PDA

View Full Version : Ray McCallum Jr

airowe
08-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Can't remember if this guy has his own thread and its too hard to check on my Blacknerry so forgive me if I'm duplicating Mods.

There's been a lot of recent chatter about this guy and he is definitely on our radar.

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/hoopsnews/mccallumgetsgeneticgiftandknowledgeofthegamefromfa ther

BD80
08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
From Detroit Country Day? Why would we ever take a player from a school like that? :rolleyes:

We have done OK with coaches' sons though, Capel, Hurley, Dunleavy and Collins come to mind. I seem to recall there have been multiple others, maybe McCaffrey and McClure?

MChambers
08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
From Detroit Country Day? Why would we ever take a player from a school like that? :rolleyes:

We have done OK with coaches' sons though, Capel, Hurley, Dunleavy and Collins come to mind. I seem to recall there have been multiple others, maybe McCaffrey and McClure?

Ferry, sort of, since his dad was a GM. Not sure about McCaffrey and McClure.

jimsumner
08-18-2009, 10:27 PM
"We have done OK with coaches' sons though, Capel, Hurley, Dunleavy and Collins come to mind. I seem to recall there have been multiple others"

Add Tony Lang and Sean Dockery.

roywhite
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
"We have done OK with coaches' sons though, Capel, Hurley, Dunleavy and Collins come to mind. I seem to recall there have been multiple others"

Add Tony Lang and Sean Dockery.

Going back to pre-K days, Dick DeVenzio.

airowe
08-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Hopefully Austin Rivers as well.

I know he wasn't a formal coach, but didn't McRoberts' Dad try his hand at managing playing time while Josh was here? ;)

Quo Vadis
08-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Hopefully Austin Rivers as well.

I know he wasn't a formal coach, but didn't McRoberts' Dad try his hand at managing playing time while Josh was here? ;)

You may be thinking of Burgess. McBob's parents were getting divorced while he was here, and apparantly it was kind of a bad situation. Long story short, I don't think McBob's dad was a stage dad.

As an aside, I know that McBob wasn't everything we wanted him to be, and he never lived up to his reputation, but there are a few mitigating circumstances that should be weighed in his favor.

1. His first year he played with 2 all-time Dukies, and he had respectable numbers for a frosh big. This board constantly reminds us that frosh bigs take time to adjust, and I think that was the case for Josh, especially considering that he had back troubles prior to, or immediately after the year. I can't remember for sure, but those back issues are dicey.

2. I know this will sound like bashing, and it sort of IS bashing, but I feel it needs to be said in McBob's defense. He never had a top flight PG to work with, and that is the one thing that every elite big truly needs to excell. This board loves Paulus, and I am very proud of my fellow alum for winning the starting job at the Cuse. Good on him. But he was not a great PG. Exhibit

We were all fooled his frosh year, thinking he had a great future ahead of him. We now know that the presence of JJ and Shel masked his dificencies. Now we know that he was a quality, undersized SG, and not a pass first, team running PG. That doesn't diminish his quality as a person, his effort as a Devil, his passion for the program, or anything else. He simply was not a quality starting PG on a high level team. Along side a quality PG, a la Devendorf at the Cuse, Paulus would have been a storied member of Duke's pantheon with a career full of timely threes and heady plays. But as PG he was not up to the task. And McBob needed a set up man.

Not that it was all Paulus's fault. We also lacked a quality three point threat after JJ graduated. Teams could play up on Paulus, our only real threat from the perimeter to restrict his shooting, while secure in the knowledge that he wouldn't penetrate arround them. No one else was a dangerous three point threat on that squad.

I agree that McBob underperformed, but he had none of the help that bigs need to thrive.

How great would McBob have been with a running PG like Lawson? Worth thinking about.