PDA

View Full Version : What if Paulus leads Syracuse to bowl game vs. Duke?

houstondukie
08-19-2009, 08:16 PM
That would be awkward.

allenmurray
08-19-2009, 08:41 PM
That would be awkward.

It would not be pretty. I am a huger Paulus fan. I am a many-years-running Duke Football season ticket holder. I think my head would explode.

mgtr
08-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I would probably have to root for Syracuse, not because I care anything about them, or because I dislike Duke, but because a lot of Dukies gave Greg Paulus a lot of grief when he was at at Duke. No need to rehash the complaints, but I don't think many people have given more and received less than GP. He definitely has his followers, and I am one. I wish him nothing but the best wherever he is.

gep
08-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I am also a big Greg Paulus fan. I think it would be great if this happens... what a story that would make. And... I know I can't lose in this one:D

BlueintheFace
08-19-2009, 09:07 PM
aaaaaaaawkward. Paulus for 300 yds and 4 touchdowns on 22/22 passing and Duke with the last second win please.

rthomas
08-19-2009, 09:16 PM
A better question: what are the odds that Syr and Duke meet in any bowl game this year?

I wouldn't agonize over the possibility.

jimsumner
08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Inasmuch as the two teams in question combined for a 7-17 mark last season, I suspect some may be expending their angst in vain.

mgtr
08-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Inasmuch as the two teams in question combined for a 7-17 mark last season, I suspect some may be expending their angst in vain.

But in the middle of August, what else is there to do but tilt at windmills?

BD80
08-19-2009, 09:36 PM
What if Salma Hayek and Michelle Pfeiffer each proposed to me the same evening?

rthomas
08-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Take both up on their charity.

Devilsfan
08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Things I'm tired of hearing about.
1.Obamacare
2.Bret Farve
3.Greg Paulus

Things I'm excied to hear about.
1.Duke Football under Coach Cut
2.Duke Basketball, anything Duke basketball
3.Duke alum playing in "professional leagues", all sports even Euro type futball.
4.Duke alum successful careers.

allenmurray
08-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Things I'm tired of hearing about.
1.Obamacare
2.Bret Farve
3.Greg Paulus

Things I'm excied to hear about.
1.Duke Football under Coach Cut
2.Duke Basketball, anything Duke basketball
3.Duke alum playing in "professional leagues", all sports even Euro type futball.
4.Duke alum successful careers.

Paulus is a Duke alum who gave his heart and soul to this university for four years. That you are tired of hearing abut him says more about you than him.

OldPhiKap
08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm more worried about Amaker's or Johnny D's meeting Duke in the Final Four. THAT is tough for me.

But in pigskin, I'll root for Paulus throwing for 4 TD's and Duke still winning by 10. I hope Greg has a wonderful year, and would love to have a two-bowl problem.

dukestheheat
08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, that would be awkward, but I need to get this out:

1) Greg didn't have a good/great end to his basketball career here at Duke.
2) He also caught a lot of flack from opposing fans and was the focus of more stupid, lewd and boorish crowd chants than I've ever heard in my whole life (example, at NC State when the State guard split open Greg's cheek with the elbow swipe).
3) He's a tremendous competitor.

Given the fact that he had a tough time on the court at times for Duke, I want for him, in the worst way, GREAT SUCCESS for one last season of competitive college sports. I want him to feel the great crowd noise and I want him to lead his team to at least a winning season. This would be The Great Redemption for Greg, and I am sure that every Duke fan wants this for our departed alum.

my $.02, dth.

gep
08-20-2009, 12:08 AM
But in pigskin, I'll root for Paulus throwing for 4 TD's and Duke still winning by 10. I hope Greg has a wonderful year, and would love to have a two-bowl problem.

Given the fact that he had a tough time on the court at times for Duke, I want for him, in the worst way, GREAT SUCCESS for one last season of competitive college sports. I want him to feel the great crowd noise and I want him to lead his team to at least a winning season. This would be The Great Redemption for Greg, and I am sure that every Duke fan wants this for our departed alum.

I agree with this. I would like to see Greg with a successful season... I'm a big Greg fan. But if the game comes about, I still want Duke to win... for Duke football, Coach Cut, and especially the football players (past and present) that persevered for all these years for Duke. In that way, I'm still a big Duke fan.

BD80
08-20-2009, 01:28 AM

Take both up on their charity.

Why, that would be bigame

RelativeWays
08-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Its easy for me. I'm a DUKE fan, not Syracuse, so while I'd want GP to have a decent game (and I do want him to be successful in his football endeavor) I'd ultimately want Duke to destroy the Orange, no former Duke BB player would change that.

Also, Salma Hayek all the way, no contest.

hurleyfor3
08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
What's a "bowl game"?

Indoor66
08-20-2009, 08:44 AM
What's a "bowl game"?

You know, the Turlet Bowl.

BlueintheFace
08-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Why, that would be bigame

Yes, it would be very big of you ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
08-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Its easy for me. I'm a DUKE fan, not Syracuse, so while I'd want GP to have a decent game (and I do want him to be successful in his football endeavor) I'd ultimately want Duke to destroy the Orange, no former Duke BB player would change that.

Agree 100%. Coach Cut and I are both predicting a bowl game for Duke this season. Not so sure about Paulus's team, but that would be fine and dandy with me!

JasonEvans
08-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Come on. This is simple.

You would have them compete for your love. I suggest a 3-out-of-5 Rock-Paper-Scissors.

--Jason "http://topnews.in/light/files/salma-hayek.jpg vs. http://www.xarj.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/michelle-pfeiffer.jpg" Evans

Reddevil
08-20-2009, 10:16 AM
What's a "bowl game"?

For this scenario to play out, both teams would have wildly succesful years versus the expectations, and everyone would be happy. During the bowl game itself, the quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard (not hurt of course, just hard). Best outcome: Paulus' is an accomplished winner, but Duke wins the game and both programs are resurrected.

hurleyfor3
08-20-2009, 10:26 AM
I think Selma has aged and/or been Photoshopped a lot better.

I actually just researched this. (The bowls, not Selma and Michelle.) It seems the only two bowls for which this would be possible (ACC vs. Big East) are the Gator Bowl and the bowl they play in Charlotte. The Meineke I'm Not Gonna Pay A Lot For This Bowl I think it's called. The Charlotte bowl is naturally lower down the food chain so would be more likely. Bowl games are generally not something I care about so this could be wrong.

Oh, I guess Duke and Syracuse could both be BCS teams too. Sure.

Memphis Devil
08-20-2009, 10:37 AM
For this scenario to play out, both teams would have wildly succesful years versus the expectations, and everyone would be happy. During the bowl game itself, the quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard (not hurt of course, just hard). Best outcome: Paulus' is an accomplished winner, but Duke wins the game and both programs are resurrected.

I don't know if .500 constitutes wildly successful, but I guess compared to a total of 7-17 it could be. Should both teams end up eligible, a bowl committee would be foolish not to consider this as a matchup. Outside of the BCS bowls, this would undoubtedly be the biggest story.

6th Man
08-20-2009, 12:05 PM
While I know this topic is mostly in jest, I find it interesting. The fact that some of you would struggle with who to pull for or that one of you would pull for Syracuse shows the general apathy towards the Duke football program. Part of what Coach Cut is trying to fix in Durham. Now if you like Duke basketball and Syracuse football I understand. But if you are a Duke fan, how could an individual off the basketball team trump a Duke bowl win after all of these years of suffering? I know everyone is different and entitled to their own opinions, but to me as a Duke fan, I find this a no-brainer. While I wish Paulus all of the luck in the world, I am a Duke fan and am excited about what is happening with the football program.

I guess I point out the apathy towards football because the struggle to pull for Paulus at the "Cuse" or Duke in a bowl game would not be the same for basketball. I am a fan of Elliot Williams. But I guarantee you that nobody that is a Duke fan would struggle about who to pull for if Memphis was to play Duke.

weezie
08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
A better question: what are the odds that Syr and Duke meet in any bowl game this year?

I wouldn't agonize over the possibility.

Yeah, it might also mean the the earth has started rotating backwards.
But gee, it would be damned near impossible to root against Greg from the ER bed where I would be recovering from the shock of seeing Duke make a bowl game.

formerdukeathlete
08-20-2009, 05:23 PM
.............. The fact that some of you would struggle with who to pull for or that one of you would pull for Syracuse shows the general apathy towards the Duke football program. ..........

National of the Year in high school, a Parade All American, recruited by the very best programs in the country as a quarterback. Greg fulfilled his dream playing for K at Duke. Now he is in the best possible situation at Syracuse to win and develop into an NFL qb if that is in the cards. Many Duke Football fans wanted to see what Greg could do at Duke in Football. (Season ticket sales are way up in Syracuse; if he had stayed at Duke, some of the same would have been the case, as well as garnering tremenous national media attention for Duke Football). Many Duke fans, like me, will be rooting for Duke Football quite avidly this season. Many of the same fans will be rooting for Syracuse Football just as avidly. Hence the conundrum. Nothing to do with apathy. Everything to do with Greg Paulus.

weezie
08-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Can't we all just get along?!

SupaDave
08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Can't we all just get along?!

LOL! BUT fda is right. It's more about Paulus than about Duke football. This site is called the Duke Basketball Report so it would seem normal that most folks here are a bit pro basketball which in turn makes most of us very pro Greg. It would be very hard to root against him now I assume and I most definitely wouldn't.

Syracuse is a program I've looked upon fondly since my youth. Donovan McNabb and Lawrence Moten (still wear my socks high in honor of Moten by the way). Billy Owens and Roney Siekely. Jim and Carmelo. Derrick Coleman and Jim Brown. Larry Csonka and Dwight Freeney. Lots to like here...

This is an almost typical fantasy football scenario - your fantasy player vs. your favorite team. You hope he goes off but you still hope he loses.

The reality is that if this scenario plays out there's a reason to cheer for BOTH teams.

Jim3k
08-21-2009, 03:17 AM
LOL!

Syracuse is a program I've looked upon fondly since my youth. Donovan McNabb and Lawrence Moten (still wear my socks high in honor of Moten by the way). Billy Owens and Roney Siekely. Jim and Carmelo. Derrick Coleman and Jim Brown. Larry Csonka and Dwight Freeney. Lots to like here...

Hey! If you're going to invoke #44 (Jim Brown), you need to mention Ernie Davis (Heisman) and Floyd Little (three-time AA when he could only play for three years), too. (Both Brown and Little finshed 5th in the Heisman voting their senior years.) ;)

Indoor66
08-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey! If you're going to invoke #44 (Jim Brown), you need to mention Ernie Davis (Heisman) and Floyd Little (three-time AA when he could only play for three years), too. (Both Brown and Little finshed 5th in the Heisman voting their senior years.) ;)

It used to be known as Fullback U.

formerdukeathlete
08-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Syracuse has slated games in the new Meadowlands stadium http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/08/syracuse_will_play_usc_notre_d.html

which will help their Program on the revenue side.

Boeheim and K coach together, talented new coaches at both schools, Greg Paulus, not to mention that Syracuse almost became a member of the ACC and is on the short list were we to expand to 14. Add the storied histories of both Programs, which were very good back in about the same day = kindred spirit.

4decadedukie
08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Greg and the Blue Devils should have 2009 seasons that allow Duke and Syracuse to meet in a bowl game. I'll worry about all the internecine complications should both universities become bowl eligible.

sagegrouse
08-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Boeheim and K coach together, talented new coaches at both schools, Greg Paulus, not to mention that Syracuse almost became a member of the ACC and is on the short list were we to expand to 14. Add the storied histories of both Programs, which were very good back in about the same day = kindred spirit.

Ah, yes. Syracuse in the ACC. Shoulda, woulda, coulda had Nan and her equally dunderheaded counterpart at UNC not confused philosophy and politics. Duke and UNC were the only two ACC schools opposed to expansion from nine to 12 teams. However, if expansion were forced on them, they preferred the private school troika of Miami, BC and the Cuse to any other combinations, especially any including Va Tech.

For the ACC as a whole, expansion required seven of the nine schools to agree (>75%). The Univ. of Virginia was the 7th vote. UVa, which actually loathed the idea of VT joining the conference, was precluded from approving any expansion plan that did not include the Hokies by its position as a state university.

So, rather than settle for the second best solution, Duke and UNC managed to achieve the worst possible solution by opposing any expansion plan. Hey, Nan! Hey, UNC! This ain't about principle; it's about results!

The Nobel Prize committee gave the nutty John Nash ("A Beautiful Mind") the Nobel Prize in analyzing how people could take account of the likely actions of others in planning their own actions. I guess that course fell out of the curriculum at the two campuses.

sagegrouse
'I love telling this tale, which has the unexpected virtue of being true'