PDA

View Full Version : Letter Jackets/Letter Sweaters

NovaScotian
08-18-2009, 03:06 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a Duke Letterman Jacket or Letter Sweater similar to the ones in the 08 team poster (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/gallery/6411109_Nfo43#405970944_AKvg8)?

I'm dying to get one but my google searches are fruitless. There are companies that will make these jackets, but they cost mad bills, and I'm wondering if there is a cheaper and duke-endorsed option.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a Duke Letterman Jacket or Letter Sweater similar to the ones in the 08 team poster (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/gallery/6411109_Nfo43#405970944_AKvg8)? (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/gallery/6411109_Nfo43#405970944_AKvg8%29?)

I'm dying to get one but my google searches are fruitless. There are companies that will make these jackets, but they cost mad bills, and I'm wondering if there is a cheaper and Duke-endorsed option.
You put the words "cheaper" and "Duke endorsed" in the same sentence. Doesn't happen and doesn't exist. Do it right or don't do it at all, that's the Duke way! :cool:

DukeFencer
08-18-2009, 08:11 AM
the athletes get them at the duke store, but I've never known anyone to purchase one through them...

yancem
08-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Not that this answers the question but my Dad lettered in track back in the 60's and back then you received a white sweater your sophomore year, a blue sweater your junior year and your choice of a jacket or blanket your senior year. My Dad, he choose the blanket? Now don't get me wrong it was/is a very nice heavy wool blanket but he had a chance to have a sweet Duke letterman's jacket and he choose the blanket! Oh, well.

sagegrouse
08-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Not that this answers the question but my Dad lettered in track back in the 60's and back then you received a white sweater your sophomore year, a blue sweater your junior year and your choice of a jacket or blanket your senior year. My Dad, he choose the blanket? Now don't get me wrong it was/is a very nice heavy wool blanket but he had a chance to have a sweet Duke letterman's jacket and he choose the blanket! Oh, well.

The letter sweater business was different, as I remember it, in the good old days. One color (blue?) was for underclassmen who lettered in a single sport. The other (white?) was for those who lettered in more than one sport. As a result, most of those wearing white sweaters were track/cross country and among the thinnest guys on campus.

sagegrouse

yancem
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
The letter sweater business was different, as I remember it, in the good old days. One color (blue?) was for underclassmen who lettered in a single sport. The other (white?) was for those who lettered in more than one sport. As a result, most of those wearing white sweaters were track/cross country and among the thinnest guys on campus.

sagegrouse

You may be correct but that is how I remember my dad explaining it to me when I was in HS. He had both a white and a blue sweater that I occasionally borrowed.

sagegrouse
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
You may be correct but that is how I remember my dad explaining it to me when I was in HS. He had both a white and a blue sweater that I occasionally borrowed.

BTW, congratulations on being Jeff Mullins on your previous post! He was an all-time great, a classmate, and a heckuva nice guy. Jeff was class president my senior year, succeeding Charlie Rose.

sagegrouse