PDA

View Full Version : Vaya con Dios

Jim3k
08-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Les Paul said good-bye, today, at 94. I, for one, am very happy that Julio mentioned his passing on the front page. He was a true American legend -- the father of the electric guitar, the inventor of the 8-track recording and without him, rock & roll would never have happened. His signature song is the one I want to use to say good-bye: Vaya Con Dios (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6H68AcvQE), with wife Mary Ford on the vocal. (It was just her, singing harmony with herself, a Les Paul mixing trick. But just catch his guitar fingering.

Vaya con Dios, Les. I was just a 12 when you made this a hit. It's an American classic.

Real names: Lester William Polfus (of Waukesha, WI) (sometimes known as Red Hot Red) and Iris Colleen Summers (of El Monte, CA). They divorced in 1964. She remarried and later died in 1977. He continued to play into his 90s.

Teton Jack
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM
While saddened at the passing of a legend like Les Paul, I was pleased to have his death recognized on DBR. Paul's impact on music was like K's on basketball - hard to imagine what it would be like if he hadn't come along.

CN

The Gordog
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Les Paul said good-bye, today, at 94. I, for one, am very happy that Julio mentioned his passing on the front page. He was a true American legend -- the father of the electric guitar, the inventor of the 8-track recording and without him, rock & roll would never have happened. His signature song is the one I want to use to say good-bye: Vaya Con Dios (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6H68AcvQE), with wife Mary Ford on the vocal. (It was just her, singing harmony with herself, a Les Paul mixing trick. But just catch his guitar fingering.

Vaya con Dios, Les. I was just a 12 when you made this a hit. It's an American classic.

Real names: Lester William Polfus (of Waukesha, WI) (sometimes known as Red Hot Red) and Iris Colleen Summers (of El Monte, CA). They divorced in 1964. She remarried and later died in 1977. He continued to play into his 90s.

He also taught Steve Miller his first chords.

moonpie23
08-14-2009, 11:35 AM
a visionary like les only comes around every so often.....much of my job depends on innovations from his mind...

mgtr
08-14-2009, 02:58 PM
A year or so ago I stumbled on some articles about Jack Mullin and Dick Ranger and the development of tape recorders. Bing Crosby and Les Paul were both involved, and Ampex brought the machines ("liberated" from Germany at the end of the war) into production. Fascinating info, if you are interested in that stuff. community.mcckc.edu/CROSBY/mullin.htm

slower
08-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Paul's impact on music was like K's on basketball

but I'm not sure that you're really comparing apples to apples there.