PDA

View Full Version : Mason Plumlee... 2010 Draft?

Greg_Newton
08-26-2009, 12:04 AM
April 2010, just picture it... K is busy hanging his 4th banner in the rafters; Harrison, Kyrie and Roscoe are busy packing for summer school in Durham; Kyle has declared his intention to stay and repeat in 2011; and IC is rampant with fury and jealousy after a 7-9 ACC season and 2nd round NIT exit. Now picture DBR - will we have a "Mason Plumlee Draft Prospects" thread up at the top of the page??

I look at a couple recent examples from down the road... Brendan Wright, Marvin Williams, Ed Davis (and now allegedly John Henson), who all were/are long, versatile, athletic 6'9"+ forwards who were either drafted or projected in the lottery after their freshman year. What's more, with the exception of Wright, none of them put up (or are expected to put up) numbers that are out of range of what many posters on this board are projecting for Mason.

Now, Mason is probably the least polished, but I think he is the most intriguing physical prospect of the bunch. No matter how he performs this year, an agile 6'11 with a 7'2"+ wingspan (from the looks) and hefty vertical is a very unique talent. Given the NBA's propensity for drafting based on potential, I'm curious... do you expect we will at least be having this conversation next summer?

(And yes, it's way to early for rational people to "worry" about this.... but what else are we going to speculate about that we haven't already worn out this summer?):rolleyes:

SupaDave
08-26-2009, 12:06 AM
April 2010, just picture it... K is busy hanging his 4th banner in the rafters; Harrison, Kyrie and Roscoe are busy packing for summer school in Durham; Kyle has declared his intention to stay and repeat in 2011; and IC is rampant with fury and jealousy after a 7-9 ACC season and 2nd round NIT exit. Now picture DBR - will we have a "Mason Plumlee Draft Prospects" thread up at the top of the page??

I look at a couple recent examples from down the road... Brendan Wright, Marvin Williams, Ed Davis (and now allegedly John Henson), who all were/are long, versatile, athletic 6'9"+ forwards who were either drafted or projected in the lottery after their freshman year. What's more, with the exception of Wright, none of them put up (or are expected to put up) numbers that are out of range of what many posters on this board are projecting for Mason.

Now, Mason is probably the least polished, but I think he is the most intriguing physical prospect of the bunch. No matter how he performs this year, an agile 6'11 with a 7'2"+ wingspan (from the looks) and hefty vertical is a very unique talent. Given the NBA's propensity for drafting based on potential, I'm curious... do you expect we will at least be having this conversation next summer?

(And yes, it's way to early for rational people to "worry" about this.... but what else are we going to speculate about that we haven't already worn out this summer?):rolleyes:

LOL! Go to sleep!! :)

BlueintheFace
08-26-2009, 01:18 AM
I'll have what he's having...

superdave
08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
No, Mason will have to mature physically over several years to be a pro prospect. Also, it's not apparent how quickly he will catch up to the speed of the faster college game.

So, no....

airowe
08-26-2009, 09:45 AM
No, Mason will have to mature physically over several years to be a pro prospect. Also, it's not apparent how quickly he will catch up to the speed of the faster college game.

So, no....

He's 6'11" and 230 lbs. He likes to take guys off the dribble, he's not a back to the basket banger. How much more does he need to mature physically?

JasonEvans
08-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Folks... he is yet to play a single game at Duke. Lets at least wait until he is dominating before we start fretting about his pro prospects, ok?

I would strongly urge anyone to think long and hard before they post anything additional in this thread. I struggle to come up with anything worthwhile that needs to be said on this subject at this time.

Neither NBADraft.net nor DraftExpress have Mason in their 2010 mock drafts. Heck, NBADraft.net does not even have him in their 2011 mock. DraftExpress does not have a 2011 mock.

-Jason "I should probably just lock this thread, but I hate locking threads" Evans

jimsumner
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
This is funny. The same Mason Plumlee that some posters doubt will be a significant contributor this season, maybe ever. Now we're worried about him going NBA after his freshman year.

COYS
08-26-2009, 11:20 AM
This is funny. The same Mason Plumlee that some posters doubt will be a significant contributor this season, maybe ever. Now we're worried about him going NBA after his freshman year.

Such is life in the summer. November still seems too far away.

DukeDevilDeb
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Only Greg Newton could come up with a scenario like this! Please, go watch Duke play on ESPN Classic. Hang in there, folks! We will have a season... just not yet! Go DEVILS!

superdave
08-26-2009, 01:31 PM
We should start a wild and unlikely scenarios thread that is a catch-all for ideas like this one, new threads started between the hours of Midnight and 4am, guys we arent recruiting, and fans attempts at allocating mpg to the players on the roster. This could really keep things organized!

Super "Can't for the team picture to come out so people can discuss how ripped someone looks!" Dave

SupaDave
08-26-2009, 01:40 PM
We should start a wild and unlikely scenarios thread that is a catch-all for ideas like this one, new threads started between the hours of Midnight and 4am, guys we arent recruiting, and fans attempts at allocating mpg to the players on the roster. This could really keep things organized!

Super "Can't for the team picture to come out so people can discuss how ripped someone looks!" Dave

Yeah - the thread should be called "Sooooo, I was up late last night and..."

Greg_Newton
08-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Only Greg Newton could come up with a scenario like this! Please, go watch Duke play on ESPN Classic. Hang in there, folks! We will have a season... just not yet! Go DEVILS!

LOL, okay, okay, you're right... UNC makes a third round NIT exit. That last scenario was just silly.;)

Look, my main point is this: many posters have said their optimistic-but-realistic projection for him this year is around 8 and 6. If Duke has a successful year, does that type of season put him in the draft conversation given that he is a 6-11 freshman freak-athlete at a top-flight program? Again, see Ed Davis. Personally, I think it might. We'll see. I don't think it's "stupid" or "wild" to even suggest it.

I've long been of the opinion that Mason has the most raw NBA potential of any recruit we've landed in the latter half of the decade, or any we are currently pursuing (with the exception of HB). The fact that our two best players have been gushing about his talent level and readiness to start after just 2 months of summer play has not done much to dissuade me of this opinion. Just because he is currently under the radar of all-knowing nbadraft.net does not make this opinion indisputably wrong.

But mods, if you feel this thread should be locked, that's fine. I personally think it's a legitimate question to bring up given a) how much folks have projected Mason's 2009-2010 season and b) how many folks are discussing the potential 2010-2011 season already, but we can keep the August banter to interpreting Kyrie Irving's various twitter updates and debating whether we're 8th vs. 9th on Brandon Knight's list if that's so much less "ridiculous"...:D

jimsumner
08-26-2009, 03:26 PM
You don't think "freak athlete" might not be a bit over the top?

SupaDave
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
But mods, if you feel this thread should be locked, that's fine. I personally think it's a legitimate question to bring up given a) how much folks have projected Mason's 2009-2010 season and b) how many folks are discussing the potential 2010-2011 season already, but we can keep the August banter to interpreting Kyrie Irving's various twitter updates and debating whether we're 8th vs. 9th on Brandon Knight's list if that's so much less "ridiculous"...:D

Just remember that those are actual events and while we don't mind season predictions, it's a bit ambitous to go all the way to the NBA when we haven't seen him in a Duke jersey.

FYI - Brandan Wright has played in 77 games in two seasons. That doesn't bode well for Plumlee or Davis.

airowe
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Not with such a ringing endorsement from a guy who can do all of this in just 75 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckF5M2HSA0o

Greg_Newton
08-26-2009, 04:44 PM

Perhaps so. I would love to know what his official wingspan measurement is... it may well be his length that is "freakish" rather than his pure athleticism, but at the very least he is quite a good athlete for his size. In any case, he seems to get up higher with less effort than anyone we've had in a long time, if ever.

crimsonandblue
08-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Folks... he is yet to play a single game at Duke. Lets at least wait until he is dominating before we start fretting about his pro prospects, ok?

I would strongly urge anyone to think long and hard before they post anything additional in this thread. I struggle to come up with anything worthwhile that needs to be said on this subject at this time.

Neither NBADraft.net nor DraftExpress have Mason in their 2010 mock drafts. Heck, NBADraft.net does not even have him in their 2011 mock. DraftExpress does not have a 2011 mock.

-Jason "I should probably just lock this thread, but I hate locking threads" Evans

How early is too early to predict his jersey in the rafters? ;)

MChambers
08-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Mason's not exactly Patrick Davidson, is he? Let's not get our hopes up too much.

devildeac
08-26-2009, 05:48 PM

I dunno, ask Jason Evans...:rolleyes:

(I think I have the correct [or incorrect, depending on your point of view] "prognosticator" for a certain player's #42 jersey to the rafters who left after 3 years...)

If not, my public apology to Mr. Evans in advance.

crimsonandblue
08-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I dunno, ask Jason Evans...:rolleyes:

I thought I had.

RelativeWays
08-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Need something to occupy your time till November? Did you know Duke has a football team? I hear they may do well this year. Yeah yeah I know, "but this is Duke BASKETBALL report" Okay, here's the report. All quiet on the CIS front, its FOOTBALL TIME and Coach Cut needs ALL Duke fans; support!!!

SupaDave
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Need something to occupy your time till November? Did you know Duke has a football team? I hear they may do well this year. Yeah yeah I know, "but this is Duke BASKETBALL report" Okay, here's the report. All quiet on the CIS front, its FOOTBALL TIME and Coach Cut needs ALL Duke fans; support!!!

Actually I just found out TODAY that my co-workers son is on the team this year so I'll definitely be keeping up with a young Mr. Putnam from Georgia. The last time I talked to his mom about him he was a Georgia Tech lean (and I pushed that of course b/c they were one of the first schools to offer him) but him choosing Duke is just as sweet for me. She actually had a football team poster up in the office!! And yes - he choose Duke for the academics.

So yes, we've got some great kids on that football team. I would love for someone to start a thread where we could get to know a few more of the players personally.

mgtr
08-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Well, I admit that I have not studied the schedule. But I know we start official practice in October (barely a month away!) Is the blue-white (the first real game) not in October instead of November? Please, basketball gods, don't make me wait until Nobember. Please.

jesus_hurley
08-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, I admit that I have not studied the schedule. But I know we start official practice in October (barely a month away!) Is the blue-white (the first real game) not in October instead of November? Please, basketball gods, don't make me wait until Nobember. Please.

Blue-White game is on 10/16. but the really important exhibition in October is the following weekend when Barnes comes to visit and there is a game against Pfeiffer (10/24)

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2009, 10:40 PM
So yes, we've got some great kids on that football team. I would love for someone to start a thread where we could get to know a few more of the players personally.
You're a mod, and that sounds like a good story to start with. Lead the way! I think the thread idea is a good one.

Memphis Devil
08-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Just remember that those are actual events and while we don't mind season predictions, it's a bit ambitous to go all the way to the NBA when we haven't seen him in a Duke jersey.

FYI - Brandan Wright has played in 77 games in two seasons. That doesn't bode well for Plumlee or Davis.

Are you insinuating that NBA GM's learn from their own mistakes and don't draft based on what could be/might be instead of what is?

I guess the Grizzlies didn't get that e-mail this year when they took Thabeet. Oh yeah, neither did the Raptors and the Bucks. And that's just in the first ten picks.:rolleyes:

JasonEvans
08-27-2009, 11:44 AM

Sigh. I will never live that one down, will I?

In fairness, the rafter prediction came after a certain freshman had played 2 games and was averaging 20 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 bpg, and shooting 55% from the field including 2-4 on threes. It did not seem so ridiculous at the time ;)

How many kids have the best game of their career in the first game of their career?

Actually, Shav's best game came later that freshman season against Butler, but the player he was against Army and Davidson was not the player he was the rest of his 3 year Duke career. So sad...

--Jason "if Mason starts out like gangbusters -- I'll keep quiet on my predictions" Evans

SupaDave
08-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Are you insinuating that NBA GM's learn from their own mistakes and don't draft based on what could be/might be instead of what is?

I guess the Grizzlies didn't get that e-mail this year when they took Thabeet. Oh yeah, neither did the Raptors and the Bucks. And that's just in the first ten picks.:rolleyes:

Smart GMs do. And FWIW, Thabeet played three years and is a 7'3" shot blocker - kinda hard to pass on. His skill set is what it is. The NBA will bulk him up.

Most importantly though, just as Mason will have to do - Thabeet had to PROVE himself on some kind of level.

thewiseben
08-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Smart GMs do. And FWIW, Thabeet played three years and is a 7'3" shot blocker - kinda hard to pass on. His skill set is what it is. The NBA will bulk him up.

Most importantly though, just as Mason will have to do - Thabeet had to PROVE himself on some kind of level.

No one in the world would call the management behind the Grizzlies 'smart.' Acquiring Iverson and Zach Randolph? I've heard of a couple of locker room cancer cases, but why would you want two on the same roster?

I wonder if they know Stephon Marbury's not too busy...

SupaDave
08-27-2009, 03:28 PM
No one in the world would call the management behind the Grizzlies 'smart.' Acquiring Iverson and Zach Randolph? I've heard of a couple of locker room cancer cases, but why would you want two on the same roster?

I wonder if they know Stephon Marbury's not too busy...

But ahhh, that's just on the surface. The Grizz are loaded with young talent and seem to be trying to make it through the year. They will have TWO first round draft picks in the 2010 to build around Gay, Conley, Thabeet, Carroll, and Mayo. They could be quite formidable in another two years by dumping salaries.

Memphis Devil
08-27-2009, 04:43 PM

I can promise you that the Griz do not think that all they got for their 2nd overall selection was a shot blocker who is an offensive and rebounding liability. They are banking on the fact that he has only played organized basketball for about 5 years and crossing their fingers and toes that the rest of his game develops.

As for Mason, the only thing that he will have to prove to the NBA is that he is athletic (check), basketball savvy (check), unusual range for his size (check), and a very high ceiling (check). Let's not forget McBob was projected by some as a lottery pick after his Freshman year. It's not that he got worse, his ceiling just came crashing down.

speedevil2001
08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Sigh. I will never live that one down, will I?

In fairness, the rafter prediction came after a certain freshman had played 2 games and was averaging 20 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 bpg, and shooting 55% from the field including 2-4 on threes. It did not seem so ridiculous at the time ;)

How many kids have the best game of their career in the first game of their career?

Actually, Shav's best game came later that freshman season against Butler, but the player he was against Army and Davidson was not the player he was the rest of his 3 year Duke career. So sad...

--Jason "if Mason starts out like gangbusters -- I'll keep quiet on my predictions" Evans

shav should have stayed for his senior season at duke.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-28-2009, 03:44 AM
I hope Mason is a big draft prospect this year. Because that would only mean he had a better than expected year. And who doesn't want that.

SilkyJ
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I hope Mason is a big draft prospect this year. Because that would only mean he had a better than expected year. And who doesn't want that.

I think the point was that he doesn't necessarily have to have a ridiculous year to be in the conversation for next year's draft due to his large "upside." Ed Davis would seem to be the logical comparison as he averaged ~6.5pts and ~6.5 rebs in 19mins per game. I thats right around what people are expecting from Mason and frankly are far from "out of this world" numbers, though when extrapolated out to 35mins per game are much more impressive, probably around 12pts/12reb. Nonetheless 12/12 playing 35mpg is not ridiculous, but its very good and its quite reasonable to think MP2 could average something like that (again on an extrapolated basis, no way he plays more than 20-25mpg with all the crowding we have in the post) and that could have scouts drooling...

ice-9
08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
12 rebounds per game in college basketball is REALLY good.

InSpades
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Really good but not ridiculous. For comparison sake... Dejuan Blair averaged 16 and 12 last year in much less than 35 mpg and was taken in the 2nd round.

Obviously MP2 is a very different player than Blair who was likely hurt by his lack of size and a question of whether his skills would translate to the NBA.

SilkyJ
08-28-2009, 03:00 PM
12 rebounds per game in college basketball is REALLY good.

sorry. If I could still edit my post I would change it from "very good" to "REALLY good"

Greg_Newton
03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
But WAYELLLLLL wellllll well.... :)

Would you look who recently jumped to no. 23 on Chad Ford's draft board, despite averaging 3.8 points and 3.3 rebounds in an injury-shortened season? Based solely on his physical gifts and potential... just as I predicted? And was ridiculed for predicting?

I don't think he'll go - and reaaaally hope he doesn't consider it - but he is certainly in the conversation, as I suspected.

Line for apologies starts at the door!;) (Also, please note my UNC-NIT prediction in the OP (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=311255&postcount=1)... props to the heels for shattering my 2nd-round-exit expectations...)

I'll have what he's having...

Only Greg Newton could come up with a scenario like this!

We should start a wild and unlikely scenarios thread that is a catch-all for ideas like this one...

Yeah - the thread should be called "Sooooo, I was up late last night and..."

So, no....

cato
03-31-2010, 05:33 PM
But WAYELLLLLL wellllll well.... :)

Would you look who recently jumped to no. 23 on Chad Ford's draft board, despite averaging 3.8 points and 3.3 rebounds in an injury-shortened season? Based solely on his physical gifts and potential... just as I predicted? And was ridiculed for predicting?

I don't think he'll go - and reaaaally hope he doesn't consider it - but he is certainly in the conversation, as I suspected.

Line for apologies starts at the door!;) (Also, please note my UNC-NIT prediction in the OP (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=311255&postcount=1)... props to the heels for shattering my 2nd-round-exit expectations...)

Too bad about the HB prediction, huh?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Too bad about the HB prediction, huh?

Not really

Bluedog
03-31-2010, 05:47 PM
(Also, please note my UNC-NIT prediction in the OP (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=311255&postcount=1)... props to the heels for shattering my 2nd-round-exit expectations...)

But they didn't meet your 7-9 ACC expectation! haha. This is hysterical how many of those seemingly unlikely scenarios played out...Nice!

Edit: Joe Belmont? Never heard of him. I guess I continue to need to brush up on my Duke basketball history...Averaged 16.9 ppg his senior season in '56 apparently.

hq2
03-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, if he goes pro this year, he'll spend at least two years on the bench doing nothing, like McBobs. He needs one, maybe two more years to mature and grow into his skills before going pro.

Greg_Newton
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
But they didn't meet your 7-9 ACC expectation! haha. This is hysterical how many of those seemingly unlikely scenarios played out...Nice!

Edit: Joe Belmont? Never heard of him. I guess I continue to need to brush up on my Duke basketball history...Averaged 16.9 ppg his senior season in '56 apparently.

Haha thanks... hopefully the last unfulfilled prophecy will come to fruition this weekend.

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2010, 07:33 PM
But WAYELLLLLL wellllll well...

Congratulations Captain I-Told-You-So. I never responded to the original point of the thread, but I will now. It would be a huge mistake equal to millions of lost dollars if he went in the draft. Revisit the idea again next year, after he's had a season of starts under his belt and his skills have caught up with his potential. There is a reason he is third on the bench behind Zoubs and Miles.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
If he went this year, I don't think he would even be drafted.

Greg_Newton
03-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Congratulations Captain I-Told-You-So. I never responded to the original point of the thread, but I will now. It would be a huge mistake equal to millions of lost dollars if he went in the draft. Revisit the idea again next year, after he's had a season of starts under his belt and his skills have caught up with his potential. There is a reason he is third on the bench behind Zoubs and Miles.

Easy, killer. Just having some fun, because I took a lot of grief. And where did I ever say he should go pro this year? My point was that he would be in the discussion thanks to his potential despite his production, which he is... #23 on Ford's draft board, even after his stats were well below everyone's projections.

(And BTW, Zoubek starts. Mason is second off the bench.)

IBleedBlue
03-31-2010, 09:01 PM
I had 3 hienekins and one Sumbuca. I think that's what the OP had when he started this thread. I am glad he had it because he predicted everything right so far and it goes on...

juise
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
My point was that he would be in the discussion thanks to his potential despite his production, which he is... #23 on Ford's draft board, even after his stats were well below everyone's projections.

To be fair, your original question is whether we would be having this conversation over the summer.

(1) It's not summer yet.
(2) The only reason we are having any sort of conversation about this topic (while the tournament is still going) is because you bumped a thread from last summer. ;)

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Easy, killer. Just having some fun, because I took a lot of grief.
(And BTW, Zoubek starts. Mason is second off the bench.)
I know you're in jest..but I still had to throw that in. By the way, in this tourney, Mason is third off. Z starts, followed by Miles. Mason only comes in on "the changeover" when both Z and LT go out. If you need proof, look back to the Purdue game. Z had to sit early, and Miles came in and pretty much changed the pace of that game by himself.

P.S. I'll take either MP's...they are kicking azz.

CDu
03-31-2010, 09:49 PM
I know you're in jest..but I still had to throw that in. By the way, in this tourney, Mason is third off. Z starts, followed by Miles. Mason only comes in on "the changeover" when both Z and LT go out. If you need proof, look back to the Purdue game. Z had to sit early, and Miles came in and pretty much changed the pace of that game by himself.

P.S. I'll take either MP's...they are kicking azz.

Technically, that makes him at worst second off the bench. Thomas and Zoubek both come out before any of the big three come out. And I'd say that Mason and Miles are equivalent in terms of whom comes in. Unless there's foul trouble, Coach K usually brings them in simultaneously. If Thomas is in foul trouble, then Mason comes in. If Zoubek is in foul trouble, Miles comes in.

Greg_Newton
03-31-2010, 10:16 PM
To be fair, your original question is whether we would be having this conversation over the summer.

(1) It's not summer yet.
(2) The only reason we are having any sort of conversation about this topic (while the tournament is still going) is because you bumped a thread from last summer. ;)

Haha, touche sir. In my defense...

(1) I specifically said April 2010, so give me a couple of hours...
(2) To be fair, it's been discussed in several different threads, just not here.

CBB&B, no worries... I'll defer to CDu's response to the "third off the bench" thing though.

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2010, 11:23 PM
CBB&B, no worries... I'll defer to CDu's response to the "third off the bench" thing though.
Ha! I need to go back and add a comma. "Third, off the bench."
1. Zoubs 2. Miles 3. Mason. No fair bringing in Mason for LT though, LT would never go out early with foul trouble. :rolleyes:

CameronBornAndBred
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
"The one wild card and the guy who could come up with a big game is Mason Plumlee (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=45913). He has the ability to do that. Sometimes he's a bit wild. In the first game against us, he took chances and it hurt us. The second game, he took chances and it hurt them. Plumlee is the best pro prospect.''
---Paul Hewitt http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5045989

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't think Mason will or should leave. I could see him leaving after his Soph year though. I think he has the most potential of anyone on our team right now.

If he wanted to leave right now though I absolutely think he would get drafted in the second round. I doubt he would get in the end of the first round but I would expect to him to get drafted in the first half of the second round. He fits the profile of a high upside pick in the second round where a team takes a limited risk and could sign him to a rather modest contract while evaluating him. If he left, which again I don't think he will or should, I don't see anyway he wouldn't get drafted by the end of the second round.

Duke of Nashville
04-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't think Mason will or should leave. I could see him leaving after his Soph year though. I think he has the most potential of anyone on our team right now.

If he wanted to leave right now though I absolutely think he would get drafted in the second round. I doubt he would get in the end of the first round but I would expect to him to get drafted in the first half of the second round. He fits the profile of a high upside pick in the second round where a team takes a limited risk and could sign him to a rather modest contract while evaluating him. If he left, which again I don't think he will or should, I don't see anyway he wouldn't get drafted by the end of the second round.

Since this is all speculation anyway....

I think Mason will atleast stay 3 years and win back to back to back NCAA Championships.

CameronBornAndBred
04-01-2010, 03:58 PM

I think Mason will atleast stay 3 years and win back to back to back NCAA Championships.
With his brotherS.:D

Channing
04-01-2010, 04:04 PM

why the pessimism? only 2 in 3 years?

Bo_Spice
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I highly doubt he leaves this year, although Chad Ford has him as the #25 prospect, Draftexpress projects Mason to be a top 10 pick in the 2011 Draft. Hopefully he comes back next season, and with a bigger role can prove that he is deserving of being a legitimate lottery pick.

Duke of Nashville
04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
With his brotherS.:D

The three Plumlee's combine the energies from their rings..."By your powers combined, I am Captain Plumlee!"

http://www.bluecollaragents.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/captain-planet.jpg

Duke of Nashville
04-01-2010, 04:08 PM
why the pessimism? only 2 in 3 years?

Sometimes they bleed together...back to back to back is three...atleast it is in Yankee.Lakers.UCLA terms.

MChambers
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM
---Paul Hewitt http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5045989

Is interesting, but I'm pretty sure we played GT three times. Guess he is just talking about the regular season games.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-02-2010, 05:59 AM
http://www.mynbadraft.com/2010-NBA-Mock-Draft

Mason cracks the first round and Kyle makes the second.

Greg_Newton
04-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Alright, even I don't really get this (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2010&set=0).

Mason's 3.7 point/3.1 rebound injury-shortened season was apparently enough to put him in the top 20, were he to declare. Guess that's the three P's of NBA drafting for ya... potential, potential, potential.

If he can break the 6-point-per-game mark next season, watch out lottery!:)

CDu
04-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Alright, even I don't really get this (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2010&set=0).

Mason's 3.7 point/3.1 rebound injury-shortened season was apparently enough to put him in the top 20, were he to declare. Guess that's the three P's of NBA drafting for ya... potential, potential, potential.

6'10" guys with that kind of athleticism don't come around everyday. Performance is only a requirement among upperclassmen. If you're a freshman or sophomore, the expectation of what you've accomplished is a lot lower.

Lord Ash
04-17-2010, 06:50 PM
On my screen Mason is at 37th?

Big Pappa
04-17-2010, 07:13 PM
On my screen Mason is at 37th?

No he has been bumped up to 19th. He is the only player in Chad Ford's top 20 that hasn't declared.

fgb
04-17-2010, 07:20 PM

if the "duke hate" is for real, this sort of thing doesn't surprise me. maybe i'm being a little paranoid here (just because i'm paranoid doen't mean it isn't true), but people could say this stuff simply in order to [I]get[I] mason to leave. maybe even chad ford.

henson came on strong at the end of the season; more so than mason, one could argue. and yet i don't read anything about his 2010 draft status, or see him on anyone's mock draft boards. just sayin.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-17-2010, 07:58 PM
if the "duke hate" is for real, this sort of thing doesn't surprise me. maybe i'm being a little paranoid here (just because i'm paranoid doen't mean it isn't true), but people could say this stuff simply in order to [I]get[I] mason to leave. maybe even chad ford.

That's what I think is going on with Kyle singler, i may be wrong but I have a feeling if he declares his stock with drop a little.

Osiagledknarf
04-17-2010, 08:11 PM

Big men usually take longer to come into form then guards.. Our offense was not run through big man scoring, it was run through Scheyer, Smith and Singler all season... The job of the big man was to get offensive rebounds and kick back out for wide open looks to the big 3 and to guys like Dawkins when he was on the floor, not to score.. With Scheyer gone, this should change a bit..

I think you will see Mason flourish next season and he will show off his outstanding athletic ability and his great offensive skills next season, and live up to this hype.. Keep in mind he only played 14 minutes and really hasn't much of a sample size..

Cockabeau
04-17-2010, 09:28 PM
"If you can wear [Jon] Scheyer down you can have success against them."

Here is what Hewitt really meant to say

"If you can get away with shirt tugging and forearm checking,you can have sucess against them.

The only reason is was close in the first game is because the refs let Tech get away with everything. But hey, next year we are going to destroy tech

chillfan23
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
How high is this guy's ceiling (and no I'm not talking about his incredible leaping ability;))? Is he a future all-american...lottery pick?

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
There have already been two lengthy discussions of Marshall Plumlee. Look on page 4 and page 5 of this forum.

Osiagledknarf
07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
There are already many Mason Plumlee threads on here. use the search option at the top of the page.

Please look before you post.

Cockabeau
07-21-2010, 05:02 PM
All-American maybe.
Lotto pick-most definitely