PDA

View Full Version : Duke offers Marshall Plumlee

watzone
08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
BDN has learned that Coach K made the call with an offer to 6-11 Marshall Plumlee. Now, show me where someone else has broken that news;)

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/08/breaking-news-coach-k-calls-and-offers-2011-prospect-marshall-plumlee/

Indoor66
08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Duke's Mahaffey's.

BlueintheFace
08-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I thought you would be breaking this news before Tokoto Watzone. Nice scoop!

miramar
08-25-2009, 06:33 PM
A lot of people wanted a more aggressive approach to recruiting, and the coaching staff has certainly not disappointed in that regard. The Olympics definitely do not seem to be a problem.

chrishoke
08-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Duke's Mahaffey's.

Post of the day! :)

roywhite
08-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Duke's Mahaffey's.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012109aaa.html

An excellent article on the 4 Mahaffey brothers of Clemson from our own Jim Sumner.

"It was hard to miss them. Tom, Donnie, Randy, and Richie — at least one played for every Clemson basketball varsity basketball team from 1960 through 1970. They were all about the same size, 6’7” to 6’8”, 215 to 220 pounds. All were tough inside players, who could score, defend, and rebound."....

DevilHorse
08-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I remember that there was always a Jones from Albany State; that's Albany Georgia to all you northerners like me, not University of Albany (NY). That was Oliver, Wilbert, Melvin, Caldwell, Charles and Major Jones. A couple of brothers were NBA caliber players.

Larry
DevilHorse
Albany (North) '78
Duke '80, '83

BlueintheFace
08-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Does anybody have any thoughts about K breaking the NABC guidelines with these scholarship offers? Is it a big deal or not? Does the fact that other programs do it make it more acceptable or not?

mgtr
08-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Does anybody have any thoughts about K breaking the NABC guidelines with these scholarship offers? Is it a big deal or not? Does the fact that other programs do it make it more acceptable or not?

OK, I am flummoxed (to quote Nero Wolfe). What is NABC and what are their guidelines and why should we care?

FireOgilvie
08-25-2009, 09:09 PM

Marshall is starting his junior year of HS right now, so I'm pretty sure offering him does not go against the guideline.

roywhite
08-25-2009, 09:15 PM

You're referring to the suggestion (or is there a more accurate term?) from the National Association of Basketball Coaches that college coaches not make scholarship offers to high school players until they complete their sophomore years (or is it by a date specific?)

Tokoto is the class of 2012, but Marshall Plumlee is the class of 2011.

Coach K and staff got a chance to see and work with Tokoto at the Elite Camp, and also apparently met and spent time with his family. The parties involved apparently thought Tokoto and Duke were a good fit.

No, I'm not bothered by the offer under the circumstances.

mgtr
08-25-2009, 09:32 PM
As it appears that we were about the fifth school to offer Tokoto, it doesn't seem to me that we are exactly breaking new ground here.

beltwayBD
08-25-2009, 09:54 PM
BDN has learned that Coach K made the call with an offer to 6-11 Marshall Plumlee. Now, show me where someone else has broken that news;)

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/08/breaking-news-coach-k-calls-and-offers-2011-prospect-marshall-plumlee/

If we get him, will we have to call him MP3? :)

roywhite
08-25-2009, 09:58 PM
If we get him, will we have to call him MP3? :)

I think so, especially for the 2011-12 season, where there may be all 3 of them on the roster.

mgtr
08-25-2009, 10:25 PM
We have a portable DVD player that my wife uses in the car occasionally. It is made by Mustek, and it is an 8.5" model. I noticed today the box sitting in my den, and plastered all over it is the model number -- MP85. So, I was wonderering how generations before we get to MP85?

roywhite
08-25-2009, 10:32 PM
We have a portable DVD player that my wife uses in the car occasionally. It is made by Mustek, and it is an 8.5" model. I noticed today the box sitting in my den, and plastered all over it is the model number -- MP85. So, I was wonderering how generations before we get to MP85?

A good question for Mr. and Mrs. Plumlee, though his name Perky seems to indicate he is trying. :)

What do we say on Senior Day for MP3? "3 more boys...3 more boys".

BlueintheFace
08-25-2009, 11:58 PM
You're referring to the suggestion (or is there a more accurate term?) from the National Association of Basketball Coaches that college coaches not make scholarship offers to high school players until they complete their sophomore years (or is it by a date specific?)

Tokoto is the class of 2012, but Marshall Plumlee is the class of 2011.

Coach K and staff got a chance to see and work with Tokoto at the Elite Camp, and also apparently met and spent time with his family. The parties involved apparently thought Tokoto and Duke were a good fit.

No, I'm not bothered by the offer under the circumstances.

Sorry, I posted this under the wrong thread (so many offers going around its hard to keep track;))

I believe the date is June 15th following their sophomore year.

speedevil2001
08-26-2009, 03:25 AM
A lot of people wanted a more aggressive approach to recruiting, and the coaching staff has certainly not disappointed in that regard. The Olympics definitely do not seem to be a problem.

i dont think offering a high school junior to be and a sophomore to be, aggressive, i think coach k is reaching out and being more proactive to possible recruits earlier.

if coach k, had done this to john wall, i think it wall would be at duke right now.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-26-2009, 03:35 AM
i dont think offering a high school junior to be and a sophomore to be, aggressive, i think coach k is reaching out and being more proactive to possible recruits earlier.

if coach k, had done this to john wall, i think it wall would be at duke right now.

No Wall had all the reason's to go to Duke but decided not to. I think he never wanted to go but was urged by his coach and it seemed like his best option. O well lets move on seeing his name hurts. :o

speedevil2001
08-26-2009, 04:16 AM
No Wall had all the reason's to go to Duke but decided not to. I think he never wanted to go but was urged by his coach and it seemed like his best option. O well lets move on seeing his name hurts. :o

yes, if coach k had started recruiting john wall early in his sophomore year, it would had made a huge impression on wall towards duke, instead of relying on his handler.

JasonEvans
08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Folks, lets not get into a discussion of John Wall in a thread about MP3. Please!!

We should really endeavor to stay on topic when in a thread about a specific recruit, ok?

--Jason "how are they gonna do the back of the jersey when/if MP3 arrives?!?!" Evans

airowe
08-26-2009, 10:07 AM
--Jason "how are they gonna do the back of the jersey when/if MP3 arrives?!?!" Evans

According to Mason, they're just doing Plumlee for him and Miles. I'm guessing they'll just continue it with Marshall when/if.

Adam "I'm gonna feel bad for Bob Harris if there's a Plumlee to Plumlee to Plumlee breakaway" Rowe

JasonEvans
08-26-2009, 10:12 AM
According to Mason, they're just doing Plumlee for him and Miles. I'm guessing they'll just continue it with Marshall when/if.

Adam "I'm gonna feel bad for Bob Harris if there's a Plumlee to Plumlee to Plumlee breakaway" Rowe

Ahhh, I figured it would be "Ma. Plumlee" and "Mi. Plumlee." Of course, that raised the possibility of "Mar. Plumlee" and "Mas. Plumlee" in a couple years (I hope!)

--Jason "Mas Plumlee-- sounds like an order in a Mexican restaurant" Evans

NSDukeFan
08-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Ahhh, I figured it would be "Ma. Plumlee" and "Mi. Plumlee." Of course, that raised the possibility of "Mar. Plumlee" and "Mas. Plumlee" in a couple years (I hope!)

we get mas Plumlee

jimsumner
08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
"Adam "I'm gonna feel bad for Bob Harris if there's a Plumlee to Plumlee to Plumlee breakaway" Rowe "

Bob's spent the last few football seasons trying to master Vince Oghobaase, Chris Rwabukamba and Ayanga Okpokowuruk.

So, he's battle-hardened. He can handle Plumlee to Plumlee to Plumlee. :)

The Gordog
08-26-2009, 01:06 PM

I thought it was the sister city to that town on Tatooine in Star Wars, Mos Eisley.

sagegrouse
08-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Are you getting Mexican food and Thai food mixed up again? Here's a link to Thai chef (http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Saichon_Plumlee)Saichon Plumlee.

sagegrouse
'Aha! We is there room for a team chef?'

G man
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Got to love the Plumlee family!

roywhite
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
What do we know about Marshall Plumlee's game? Christ School was loaded last year, and Marshall didn't get a whole lot of playing time.

From what I read, he is already, or on his way to being, the tallest of the Plumlee brothers. Does he have the good jumping ability that Miles and Mason have?

Mostly inside game or does he like to step out and shoot? On the defensive side, does he have some shotblocking tendencies?

COYS
08-26-2009, 01:26 PM
What do we know about Marshall Plumlee's game? Christ School was loaded last year, and Marshall didn't get a whole lot of playing time.

From what I read, he is already, or on his way to being, the tallest of the Plumlee brothers. Does he have the good jumping ability that Miles and Mason have?

Mostly inside game or does he like to step out and shoot? On the defensive side, does he have some shotblocking tendencies?

I've been wondering the same thing. I heard rumors early on that he was the most inside-oriented player of the three, but that very well could have been the result of his playing on a loaded team and simply not needing to face up on offense or do much more than just box out and rebound on defense.

Greg_Newton
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM

Here's a few clips of him that look to be taken from a single game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRuxVh5LrWo

Looks good for a 6'11" rising junior... establishes position well and a shows a nice little drop step. He'll be a player come 2011, I hope we get him!

tommy
08-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Or we could do it like some of the old ABA teams did, I think, and just put all the guys' first names on the backs of the jerseys. Now that would be old school hip.

sagegrouse
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
A hundred years ago (actually 1886), Sir Francis Galton noticed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean)that the children of extremely tall parents were not as tall. Adjusting for differences in height by sex, he estimated that the coefficient of regression (yeah, people really do talk like this) was about two-thirds. Thus, if a the parents' average height was six inches above the mean, then the child would -- on average -- be only four inches above the mean.

And, as you have probably noticed, the sons of famous NBA centers are extremely tall but not as tall as their fathers: see Patrick Ewing Jr., Luke Walton, Ralph Sampson Jr. and the kids of Moses Malone and Kareem.

What the heck happened to the Plumlees? Both parents were college basketball players, and I am not sure of the heights. But to have three sons reaching 6-10, 6-10, and 6-11 is truly extraordinary.

Is anyone aware of a comparable case of parents and/or siblings of heights 6-10 or above? Jay and Clay Buckley at Duke were both 6-10, but that isn't close to the Plumlee case.

sagegrouse

BlueintheFace
08-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Are we sure there isn't a 7'3" Marcus Plumlee hiding somewhere?

airowe
08-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Does this guy have any offspring?

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records/human_body/extreme_bodies/tallest_man.aspx

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/images/records/rhp/portrait/80758.jpg

jesus_hurley
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Or a 6'8" Mary Plumlee for the women's team?

rsvman
08-28-2009, 01:42 PM
A hundred years ago (actually 1886), Sir Francis Galton noticed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean)that the children of extremely tall parents were not as tall. Adjusting for differences in height by sex, he estimated that the coefficient of regression (yeah, people really do talk like this) was about two-thirds. Thus, if a the parents' average height was six inches above the mean, then the child would -- on average -- be only four inches above the mean. ...
sagegrouse

Yep. It's called "Regression to the Mean," and it works the opposite way for children whose parents are both below the mean.

Thank goodness every rule has its exceptions!

SupaDave
08-28-2009, 02:14 PM
A hundred years ago (actually 1886), Sir Francis Galton noticed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean)that the children of extremely tall parents were not as tall. Adjusting for differences in height by sex, he estimated that the coefficient of regression (yeah, people really do talk like this) was about two-thirds. Thus, if a the parents' average height was six inches above the mean, then the child would -- on average -- be only four inches above the mean.

And, as you have probably noticed, the sons of famous NBA centers are extremely tall but not as tall as their fathers: see Patrick Ewing Jr., Luke Walton, Ralph Sampson Jr. and the kids of Moses Malone and Kareem.

What the heck happened to the Plumlees? Both parents were college basketball players, and I am not sure of the heights. But to have three sons reaching 6-10, 6-10, and 6-11 is truly extraordinary.

Is anyone aware of a comparable case of parents and/or siblings of heights 6-10 or above? Jay and Clay Buckley at Duke were both 6-10, but that isn't close to the Plumlee case.

sagegrouse

Take a look at my baby cousins on OTB - the Little League World Series thread...

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-28-2009, 02:43 PM
LMFAOROFL

Mary and Marcus next duke Stars

SilkyJ
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I know we kind of moved away from the whole NABC guidelines thing that Blueintheface posted, but I am just getting caught up -

Didn't we offer Demarcus early on and didn't he commit during his soph or junior year? I seem to remember at the time that it was touted that he was the earliest commit we ever had or something like that.

DukieTiger
08-28-2009, 03:42 PM
We offered Demarcus at the TOC, Memorial Day weekend after his Sophomore year. That's also when he committed and I do believe that he was/is the youngest player ever to commit to Duke.

Redick was pretty close as well, I believe he committed on October 5 of his Junior year. (Hey you would remember it too if your favorite player committed to your team on your birthday!)