PDA

View Full Version : Greg Paulus Starting Quarterback for Syracuse

CameronCraziex3
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I just got the ESPN update on my cell

"Former Duke Pg Greg Paulus has been named Syracuse's starting QB entering the 2009 season"

Congrats Greg! Good Luck!

Newton_14
08-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Now that is awesome. Way to go Greg! You are the man. How can anyone not love this guy.

So I guess that makes all of us Syracuse Football fans! Maybe we will see some Paulus Football Jersey's in the Duke store?? Save one for me!!

Go Greg Paulus and Go Duke Orangeman!

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2009, 10:36 PM
WOW, that's stunning! Best of luck Greg!
Nothing on ESPN's site on it though.

grossbus
08-17-2009, 10:39 PM
wow, echo that!

FireOgilvie
08-17-2009, 10:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4406074

Good news.

Lord Ash
08-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Wow. This has got to be one of the wildest sports stories (of the non-sordid type) I have ever heard.

I really, really hope Greg does great, he totally deserves it.

moonpie23
08-17-2009, 10:52 PM
congrats GREG.....very nice...

wolfpackdevil
08-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Congrats to Greg, and he has a very tough schedule ahead of him.

Syracuse is a Big East Football team but they start the season with these 3 games:

Vs. Minnesota

At Penn State

Vs. Northwestern

Hope he does well.

BlueintheFace
08-17-2009, 11:17 PM
I look forward to watching ESPN montages of Paulus hitting threes followed by Paulus throwing TDs

OZZIE4DUKE
08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Congrats Greg! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

formerdukeathlete
08-17-2009, 11:53 PM
what ozzie and K said. Greg Paulus is really, really good at QB.

gep
08-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Just AWESOME!!!! what a summer so far... go get 'um, GREG.

jacone21
08-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Nice pocket. Hope he can get that in the games. :)

http://www.suathletics.com/images/2009/8/17/rp_primary_IMG_2733_web.jpg

mgtr
08-18-2009, 01:46 AM
I hope this puts paid to a lot of Paulus naysayers. The guy is for real.

Hancock 4 Duke
08-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Good news as I wake up, and I found the link. http://suathletics.com/news/2009/8/17/FB_0817094208.aspx
Of to the first day of school

weezie
08-18-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm so proud of him!

CameronCraziex3
08-18-2009, 08:57 AM
WOW, that's stunning! Best of luck Greg!
Nothing on ESPN's site on it though.

When I got it last night, there was absolutely NOTHING on the internet, which was weird, since ESPN sent me the alert

rthomas
08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Paulus' first game will be on ESPN 2/ESPN 360 September 5 at noon - against Minnesota.

Then he gets Penn State the following week.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
So happy to hear that Greg is doing well. We'll all be cheering for him. :)

BD80
08-18-2009, 09:09 AM
After just one week of practice?

What does that say about the other QBs on the roster?

I am having a great deal of fun with this with my Notre Dame friends, a QB so good he can give up the game for 4 years and come back to start in the Big East turned down ND to play PG for Duke!

bjornolf
08-18-2009, 09:19 AM
After just one week of practice?

What does that say about the other QBs on the roster?

I am having a great deal of fun with this with my Notre Dame friends, a QB so good he can give up the game for 4 years and come back to start in the Big East turned down ND to play PG for Duke!

That's what I was thinkin'. Not saying that GP isn't great and won't do well, but if a guy that hasn't worn pads in FOUR years can just walk in and get the starting job, they must have had bupkis at the QB position before he came in. I hope this doesn't bode ill for him. He's gonna be a little rusty, and will need some good players at supporting positions to help him out 'til he gets his feet under him. I HOPE that Syracuse has those players for him. If not, it could be ugly.

sagegrouse
08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
That's what I was thinkin'. Not saying that GP isn't great and won't do well, but if a guy that hasn't worn pads in FOUR years can just walk in and get the starting job, they must have had bupkis at the QB position before he came in. I hope this doesn't bode ill for him. He's gonna be a little rusty, and will need some good players at supporting positions to help him out 'til he gets his feet under him. I HOPE that Syracuse has those players for him. If not, it could be ugly.

You are probably right, but you have to admit this is a really great story, however it turns out.

sagegrouse

Cavlaw
08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
So I guess that makes all of us Syracuse Football fans!

Well... no. But I do hope Paulus performs well. :)

formerdukeathlete
08-18-2009, 10:27 AM

You are wrong in how you have characterized what Greg has done at 'Cuse, and the level of talent at the position. Ryan Nassib, a redshirt freshman had improved tremendously over the summer after having been named starter for Syracuse during spring practice. He was ranked by scout 82 among qbs in his recruiting class, all City in Philie, first team all prep league, good measurables, strong arm. Duke's two qbs in the 2010 class are ranked by scout Connette - 60 and Boone 102 - so Nassib would be right in the middle. Rankings are what they are, but no one is saying that Boone does not deserve a Duke offer, or that his skills are "bupkis." Paulus also has worked really hard up there and did not "just walk in."

You might watch the practice videos on Syracuse's athletics website. Quite frankly, i have not seen any qb move as quickly laterally in the pocket (transference from championship level d-1 point guard), and Syracuse was just about blown away by his speed, accuracy passing, and the pace at which he picked up the offense. He makes a lot of qbs starting d-1 look like in slow motion.

The question at this point, with one of the best talents among d-1 qbs, how many games will Syracuse win?

airowe
08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
A lot of comments on Paulus from Big East coaches to Joe Schad plus a programming note, ESPN's College Football Live will be Paulus-heavy at 3:30.

http://twitter.com/schadjoe

I hope Paulus can prove all his doubters wrong and prove all his backers right.

bjornolf
08-18-2009, 11:29 AM
You are wrong in how you have characterized what Greg has done at 'Cuse, and the level of talent at the position. Ryan Nassib, a redshirt freshman had improved tremendously over the summer after having been named starter for Syracuse during spring practice. He was ranked by scout 82 among qbs in his recruiting class, all City in Philie, first team all prep league, good measurables, strong arm. Duke's two qbs in the 2010 class are ranked by scout Connette - 60 and Boone 102 - so Nassib would be right in the middle. Rankings are what they are, but no one is saying that Boone does not deserve a Duke offer, or that his skills are "bupkis." Paulus also has worked really hard up there and did not "just walk in."

You might watch the practice videos on Syracuse's athletics website. Quite frankly, i have not seen any qb move as quickly laterally in the pocket (transference from championship level d-1 point guard), and Syracuse was just about blown away by his speed, accuracy passing, and the pace at which he picked up the offense. He makes a lot of qbs starting d-1 look like in slow motion.

The question at this point, with one of the best talents among d-1 qbs, how many games will Syracuse win?

Okay, "walked in" wasn't worded very well and wasn't really what I meant. However, if a guy can come in at spring practice, even if he's worked REALLY hard, who hasn't played the sport in FOUR years, and pick up the system faster than and take over for guys that have had time in that system, then I'm guessing those guys were either overrated, or something else is going on. Maybe GP is just the second coming. I'm not saying that's not possible. I'm just surprised that he could do that, that's all. And I can CERTAINLY understand that GP's lateral speed and pocket presence would be impressive. The question is, how will he respond to wearing pads and getting hit. He hasn't been "hit" in a football type situation (not counting some vicious picks he's taken on the hardwood) in four years. That can be tough to get used to again.

cato
08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
He hasn't been "hit" in a football type situation (not counting some vicious picks he's taken on the hardwood) in four years.

I seem to recall the scorer's table laying him out at least once. And he wasn't even wearing pads!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
It's easy to cite other factors suggesting that Greg has been named starting quarterback from a group of not so stellar choices. I tend to think it's his talent and skill more than any other factor which landed him the starter's position.

allenmurray
08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
It's easy to cite other factors suggesting that Greg has been named starting quarterback from a group of not so stellar choices. I tend to think it's his talent and skill more than any other factor which landed him the starter's position.

Given the extraordinary work ethic he showed as a Blue Devil, until I see otherwise I'll also assume it was his hard work and talent, and not the failings of others, that put GP into the starting spot.

bjornolf
08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I DEFINITELY hope you're right, and will be following him closely. I'd LOVE to see him succeed, and even go on to have a good NFL career. If the Jason Campbell project fails this year, maybe Danny boy can draft him for my Redskins. I would LOVE it if GP3 had an amazing career with my Skins and ended up in the ring of fame.

ice-9
08-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Okay, "walked in" wasn't worded very well and wasn't really what I meant. However, if a guy can come in at spring practice, even if he's worked REALLY hard, who hasn't played the sport in FOUR years, and pick up the system faster than and take over for guys that have had time in that system, then I'm guessing those guys were either overrated, or something else is going on. Maybe GP is just the second coming. I'm not saying that's not possible. I'm just surprised that he could do that, that's all. And I can CERTAINLY understand that GP's lateral speed and pocket presence would be impressive. The question is, how will he respond to wearing pads and getting hit. He hasn't been "hit" in a football type situation (not counting some vicious picks he's taken on the hardwood) in four years. That can be tough to get used to again.

This might seem like a stretch, but if you think about it, it's sorta like Michael Jordan not playing basktball for 2 years and STILL dominating when he returned.

obsesseddukefan
08-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Anyone know where I can find one, or when they will come out? :)

airowe
08-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Anyone know where I can find one, or when they will come out? :)

I don't think you can get an official one with his name on it until after he's done playing.

gep
08-18-2009, 03:18 PM
From the ESPN article...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4406074
"He has instincts that are hard to teach," Marrone said. "He knows how to look people off, how to take control of the game and how to change plays.

"If you had ever met Greg Paulus, you'd understand and I wouldn't get a lot of the questions that I get," Marrone said.

So, I would think that even if Greg's football skills are at least equal or even a bit less than the other QB's, Greg's maturity, leadership qualities, "instincts" are what pushed him over the line to starting.

roywhite
08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Big Duke and Paulus fan, but also a Penn State football fan (brother and father went there, love JoePa, etc.).

This will be a very good Penn State defense, especially their front 7. Syracuse playing at Penn State in week 2 will be quite a test. Greg's ability to avoid a rush and take a hit will be seriously tested.

kmspeaks
08-18-2009, 11:57 PM
I DEFINITELY hope you're right, and will be following him closely. I'd LOVE to see him succeed, and even go on to have a good NFL career. If the Jason Campbell project fails this year, maybe Danny boy can draft him for my Redskins. I would LOVE it if GP3 had an amazing career with my Skins and ended up in the ring of fame.

I would think if Paulus has a good year then Snyder would love, love, love to get him in a Redskins uniform. I'm not saying that drafting GP would or would not be a good football decision but let's be honest, how much does football factor in to a lot of decisions made by Danny boy. I can imagine that if Paulus is successful he will be one of the most talked about QB's on the ESPN family of networks. That type of publicity would have Snyder seeing $$$. He would be licking his chops thinking about all the jerseys to be sold not only in the DC area but in New York and North Carolina as well.

PumpkinFunk
08-19-2009, 01:36 AM
I would think if Paulus has a good year then Snyder would love, love, love to get him in a Redskins uniform. I'm not saying that drafting GP would or would not be a good football decision but let's be honest, how much does football factor in to a lot of decisions made by Danny boy. I can imagine that if Paulus is successful he will be one of the most talked about QB's on the ESPN family of networks. That type of publicity would have Snyder seeing $$$. He would be licking his chops thinking about all the jerseys to be sold not only in the DC area but in New York and North Carolina as well.

I don't know what I think of Synderrato picking Paulus, unless he's legitimately the QB of the future. It'd be a wasted pick early on (versus C/G/OTs, who we desperately need), given the high possibility of our Skins signing some highly-hyped QB or keeping JC after a breakout year. Publicity is all well and good, but Synderrato wants to win championships, not win publicity anymore. Unless Paulus astounds us this year on the way to anything close to a Heisman finalist, he's not the best QB prospect at this point for the NFL. He'd be a project, for sure.

gw67
08-19-2009, 08:00 AM
The Post has an interesting article on Paulus in this morning's edition. Included in the article are interesting observations by Syracuse coach, some thoughts on why he didn't go out for Duke football, and identification of others who are trying a second sport (e.g. Jimmy Graham of Miami).

I hope that Greg has a nice season. He gave his all for the Devils' bball team and I suspect that his career did not end the way he hoped. I understand that it goes with the territory but I cringed and stayed away from several basketball threads in the past couple of years because of the strong criticisms heaped on him by Duke fans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/18/AR2009081801267.html?sub=AR

gw67

CameronBornAndBred
08-19-2009, 08:07 AM
I would LOVE it if GP3 had an amazing career with my Skins and ended up in the ring of fame.
It's GP2 now.:D

formerdukeathlete
08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
The Post has an interesting article on Paulus in this morning's edition. Included in the article are interesting observations by Syracuse coach, some thoughts on why he didn't go out for Duke football, and identification of others who are trying a second sport (e.g. Jimmy Graham of Miami).

I hope that Greg has a nice season. He gave his all for the Devils' bball team and I suspect that his career did not end the way he hoped. I understand that it goes with the territory but I cringed and stayed away from several basketball threads in the past couple of years because of the strong criticisms heaped on him by Duke fans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/18/AR2009081801267.html?sub=AR

gw67

From the article:

' "If you play for any major program and you have a leadership role on the team -- whether it's as a quarterback or a point guard -- you got to know what everyone is doing at all times, you got to tell people what to do if they're in the wrong position, you got to be vocal," Yates said. "It's definitely very similar being a point guard and being a quarterback in the ACC. I definitely think he'll jump in there and do a good job."

The experiment will incite curiosity, if not skepticism.

"I'm used to see him shooting the three. Now he's throwing the rock," Lewis said. "I wish him the best of luck, but he hasn't thrown the rock in forever. So we'll see." '

TJ Yates was more positive, gracious than Thad Lewis as quoted in the Post article. But, then, TJ, like the folks in Syracuse, has seen him throw the "rock."

kmspeaks
08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't know what I think of Synderrato picking Paulus, unless he's legitimately the QB of the future. It'd be a wasted pick early on (versus C/G/OTs, who we desperately need), given the high possibility of our Skins signing some highly-hyped QB or keeping JC after a breakout year. Publicity is all well and good, but Synderrato wants to win championships, not win publicity anymore. Unless Paulus astounds us this year on the way to anything close to a Heisman finalist, he's not the best QB prospect at this point for the NFL. He'd be a project, for sure.

I guess you give Snyder more credit than I do. I have no doubt he wants to win as the guy is the ultimate fan. I just don't think he has the slightest clue as to how to go about winning. Drafting Paulus because it will make a splash and/or increase merchandise sales rather than because he will make the team better seems like standard operating procedure in DC with Snyder in charge.
To be clear, the only way I want Paulus in a Redskins uniform is if he blows everyone away and shows himself to be a much better QB than Jason Campbell -or- sign him as an undrafted free agent to be 2nd or 3rd string QB.

Rudy
08-19-2009, 11:33 AM
I'd love to see Greg do really well and I hope he's having a ball. But Syracuse just isn't a very good football team and to expect him to excel without a good team around him isn't realistic. SI.com ranks Syracuse at the bottom of the Big East and predicts an in-conference record of 1-6 and out-of-conference at 3-9.

Nevertheless, I'll watch them if they get on t.v. in my area.

Bluedog
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Paulus was interviewed by Dan Patrick today. It can be found here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/74842/index.html

Channing
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I guess you give Snyder more credit than I do. I have no doubt he wants to win as the guy is the ultimate fan. I just don't think he has the slightest clue as to how to go about winning. Drafting Paulus because it will make a splash and/or increase merchandise sales rather than because he will make the team better seems like standard operating procedure in DC with Snyder in charge.
To be clear, the only way I want Paulus in a Redskins uniform is if he blows everyone away and shows himself to be a much better QB than Jason Campbell -or- sign him as an undrafted free agent to be 2nd or 3rd string QB.

as an aside, if Chase Daniels keeps up the good play there could be a little controversy brewing in the District this year.

johnb
08-24-2009, 05:31 PM
From the article:

"I'm used to see him shooting the three. Now he's throwing the rock," Lewis said. "I wish him the best of luck, but he hasn't thrown the rock in forever. So we'll see." '

I don't know any of the guys personally and so have absolutely no actual data, but I can imagine that there'd be a bit of tension elicited in guys (like TL) who have been sweating in Duke pads for the past few years when a bball star--who's been on tv every week for 4 years--returns to football and is again on espn before he's even taken a snap. It's also interesting that a couple of years ago there was talk about the 3 highest rated hs qb's on campus being on the bball team (Nelson, Singler, and Paulus); this may not have been true about their hs rankings, but it's hard to imagine that such talk didn't get back to the actual qb's on the football team. I could also imagine that Coach C elected to not put Paulus on the qb depth chart not out of concern for Paulus's feelings but for team morale. On a team that is coming into its own, Paulus would be a distraction as a backup qb, and given the guys we have coming in, he'd certainly be no higher than 3rd string. But you know that the average fan would be rooting for Greg to become the starter, both because he was national poy but to see if he could do it. Much better to go to Syracuse.

mgtr
08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Go Greg!!!! Prove all these doubters wrong. I am with you all the way (well, at least as long I don't have to take the hits!)