PDA

View Full Version : Story and a question, first time poster

Midknight
08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm a first time poster but long time lurker, back at least to the days of Lance Thomas's recruitment. First off a story about another good reason to hate the holes. When my parents were in college at Furman University, my dad was the sports editor of the paper. Back then, Furman would play UNC and NC State every year in the North/South Double Header. At the UNC game in my parents' junior, mom and dad were sitting on press row, and just happened to be right next to the sports editor of the Daily Tarheel. Earlier that year, Clemson had beaten UNC in a big upset. That same day, Clemson was playing South Carolina in basketball. Since Furman is only about an hour's drive from Clemson, my mom wanted to know the score of the game. She casually looked over at the editor and asked if he had heard a Clemson-Carolina score. He took this as an insult and she was rubbing it in that the South Carolina hicks had beaten the mighty Tar Heels. Well, instead of taking it in stride and without even bothering to ask which Carolina she was talking about, he instead looks her in the eye and dumps his Coke in her lap. Class act.

Now for the question. I just graduated from Furman myself and will be living in China for a year teaching English. Is there any way to reliably watch Duke games online outside of ESPN 360? I really doubt I can go an entire season without Duke basketball, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ACCBBallFan
08-22-2009, 11:20 PM
The best option seems to be justintv.com if I recall the URL correctly. There are also a couple of sites that rely on someone hosting free tv over the internet one called sopcast.com.

If you just google free tv over internet you will see lots of options. Since Duke tends to be on ESPN or one of the network channels you shold not have as much trouble getting broadcasts as you would if it were ESPN-U for example, and will not have to rely on someone braodcasting what you are interested in seeing

moonpie23
08-22-2009, 11:49 PM
get someone in the triangle to set up a slingbox for you..

PSurprise
08-23-2009, 12:11 AM
The best option seems to be justintv.com if I recall the URL correctly. There are also a couple of sites that rely on someone hosting free tv over the internet one called sopcast.com.

If you just google free tv over internet you will see lots of options. Since Duke tends to be on ESPN or one of the network channels you shold not have as much trouble getting broadcasts as you would if it were ESPN-U for example, and will not have to rely on someone braodcasting what you are interested in seeing

Not to be nitpicky, but the site is www.justin.tv You can also try www.channelsurfing.net Sometimes it works well, othertimes meh...
Good luck!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the world of posting on the DBR!

Slingbox is the number one option. Deslok, who teaches in S. Korea (he's from New Jersey) rarely misses a game and of course he "hosts" the snrubchat most of the time.

Another option may be available this season. Last spring Duke was talking about streaming all the games, and not just in basketball, through a new and improved internet service. Don't know the status of that yet.

theAlaskanBear
08-23-2009, 02:19 PM
What age are your English students? If you have teenagers, I would imagine that at least one of them would know how to get the Duke streamed via internet.