PDA

View Full Version : Elliot Williams Cleared to Play for Memphis

airowe
08-21-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/aug/21/ncaa-clears-elliot-williams-play-memphis-basketbal/

So glad this Calipari stuff hasn't affected him...

BD80
08-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Interesting juxtaposition of announcements by the NCAA.

ACCBBallFan
08-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I wish Elliott well and pray for his mother who is so ill. Having her son there more often will hoipefully help her spirits.

gwwilburn
08-22-2009, 02:03 AM
I wish both him and his mother well. Real life is just more important than basketball. Good luck, E-Will!

G man
08-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I hope that he has a great year, and that the move will give him the chance to spend more time with his mother. Our prayers with you both.

elvis14
08-24-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm glad to hear that he was cleared to play and I hope he has a great season.

SupaDave
09-01-2009, 11:45 AM
E-Dub is predicted to break out this year in this B/R article...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/243734-austin-freeman-elliot-williams-top-list-of-players-poised-to-breakout

Memphis Devil
11-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't think that this has been posted anywhere, but for those of you interested, Memphis played an exhibition game on Tuesday against Lemoyne-Owen. Elliot posted a pretty solid stat line. Granted this was against inferior competion but Elliot is by far the most talented player the Tigers have this year. Perhaps, the most suprising stat is the 3 of 4 from beyond the arc.

Player FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA Off Def Tot PF TP A TO Blk Stl Min
WILLIAMS, E 8-11 3-4 5-6 1 5 6 1 24 6 4 0 2 28

http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110309aaa.html

Tim1515
11-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I think Elliot will put up much better numbers at Memphis then he would've at Duke. Much like King...i'm just not convinced the style of play he was comfortable with was ever going to adjust to the Duke style of play.

Ultimately i think Dawkins is built more to help Duke and for him to become a star in this system.

ScreechTDX1847
11-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I think Elliot will put up much better numbers at Memphis then he would've at Duke. Much like King...i'm just not convinced the style of play he was comfortable with was ever going to adjust to the Duke style of play.

Ultimately i think Dawkins is built more to help Duke and for him to become a star in this system.

I know this is an opinion but this is completely baseless. People on this board are ridiculous sometimes. If we lose a recruit people say, "He wasn't the right fit at Duke anyway" - "He we would not have been able to contribute." ETC ETC ETC

Try to be a little more objective. There is no way I would take a freshman Andrew Dawkins over a Sophmore Elliot Williams. I am fairly sure most people on this board would agree.

That being said, I am VERY happy to have Andre on our side and I am sure he will be an asset. But "C'mon man."

whereinthehellami
11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I was a big fan of Ewill. That kind of athletiscm is hard to come by. Its amazing how one player can change the dynamic of the team. If Ewill would have stayed, I could have seen a lineup of:

Smith 6-3 JR
Ewill 6-4 SO
Scheyer 6-5 SR
Singler 6-8 JR
Thomas 6-8 SR

juise
11-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree with the last two posters. Elliot would have been a tremendous asset to this year's team. Having another slasher (in addition to Nolan) would really elevate the offense. Though the exhibition game was not indicative of the talent he will face during the regular season, I expect that Elliot will significantly step up his game this year. I would not be surprised to see him on the C-USA first team... I would almost be surprised if he doesn't make it.

I wish him (and his family) all the best and am very disappointed that we won't have the privilege of having him play for Duke.

Tim1515
11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I know this is an opinion but this is completely baseless. People on this board are ridiculous sometimes. If we lose a recruit people say, "He wasn't the right fit at Duke anyway" - "He we would not have been able to contribute." ETC ETC ETC

Try to be a little more objective. There is no way I would take a freshman Andrew Dawkins over a Sophmore Elliot Williams. I am fairly sure most people on this board would agree.

That being said, I am VERY happy to have Andre on our side and I am sure he will be an asset. But "C'mon man."

Seriously? Did i sound bitter at all? Elliot is a slasher and a streaky shooter. He struggled picking up the defensives schemes (although did well when his man had the ball) and struggled more on offense.

Duke is a 3 point shooting team first. Dawkins is a great shooter...Elliot will probably be a good shooter but never a great one. My point is that Andre fits the Duke mold. Plus...he's more of a controlled system player to begin with.

Battierfan01
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Well what ever the reason for Elliott leaving, I wish him and his family the best of luck. E-Will is a super kid and I am really going to miss him this year. I hope he has a great college career and I hope his mom recovers and is there to enjoy his success.

ScreechTDX1847
11-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Seriously? Did i sound bitter at all? Elliot is a slasher and a streaky shooter. He struggled picking up the defensives schemes (although did well when his man had the ball) and struggled more on offense.

Duke is a 3 point shooting team first. Dawkins is a great shooter...Elliot will probably be a good shooter but never a great one. My point is that Andre fits the Duke mold. Plus...he's more of a controlled system player to begin with.

One word: "Freshman"

MulletMan
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Folks, if you find a post offensive, or believe that it reflects poorly on Duke or DBR, I urge you to report that post to the moderators instead of getting into a p***ing match with the offending poster. There are only so many of us, and we try to keep up with all the threads, but sometimes we get behind. Rather than have y'all completely throttle someone (which only clutters threads and brings the offending post more attention) just let us know. 99% of the time y'all know what flies here, we probably agree with you, and we'll take care of it.

ScreechTDX1847
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Folks, if you find a post offensive, or believe that it reflects poorly on Duke or DBR, I urge you to report that post to the moderators instead of getting into a p***ing match with the offending poster. There are only so many of us, and we try to keep up with all the threads, but sometimes we get behind. Rather than have y'all completely throttle someone (which only clutters threads and brings the offending post more attention) just let us know. 99% of the time y'all know what flies here, we probably agree with you, and we'll take care of it.

Seriously? There was nothing "offensive" about those posts; they were simply one person's opinion. Even though 99% of us disagree with the sentiment what is wrong with it being said?

Shall we burn some books too?

RepoMan
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Seriously? There was nothing "offensive" about those posts; they were simply one person's opinion. Even though 99% of us disagree with the sentiment what is wrong with it being said?

Shall we burn some books too?

I probably should not take the bait because we do not need this to devolve into another tedious discussion of "free speech," but the posts that were removed not only were offensive, they clearly were inconsistent with the intent of the site owners and reflected poorly on the community.

Ohiobobcat204
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
getting back to Ewill, i love this kid. Future all american no doubt.

Tim1515
11-05-2009, 05:07 PM
One word: "Freshman"

Yeah maybe.

It is hard to argue that good players won't become good players in just about every situation. Elliot will be good and would've been better as a sophomore at Duke then he was as a freshman. I just have a feeling he will be more comfortable in the Memphis system. At the same time I think Andre will be more comfortable at Duke then he would've been at Memphis.

Just my opinion

Ohiobobcat204
11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree

ScreechTDX1847
11-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah maybe.

It is hard to argue that good players won't become good players in just about every situation. Elliot will be good and would've been better as a sophomore at Duke then he was as a freshman. I just have a feeling he will be more comfortable in the Memphis system. At the same time I think Andre will be more comfortable at Duke then he would've been at Memphis.

Just my opinion

I hear you. In my opinion, he would have been a first team all-ACC had he stayed his full tenure at Duke. His defense was really start to "get there" in spurts at the end of the year too. Hopefully, Andre is as deadly a ranged shooter as people are making him out to be.

ScreechTDX1847
11-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I probably should not take the bait because we do not need this to devolve into another tedious discussion of "free speech," but the posts that were removed not only were offensive, they clearly were inconsistent with the intent of the site owners and reflected poorly on the community.

I don't want to go that road either. But, the moderators here go too far too often in my opinion.

Like I said, I completely disagree with the point of view but have no idea hwo it could be seen as offensive. If someone was offended...they really really need to get a life.

COYS
11-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah maybe.

Just my opinion

I'm always confused when people refer to the Duke "system" as being constraining. The only Duke system that consistently takes a while to learn is K's brand of defense, which requires 40 minutes of intensity and concentration and different rotations than many kids are used to coming out of high school. Duke's offense has seen many different forms just this decade. With the trees we have under the basket this year and their ability to handle the ball and pass, we would really be able to run with Williams on the floor. he wouldn't be constrained by anything. Three point shooting helps any team, obviously, and the only reason Duke is known for three point shooting is because K generally gives his guys the green light and our offensive spacing makes it easy to get them off. It doesn't mean that everybody has to be lights out from three to survive. Henderson certainly wasn't yet he transformed himself into a dominant player, nonetheless.

beltwayBD
11-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Congrats E-Will, and good luck to you and your mom.

chrisheery
11-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm always confused when people refer to the Duke "system" as being constraining.

I'll try to explain that point of view. Elliot Williams, like many young, very athletic players, who are much better than the competition they play against in high school, got used to dominating the ball and making "cool" moves followed by difficult shots. His high school you tube tapes are good examples. When he got to Duke, he was not "allowed" to make these loose ball-handling plays and it took him out of the style he was used to playing. Because of that, he struggled initially. With excellent coaching, though, he improved throughout the year. Some would say he would have looked more comfortable and played "better" if he was allowed to be more "free." Its all a matter of perspective, though. Duke values team play, consistency, great defense, and substance over style. Other teams allow a player to be a little more showy if the overall result is in their favor.

I am not saying E Will should have been treated differently, but many guys, including Nolan, have made reference to having to remove part of their style when they came to Duke. That is how Duke does things and it is the reason for Duke's consistency. It is also the reason some point to as why Duke players rarely develop into superstars in the NBA. My answer is that, if anything, learning to play under control while still having the creativity in your game when needed is what makes players NBA ready. NBA superstars are rare, and not every superstar is a great team player (ie their teams don't win that much -- TMac, Vince, AI, etc, etc). Just because someone has freedom and looks good with that freedom doesn't mean they are actually playing winning basketball. Duke teaches winning basketball, and putting up great numbers in a system that leads to a lot of losing probably doesn't really help a player develop into a better player overall. (Because players should be judged on winning, no on style points.)

diveonthefloor
11-09-2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/09/happy-homecoming/

WannabeDukie
11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
E-Will will make all C-USA this year and we can only sit back and watch... Good luck to him and his mother.