/muddle" tier to nab a solid 3d-place, possibly even challenge for 2d. If they fail to make big jump, Hewitt's in trouble.

Back to my original paranoid thought - that Duke gets screwed every year by the unbalanced mess - I think your metrics suggest I overstated just, but perhaps only just, a bit. The metrics do indicate that 1 or 2 teams benefit noticeably, and 1 or 2 are noticeably disadvantaged by this mess. We all sensed this intuitively; your numbers prove it.

Until another poster challenges your numbers, at which point I will revert to my default paranoia.

Wander
06-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Playing Iowa State in January in Chicago.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/15718315

TulsaFan
06-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Tulsa on February 25

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?subjectID=94&tab=tu&articleid=20090625_29_B1_Tlawla899708

duke2x
07-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Some updates:

1. Duke to play UNC-G at home on 11/13.

http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204762495&DB_OEM_ID=5300

2. Duke to play Gardner-Webb at home on 12/15.

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204763310&db_oem_id=10300

3. Duke to play Radford at home on 11/21.

http://www.ruhighlanders.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

4. Duke to play TBD on the afternoon of 12/31.

http://bti.sportshd.com/mens_schedule_board?tid_1=All&tid_2=2&university=Duke+University

In summary:
11/13 UNC-G
appx. 11/16 2 PNIT games (possibly Coastal Carolina & UNC-C)
11/21 Radford
11/25 & 27 PNIT Finals (with CT, LSU, AZ St.)
12/2 @WI
12/15 Gardner-Webb
12/31 TBD
1/6 v. ISU (Chicago)
2/25 Tulsa

Highly Likely Opponents: St. John's, @Georgetown, Davidson, Gonzaga at MSG (12/19).

speedevil2001
07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Saturday, March 6 - 9p ESPNHD (Dan Shulman, Dick Vitale - Erin Andrews) - Saturday Primetime

Some things don't have to be solidified.

msdukie: who is that picture of?

duke2x
07-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Add St. John's in Cameron on 12/5.

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070809aac.html

Also possibly add Long Beach State on 12/29, but this isn't confirmed per their prospectus.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lbst/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2009-10MBKProspectus.pdf

msdukie
07-20-2009, 11:32 PM
msdukie: who is that picture of?

Some of us have an endless fascination with him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Cota

roywhite
07-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Playing Iowa State in January in Chicago.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/15718315

To set up a game in Ames in 2011 or 2012 for Harrison Barnes to play in his home town?

COYS
07-21-2009, 02:06 AM

Also possibly add Long Beach State on 12/29, but this isn't confirmed per their prospectus.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lbst/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2009-10MBKProspectus.pdf

Does this mean we're not going to be playing an OOC game during our "off-day" in February?

ACCBBallFan
07-21-2009, 02:29 AM

either they are suicidal or Long Beach St must feel they are going to be pretty good this year as they loaded up vs Notre dame, Texas, UK and Duke and in the Anaheim tournament with (Butler, Clemson, LBSU, Minnesota, Portland, Texas A&M, UCLA, West Virginia)

TENTATIVE 2009-2010 LONG BEACH STATE MEN’S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE (Subject to change)
Date .............. Day Opponent.......................................... .................................................. ..Time
Nov. 14 ......... Saturday Alaska Anchorage .................................................. .............................4:05 pm
Nov. 17 ......... Tuesday at Pepperdine .................................................. .......................................7:00 pm
Nov. 19 ......... Thursday at Notre Dame .................................................. .....................................4:30 pm
Nov. 21 ......... Saturday at Green Bay............................................... ...........................................11:00 am
Nov. 26 ......... Thursday 76 Classic! (Anaheim, Calif.) .................................................. .............TBA
(Butler, Clemson, LBSU, Minnesota, Portland, Texas A&M, UCLA, West Virginia)
Nov. 27 ......... Friday 76 Classic! .................................................. ...........................................TBA
Nov. 29 ......... Sunday 76 Classic! .................................................. ...........................................TBA
Dec. 7 ........... Monday at Texas .................................................. ................................................TB A
Dec. 18 ......... Friday Utah State............................................. ................................................7: 05 pm
Dec. 21 ......... Monday at Loyola Marymount......................................... ...................................8:00 pm
Dec. 23 .........Wednesday at Kentucky .................................................. .........................................TBA
Dec. 29 ......... Tuesday at Duke .................................................. ................................................TB A

MulletMan
07-21-2009, 08:52 AM
either they are suicidal or Long Beach St must feel they are going to be pretty good this year as they loaded up vs Notre dame, Texas, UK and Duke and in the Anaheim tournament with (Butler, Clemson, LBSU, Minnesota, Portland, Texas A&M, UCLA, West Virginia)

Or thier athletic department is in need of money for new baseball uniforms.

mo.st.dukie
07-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Does this mean we're not going to be playing an OOC game during our "off-day" in February?

Or would that be the Tulsa game (2/25)?

HCheek37
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
A little less in-depth than the previous posters but still interesting to note that the three teams we do not visit next year in the ACC we are a combined 6-8 against since 2002-2003 on the road.

@ FSU since 02-03 3-3
@ VT since ACC induction 2-1
@ WF since 02-03 1-4

This compared with an overall record over those 7 years on the road in the ACC of 36-20 shows that no matter the strength of these teams, we might be catching a break.

jesus_hurley
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I thought there was talk for a H-A-N series with Memphis starting this year with the first game in Chicago? That way Scheyer would get a game in front of his friends and family.

Memphis Devil
07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I thought there was talk for a H-A-N series with Memphis starting this year with the first game in Chicago? That way Scheyer would get a game in front of his friends and family.

I know that Calipari was the one really beating this drum in the beginning as he was also trying to set up something with UNC as well. I can only assume the desire for this left with Cal. I would guess that we might see this revisited in the next year or two (a reunion with E-Will) if Memphis can hold up their end (continue to play high level basketball) with Coach Pastner.

COYS
07-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Or would that be the Tulsa game (2/25)?

I overlooked that, my bad. I saw St. Johns in Dec. and jumped the gun. I know that some people don't like that game because of the wear and tear on the players, but this past season, in particular, it helped to have a game like that to try something new and radical, like throw a freshman who had only played limited minutes thus far straight into the starting lineup and change point guards for the third time. I also enjoy the break ACC opponents and always look forward to the game, even if St. Johns has been a disappointing adversary recently.

ACCBBallFan
07-23-2009, 01:10 AM
February and March are always tough as Duke faces ACC teams for the second time right after they just palyed UNC.

Playing UNC coach K has to play all his cards, and opposing ocaches get to see what worked for UNC and what did not, not that they could necessarily replicate that without a Hansbrough and a Lawson.

works both ways though as Duke coaches have tape from first encounter too.

Tulsa will be a refreshing change of pace from a schedule in Feb-March that has UNC(2) - GA Tech, Clemson, and MD to perhaps stop any skid tht may be in process and to give team a look at type fo team they may face in first round.

Anthony Mason just got clearance to play ffth year for St John's after having to sit out last season.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-23-2009, 08:12 AM
at MSG to play Gonzaga
Is this our annual "home game" in mid/late December? Do we have a date yet? Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

ACCBBallFan
07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Is this our annual "home game" in mid/late December? Do we have a date yet? Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
I don't have the link but had this noted on my calendar

Gonzaga in MSG is confirmed by Andy Katz. Expected date is Saturday, December 19th.

Also, the Zags will host Wake Forest in the Kennel. Tough road game for the Demon Deacons. (no date specified in text I saved)

Dec 19 is the same day that UNC helps TX open the new TX Stadium and Michigan is at KU.

As I recall Davidson visits the Zags the Saturday before on Dec 12 , same day JT-3's G-town plays Lorenzo's Washington and MS St plays UCLA in Wooden Classic.

crimsonandblue
07-24-2009, 11:51 AM
I know that Calipari was the one really beating this drum in the beginning as he was also trying to set up something with UNC as well. I can only assume the desire for this left with Cal. I would guess that we might see this revisited in the next year or two (a reunion with E-Will) if Memphis can hold up their end (continue to play high level basketball) with Coach Pastner.

It was a done deal before Cal left, but Kansas is playing Memphis in St. Louis as part of a double-header with the second game being Arkansas - Louisville, I think. Should be less intrigue now that Cal's left, but playing in St. Louis will be nice, as it will hopefully give us experience in this year's midwest regional site.

And talk about silly scheduling. Kansas v. Duke on campus. Oops. It's football. I'll be fun, but nothing compared to what could be...

Azdukefan
07-24-2009, 12:17 PM
So are we getting that game with Memphis next year? I read all the posts and am still not sure. Sorry for being so slow!

Bay Area Duke Fan
07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Now that Sean Miller has left Xavier to coach at AZ (and Lute is gone), I wonder whether the Duke-AZ series will be renewed in the coming years.

This would be a great cross country match-up of two traditional basketball powers. I'd love to see it.

duke2x
07-25-2009, 09:09 AM
So are we getting that game with Memphis next year? I read all the posts and am still not sure. Sorry for being so slow!

It's highly unlikely, IMO. The neutral site game was supposed to be in Chicago, and we're now playing Iowa State there. We have one spot left on our non-conference schedule based on the above. I would be surprised if it isn't Davidson given that we've played every year from 1996/7 - present.

Assuming we will play 2 non-conference games a week, the only open Saturday in December is 12/19. 12/5 is St. John's, 12/12 is exams, and 12/26 is likely Christmas break.

Azdukefan
07-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Now that Sean Miller has left Xavier to coach at AZ (and Lute is gone), I wonder whether the Duke-AZ series will be renewed in the coming years.

This would be a great cross country match-up of two traditional basketball powers. I'd love to see it.

I read somewhere (can't quite remember where) that potentially we could play them in 2010/2011 in New Jersey or MSG and potentially make the return to the left coast (Staples potentially) for a return game in 2011/2012. Anyone have a link or heard anything?

The1Bluedevil
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Andy Katz's most recent Daily Word article says " Kentucky coach John Calipari would love his team to play Duke in a game in front of 40,000 or so fans at a venue like Atlanta's Georgia Dome, but he doesn't think Duke will go ahead with the proposal any time soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4359025&name=katz_andy

That sure would be fun to watch.

jesus_hurley
07-27-2009, 04:33 PM

As long as the refs know where the 3 point line is if we go to AZ! Everytime I see AZ's home floor all I can think about is Koubek hitting a 3 from about a foot behind the line and it getting counted as a 2. Then we lose in OT...

Stray Gator
07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Andy Katz's most recent Daily Word article says " Kentucky coach John Calipari would love his team to play Duke in a game in front of 40,000 or so fans at a venue like Atlanta's Georgia Dome, but he doesn't think Duke will go ahead with the proposal any time soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4359025&name=katz_andy

That sure would be fun to watch.

Of course, Calipari knows that rabid Kentucky fans would spend whatever it takes to scarf up all of those 40,000 seats that are not pre-allotted to Duke before the first Duke fan could pick up the phone or connect to the ticket office online. (Moreover, judging from the embarrassing prevalence of UNC fans in the Duke section during the ACC Tourney at the Georgia Dome last March, there are plenty of Iron Dukes who will shamelessly sell their seats to rival fans for the right price.)

jkidd31
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
As a Findlay alum I was crushed to see that game is on Tuesday. If it was on a w/e day I'd be coming down for sure. Might have to try to get tickets for the Chicago game.

duke2x
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Here's the tentative schedule from the Iron Dukes ticket brochure. The order of ACC games has usually been usually right.

Sat. 10/17 B-W Game
Sat. 10/24 Pfeiffer (exh.)
11/3 Findlay (exh.)
Fri. 11/13 UNC-G
11/16 C. Carolina (PNIT)
11/17 UNC-C or Elon (PNIT)
11/21 Radford
11/25-11/27 PNIT Finals (CT, LSU, ASU, Duke)
12/2 @ WI
12/5 St. John's
12/15 Gardner-Webb *
12/19 v. Gonzaga (MSG)
12/29 Long Beach St. *
12/31 Penn *

Sun. 1/3 Clemson *
Wed. 1/6 v. ISU (Chicago)
Sat/Sun. @GT
TWT BC
Sat/Sun. Wake
TWT @NCSU
Sat/Sun @Clemson
TWT FSU
Sat. 1/30 @Georgetown
TWT GT
Sat/Sun @BC
TWT @UNC-- this would be 2/9, 2/10, of 2/11 if you're counting down.
Sat/Sun MD
TWT @Miami
Sat/Sun VT
Thur. 2/25 Tulsa
Sat/Sun @UVA
TWT @MD
Sat/Sun UNC-- this would be 3/6 or 3/7

* Games with tickets for Iron Dukes.

ACCBBallFan
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks.

Interesting how the ACC unbalanced schedule is even more unbalanced.

Duke gets the three Home and Homes with Clemson, GA Tech and BC out of the way before ever meeting UNC or MD for the first of two each

Duke plays those 4 games @uNC, vs. MD, @ MD, vs. UNC Senior night in span from Feb 9 - March 7 but has a relatively easy schedule in between instead of the customary brutal February:

@ Miami, vs. VA Tech, vs. Tulsa, @ UVA from Feb 16-28.

The toughest stretch other than the two rivalry games seems to be Jan 23-Febr 4 where Duke is @ Clemson, vs. FSU, @ G-town and vs. GA Tech.

airowe
08-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Here's the tentative schedule from the Iron Dukes ticket brochure. The order of ACC games has usually been usually right.

Sat. 10/17 B-W Game
11/3 Findlay (exh.)
Fri. 11/13 UNC-G
11/16 C. Carolina (PNIT)
11/21 Radford
12/2 @ WI
12/5 St. John's
12/15 Gardner-Webb *
12/19 v. Gonzaga (MSG)
12/29 Long Beach St. *
12/31 Penn *

Sun. 1/3 Clemson *
Sat/Sun. @GT
TWT BC
Sat/Sun. Wake
TWT @NCSU
Sat/Sun @Clemson
TWT FSU
Sat. 1/30 @Georgetown
TWT GT
Sat/Sun @BC
Sat/Sun MD
TWT @Miami
Sat/Sun VT
Thur. 2/25 Tulsa
Sat/Sun @UVA
TWT @MD

That BC game in Februaru will either be on Saturday or Sunday during the day, as that is Super Bowl Sunday. I'd guess the @PUNC game after that would then be on Wednesday night as it has been recently. This would be a nice 4-5 day break to get ready for a hard-fought physical game between two big, strong rivals.

DU Band Prez 88
08-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Sat. 10/17 B-W Game
11/3 Findlay (exh.)
Fri. 11/13 UNC-G
11/16 C. Carolina (PNIT)
11/21 Radford
12/2 @ WI
12/5 St. John's
12/15 Gardner-Webb *
12/19 v. Gonzaga (MSG)
12/29 Long Beach St. *
12/31 Penn *

Sun. 1/3 Clemson *
Sat/Sun. @GT
TWT BC
Sat/Sun. Wake
TWT @NCSU
Sat/Sun @Clemson
TWT FSU
Sat. 1/30 @Georgetown
TWT GT
Sat/Sun @BC
Sat/Sun MD
TWT @Miami
Sat/Sun VT
Thur. 2/25 Tulsa
Sat/Sun @UVA
TWT @MD

1. ISU in Chicago - is this Iowa State? Illinois State?
2. Anyone know what was the last time Duke played Gardner-Webb, if ever; also, how we ended up scheduling this one?
3. I wonder, has Duke ever played Tulsa? From the little I have read, they are supposed to be a pretty good team this year.

jimsumner
08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Iowa State

Duke has never played Gardner-Webb.

Duke is 2-0 v. Tulsa, a win in Alaska in 11-96 and a 97-56 beatdown in the '99 NCAAs.

CMARTZ
08-06-2009, 01:20 PM
So we don't play UNC in cameron until March? How does tenting work when the game is that late?

Bluedog
08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
So we don't play UNC in cameron until March? How does tenting work when the game is that late?

It's that late every other year....So, clearly, they've worked something out in the past. ;) Blue tenting is just longer, and white tenting starts later.

CMARTZ
08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm as big a fan as the next guy (well, usually it appears), but I don't think I tent that long and deal with 3 lab sciences :(

Bluedog
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm as big a fan as the next guy (well, usually it appears), but I don't think I tent that long and deal with 3 lab sciences :(

Do white then. It's the same length (week and a half or so; not bad at all) no matter when the game is. If blue reaches its cap (50?) before white tenting starts, no new tent registrations are allowed until the commencement of the white tenting period. Unless they've changed the rules. But that's how it was just a couple years ago.

Ders24
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Do white then. It's the same length (week and a half or so; not bad at all) no matter when the game is. If blue reaches its cap (50?) before white tenting starts, no new tent registrations are allowed until the commencement of the white tenting period. Unless they've changed the rules. But that's how it was just a couple years ago.

I think the cap is 60. White tenting works, but another thing you can try, if you are really worried about the work load/time commitment (and since white registration is at the random location and no one is really guaranteed of getting a spot), is to keep an eye on the number of blue tents and try to get one of the last blue spots (you will likely only have a few days of blue tenting to deal with before white starts).

CMARTZ
08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm definitely going to give the white tenting rush another shot this year. Last year my group learned how difficult it can be without a single car :(
I'm pretty sure blue was full last year pretty early on, but if for some reason it isn't I'll try to swing in at the last minute.

Returning to the schedule-- it's unfortunate that we play Clemson in Cameron during winter break. I was really looking forward to watching our shot at redemption firsthand...

Olympic Fan
08-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Iowa State

Duke has never played Gardner-Webb.

Duke is 2-0 v. Tulsa, a win in Alaska in 11-96 and a 97-56 beatdown in the '99 NCAAs.

Just a small correction ... the 72-67 victory over Tulsa on Nov. 27, 1996 was in Madison Square Garden, not Alaska. It was the semifinals of the Preseason NIT ... Duke lost to Indiana on Nov. 29 in the finals when Andre Patterson destroyed Greg Newton in the middle.

I think you are confusing the New York trip in November of 1996 with the season-opening trip to Alaska in November of 1995 (the opening of the 1995-96 season). Duke beat Old Dominion, Indiana and Iowa in that event.

The 1999 beatdown of Tulsa was in Charlotte, the second step in Duke's impressive run to the NCAA title game.

So this will be Tulsa's first-ever visit to Cameron.

Indeed, this is the first meeting with Gardner Webb, which was a junior college until sometime in the 1970s. It was a two-year school when Artis Gilmore played there, but made the transition to a four-year school very soon after he left for Jacksonville.

It will also be the first-ever meeting with Iowa State (although Duke has played Iowa eight times).

bird
08-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I haven't seen anyone who has posted about the Iron Dukes ticket application, and what it shows about the schedule, but mine showed up Friday, and here it is:

Oct 17 BLUE-WHITE
Oct 24 PFEIFFER
Nov 4 FINDLAY
Nov ? UNC GREENSBORO

PRESEASON NIT - At Carmeron
Nov 16 COASTAL CAROLINA
Nov 17 UNC CHARLOTTE / ELON

Nov ? RADFORD

PRESEASON NIT - Madison Square Garden
Nov 25 Semi
Nov 27 Championship

Dec 2 at Wisconsin
Dec ? ST JOHN'S
Dec 15 GARDNER-WEBB
Dec 19 Gonzaga (Madison Square Garden)
Dec 29 LONG BEACH SATE
Dec 31 PENNSYLVANIA
Jan 3 CLEMSON
Jan 6 Iowa Statae (United Center, Chicago)
Jan ? at Ga Tech
Jan ? BOSTON COLLEGE
Jan ? WAKE FOREST
Jan ? at NC State
Jan ? at Clemson
Jan ? FL STATE
Jan 30 at Georgetown
Feb ? GA TECH
Feb ? at Boston College
Feb ? at North Carolina
Feb ? MARYLAND
Feb ? at Miami
Feb ? VA TECH
Feb ? TULSA
Feb ? at Virginia
Feb ? at Maryland
Mar ? NORTH CAROLINA
Mar 11-14 ACC Tourney

ACCBBallFan
08-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Kind of interesting how ACC unbalanced schedule is even more unbalanced this year.

Duke gets 3 of tis 5 Home and homes out of the way before even facing the other two MD and UNC once.

February is not as tough as it has traditionally been when most of the second time games were then.

The games near Georgetown appear to be the longest stretch of 4 tougher games though the 2 rivalry games will be the most difficult.

Duke has 19 games against teams I expect will be in top 50.

airowe
08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Duke plays PUNC on March 6th in a primetime game with the College Gameday crew in town all day.

We also play at Clemson on Saturday Jan. 23rd in Primetime with the Gameday crew there as well.

Anyone know when the rest of the schedule will come out?

SilkyJ
08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Anyone know when the rest of the schedule will come out?

third friday in august is the usual response here...

airowe
08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
third friday in august is the usual response here...

I can wait 3 days.

arydolphin
08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
For what it's worth, the entire ESPN College Gameday Schedule, with the show at 8 PM Eastern leading into the 9 PM Saturday night game:
Jan. 16 -- Notre Dame at Connecticut (women's)
Jan. 23 -- Duke at Clemson
Jan. 30 -- Kansas at Kansas State
Feb. 6 -- Michigan State at Illinois
Feb. 13 -- Tennessee at Kentucky
Feb. 20 -- UCLA at Washington
Feb. 27 -- Villanova at Syracuse
Mar. 6 -- North Carolina at Duke

Info taken from this link, which is Clemson's official press release: http://www.thetigernet.com/view/story.do?id=8008

ChicagoCrazy84
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
I live in Chicago, does anyone know when ISU vs. Duke tickets will go on sale and what the allotment will be to the schools and the general public? I am thinking of selling some, but mostly I want to make sure I get some for my fam so we can go. I am so excited!!

HCheek37
08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
while the majority of the schedule is pretty much known, the official release day is a little bit like Christmas morning, you can finally mark the game days/times on your calendar and look forward to the first tip of the new season. Also interested to see the layout of the ACC schedule in terms of rest and travel issues.

airowe
08-21-2009, 09:52 AM
while the majority of the schedule is pretty much known, the official release day is a little bit like Christmas morning, you can finally mark the game days/times on your calendar and look forward to the first tip of the new season. Also interested to see the layout of the ACC schedule in terms of rest and travel issues.

Cheek,

Christmas is coming late this year I guess. DukeBluePlanet is reporting that the schedule will come out "next Tuesday" via they're twitter. They also say to keep the weekend of Oct. 16th/17th open if you're in the area for some big kickoff events!

airowe
08-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Duke Blue Planet is announcing the schedule will come out this afternoon. They say we have 27 games on national TV, which is more than the Lakers. Talk about exposure.